Quick question Veeky Forums, decided to try and tighten a belt just a little, and guess it was at its limit...

Quick question Veeky Forums, decided to try and tighten a belt just a little, and guess it was at its limit. Managed to snap the bolt. Would this be fine to drive down to the parts store and pick a new one up, or am I walking?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump, need a quick answer

What kind of belt is it?

I wouldn't risk it

what kind of garbage ass engineering is this?

>What kind of belt is it?
Calvin Klein

is that bolt going through threaded weather cracked rubber?

did you loosen the nut that holds the pulley (and what the bolt threads into)?

Dunno to be honest. I just know it was a bit loose. Not bad, but figured I'd tighten it while I had nothing to do.

Rotary.

All metal m8.

It's the bolt on the left that snapped.

>tightening a metal bolt so hard against a woven nylon reinforced belt that it breaks the metal
What are you even doing?

I will admit my retardation and lack of experience. No, I did not. I figured it was a simple bolt, and see now I was completely wrong.

Fucking up, that's what.

you'll know for next time.

if it only runs the power steering, see if you can get the belt off and drive without it to the parts store. Dunno if they'd have that specific tensioner in stock though. Call before hand or drive without powersteering for a while.

I'd walk.

I'd also maybe not trust your judgement on what's safe to do or not in the future.
You'll definitely pop your rotary in minutes without cooling.

You managed to gorilla that tensioner and it wasn't even at the end of its adjustment.
Were you turning it at a crazy angle?

Unless its the power steering, or alternator, I wouldnt drive it.

And if you do choose to drive it, remove the bolt, and belt so it doesnt flop around

When you get your replacement, apply anti seize to the thread so this wont happen again.

Remember, tightened belts need to have some flex to them.

Christ that belt needs replaced dude

You have to losen the bolt.on the back of the pully before you can adjust the belt

Just use an easy out on it. If the wrench won't budge it, just stand on it. Bounce if you have to.

Thanks man. The store is only right down the street, so if all that is is the power steering, it shouldn't be too bad.

Note taken, my judgement has a bad track record so you're probably right there.

Gotcha.

Is it that bad? It's got about this much loose.

I realize that now, thanks user.

judging by connections onto (what I assume is the power steering pump) and looking at a belt diagram, it looks like you should be ok if you get the belt out of there.

problem is, with some of the multi-belt set ups, if its the 4th belt you gotta take the other ones off first. That belt looks TRASHED though. Might just want to cut it off and source a long ass bolt if the tensioner pulley and assembly is still ok.

pic related, I think. FB/sa22c right?

>cut it off
Then the store will be fresh out of those belts.

Nah, FC/13B
Odds are I'll just get a new bolt, and take it to my mechanic. He lets me watch and help him work on it, as well he does it for free because of that. But outside of a clutch replacement/oil change, we haven't done shit to it, so I guess now's a good a time as ever to learn how to do pulleys.

Got the bolt all the way out though, so Ima take it with me to the store.

New bolt for sure, I'd recommend replacing the belt because the back of it looks pretty gnarly. Diagrams make it look like its on the front so you should beable to slip it off without any further disassembly.

pic semi related

Poor design. There's no locking nut on the other end to keep the bolt from traveling.

looks like it just goes to the power steering. you are probably to beta to man handle the steering wheel. Dont bother with the auto parts store, they will just look at you like a retard and say "we dont have nut and bolts here, but you can look down that isle there." Go to home depot or lowes and get a bolt AND nut.

>aisle

you also need to get a new belt. when belts squeal that usually means they need replaced, not tightened.

I'll get to doing next week once I got this done.

I can probably deal with it, I'll just have to not hoon like a mad cunt.
And ya, Auto Zone sent me to Home Depot, Home Depot sent me to K Surplus, K Surplus sent me to NAPA, and now NAPA is sending me to Topico.

Same as above, will replace next week.

These are 2 I've found with the right tread. I think the plastic one could reach and get about a 4th through, but I'd rather not rely on fucking plastic.

Negro, take your ass back to home depot and find the size nut that will fit on the original bolt. Dont ask the high school drop outs, do it yourself. They have a thing you can screw it into to find the right size. Buy two nuts and put the bottom half of the bolt back on.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

It's an M6, but they don't have it in any decent length.

Turns out, this last place is the supplier for body shops and the like, they had it, and now I know where to come for any of those plastic clips as well.