Is driving automatic really that bad or is it a meme...

Is driving automatic really that bad or is it a meme? It's impossible to learn to drive stick without just taking the plunge and buying a stick shift car, but I need a beater to just drive to work every day and learning stick shift on the fucking highway is not conducive to this end. Are people on Veeky Forums just rich or something that they can afford to own a car for "fun" and a grocery getter? Or are most of you guys euros who drive manual because hardly anyone there even owns a vehicle?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pqF-aBtTBnY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Are people on Veeky Forums just rich or something

mfw

No, just smart enough to spot a half decent manual car and learn to daily it, all 30% of us that actually know how to drive manual that is...

From my experience, if you don't know anyone that knows how to drive manual, you're fucked. Lessons from an instructor are extremely expensive because it's a niche market and buying a stick car and learning by trial and error isn't very smart because you could hurt yourself or someone else.

manuals are slower than automatics.

I bought a car for 500 dollars CAD. It was manual and I had no idea how to drive stick. I stalled three times in the guys yard, but after the two hour drive home I had my head around it pretty good.

>tfw 1am, important appointment in the morning but sitting here making idiotic shoops

Why the fuck needs to be taught to drive manual.
Look up a youtube video if you don't understand the process behind it.

I saw a manual car at a used car lot, prior experience with riding motorcycles. The clutch in a car needs to be babied a lot more compared to a bike, but I got it moving during the test drive.

Was nervous as shit, but didnt stall. Getting to work the first week was scary (couple hills on the way to work) but just kept practicing. Hill starts are fun now.

>tldr just watch videos on how to do it, go to a dealership and be confident in your test drive

>Played forza since I was a kid
>always play on auto
>decide one day to try manual
>fuck my shit up immediately
>watched videos, read articles, learned everything I need to know about manual cars
>years later buy my first manual car
>stalled it a couple times until I got the hang of it
>"just remember your training"
And that's how I taught myself to drive stick

I went to a dealership and I stalled. The indian car salesman was getting angry with me and interfering with what I was doing, trying to shift for me telling me when to press the clutch. Fucking unbearable. Just let me try it on my own not everyone was born knowing how to drive standard.

Needless to say, I didn't buy the car.

Yeah? Even rev matching or hill starts are easy, right? It's just youtube videos, bro! That's all you need!

My dad taught me how to do first gear starts. Everything else is logic. Learned when to shift, how to shift, and rev matching.

Learning stick is easy as shit. You can do it yourself quite easily.

I probably got lucky with my guy. I was driving an old car and he didnt give a shit. Pretty sure i was burning my clutch to all hell. Give it another go. Try a used dealership on craigslist.

>want to buy new Civic si when it's released
>only experience driving a standard was in a church parking lot and around the neighborhood in my buddy's camaros when I was in high school
I'm just gonna go to the dealership, ask for a test drive and say I haven't driven a manual in a while.
But a new Honda gearbox should be a lot easier than the one in a shitty 90s camaro

put an ad on craigslist

2 hours for 50 bucks to let them let you drive their manaul car

youd be surprised how many people have old beaters who are willing to teach

I'm learning manual now and I can shift like butter going from 2 to 3 to 4, my starts and going from 1 to 2 suck though.

When taking off, I ease off the clutch but I get the shakes, you know? Do you really just need to rev the fuck out of it and THEN ease off the clutch?

I was lead to believe it was simultaneous. That would help me with my hills, I think. So it looks like this
>on hill, clutch and brake down
>get off brake, hit throttle with clutch in
>let off clutch, go

The only thing is, I panic when I drift. How do I fix this?

Then there's down shifts when you hit turns and whatnot, it's a whole new driving experience

>Do you really just need to rev the fuck out of it and THEN ease off the clutch?
It's a bad idea to do that but you can keep from stalling if you give it a little gas before you ease off the clutch. Saves you from getting honked at by assholes who just can't wait 3 extra seconds to get to the grocery store.

