How does Veeky Forums deal with winter ? its pretty cold here in yurop atm...

How does Veeky Forums deal with winter ? its pretty cold here in yurop atm, and having my car parked outside i get frozen windshield from both inside and outside, adn the car doesnt even start 90% of the times
also do you let your car idle for a bit before you go to heat it up or no ?

mix water and alcohol in spray bottle and spray your windshield, shit will come right off

let your car idle for about a minute to get the cold oil circulating but dont idle it any longer than 1 minute unless you just dont give a fuck and want hot air before you get in

Where the fuck do you live and what car do you have?

Norway here, I make sure to BLAST the windshield with ice cold air for five minutes before parking, get less ice on the window. If the inside of your car ices up you should fill a sock with kitty sand and leave it somewhere to absorb moisture, drag less snow inside.
I always let the car idle until normal rpm or the windows are clear.

poland, carbed 800cc korean shitbox

get a good battery, good tires. do a short warm up idling, and bulk of warmup while driving half throttle or less. wax your windshield, and use a plastic scraper for the ice. if you have a diesel (likely due to eurocuck) make sure your glow plug system/fuel preheat system works

desu my car never heats up properly, after 30 mins drive to my uni i arrive with my car idling at 1600rpm. Thats propably due to lpg installation in it. Even cardboard in radiator doesnt help much

winter rated passenger tires are shit
try some comp rally rubber

Poland is cold as fuck indeed. Just make sure you have at least 5W oil in there. I don't know why your korean shitbox won't start, maybe because it's korean. What year?

A lot of swearing.

it starts eventually after gazilion of cranks and constant switching between gas and lpg but i really cant rely on it in winter. Maybe i should get some starting fluid or spray or whatever it is called

Well, your car should warm up even quicker when it's running on LPG, but maybe the LPG itself is the reason your car idles higher. Could there be something wrong with the autochoke?

Canada here. I use a block heater plugged into an extension cord that I run to my house. Literally just start the car and drive off in the morning. No idling needed, and frankly you should not need more than 20 seconds idling anything other than some ancient high-mileage machine.

I find yuropoor cars generally don't seem to like the cold that much since all sorts of shit starts to go wrong at -10 or lower. The Japs, Yanks and Swedes are the only ones who seem to have extreme cold figured out.

I don't.

Should've gotten a Starlet, lol.

One of the reasons LPG cars still have the option to run on petrol is because in extremely cold weather it can't start on LPG at all, so if you're unsure about what works best, stick with petrol. I don't see how switching between them could speed up the starting process, but I don't own an LPG car (almost though).

It's not uncommon for you to have starting problems. Most second hand LPG cars are beat to shit too, which doesn't help. My dad owns an old LPG Mercedes and he has problems keeping it running after starting (starting goes just fine usually) in temps like 0 degress celcius. Image starting that thing in Poland during this time...

just looked up starlets, holy shit why are tyhey so expensive, its just a jap shitbox
id rather get a micra

What's winter?

Do you come from a land down under?

>frozen windshield from inside
Moisture. Get an old sock without holes in it, fill it with cat sand, tie the end tightly together with rubber bands and leave it under your seat
>outside
Put a tarp over your car when you park it
>and the car doesnt even start 90% of the times
Get a better battery with higher CCA. If its a diesel; check your glow plugs to see if they might be fucked
>also do you let your car idle for a bit before you go to heat it up or no
If its cold; nah. Just let it run for a few seconds to get the oil running and to make sure no lamps are on, then I'm off. Most times when I'm starting it the engine heater has been running for a few hours

With Starlets you pay for pure reliability. Amazingly I only paid €800 for mine (no LPG though). It's in better shape than my friend's Clio which has a shaking shifter. He got rid of his 98 Suzuki Swift too because mechanical issues where lurking. Don't buy cheap shit from occasion dealers, guys. Anyway, I'd happily drive mine to whatever Polish city or village you live in. Funnily enough my friend is a pole too, maybe you guys just aren't very lucky.

First off, fix your fucking car.
Secondly, get a car with heated front and rear windscreens. Godsend in winter. Start car, turn windscreens on, scrape side windows, scrape big enough holes on the screens to see safely, get in car and drive with the wipers on. The ice should be knocked off as the bottom layers melt.

If you don't have heated windscreens, you use chemical de-icer and screen wash rated for lower temperatures to clear the screen.
Don't drive a car that will break in winter.

it has windshield heater and those wires in rear window that also defrost
but the car takes ages to heat up xD
i might get and external heater since they are relatively cheap, and will also double as ac in summer

I park my 212 in grandpas garage and drive his 07 rav4. He has kept it for winter after he got ml class, but since he doesn't drive often in winter I take it during winter. This/last year however sister went to USA and left me with her 2009 a4 quattro. Holly shit its fun. I've been driving like hoonigan for 2 month now. Tires are made in 12/15 and they are almost gone.

>ensure glowplugs all work
>plug it in if -15 C or colder
>vinyl winter front with openable velcro slots if it warms up
>let 'er kick into high idle and leave it for 10 mins in the morning
>run diesel additive for extra lubricity and anti gel properties so I don't fuck up my fuel filters
>run synthetic Shell Rotella T6 oil, no dino shit
>run all year round goodyear duratrac M+S tires that perform good enough in the winter
>never turn truck off if i'll be getting into it again within 20 mins

and that's all. I love hearing about people having issues starting their diesels in the cold, mine has zero issues because I'm not a moron

Isn't 10 minutes idle a little long? I mean, you can do a lot of shit in 10 minutes...

I believe the jury is out on this. some will tell you all you should idle for is 2 mins at max, some say let 'er idle till the temp gauge moves, some have other ideas. 10 mins is a good time because otherwise when it's pretty cold out the damn thing won't blow heat till I'm at my destination. the truck is designed to kick into elevate idle (1100 rpm instead of 600) to put a light load on the engine and warm it up.

for gassers, 10 min is too long. on my gas trucks, it didn't matter if it was -30 C or 30 C, it'd idle for as long it took for me to put on my seatbelt and shift into drive. never had any issues doing this.

>How does Veeky Forums deal with winter ?

Enjoy it thoroughly until the snow start to melt,

recently we had -24 C and around 20cm snow and i have never been happier to own a quattro audi.

I try not to cry.

How does civilization exist in these parts of the world?

park it in the garage and drive a winter beater for 6 months

its really a depressing ordeal.

Get a block heater and a power cord, and keep it plugged in to my car

I have a rwd boat with all seasons and I didn't get stuck or seriously lose traction at all during this last storm. They do a pretty good job plowing and they salt the shit out of the roads. I don't mind it as long as there isn't too much snow and I don't have to do much highway driving. I look forward to turning traction control off and doing skidz in unplowed parking lots.