Is the American LS motor proof that the European obsession with saving drips of fuel is pointless?

Is the American LS motor proof that the European obsession with saving drips of fuel is pointless?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ca/search?q=amg s65&oq=amg s65&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=amg s65 overheat site:mbworld.org
youtube.com/watch?v=3Qze-26__Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=6J-LTNpjcwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pUwb45z1JmI
youtube.com/watch?v=XsL65nQD5i4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes. Considering Mercedes needs a V12 and twin turbo's to make the power the SC'd LS produces stock or with a $200 pulley swap.

Haven't done a true road trip but the display says 25-28mpg on the highway.

No. This proves it. The miracle of fracking.

30mpg in US is about 40mpg in Europoor numbers, most Europoors dream of 40mpg even out of a diesel. The fact that Amerigreats can get 30mpg out of a 400bhp V8 is proof that we should bow down to our American overlords.

It's proof that GM hit a gold vein in engine design decades ago but still can't design a car around it to save their lives.

That must be a great feel. Being above 3500 rpm on the freeway is annoying

That's complete bullshit. First of all only the Brits use mpg, and their numbers are only a few percent off from the American gallons. The rest of Europe use either km/L or L/100km.

Also stop pretending to be European, you fat shitcunt.

Europoors should feel bad just for being Europoors. They should be ashamed of the state their continent is in.

>Americans think that 25 mpg highway is good

For a 7000 pound pickup that is good

Theoretically the weight should make very little difference at steady speed, so I don't know why you'd bring it up in connection to highway mileage.

It's good enough. If you need better than that get a better job or take the bus.

>thinking americans have to worry about mpg when a gallon of gasoline costs less than $2

Our highways have hills you know.... As do our cities.

Lmao dumb burgers think an engine gets mpg and not the car

Daily reminder the cuckvette needs THREE overdrive gears to get worse mileage than a 911 turbo

Considering the amg s65 makes over twice as much power as the lt4 below 3000rpm... and has shit loads more torque... and isn't unreliable overheating turd

That's the point, you never strive for improvement because you're comfortable enough. Twenty year pushrod boat anchor in our new model? It'll do, gas is cheap right now, who cares what the economy will look like in thre years!

Lmao @ needing two turbos and overengineering to match Cletus' pushrod truck engine.
And irl the vette will still get better mpg lmfao

IRL the Vette will drink like a Russian unless all you ever do is drive on the highway with cruise control on. The city mpg are horrid.

Lmao at your damage control

A 4cylinder will make as much power as an lt4, so Lmao at that too :^)

Euro KUCKS BLOWN THA FUCK OUT

>want to own a Mercedes SC
>can't because even though it looks really cool and everyone raves about it, it has a drivetrain inspired by Rube Goldberg and requires constant, expensive service

>wish GM could make a Corvette that wasn't boring

True. But the euro will drink even more when pushed as well. Everyone in the industry knows the epa testing on those turbo cars are much more lenient
While having shitty powerband, unlinear power, and the same mpg as the v8 :)

>Everyone in the industry knows the epa testing on those turbo cars are much more lenient
Or maybe turbo cars just use less fuel.

>filename
my fucking sides

>our engines are poorly designed because of the future

>That engine is obsolete because it's 2017 folks!

Haven't you learned from your laziness in the '70s?

Or the 2008 crash and high fuel prices that suddenly made your stupid Hummers unaffordable?

>and isn't unreliable overheating turd
google.ca/search?q=amg s65&oq=amg s65&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=amg s65 overheat site:mbworld.org

They only use less fuel if you keep them out of boost.

>search results about brakes
>a stereo
>Non s65 Mercedes overheating on 110f days in traffic
Lol try again

My parents weren't retards with tons of loans and had secure jobs.

It's an engine, not a motor, you doublenigger

Europoors don't have engines

Engine design absolutely affects mpg. A more efficient engine will need to burn less fuel to produce the same amount of power at the crankshaft, increasing mpg without changing car design or transmission.

475 wheel hp, gets 26-28mpg highway

some of us weren't really effected by any of that

Turns out when you refine something for 60 years, the end product will be decent.