Watch YouTube tutorials you idiots

Honestly the youtube tutorials are pretty shitty. I am learning manual and those tutorials just confused me. I literally end up discovering stuff as I go. What I found a little more helpful is to watch a narrated video detailing how a clutch works. That gives you a theoretical basis to use when you're experimenting.

youtube.com/watch?v=pqF-aBtTBnY

It took me less than a day to learn manual, and it took me less than 10 minutes to get the shit moving

Basically this. I didn't know anyone who could teach me to drive stick so I watched a few youtube how-to videos and then I just bought a $1500 beater Toyota with a stick shift that had the clutch replaced recently and forced myself to drive it home. For the first month, I was stalling frequently and bucking the car during shifts all the time but by about month 3, I was driving along well enough. Spent a year in that car and then turned around and sold it for $1000 and bought the car I actually wanted... and promptly found out that I had to completely relearn how to drive stick again because the clutch and trans were so different.

Took me 2 days to learn rev matching, it's the simplest shit in the world, cars these days do pretty much most of the work for you

Meh, I have used manual and automatic and can still use a manual fine.

They are nowhere near as good people make them out to be for most practical purposes.

IF you race cars? Yeah, its pretty important to know when and how to shift your car more effectively and how to skip over gears when down shifting and other tid bits for fast manuevers. If you have a vehicle that requires powerful use like a big rig or dump truck, you better know how to use manual because that is what you are stuck with. They are tougher, last longer, and easier to repair when they fuck up.

If you want to know what is better for going from point A to point B in a passenger vehicle, the only benefit manual has is slightly better mpg rating and easier to repair if it is fucked up.

Outside of that Automatic is fine.

Britbong here. Everyone learns in a manual. I don't judge someone for choosing to own an automatic car, but if I learn that they have an automatic-only license (i.e. passed their test in an auto), I assume that they either have some medical condition requiring adapted controls or are just uncoordinated. I found it quite shocking when I learned that you can pass a US driving test in an automatic trans and then be allowed to drive a manual with no further training.

Personally I can't imagine driving without control over the transmission (assuming an ICE car rather than an EV).

Watch YouTube videos, but not the ones that just tell you to memorise which pedals to push when. Rote learning doesn't work. Instead watch videos that explain
>what the gearbox does
>why different gears are needed at all
>how the clutch works and why it's needed
>the powertrain in general and how everything works together

When you understand what is going on you will know which controls you need to use when. You'll still need plenty of practice to get the muscle memory down and be able to shift quickly and smoothly.

t. A guy who doesn't keep his left foot on the clutch, right foot on the gas and his dick can't reach the brake

There is no need for manuals anymore.

Every car is an automatic, or semi-automatic, and there are virtually no situations in which a manual is preferrable.

Forcing yourself to buy and use a manual gearbox is like forcing yourself to not have a remote for your television.

It's called being involved in driving and having fun. What good is having a girlfriend if she won't even fuck you

depends on the application

>Drag/street strip highway monster
Built auto
>Racing/street
Manual

personally i just got sick of automatics too many problems and most of them downshifted so fucking slow

(Me)
>Rote learning doesn't work
I should correct this, actually: Rote learning doesn't work /on me/. There are many people driving manual cars every day in the UK who couldn't explain to you what is actually happening when they shift or why they're doing it, only that it's something they need to do as their speed changes. They can't tell you what the clutch actually looks like, only that they need to press the left pedal when they change gear.

I personally find this crazy; if I'm moving a literal ton of self-propelled metal, I need to have a vague clue of what is causing it to move and an idea of how to move it in the most efficient/least mechanically strenuous way.

Get a grip OP. It's not that hard.

When you're getting high RPMs it's time to shift. Off the gas, push the clutch, use the stick to switch to proper gear (the car will tell you if you're wrong), the gear is changed so you don't need to clutch, take it off. Hit the gas to get speed up to the next shiftpoint.

Clutch when coming to a stop so you don't stall.

Can you shift gears on your mountain bike? Enjoy the technology, it makes your life easier.

I posted earlier in the thread about learning manual, just had an absolutely perfect trip to work, only about 12 miles but it was a healthy mix of winding farm roads and a long curvy straightaway, I aced down shifting in both cases but I don't even know how.

It seems like sometimes I can just push the clutch in, pick the gear I want (depending on the speed) and let that bitch out as I give it throttle, and it's peachy. But then other times (starting mostly) I can't get the clutch to catch and it jerks.