/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

no edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BsISfQAXE60
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bed
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Ash
youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg)
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Computing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

m8, its alcohol, it doesnt exactly weaken them
it makes them stronger and braver, but they cant land a hit

Hmm, scratch that, its a fucking zombie-type death touch
I though these bastards were dying to an OD, but any of them who receives an injection dies inevitably at aprox 2000 phases

kinda unoriginal OP

>dwarven alcohol is strong
>strong enough to kill armies
Looks like bees are finally useful

How do I make a dwarf complete a hole going straight down? Whenever I try to make a dwarf channel straight down he quits after like 3 or 4 z level and climbs up.

I think its a bit too much user
I mean, I know that now that I had the idea, people are gonna use it, but its too much for the world
Now I know how einstein felt about the atomic bomb

On a completely unrelated note
A stream of water pushed me to a pool of lava. Tried to drop water on top of mke but didnt work, so I run of to the river
As I jumped to the river, I died mid-air.
This has probably been the weirdest death I have ever gotten
Makes me wish a drawfag would draw it, actually

apparently, you should inject them alcohol, then they should be stupid enough to dig their own grave

I dont actually know, its pretty weird, does it happen often?

You can't. Dwarfs will eventually get hungry, thirsty, or tired. At which point they'll abandon their task and search for food/drinks/beds.

Maybe build a locked hatch over him as soon as he's dug one tile down? Or maybe just a put a locked door between him and everything interesting.

The climbing mechanics make them do it to avoid danger. It has nothing to do with having other things to do.

They do it to get out of holes with no other way to get out. My miners do it all the fucking time when I try to dig wells and it's annoying as fuck since there's no way to ever get them back in that hole and no way to finish it from below.
I wish climbing was never added. It adds absolutely nothing to the game except frustration.

You should learn to adapt to the changing circumstances. Climbing is good because it makes it harder for players to hide from enemies (you can still just seal yourself off with drawbridges, but who the fuck does that).

Just dig a staircase, and then make the channel nex to it.

>(you can still just seal yourself off with drawbridges, but who the fuck does that).
heh

Dwarves are annoying pieces of shit and you have to deal with it.

>enable soundpack for shits and giggles
>load up a random 2 year old fort
>"Orik Cuntson has gone insane" in the middle of a packed tavern
>bombarded with ~100 sounds of punches and kicks as he is beaten to death in the middle of the dancefloor
>the bard throws out his corpse
who tf thought this was a good idea?

Me

>I have become alcohol, the destroyer of worlds

But really, what are the stats of this race?

>Climbing is good because it makes it harder for players to hide from enemies
Not at all. It just means you have to actually put "effort" into building your wall instead of laying some trees on their side.
Rock block walls are almost impossible to climb, and all it takes is the slightest overhang to make your walls impenetrable again. Make your walls 3-4z levels high and enemies won't even try to climb them, even if they could.
Climbing adds nothing positive to the game.

Meanwhile, climbing has made it impossible to
>dig a hole straight down
>have any trees on the map without getting your dwarves air-stranded the second they see a buzzard
>cut down trees without getting your woodcutter and the only axe air-stranded because a kea existed somewhere nearby
>have multi-Z level rooms without getting dwarves air-stranded whenever they get in a brawl
>have surface structures without getting dwarves air-stranded when a kobold shows up

Nothing ever climbs anyway, except for your dwarves, and they never do it when it would actually be beneficial. They exclusively do it to get themselves stuck somewhere and starve to death unless you happen to get lucky and notice them before they die.
The worst part is that climbing isn't even completed. The AI only knows how to climb up or release hold. Climbing sideways or downwards is impossible, which is why the feature is so retarded and useless.

>Orik
>the bard throws out his corpse

I've had many dwarves save themselves after falling into water thanks to climbing.

Also, even from what you wrote, it's clear that building outdoor fortifications is more challenging now.

>bombarded with ~100 sounds of punches and kicks as he is beaten to death in the middle of the dancefloor
Tell your bard to stop playing this song so much.
youtube.com/watch?v=BsISfQAXE60

It's really not though. All it takes is a 1z level wall with floors built along the outside edge. Sure it a little more than doubles the material cost, but walls were already cheap as fuck anyway since 1 boulder=4 blocks. Just add a second mason and you'll have it done by spring Y2 easily, well before anything could possibly threaten you. Or at least anything that wall would help against.

Besides, what kind of loser only built 1z level high walls anyway? It makes your fort look like some shoddy village, not a dwarven fortress.

