/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more

/sthg/ #643 - Continue? Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/Developments

Forgive my autism

Spades - Sonic Heroes
Ace - Sonic
King - Knuckles
Queen - Amy
Jack - Tails
10 - Cream
9 - Vanilla
8 - Blaze
7 - Marine
6 - Sticks
5 - Silver
4 - Vector
3 - Espio
2 - Charmy

Clubs - Eggman Empire
Ace - Metal Sonic
King - Eggman
Queen - Death Egg
Jack - Snively
10 - Orbot/Cubot
9 - Swatbot
8 - Egg Pawn
7 - Buzzbomber
6 - Crabmeat
5 - Motobug
4 - Scratch
3 - Grounder
2 - Coconuts

Hearts - FFs/Allies
Ace - Sally
King - Max
Queen - Bunnie
Jack - Antoine
10 - Rotor
9 - Uncle Chuck
8 - Professor Pickle
7 - Muttski
6 - Chip
5 - Tikal
4 - Big
3 - Froggy
2 - Omochao

Diamonds - Rivals
Ace - Shadow
King - Eggman Nega
Queen - Rouge
Jack - Omega
10 - Jet
9 - Wave
8 - Storm
7 - Nack
6 - Bean
5 - Bark
4 - Breezie
3 - Honey
2 - Tails Doll

Jokers
Sanic
Coldsteel

Excellent. Someone needs to animate that picture.

Also, fast.

First for shitpost.

good job

Absolute Madman

Bump

So I'm apparently still working on that Issue 94 redraw. Who knew?

Pretty good, though I question Eggman Nega as a 'Rival'.

If I may repost my alternative from the last thread

Personally I'd fit it as Sonic and friends - Hearts, Eggman Empire - Clubs, Good guys but not necessarily super friends of Sonic - Diamonds, and then villain of the week/everyone else - Spades:

You can fill out the number cards too this way, depending on how strict you're sticking to game/comic canon:

>Spades
King - Sonic
Queen - Amy
Jack - Tails
Ace - Knuckles
2 - Chip
3 - Yakker
4 - Shahra
5 - Cream
6 - Big
7 - Mighty
8 - Silver
9 - Blaze

Alternatively: Chao, Ray, Antoine, Sally, those other FFs

>Clubs
King - Eggman
Queen - Metal Sonic
Jack - Silver Sonic
Ace - Mecha Sonic
2 - Orbot
3 - Cubot
4 - Grounder
5 - Clucker
6 - Coconuts
7 - Slicer
8 - Motorbug
9 - Egg Pawn

Alternatively: Egg Bosses

>Diamonds
King - Shadow
Queen - Rouge
Jack - E-123 Omega
Ace - Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper
2 - Espio
3 - Charmy
4 - Vector
5 - Vanilla
6 - Marine
7 - Storm
8 - Jet
9 - Wave

Alternatively: Blokes from the shows and comics

Hearts
King - Perfect Chaos
Queen - Dark Gaia
Jack - Erazor Djinn
Ace - Zavok
2 - Chaos
3 - King Arthur
4 - Merlina
5 - Eggman Nega
6 - Neo Metal Sonic
7 - G.U.N. Truck
8 - Battle Kuku
9 - Biolizard

Alternatively: Any other Deadly Six member, anyone else.

Jokers - Omochao, Tails Doll, or Froggy

Bump

Looking good.

Bump

But it looks the same as the original. Aren't redraws supposed to be an alternative style or a direct improvement of the source?

It looks completely different from the original, what are you talking about?

It is in a different style though, or at least mina is. Also I wouldn't say a redraw has to be an improvement, that's a bad way of looking at it.

Compare it to the original and see if anons redraw looks like it. Sure everyone's in the same pose but it's definitely not the same style.

Bump

Looking damn good. I'd say the only criticizism would be the position of Sonic's fingers looking a bit odd.

anyone else think it's funny how the alt dimension general is doing pretty well? they snagged a boco even.

The hell?

Bump

What?

Thanks! Yeah his fingers were a bit odd in the original, considering changing them.

it's supposed to look the same, it's a redraw? you think this is the same style as the original? hm. Can't really help you there. And what said. I'm most definitely not trying to 'improve' spaz's original, that would be rude. I'm just doing it in my style with updated designs. Which admittedly is pretty much just Bunnie, since tails and sonic haven't changed and Mina a GONE (was she pendered?)

check /v/. just before this thread was made someone posted one in /v/. they're actually behaving in it. It's like a weird fleetway to our archie kinda thing.

