Tfw listening to my mechanic telling me horror stories about people working on their own cars rather than taking them...

>tfw listening to my mechanic telling me horror stories about people working on their own cars rather than taking them to a mechanic

You should take your car to a dealer for everything, too many fuckups that can cause more damage than what was there in the first place

I'm a better mechanic than most mechanics around though. They constantly ruin shit by sheering off bolts. I'll never be that stupid. Other than that there's not much you can fuck up anyway.

t busrider neet who has never done anything with their hands

Get out faggot, not too much to lose on a 20 year old car even if I did fuck something up, paying some greasemonkey in a greasepit 60€ an hour to ass around on my whip is going to cost me more in a year than what it would to buy another and run it to the ground. Anyway, only cucks pay another man to do a job you can do by yourself, I've got a higher education level than most mechanics anyway.

I have a 13 year old Audi that I bought from a salvage auction with no service history and it's been running completely flawlessly for a year now.

It's had 2 annual inspections and all that come up is easily fixable wear items like CV joints.

Where does the Audi being unreliable meme come from?

DIY is for poor people who have more time than money. Or to put it, your time is so worthless, that you can justify doing it yourself. Some of us don't have the luxury of spending a whole day, or multiple days, under a car.

>be me
>no nothing about cars my entire life
>drive an altima
>mechanic tells me i need new tie rods
>no idea what tie rods are
>he says its $400
>i say ok do it
>fast forward to today
>not a dead beat degenerate liberal retard neet like OP is
>buy a miata
>in the process of replacing my suspension, i figure out what tie rods are
>literally a meme piece of metal held on by two screws

This is why you can't trust mechanics

>money saved by DIY: shitloads
>knowing it's done right instead of mashed together quickly by someone who hates their life: priceless

Vw

>Multiple days under a car
If anything takes you more than an evening you're a useless faggot already. Besides, implying some people don't actually like working on their cars. Only plebs and normies who own a car because it's "a necessity" justify not spending their time working on a car. Plus if your time is worth over 60€/$ per hour + jew-lership markup on parts, I'm sure you're driving a car that should be taken to a dealership anyway. Any other excuse is faggotry of feminine men trying to justify their excessive estrogene intake.

Or to put it, you're either making CEO money or like sucking dicc.

>buying planned obsolescence hermetically sealed modern econoboxes

You deserve what you get tee bee aych

It's not a matter of enjoying the work or not. If my car breaks down, I don't get to catch a ride to the pick n pull or wait days for shipping on a part. I know this is Veeky Forums where everyone is just a NEET that lives with mom and watches cartoons all day, but imagine one of those "normies" who now has no car yet still has work in the morning, groceries to get for dinner, and his daughter to take to and pick up from school. He doesn't have time to waste on his car. He has to drop it off and get a rental for the spare time, because he has things in his life that are more worth his time than saving maybe a couple hundred dollars on a car.

But sure, you can feel superior while you're covered in grease if you want to, it's a false sense of superiority. Working on your own car doesn't make you a man. Those "useless faggots" and "feminine men" with actual lives, jobs, and families are greater men than you could even hope to be.

>tie rods are a meme
Stop abusing that fucking word.

Don't forget that Tyrone is coming over tomorrow night, Sheldon.

>Always take it to a guy 100% of the time
All of you are fucking stupid you act like you should ALWAYS take it to someone and you ALWAYS can't work on it. It's about choosing what's easy enough to do on your own and saving money that way versus not being able to do it properly and taking it to someone who can.

>But muh assurance the job will get done right
>But muh tiem wit muh kids is wasted
>But muh dad memes

Certain things will take you literally just an afternoon to fix and then you'll have saved like $500 you can use to idk get a prostitute or something jesus

Can you please stop? I cant afford to be DIY.

Exactly how I feel. When I got my first car I was working a fast food and poor, I had no choice but to do my own maintenance. The last and only time I ever took my car to get fixed I was charged almost $400 for a new fuel pump. (I still have alignment done by my fav guy at sears whenever I get tires but that doesn't count) To put that in perspective, I'm replacing the fuel pump on my 240 tonight and its gonna cost me a grand total of $40 dollars after I find 3 1/2 other broken or rusted things while I'm in there.

I just simply disagree...

Few months back, a wheel hub assembly went out on my truck, as I was getting off the highway almost home, at 6pm.
Had to be at work again in the morning, so I went to the parts store, got a new part and replaced it myself.

Then drove to work the next day.
Under your logic, you would miss a days work waiting for a mechanic to open, or you would have to go rent a car or something.

>I don't get to catch a ride to the pick n pull or wait days for shipping
lmao faggot are you even trying? If my car breaks down bad enough that I can't get around with it, I borrow my GF's car, in the summer I have a moped in my storage that I can take out at panic ultimatum. I can go buy most parts from my local Motonet, if it's damage that's needed from a pick and pull you might just as well take your car there and get a new one, because you'll be without a car or driving a rental until they repair your car, which will most likely cost thousands.

So you're saying your family doesn't have two cars and you haven't bothered to even get a secondary vehicle, fine, looks like you don't appreciate vehicular travel on my level, pleb.

