Lying to employer to say I have a degree... using degree someone with the same name has

I have a really common name. Similar to "John Smith" - I found 4 people my age and ethnicity that graduated high school the same years as I did. These 4 people have basic degrees such as Communications and Business Administration.

Just to try it out, I pretended to be an employer and called X University to confirm that "John Smith" has a degree from there. They said yes, he graduated on X year and attended between Y year and X year.

I went to a town over and applied and said I graduated from X University and have a Bachelors in the basic degree this guy has. I used my actual references and current employer reference. I did not list a social security anywhere or anything like that. I had 2 interviews and was offered a role at a shit logistics company for $62k/yr. About 6k more than I make now. I pussed out and turned it down. They offered me 70k a year.

I am very much considering falsifying my education to work a nicer job while I attend a university and actually get a degree and go work somewhere. I wont be applying at top companies and plan to lay low and not try to seek out promotions.

It cant be as simple as using a matching name as someone else who actually got a degree, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

shakelaw.com/blog/lying-on-your-resume/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have a very common name as well. Whats to stop us? I would personally be scared i wouldnt know wtf to do in the workplace. Performing the job would be a challenge.

>It cant be as simple as using a matching name as someone else who actually got a degree, right?

Apparently it can if you already received an offer. Do it. Just be careful.

shakelaw.com/blog/lying-on-your-resume/

Depending on where you live you could be fined $1,000 or worse, but I imagine most of the people that get caught literally just lie and have no advantage like a common name. Human resources people are lazy, I almost guarantee they're not looking at social security numbers and things like that-they just want to meet with you and see if they like you, they'll certainly call the school and ask about you by name, but I don't think your social security number comes into play until you're writing up your w2.

Keep in mind also, a $1,000 fine is NOTHING compared to the expense of actually attaining a degree anyway, so go for it, you sly dog.

I was told a story about a guy who lied and said he got his bachelors degree from some university, when he actually dropped out from that university. Worked for Boeing for decades and did a great job too. They fired him when they found out about it.
And to think he could have just gone back to college and gotten his degree, he'd probably still have his job.

Yeah but considering OP wouldn't get hired by these people either way it's not that big of a risk, so long as he avoids making any major purchases. If it took a company like Boeing DECADES to find out who gives a shit? Now his resume is padded with the fact he's worked at Boeing for 20+ years which is probably better than any diploma anyway.

This is actually hilarious.

What the point of the piece of paper anyways? he did great in his job and he didn't bother with the paper and still fired him.

Also keep in mind, Im talking about working for smaller and less "prestigious" companies than Boeing. I'm talking about doing this at small steel processing companies that only exist by servicing bigger companies such as John Deere.

So, do universities Not ask for a social security number or anything? (These companies dont have my social anyways, just a resume) They generally just ask for a first and last name? I am thinking about calling a high school tomorrow and having my high school graduation information match my university information.

There has to be a ton of "James Miller" guys doing shit like this already.

Do it.

This is fucking genius.

What's the worst that could happen? They fire you, who gives a fuck.

> worked for decades

So who cares, he got away with decades of pay. I bet he could just work somewhere else after that.

I don't see much risk here.

It might be fraud or something but I say it's worth the rist. The real fraud is a 4 year degree and debt

i do it all the time

the way I see it, is the worse thing they can do is not hire you/waste your time.

Or hire you, make you quit old job, fire you for lieing on your resume, no unemployment

OP update: I called the high school this other "John Smith" person went to and confirmed that the school didnt require a social security number or anything.

I created a new resume and uploaded it to Indeed.

I sent a resume to 12 places with my new degree. I added my current employer to my work history. My current employer starts sucking your dick when other companies call your contract company (fancy name for long term temp agency. Been here for 4 years) and ask to verify your employment. My current job and title is a job only people with degrees have usually, so because I am currently employed and have a decent title and responsibilities I feel like I have a bit of an edge.

Also, I have 240 hours of paid time off because Ive never taken a day off since I started. That is 20 shift days... so my plan is to put in for all of my time to be used the first month I start somewhere else.

So far I have got a response from a company that manufactures brake assemblies or works on brake assemblies for a railroad company or railcars or something. Another was Aflac. Im going to give it a couple days before I contact anyone.

Hey OP, I'm thinking of doing this as well. Are you in the US?

How did you find out that other people with your name had gotten degrees in specific majors?

>I have got a response from a company that manufactures brake assemblies or works on brake assemblies for a railroad company or railcars or something

Pls don't kill anyone

>The real fraud is a 4 year degree and debt

Smartest thing I've seen on Veeky Forums in months.

Im in the U.S. and I found these same-names on Facebook that shows where they went to school. A couple people obviously lied on FB because two people I checked up on either didnt complete their degree courses or didnt attend. Whivh is too bad, one of them even looked like me.

Similar question, let's say I worked at a company two times, but with a one year gap between each contract. For example, I worked at Company A for two years, then got let go, then rehired on in a year later for 6 months.

What would happen if I just not include that one year gap in my resume to make it look like I worked there for a longer time?

How do you find these people and their degrees? Just social media?

HR will probably only tell them the length of the last time you were employed

>So, do universities Not ask for a social security number or anything?

It's probably a HIPPA violation or some shit for them to actually give out your SSN.

external certification

You can be the best driver in the world but no one will trust you if you don't have a license.