Meanwhile the Germans redesign everything every 6-8 years.

I don't think the late 90s-2000s LS is related to the 80s LTs which themselves probably aren't related to whatever they were called in the 60s and 70s (350s?)

I don't know how much relations the Modern LT engines have with the 2000s LS they replaced.

look, the ls is actually great if you sit in 6th gear on the highway.

you will be at 1k rpm cruising the entire way sipping fuel, us aussies get like 800-900 km to a tank doing that.

city driving, it fucking drinks (but it's a v8 so who cares)

great for road trips though.

The old LTs were almost the same as the Gen I small block chevies. If memory serves, they revised the cooling system to flow to the heads first, went to optispark ignition and tune port fuel injection.

high end sportscars tend to use "premium" engines, not some pushrod truck engine, its not just about the power output or fuel economy, its suposed to be exclusive

this

in europe a good mpg in highway is like 40-50

>2000kgs
>4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 engine
>420hp 627lbft

>pic related
get on our level

>Europe thinking that 25mpg american is low
>Europe forgetting that is basically the same as 35mpg in their stupid land of retard numbers

I think we can all agree that mpg ratings are fucked in Europe and are drastically bloated because of their reporting figures.

imagine a ls swapped miata.

would be like 600kg lighter than a commo

might get over 1000 to a tank if it was all highway driving on a straight road

Don't forget that Americans can actually afford the Mustang/Camaro/Vette.
Eurocucks will shitpost ti'll they're blue in the face about Porsches and Mercedes, but they'll never be able to own one.

Meanwhile, anyone in the US with a decent job (60k+) can afford a new vette, with things like the Mustang and Camaro being considerably cheaper.

My previous car was a chevy metro 3cyl 2000, I was doing 3.7l per 100km in Canada (59 mpg), but the body was too rust I had to change car. My new car is 2009 kia rio5 who give only 35mpg on highway. But in city it gave 30mpg, its super good in city, but not on highway due to gear ratio. Great mini sport 5sp. car, easy to repair. If you own an automatic car, you have no place on Veeky Forums amerifag.

>If you own an automatic car, you have no place on Veeky Forums

This is the most retarded shit, everyone should have an auto car for comfy cruising and a manual for fun.
Plus, learning about cars and actually wrenching on them makes you more Veeky Forums than 50% of the busrider population here.

t. owner of two manuals

do a quick research before shitposting
we might be able to afford a Mercedes and not a Mustang

>Mustang 5.0
100k€

here the most expensive part about the car are the taxes, its simply not worth to buy a shitty built american car because they cost the same or even more than a good car like BMW or Mercedes

Most taxi in Europe are mercedes or BMW. Most Vette owner own a mini house in US, bad bad life choose. A 4cyl. honda modify with a turbo and internal is 600hp for 10000usd, why I would buy a 80000 vette?

>Porsche
>100 year old airplane engines
>"premium"

Being this cheap/poor

>pic of the new Porsche Diesel
>airplane engine
k

but even the petrol ones i dont know what the hell you are talking about

>the most expensive part about the car are the taxes
So you're getting cucked by your government out of cheap, powerful cars.
The Mercedes you can afford will not be as powerful as the Mustang.

>Most taxi in Europe are mercedes or BMW
They're not producing 500 hp like the GT350. They're base model consumer cars that cost less because of your insane taxes.
>Most Vette owner own a mini house in US
No new or late model vette owner lives in a trailer. You've been watching too much reality TV.
>A 4cyl. honda modify with a turbo and internal is 600hp for 10000usd, why I would buy a 80000 vette?
Because it's a 4cyl Honda with a turbo hacked onto the thing. FWD, terrible driving characteristics, not a new car, most likely going to blow up in 8 months. Absolutely not comparable to a brand new V8 making big power without F/I.

>Porsche
>V8 Diesel with twin turbo's and it barely makes more torque than a LS9
>"premium"

I am sorry, at least you like manual car. In Europoor the poor have no choice by to buy a renault twingo for 5000usd, In Canada we can get a better car fro lot less (a 2012 Hyundai accent for 2200usd). In Us used car are pretty expensive. But here in the rust belt, car are diposable because of rust, so why pay more?

