Helping my dad sell a car

>helping my dad sell a car
>most people ask for VIN
>he doesn't want to give it out, "They can come look at the Carfax when they look at the vehicle, I don't want people doing any shady stuff with the VIN"

Alright Veeky Forums, what in the fuck could someone possibly do if they have the VIN for a car you're selling? Is there *any* reason not to put the VIN in the craigslist ad?

your dad is afraid the thieves might download your car.

You're dad needs to stop watching so much CNN. Or Fox News. Or whatever scare tactic major news network he follows. CL even has a spot where you are supposed to enter the VIN when you sell a car.

Same with people blocking license plates too. So retarded.

This. It's a dangerous world.

He really is.

THE ALMIGHTY

Just look at the Carfax or any VIN report yourself. The most you can find about the owner is in what state and when the car was registered last.

OP here.

That's something I've never understood either.

What could someone possibly do if they had your license plate number?

tell your dad he is the one making it look sketchy to sell the car. If someone doesn't want to show me a VIN it's pretty much a red flag.

I'm gonna start lurking CL just to find these people and bug the hell out of them for the VIN. Send them like 50 emails saying I will buy the car today if they send me a VIN so I can Carfax it.

Only way you can pull anything from a plate is if you are in law enforcement and using anything like that for personal use will be the end of your career real quick.

I like when they do that because if its too brown I pass on the vehical.

kek
>nice try poojeet. I can smell your car from here

Where do you get your news, don't tell me CNN

Post the add the I'll be sure to let him know that but for his stupidity, I would buy the car right now.

I bet he's afraid of giving out a mileage since that's specific to each car. Huh.

>but for his stupidity, I would buy the car right now.
Took me a few seconds to understand what you were saying. Is English not your mother tongue?

Nah it's a basically brand new 2014 Wrangler, like 5,000 miles on it. He's not trying to scam anyone, he's worried about *getting* scammed somehow. The dumb thing is he's not some inbred hillbilly redneck, he's a college-educated commercial real estate appraiser.

>The dumb thing is he's not some inbred hillbilly redneck, he's a college-educated commercial real estate appraiser.
Even the hick will list his VIN user...

from /news/ and /pol/
where else would I go?

Then he must be an alien

>what in the fuck could someone possibly do if they have the VIN for a car you're selling?

Look, tell your dad that everytime he parks his car anywhere, his plates and VIN are available for anyone that walks by. If the VIN was usable, then there would be a billion scams per day, right? After all, look at all the VINs out there right now in the shopping mall parking lot.

Or is your dad too scared to even park the car in public because someone might get the VIN?

literally nothing, you can view anybody's fucking VIN in a parking lot. years back i bought a Nissan Skyline from a kid and said id buy it if i could run the VIN at the registry to make sure its a clean title, he said the VIN is private information until i bought the car. nearly pissed my pants when he took 2 days of fighting to give it to me

Absolutely nothing. There is no such thing as a "license plate scan" available to the general public. It's an internal database reserved for law enforcement. The one thing that someone CAN potentially do with a license plate is apparently it doubles as a VIN, so you can get a car/vin report that the plate is currently registered to, but that is it. Absolutely no personally identifiable information is disclosed and anyone that says otherwise is a retard

>It's an internal database reserved for law enforcement.
Exactly this. The only people who can find PII from your VIN/plate are law enforcement and Shaniqua at the DOL. Either way that is highly illegal.

Guarantee OP's dad will invite the random strangers to meet at his home and think nothing of it.

OP, tell your dad to stop being a fag.

>OP, tell your dad to stop being a fag.
Done and done. I just wanted to see if anyone other than police could do anything at illicit at all with a VIN. Looks like I was right.

people post their vins up here all the time. I was nervous when i posted my vin on Veeky Forums but then i realized theres not really anything they can find. Unless dad stole the car.

Russians might hack the car

THE CARFAX IS CLEAN
>doesnt post vin

i close those tabs and buy somthing else

Actually with your plate its a small fee at the court house and they then have your address, could then go to your house, and then steal your car. If they were so inclined.

>PPI is not protected
Only in ur shit state user. Mostly, I feel you are full of shit. PPI is OUO exempt from the FFI. kys.

State of Georgia and yeah it is that simple

Report it stolen.

But... then you'd just show the cops the title in your name. Or they'd run the plate.

I mean, I would hope that's how it goes anyway

>What could someone possibly do if they had your license plate number?
Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Carfax has a thing now where you can pull the VIN from the plate. I use it all the time.

Granted, when I'm selling a car I take the plates off to take pictures, but I still post the damn VIN.

>hi I'd like to report my car being stolen
What is your name
>uhhhhhhhhhh

Why do you take the plates off for pictures?