Hey Veeky Forums, I have a question for you guys. I have a 2009 Nissan Sentra...

Hey Veeky Forums, I have a question for you guys. I have a 2009 Nissan Sentra. It's been at the dealership getting worked on for the last week and I just got a call with them telling me that I need a new engine and they're quoting me at around $3800 when everything is said and done. What do you think I should do? I can elaborate off it helps.

get rid of it and get something that isn't a Nissan. In 2002, Nissan was taken over by Renault and the quality Nissan had become known for jumped off a cliff in favor of profits.

You just experienced Renault's famous French quality.

Was you car running when you dropped it off? If so, go get it and just drive it.

Yes it does feel that way. I'm leaning towards just getting rid of the piece of shit and getting something that won't cost me literally cutting off a limb to fix.

No it wasn't, that's the only reason I haven't done just that

>mr20de

i own a 2010 and blew the rod bearings. car had only 150k and i maintained it like clock-work...

these are shit cars to begin with. not only are parts expensive, the cvt is a ticking bomb.

i plan on scrapping it and getting a early camry or sienna as my dd i will never buy a nissan again

Block their number and find another car.

i also should mention that 3800 is ridiculous you can find grade a-b engines for less than 1000 bucks good luck swapping and making all auxiliaries and vac work like factory conditions again

Yeah that's what i keep hearing. i'm done with this car. i'm gonna scrap it and get something else. what do you guys suggest for dependability?

3k or less civic

What was it doing? Why'd you take it to the dealer?

it was taking forever to start. I was told by another mechanic that the cam shaft position sensor was going out. I found mention of a recall for that and took it in. they denied it and the next day it wouldnt start. i towed it to them because they said they could have it back to me in a day. it has now been a week and a half.

It's time for a timing chain replacement. I doubt it needs a completely new engine. It's worth putting 1500 into.

>what do you guys suggest for dependability?
2006-2011 Honda Civic.
Bonus points if you can get a Civic Si sedan.
You could also get a Toyota Corolla if you don't mind being bored to death.
The Chevy Cobalt is a decent choice too. Less reliable than the Honda and Toyota (not by much), and between the Honda and Toyota in terms of fun. However they have by far the worst interiors ever. if you can live with that and the shit quality, it's a solid choice as well.

And this is why you don't take it to a dealership ever, not even for recalls unless it's a safety hazard

Don't get a POS $3k Civic (it's old and nasty)
You can get an Eclipse or Mustang for the same price and usually last for a while before something like a new starter or alternator needs replacing.

A 3k or less civic will last twice as long easily

This $3k Honda Civic meme has to die already.

It's this thing underneath the skin

Thanks everybody for your input. I'm eyeballing an '08 Honda Civic Si coupe. I've looked around and read a dozen or so reviews and there's very little bad said about them.

the one this guy suggested.

what do you guys think about it?

>what do you guys think about it?
We recommend them for a reason.
They're reliable, extremely fun to drive and those K-series engines are bulletproof.

fix the car. take it to another shop to do the timing chain.

This. By the time you buy a new car, pay taxes, registration/tags, and shit, it'll be cheaper even at the ass rape price they gave you.

Just get it towed to a different shop. Use your insurance's roadside assistance to do it.

Not even that. It would be cheaper to replace the chain. And if he gets a new shitbox he'll be inheriting new problems.

>Honda K20
>anyone's problem child
pick one.
Nissan is trash

k20s can develop oil consumption and the chain can wear out just like his nissan if the oil hasn't been changed regularly. Not mention he'd have to run premium gas.