>drive 3.2L v6 200hp
>get 23 mpg tops highway
>17-20 backroads

Fuck

>So you're getting cucked by your government
Thats true, we all know that, but thats just future, you are just a bit late there.
Also, here for the price of a Ford Mustang you can buy a BMW M4, i mean.. thats not even fair for Ford.

I have watch too much youtube channel of youth american like BoostedBoiz - YouTube. You tell the truth, anyway my car is almost stock, I dont need to destroy my car with turbo, I am pretty drunk. Anyway car are diposable here in the rust belt Canada, so why pay more, I repair my car myself and I proud of it. A vette would be a summer car here, and you need a second disposable car for winter plus the place to store it(I have some, I own a cabin in the Laurentien). Anyways a used 2013 car is only 3000usd here. Buy used car like the genius youtuber JR Garage. Stop bying new, buy pretty new car and repair it, just be sure the engine, transmission, direction, expensive part are not finish.

>petrol engine 6.2 V8 supercharged
>Diesel engine 4.0 V8 turbocharged
Porsche still gets more hp/litre from a Diesel engine than your LS9 and it still manages to get close to 50mpg

>hp/litre

>drive 2.3L i4 320HP/540Nm
>get 27.5MPG highway (ethanol, so it drinks more but costs less than 98 octane (94 US octane))
>22 in city.

Fuck... $4.74USD per gallon of E85.

>not accounting for the difference between imperial and US gallons

25mpg US is ~30mpg imperial, silly

>hp/litre
When is this relevant to anything?

for calculating engine stress under peak load

ofc its relevant, you are comparing the power of a engine thats 40% bigger, and its not even the same fuel.

It's not.

Why does it matter if the engine is 3L or 8L? It's the application that counts, HP/L isn't going to make your car faster or more reliable.

Yuros tend to do shorter commute journeys which is less efficient.

Never
>25.5k llitres
get on my level

I still hold that the metric to use should be engine HP/lb or kW/kg

>engine HP/lb
Honestly that's more useful.
HP/L can be deceiving, at least in my experience with old Nissan engines. You think that 180HP out of a 2.4L ain't that bad, then you realize that it weighs almost as much as an LS1.

wtf are you talking about? i never said it matters. My point was only that comparing the porsche diesel engine with a LS9 doesnt make any sense. Read before shitposting

No but a big v8 with 8L is gonna cost 6x more than the 3L because one, it's larger displacement makes tax 4 times more expensive, the fact that it's a V8 means it's a big cash in for insurance companies so just knowing it's a V8 (even if it's smaller than a straight six sometimes) makes insurance companies raise the tax and cost.
Just having a car that LOOKS sporty or has the name sport in the name makes them afraid and raise the price.

So a 2 liter 300HP car not only is better, it's WAY cheaper to own even if the V8 at the same HP isn't even sweating and still rpoducing more torque.

Ironic considering American people always whine about cars that doesn't have 400HP/400lbft can't keep up with traffic on their straight roads while Europe, with their curvy roads, and cities that don't build buildings after the road, but merely adopted the road into the city manages without any problem, also we have higher speed limits.

TL;DR HP/L is relevant because of government taxes.

>TL;DR HP/L is relevant because of government taxes.

But what if you live in a country without taxes on displacement? i honestly never understood why that was a thing. would it not make more sense to tax engines based on fuel consumed and emissions released? i'm pretty sure a 2 liter turbo producing 4-500 HP is consuming just as much fuel if not more so than a 6 or 7 Liter V8 making that naturally no?

>when you get cucked this badly by the government

>implying that a LS engine is more reliable than a Porsche engine

>I honestly never understood why that was a thing
You shouldn't either since it's a stupid retarded idea to steal money from the people.
I also think tax based on fuel consumption is the right way to go.

>I'm pretty sure a 2 liter turbo producing 4-500 HP is consuming just as much fuel if not more so than a 6 or 7 Liter V8 making that naturally no?
Depends on the car but you're generally correct, but full throttle that V8 and you will consume more than the smaller engine ever could handle without drowning out in bad fuel/air mixture.