>2 year old fort
>Tavern

yeah no

Well, you could give him the benefit of doubt and assume he meant in-game years, but even then, still applies.

>Besides, what kind of loser only built 1z level high walls anyway? It makes your fort look like some shoddy village, not a dwarven fortress.
heh

>Dastot McOppenheimer
>'We're all Urists now.'

>Besides, what kind of loser only built 1z level high walls anyway?

>Having any part of your fortress outside
>Needing a wall

You might as well be being a well defended shanty town regardless, user.

>Wasting time hauling wood into your fortress
>Letting your military get cave adaption so they get nauseous and get killed when they have to fight on the surface
>Not having huge ass walls and shitloads of statues to show off how fucking cool your fort is
>Not building walls so that the moment thieves, werebeasts and snatchers get spotted, its because they turned the corner and walked directly into your barracks, getting them instantly murdered
>Allowing elves entry into your fortress proper

it was ingame

>Needing wood at all (elf???)
>Not embracing cave adaption because your military should never be outside anyway
>Letting ANY of your dwarves out ever past the first couple of weeks because that would mean you even have an entrance to your fortress which would be retarded
>Not making your fortress self sustainable and incredibly grandiose on the inside away from prying eyes
>Not fighting incredible battles underground and letting your dwarves enjoy the honour that comes from slaughtering waves of beasts and demons without needing outside recognition of their deeds

Armok is disgusted

well, they are basically dwarves without the beards, size 100000 instead of 60000, a liver 500 instead of 200
they cause inebriation by a scratch atack, through the nails, and thats the atack they use the most

There's a lot more stuff Im thinking of adding to them, like producing alcohol to drink, each one with different effects
Castes, etc. this is only the beggining

Thanks guys!

Weasel men.
I just like the idea of massive groups of outcast races hanging out together in areas. It also makes it more fun to draw when you have a nearly infinite amount of faces and bodies to draw.

Here you go

Amazing! thankyou!
if you ever want anything just ask!

>Needing wood at all
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bed

>dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bed

>NOT SLEEPING ON STONE SLABS FOR SUPERIOR POSTURE

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Ash

>dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Ash

>Not procuring all the ash you'll need from forgotten beasts, regardless of whether that's mechanically possible withing the confines of the game

within* even

now you're just being ridiculous

>N-now

>f-fake internet s-stutter

Please. It's almost 2am and I'm just trying to meme with my /dfg/ bros.

Excellent pic Drew, thanks a mil.

>mod in bishops and high priests and shit
>give them political roles
>give them squads
>finally get a fucking mission to wage war from an elder priest as a holy knight

Sadly it's mostly just murdering civvy gobs, though I did find a couple soldiers in the beak dog pit and one that I kicked managed to fall right through the cavern into the magma sea, so, ha ha, fuck that guy a bit more than usual!

Half a year to go.

Thanks!

(these last few images: youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg)

Thanks again yourself for the pic of my murderloli (this is her: ) and mom!

New blog post
>I'm having fun chasing down issues with agent identities and rumors and so forth. A lot of the conversation/reputation code wasn't able to cope with the change, and we've needed to differentiate more between visual identification or whether an incident just involves the real and fake historical identities of people in the abstract, especially when you ask a person their opinion about somebody but only know an alias (which you don't know is an alias). People now think more carefully about where their information came from when they decide what they think of people, and do some cross-referencing of known identities and so forth, but they also have to skip certain rumors in their heads that pertain to a person where they can't make the connection (because they don't know a given alias or true identity). So if you ask after a goblin agent using their true name or an identity used in a previous town, people in the current town the agent is infiltrating will properly say that they don't know who you are talking about, even if they have a lot of information about the agent under their current alias -- or they might have an opinion about the old identity if they heard a rumor about it. Where the game previously formed a single set of reputations for one historical figure, people can now give different answers for the true historical figure and each identity, as well as what they think on sight (which may or may not involve any names -- they keep track of which identities they associate with the physical appearance)... (cont.)