>everyone is just a NEET that lives with mom
You might as well be one of them then

>imagine one of those "normies" who now has no car yet still has...
...Plenty of excuses, right? Yeah, I go to school in the morning, to work in the afternoon and spend the rest of the night doing school work for an engineering degree, still I find time to maintain and repair my vehicle. Fucking lazy millenials, I swear, making kids at 16 and thinking they're busy because little LaShanePhany "9mm" TaQQQeesha has to get home from school. Fuck you.

>couple hundred dollars
Oh please, I wish

>But sure, you can feel superior while you're covered in grease...
I will and so will those thousands of others like me who might have kids, a family and much more in their schedule that you would consider hindering a basic maintenance to an impossibility because of something as cucked as serving your family. What, doesn't you fatass wife not know how to handle the house while mr. nannyboi is out? Fuck off, you've once again only proved that you're an inferior being.

Maybe if you'd actually like cars, you'd have more than one, maybe a secondary or a running project car that you can use as a secondary... Oh wait, but wife won't let you get one. You cuck.

>But muh dad memes
Working on routine maintenance for my family's cars is the only form of bonding I do with my Dad.

I only take my car in for shit I can't do, like an alignment or body work

>LaShanePhany "9mm" TaQQQeesha

Top fucking kek. He's also 100% right, OP. Big parts stores close stupidly late in burgerland. You can get basically anything you need whenever you need it.

Also
>no secondary vehicle, not even a $500 faggot scooter or something
And:
>letting other men do everything for you

I bet you let them service your wife as well as your car, cuck.

>$400 for a new fuel pump

>friend go to mechanic with his blazer
>Mechanic tell that the car is pretty impossible to repair
>He gives the car to the mechanic
>A year later he get parking tickets

Same thing happen to the car (grand am) he got after except that the mechanic sold him an Aveo.
Don't ever trust a mechanic telling you that your car is dead.

I wonder if there are people who pay mechanics to replace wear parts like airfilters. I want to meet you.

You see, when you already have 4k into a car worth 2k, it isn't worth fixing to you.
But if some Mexican gets it for 200 bucks, he has 1800 dollars room to fix it.
The mechanic probably scrapped it or sold it off for parts, some Pancho bought it, and pieced it together with parts from pick an pull.
Would explain the registration as well.

Mostly women and afeminated men.

Go to Volvo dealer, dash message for Check Stop Light. Tech pulls light, gets new one from parts, installs it for me. Total cost: 4$ out the door, and about 5 minutes of my time. Feels good man.

The blazer had an engine swap to be honest but the grand am was repairable.

>mfw they hand your car to the lube tech who hasn't seen a day of school in his life

>daily breaks down
>but you've got a race car in the garage

You do have a race car don't you user? 4th gen Camaro and a 350 small block will cost you about 5k if you're not a retard

>not taking entry level tradeskill courses
>not having a real dad
Markup for anything over doing it yourself is at least 300% always

>4th gen camaro w/ 350 SBC
>race car

You can race with anything tbqh

>implying any of you autists could wrap your heads around anything more complicated

>he earns money 24/7
>he pays his hard earned money to someone else to fix his own shit

Instead of wasting time on eating, sleeping and sitting in traffic to go to your jerb to make someone else money you should instead do something productive.

I know lad I'm just shitposting

wasting time on fixing something you rely on is the opposite of being productive

>taking your car somewhere to get the oil changed
>paying someone to change your tires
>paying someone to replace your brake pads
>paying someone to change your wheel bearings
At one point or another I've replaced or fixed nearly everything on my vehicles. Between my knowledge, a Haynes manual, and the Internet, I can do most anything I need to.
I will pay for an alignment job, however

>relying everything on machinery
>jerbs
>productive

Jobs are about obedience, not productivity, very frw jobs are actually productive. You could actually learn something when fixing things though.

actually you're just memorizing manuals though

this is bait but in the off chance its not why are you even on a auto board if you dont enjoy every aspect of your vehicle?

>tfw took lubetech job specifically to learn from the trained techs and make use of the facilities

ENGINE SWAP HERE WE COME

When you talk about mechanics you're referring to "generic" mechanics who works on cars from all brands or you're talking about "insert brand" official mechanics?

Something similar happened to me except it got towed bc the tags expired before the asshat moved the car off the street and into his garage

I worked in an independent shop for 2 years. Mechanics half ass nearly everything, and don't give a shit about you or your car.

my time is far too valuable for me to waste it working on a car, i only own cars that need little to no work

brake and oil changes are the obvious exception

I have the same level of education, with several years of experience of servicing and fixing machines, as it is my job, but I should bring my cheap vehicle to a shop to get new oil? Get the fuck out of here.

>>$400 for a new fuel pump

>tfw that's considered a good price here

>wasting time on fixing something you rely on is the opposite of being productive

I'd like to nominate this for being the most retarded post of 2017.

tfw my high hp evo has NOT ONE BUT TWO FUEL PUMPS

and because there was indeed custom fabrication done i would need to drop the whole gas tank to service them at all

You will be too busy changing oil to learn anything for a while man. If they get a lot of cars at least.