This is my car and I think it consumes way too much.
9-5 Aero

Automotive part of the gubment is trash but at least I never have to be homeless since the tax keeps me off the street if I ever happen to quit or get crippled so I can't work.

>displacement tax
Disgusting. Your government literally taxes you just for having a large engine. It's also in the most retarded way, because of the reasons you mentioned. HP/L remains irrelevant in any discussion about the performance of the car, since not every country hates large engines.

Also, many of the cities in the US were built out after the invention of the car, so it's natural that they would be designed with it in mind... why do you say this like it's a bad thing?

Your speed limits are higher because you have a much higher population density, making the money more available to keep the road surface in such good condition.

>muh reaction image
You can't be serious.

Are you retard? when you are COMPARING 2 engines ofc the size matters

Porsche hasn't won a Baja 1000 since 1988. It really makes you think. Pretty much all the trucks are running LS based engines.

>It's also in the most retarded way
Read I'm completely agreeing with you.
>why do you say this like it's a bad thing?
I'm not, I'm just stating that I knew your cities are built for the cars and not the other way around, just stating that cars don't really need a lot of HP to keep up with legal speed limit traffic.
Although infuriating, it's not hard to drive a 75HP car in 70MPH traffic, I'm just that used to never having to change gear to fly by people.
That's why I never get FR-S/GT86/86GT/BRZ people since they ahve 0.35x of the torque I have.
>Road surface in such good condition.
That's also the tax making it possible, but it's stupid because the road companies that get their money through tax have to spend the money each year if they are to get the same money next year, so sometimes they spend it on trivial things just to stimulate(waste) tax money so they get enough money the coming year.
?????????

The LS internals aren't stressed much in sub 400HP figures, the Porsche is though, so if kept up with service, using the right oil and doing maintenance the correct way (sometimes more than needed, since you should if you want your engine to survive), the V8 will live out the boxer due to less stressed mechanical parts.

Look at the dude's post:

>Porsche
>V8 Diesel with twin turbo's and it barely makes more torque than a LS9
>"premium"

It was never about DIRECTLY comparing the two engines, it's pointing out that a stupid expensive "premium" Porsche with a 4.0 diesel makes less power than the vette with the 6.0. The some retard started jerking about "muh HP/L" and derailed the whole thing.

The whole point is that HP/L is irrelevant, and the vette has a more powerful engine for less money.

>Although infuriating, it's not hard to drive a 75HP car in 70MPH traffic
My hardbody makes about that much and it's really difficult to get it up to 70. I wonder if it's actually making less power...

> it's stupid because the road companies that get their money through tax have to spend the money each year if they are to get the same money next year, so sometimes they spend it on trivial things just to stimulate(waste) tax money so they get enough money the coming year

That kind of shit isn't limited to your country either. In the massive waste frenzy known as the U.S. military, units are allocated funds to spend every year, and if they don't spend them, they get cut.
Pisses me the fuck off, we could use that money to retain quality people, but instead need new office chairs for the 4th consecutive year or a massive "morale" award display.

>vette has a more powerful engine for less money.
Check prices of that Vette with said LS9 sold in germany, and then compare that to that Porsche.

For you it might be cheaper to buy the domestic Vette, but for him it's cheaper to buy the domestic Porsche, since the vette is now the import car.

>I wonder if it's actually making less power...
If it does, you have my sympathy. (The car I talked about was the Renault Clio btw)

>That kind of shit isn't limited to your country either.
Then I don't have to explain it since you know damn well the idiocy behind that kind of wasteful spending that could be put to better use.

They should have a universal tax that puts money where it's needed instead.

But that's another topic.

Do you live in Germany?

I'd love to live there for a while, I don't want to have lived my entire life in the US.

Nope, I live in Sweden but our taxes work in similar ways.

If you want good living standard Norway is better, but then you'll forever hate car industry since their taxes are like Sweden and Germany together when it comes to car taxes.
They also tax a car based on HP which is even more retarded.