>...We're also trying to keep more identity information intact as rumors fade out over time, to stop covers from being blown by the passage of time, and we also want a bit more realism in terms of linking witnesses that know the physical appearance to somebody else in town that got to know a name/alias of the people and their appearance, but didn't see the incident. For example, if the player robs somebody without saying their name, a problem with the new system was that only the people that witnessed the event thought ill of the player even after a few days, since other townspeople could no longer make the link between the player and the event. However, if the player talks to enough people in a small enough town either before or after the robbery, then whatever name/alias they used should become linked to the incident after a bit of time (the normal rumor spread time). It's difficult to get it right, and it's not going to be quite up to the level where it'll need to be for the justice/crime features later on, but we're trying to keep everything pointed in the right direction. (end)

So after this is he going to work on kobolds or is there anything else left to do in the "Artifact quests and agents" section?

Forgive me if this is a common question, but what new feature would you like to see in Dwarf Fortress (be it planned by Toady or not)?
Personally I'd like to see light mechanics such as lighting torches in your tavern if you want humans to feel comfortable, and putting them out when it's time for the humans to die.

Proper energy balance with food/sunlight/soil nutrients and body metabolism and waste excretion and sewage management.

please fuck no

"
In D&D, mindless undead are capable of following simple tasks such as "Attack anyone who enters this room." or "Stay here until this alarm sounds, then attack the nearest village.".

Most of the commands they're capable of can be broken down into simple logical statements like 'If X, then Y.', such as the attacking one being "If something enters this room, attack them.".

Do you think that with enough undead, with the right commands, you could effectively create a computer?"

-user

I want this.

Being able to grow infinite plump helms in a small patch of mud just seems a bit too gamey. And non-grazer farm animals being able to just multiply without limit as well.
Right now it's really unrealistic.

This I want shit and sewers in the game so i can drown Elves in Dwarf shit

We do this with water (tiles of 6/7 fluctuating), minecarts, ordered lever pulling, pressure plates, and so forth.

He'll need to get the stuff so you can actually order units to head out into the world and be informed of their progress/lack thereof, a lot of that is actually tied into the agents identities stuff though, just a matter of having it transfer into a form you can see in fort mode.

This. Imagine the sewage draining into a spike pit that would make the spikes really filthy and then goblins falling in would get really bad infections and die.

>We do this with water (tiles of 6/7 fluctuating), minecarts, ordered lever pulling, pressure plates, and so forth.

Well yes but I want to do it with skeletons.

>Start up old fart
>it stinks real bad

Don't worry, I'm not the one making the game.
I very much look forward to [d]esignated shitting streets. Or maybe I'd make a poopoo resevoir in case of particular nobles.
There are already switch repeaters based on creature pathing though repeaters alone do not a computer make.

>Choose physical traits for your character in a manner similar to the ethics system.

>Races can have different cultures.

>The ability to play a peasant farmer, barkeeper, or other noncombat role.

>Romance options

>Ability to join an army and go around doin' shit.

>Animal people get their own independent tribe-countries, have the potential to expand and play with the big boys (Aka default civs.)

>Make Bronze Colossi more in-depth. The idea of living statues that wander the earth and hate everything in it seems so fascinating to me. What do they do, where did they come from, could more appear, ect.

>In-game interface that lets you easily design your own custom race.

You've probably seen this, but just in case...
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Computing

>ctrl+f skeletons
>0 results

This is a good page for making computers but not skeleton computers. I still need to wait for that.

Poultry that needs to be fed.
Blighted crops.
Harsh, unpredictable winters and malaria ridden summers.
More poverty basically.

>Start of the second year
>huge migrant wave
>Throw three soliders with no skill in hammerdwarfing but skills in other shit onto my roster with hammers
>Militia commander is my starting dwarf that I always equip with a hammer and the best shield I can buy from the caravan first year
>A werelizard child appears at the fortress
>Send the four after it
>Fucking shits all over them
>other dwarves come running up from the fortress including one alpaca and start wailing on it
>seven dwarves die
>Two milita dwarves die, one being the starting hammerdwarf
>About 20 dwarves and an alpaca were all bitten
>the werelizard turns back and runs for it as a human child
>unscathed

>the attack hits the goblin bowman's left leg, piercing the muscle!
>the xXwooden upright spikeXx is firmly lodged in the wound!
>a floodgate has been opened.

