Why is it that only high end sports/super cars have rear mounted engines, Veeky Forums?

Why is it that only high end sports/super cars have rear mounted engines, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/tesla-tesla-model-s-achieves-best-safety-rating-of-any-car-ever-tested-2013-8?IR=T
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is the Toyota MR2?

Why would a car company manufacture an economy car with a rear-mounted engine? What makes you think this is a good idea?

Ruins practicality
Makes it strictly a single purpose vehicle
Most people can't afford to have a garage queen

A Boxster and MR2 are super practical for their size nigga

they are not practical in general

what makes it single purpose? Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea what the engineering reasoning is for rear-mounted engines to begin with. Isn't it purely weight distribution?

compared to FF FR and RR the following will be a cluster fuck
hydraulic lines
gear shift linkages
water and air cooling capability
discontinued

Have a fucking cayman

> a Twingo is now a high end / super car
ok

more like gayman

it's much harder to pass front impact tests when there isn't a hunk of metal in front. as they get more strict, MRs get more exclusive

Nope.

^-^

the last hope for honda

It's actually easier. It used to be a huge problem that the engine would get thrown into the driver's cabin and turn your legs into ground beef, but with no engine in the front you've got more room to play with crumple zones.

Because a rear mounted engine is no longer practical

this assumes that the front end is as long as a front engined car with the same engine size, which is almost never the case.

The real question is why are supercars so damned BIG?

I'd be happier than a pig in shit in something like an MX-5 with a 320hp 2.3L turbo at 2700lb.

If an engine up front was pertinent to crash safety then wed have a lot of incidents where the engine comes through the firewal

wide tires
usually AWD
usually "V" engines
to keep the car CG low, they need to make it wider to fit shit

also supercars look much smaller in person than photos make them seem

the safest car you can buy is mid engined

businessinsider.com/tesla-tesla-model-s-achieves-best-safety-rating-of-any-car-ever-tested-2013-8?IR=T

Super cars are rolling examples of people who put their income into their car or super rich dick heads flaunting their cash.

They are big to scream 'LOOK AT ME, FUCKERS! MY DICK IS BIGGER THAN YOUR DICK! BRING ME YOUR WHORES SO I CAN GIVE THEM PROPER SEED!'

I like 'em, but I am under no illusion as to what they are.

it's not engined at all

some high end FR has a tensioned cable that cuts though the engine mounts when the car detects a crash
then the engine and transmission just sail under the floor pan

>car detects crash
>fires explosive bolts on hood and engine mounts
>rocket motors under engine ignite and it ejects
make it happen, auto industry

>engine reaches optimum altitude
>deploys drogue

>Ruins practicality
Frunk
>Single purpose vehicle
Four seats and frunks are possible

The real problem is snap oversteer and daring to brake in a corner

>gear shift linkages
>2017

if you're still pressing a clutch pedal and moving a lever that is physically connected to the transmission you're a luddite and should not be asking for luddite features in a high end car.
stick is for NASCAR rednecks.

That's why you learn to drive first

>cant see any negative effect in making a wiring loom longer

>What makes you think this is a good idea?
Because it stows away neatly under the rear passenger seat.

You tell me pic related isn't practical. Could've been even moreso with a decent frunk.

That's OK. I've always thought the 911 would always have been better as a shooting brake, instead of the current Super Beetle back end.

But then again I'm a fan of the Z4 hatch.

it would be pretty negligible and you would still get faster shifts

not so negligible in terms of routing and fault tolerance
or for the purposes of mass production

New Twingo
Smart Fortwo

Those are mid engines for the most part, and take up a lot of interior room.

Oh, Tatra tried that, back in the 30s. It worked great, until Czechoslovakia got invaded and Volkswagen stole all their research and turned it into the Beetle.
It's fine for RWD, but when you can just make the car FWD and give it better handling in adverse weather AND get all the mechanical stuff in the front away from the cabin to prevent noise and absorb impact energy instead of pistoning through the occupants or acting like a pendulum on fast corners?
FF is superior for 90% of cars.

This. Sports cars should be RWD, besides that FWD is superior.