I want to buy my first car. I really want it to be Jeep Grand Cherokee I. I would mostly use it to drive in town

I want to buy my first car. I really want it to be Jeep Grand Cherokee I. I would mostly use it to drive in town.
I heard they often break and the parts are expensive, I know nothing about cars.
I just love old Jeeps, you guys think it will be a good decision?

>I just love old Jeeps, you guys think it will be a good decision?

no.

get a bronco or blazer instead.

No.
Get a RAV4. Its more capable and wont break.

If you're going to get an old 4-door Jeep, you should really get one with an AMC engine. They lost their wonderful simplicity after Chrysler started designing them.

Thanks, guys for the suggestions, gonna check them out.
What about Toyota 4Runner?

Jeep grand Cherokee are piles of garbage. I know you won't listen, so i wont bother trying really hard to convince you. My coworker asked me the same question, i told her not to buy it, because it'll just be problem after problem. She bought it anyway, and when i told her i told her so, she was like "Listen, don't fucing tell me i fucked up, i know that now, there is no use rubbing it in my face"

4runner is great. Get 97+ though.
Also rust and ball joints

I mean I REALLY wanna buy it, but I also wanna keep my head cool. That's why I ask you guys, since I know nothing about cars. I don't wanna buy the car cheap and put a lot of money into it. I just can't afford a repair after repair.

They're not that bad in all honesty. The real thing to look out for is electrical problems.

if you love old jeeps you should learn more about the grand Cherokee. It was a complete departure for Jeep into a more, uh, I guess luxurious targeted market. The way it was originally marketed is really gimmicky. It's a unibody piece of garbage made for soccer moms and defeated husbands.

I think the Cherokee would be a better choice, though it's also unibody. I would get a Suzuki Samurai before I'd ever get a Grand Cherokee

>more capable
>driving in town

Xj Cherokee will run longer than your Parents will live

>his parents are dead

The biggest issue you will run into with these (and frankly anything this old) is the third/4th owner that the truck is likely on will have neglected any sort of maintenance other than oil changes.

Take your time, try to find a 1/2 owner truck with a solid ownership history (maintenance records). What is your budget? ZJ or WJ?

>jeep
>capable of anything except blowing diffs and leaking oil

i don't mind them

4 litres are good

I'm gonna be buying it in June/July, so i still need some more money, but I plan to spend like $2,000 dollars.

Well at that low end of the spectrum, let me say this: aim to buy something for $2k, and have another $1k at least in reserve just to catch it up on basic repairs and maintenance. Frankly, if you will just have the $2k for both purchase and repairs, I'd say a 4wd SUV is simply not for you (or frankly, just about any car).

Parts for Jeeps tend to be available and cheap, and they're not bad to work on as a whole, but the key for you will be to DIY absolutely everything. If you're prepared to do that, then you might just pull it off. If as you state you have no mechanical skills and don't learn quickly, this $2k Jeep will be equivalent to setting your $2k on fire.

I understand. Well I didnt plan to spend $2k and that's it. I know that I'd have to replace and buy some parts maybe. The thing I'm most afraid of is that it's going to be breaking a lot. And I dont want to keep putting money in it.
I can buy it and put some money in the beginning.
I don't think it would be breaking that much if I just use it to drive in town, tho.

Yea if you can find one without rust. Those trucks are badass, OP would not be unhappy if he got one. Also, dont get a Grand Cherokee. Get a Cherokee XJ or something.

can you please explain why?

If you really need something that you can rely on to get to a job, I'd seriously recommend to sticking with something like a Civic/Corolla/Accord/Camry or maybe even something like a Cavalier.

With a 4wd Jeep, you'll have 2 axles, a transfer case (with a potentially problematic viscous coupling), as well as a potentially troublesome automatic transmission, a front end that I guarantee will need going through to avoid shimmying on the highway.

Not saying it's a guaranteed disaster, but as someone who's now a bit older and wiser, I can honestly recommend getting something reliable and easier/cheaper to maintain starting out. Once you get a handle of some basics wrenching on a generic FWD sedan, then get your "dream" Jeep in a few years.