One thing to note though, if you end up in any of the EU countries, do note that our driving standards are very strict and on a higher level than in the US.

Cars drive faster, trucks can carry up to 80ton, more if they have have wide load signs and cars directing them both front and back.

Oh and google some Swedish/Finnish driving school classes and you know just how hard it is here.
Maybe even some crash compilation videos just to show you how different our driving culture is.

Oh and since it's winter, In Sweden you're the one people try to avoid if you don't drive studded or at least VERY good friction tires since, unlike US standards all-season is frown upon here.
Also ABS is mandatory on all cars that were made after the stone age.

Unrelated topic but relatable picture.
A friend of mine went to India and there they think it's a good thing if tires lock up if you brake hard.
I've seen loads of car crashes on Youtube and it surprises me that so many cars in USA don't have ABS even if they are from 1990 and newer.

>trucks can carry up to 80ton

That's cute.

I didn't want to shitpost, but you gave me no choice.
Considering you need four trucks for that.

Scania 730HP/3500Nm

What do you have?
Also Cummins get help from Scania when developing engines and transmissions.

This. The alpha platform shows that get might be able to build a chassis too, but don't let them style it

>our driving standards are very strict and on a higher level than in the US
God, I'd imagine they'd have to be, seeing as most of your highways have a speed limit of 80 MPH.
Every retard here in the US owns a car, and you see some real shit, especially in places like Florida where every other person is 75 years old.

Really, it makes absolutely no financial sense to move to Europe, even though it's something I'd really like to do. My career with the DoD wouldn't swing the same over there. In the future, I'll probably look into one of those things where you travel and stay with families.

>it surprises me that so many cars in USA don't have ABS even if they are from 1990 and newer
It didn't become mandatory until 2011, but I want to say that by '96 most cars had it. I know my '86 Nissan doesn't, but I can barely get the thing going fast enough to cause any real damage.
I have the theory that stupid people crash cars, stupid people are poor, and historically bought cheap cars without ABS.

It needs 4 trucks because we have hills here. A human can pull over 400k lbs on flat ground. The trucks are only around 600hp and 2050ft/lbs stock.

Yeah, here it's not a right, it's a privilege to own a car.
Also it's 18+ to drive cars here, same with alcohol so you end up with WAY less brats trashing their first cars, and since cars are expensive here, you don't see first timers with brand new daddy pay-vettes and camaros.

>Really, it makes absolutely no financial sense to move to Europe
If you have money to make you feel safe and relaxed, you don't have to. Take a trip to Europe instead.
My uncle is from Colorado and he lives here because of the family since it was cheaper to take a plane and give birth to the child here.
Since even a bubblegum is more expensive than being here two days after the delivery.

He still had the American thinking that cars are cheap and just a means of getting from A to B. He learned that doesn't work here when they got their car in a light car crash.
>Eh, let's just buy a new ca... oh, that's expensive.

Sweden doesn't have hills.
That's news to me since I literally have a road that is 17% elevation or whatever it's called, it's very steep and the sign says 17%, and the trucks have no problem going up, unless they use some crap truck from south Europe with their shitty tires, and most certainly Polish trash humans.

This is the typical Swedish truck (not engine tune, but the type of drive train and trailer).
youtube.com/watch?v=3Qze-26__Y8
18 wheelers aren't efficient enough since you can carry twice as much with these.
Let's stop the hate topic and post good sounding engines.
Preferably v8 engines since that's the topic.

cont

youtube.com/watch?v=6J-LTNpjcwQ
>That retarder sound at 1:41

>Scania
New S-series are on the way, I can't wait to see if they sound as godly as the R580 (not a fan of the R730 sound).
youtube.com/watch?v=pUwb45z1JmI

youtube.com/watch?v=XsL65nQD5i4

>Holden

Are you implying LS's get good mpgs? I've got an LSA with a pully swap and according to my cars computer I do an average of 14mpg. Highway I can get it up to low 20s if I'm easy on the throttle but why have a 600hp car if you are going to go easy on the throttle?

>those gas station names

>implying there is anything wrong with the older vettes

>buys a v8
>whinges about fuel econ
go buy a cuck4cylinder