A combat rebalance, specifically aimed at wrestling and biting. Currently, things go like this
>The frail elf child bites the muscular giant in the left lower leg!
>The frail elf child shakes the muscular giant by the left lower leg, bruising the skin!
>A tendon in the lower leg has been torn and many nerves have been severed!
>The muscular giant falls over.(And is never able to use his left leg ever again)
This is fucking stupid. A successful bite turns into a save or die scenario. You're either able to break their grip and make their attack totally useless since biting sucks, or that limb is permanently destroyed since shaking is overpowered as fuck. No middle ground.
It's even worse with joint damage since now you get your spine snapped in half because an alligator bit your thumb toe.
Yeah, shaking something after biting it is how pretty much every large carnivore kills their prey in real life, and it's a death sentence if a wolf does it to a rabbit, and your arm is fucking gone if an alligator chomps down on it and starts rolling. But humans are not alligators. When you crush somebody's upper spine into bone meal, they can't leap up and bite your shoulder and then rip your fucking arm off. Especially not when that somebody is half your size and biting through steel plate.
Meanwhile in Dwarf Fortress, paralyzing a disarmed target actually makes them more dangerous since it makes them start biting, and everyone gets to be an alligator in Dwarf Fortress.

Also, somewhat related, but I'd very much like for there to be magical options to heal tendons, nerves, lost limbs and other injuries that cannot naturally heal. I don't know if healing magic is in the magic update, but I'm really hoping so.

Werebeasts are bullshit.
Always use Legends Viewer to make sure your embark doesn't have any werebeast lairs too close by.

Is there any way to lift the curse yet?
Is my only option to Cask of Amontillado these werefugs?

>Is there any way to lift the curse yet
Oh yes plenty. My personal favorite is to tell them to take a stroll through the garbage dump, and then designate some cinnabar boulders for dumping.
You could also try having them check the bottom of your well for cave crocodiles.
Or you could tell them to fist fight some cave crocodiles.

What is used to make these kind of stuff?

Kind of. They can break doors, but having two or three in sequence will be more than they can destroy before changing back, from my experience. Since you have so many, you might want to consider starting a seperate mini-fortress of nothing but werebeast dwarves. I think they won't attack each other, though I'm not sure.

Ignore this:
I'm testing is crossthread yous work.

Extreme skill, and probably a good art program designed with pixel art in mind.

Bronze colossi would be cool as a demon/deity built thing. Perhaps if a civilization profanes/offends a demon/god they can make a bronze colossus to torment them.

Did it work?

Is this the original? Why's it so blurry?

>64 bit dwarf fortress has been released
nice I'll check back in a few weeks when DFHack and Dwarf Therapist are updated
>6 months later

>therapist works for 32bit but you have to jump through hoops

All I want in life is to impregnate an elf.

What does elf meat taste like?

>Downloading one extra file and putting in a folder
>Jumping through hoops

ELFED

wood

idk i think werebeasts are fun

bullshit.

first, distance to their lairs has nothing to do with the risks of having attacks. their attacks are fully randum, unlike the sieges.

second, if you've played the game for more than three months, you should have a strategy for dealing with them while minimising the risks.

Their attacks are NOT random.
If you embark close enough to a werebeast lair, they can randomly wander on to your map at any time, just like any and all creatures that make lairs and wander around. Night trolls are the sole exception to this rule, presumably because they follow different lair rules than everything else.

Spring year 2 is not soon enough to meet the requirements for a randomly generated werebeast attack. If they're attacking that soon, it's because you embarked too close to one.

Always remember: you could have been forced to deal with night trolls and bogeymen in fort mode, werebeasts by comparison are fun!

Also, the uh, settings that I was screwing with to try and get all sorts of crazy shit happening with inter-site conflicts seemed to be more effective than hitting a starter plant pokemon with a fucking nuke.

Noticed several wars going on with one of the fortress making "deep" dwarf civs that ended up pulling in the city making "hill" dwarf citizens at times so I checked the embark screen and scrolled up towards the top of the map there, I didn't actually intend for this and only have barely functional fort mode nobles at the moment since they're very hard to make work right with custom positions.

That river intersection there, and another one with the same 2x War+3x Towers, are 2x2 with three 0 flatness tiles and one maximum cliff tile, with more options for larger ones. May have to check around in that one after I get my murderloli run done.

You can always just embark on top of a night troll lair if you want some in fort mode.
Of course all you have to do is lock their door on them and they can't escape, since they're only T1 building destroyers.

>fisherman hates mussels
>only type of fish he can catch is mussels

>so he's trying to eradicate them

does unnumbered mean a lot?

I think it effectively means infinite.

It's not blurry at all. It's pixel art, a digital mosaic.

No.

Is this a good symbol?

No, a massacre involves many victims, not just one.

Good point

Perfect

>wasting all those potential cocksleeves and cocksleeves (male)

I thought dorfs were supposed to be pragmatic.

They are.