It's full of weird different characters that are smug and mean and it'll die earlier. It even has a fleetway character as the op image. It's pretty funny.

What does /sthg/ think the new gameplay feature for project sonic 2017 is or going to contain?
( e.g wisps )

The ability to switch between 2D and 3D on the fly.

I don't like Tails' grin, but it's not a big deal.

So how does the new character connect to the new gameplay then?

Maybe he has an USB port

I want to see the Special Zone become important to the story and lore in a main 3D Sonic game.

What if the new character doesn't have an effect on the gameplay?

Gotcha. I thought you were talking about cripplechan for some reason.

He has a gun

Shadow doesn't need a shooting buddy.

Genius

Go away, Hotretard!

I want to see SEGA return to the lore that they seemed to have had in the Genesis Era. Like, all the stuff they had about the Chaos Emeralds, Master Emerald, Rings, Special Zone, Islands, etc, that can be found in the Japanese manuals for Sonic 1, 2, 3K, K. Chaotix, T. Adventure, and so on. I wish they would return to it and actually expand on it with all the lore they introduced in the Modern Eras, and, like, connect it all together in such a way that it feels like one big world, one big mythos, and stuff.

Yeah, I don't think that'll happen with the current devs and writers.

Wait didn't they do that in colour and generations (modern sonic) were sonic goes into a tunnel, does a stunt or the camera changes the angle, turning into 3D to 2D sonic and vice versa.
Unless you mean the player can change to 3D to 2D at will like in paper mario.

>lore
'fast blue guy jumps on fat red guy's robots', huh

you're confusing 'neat window dressing' with 'lore'

That Egg Robot actually looks like modern Eggman.

FASTEST OF LORES

The player changes it.

Tried coloring one of my older sketches. I wanna try doing color more in the future.
My sketches don't really conduct themselves to color since I use shading to determine color.

Well unleashed had a lot of lore as well. Lost world COULD have had a lot of lore but the game doesn't explain any of it. I'm very interested in the Zeti, Deadly 6 and Lost Hex but the game just kinda blows past that.

[angrily jabs fat finger-blob with chewed nails onto surface of expensive LCD monitor] that mountain range needs a name, sega!!!!! but i wouldn't think your RETARD DEVELOPERS would know anything about that...

>no Snively

Wonder how the zones or acts would have to made for this gameplay and glitches that come with it.

>chewed nails
Oh god no
Like my longish nails are genuinely black some days cause that's what you get with a coal fire but bitten nails are disgusting.

Nah it looks great Yoto, keep up the improvement.

god she looks hot in that dress. maybe she should get a red version

New guy here, just wait a sec, I'm playing sonic generations.
Is there only a single classic stage and a single modern stage for each theme?

If this is right and I'm not missing something, this game will be over before I know it. What the fuck.

There's also rivals and challenges for each theme as well.

>What the fuck.

I mean, like, How all the islands had ancient relics of ancient civilizations that were in possession of the Chaos Emeralds until something happened to them. And, in K. Chaotix and S3:K, the Special Zone was pretty much said to be a time-dimensional space generated by Ring Energy tethering each Ring together and is also directly linked to the Master Emerald Altar, and Special Rings can be used to summon the Master Emerald, and South Island moving across the ocean surface, and Westside Island being the "Island of Illusion", and everything about Little Planet and Never Lake and the Time Stones, and so on. Why don't SEGA return to all that, and use everything that was added in the later games to expand upon it!

I mean, like, Little Planet had a lot of lore about it, but the Lost Hex had practically nothing. If Colors, Generations, and Lost World were games from back then, we would have had a LOT of lore and mythology surrounding the Wisps, White Space, Time Eater, Lost Hex, Zeti, etc.

With the start of the Dreamcast Era with Sonic Adventure, it almost feels like they were trying to continue with it, but at the same time it feels sort of like a complete reboot and the rest of the Dreamcast Era up until Shadow '05 and maybe Sonic '06 feels like they were continuing the lore of Adventure at least, but after '06 and Unleashed, it all pretty much vanished.

...that was the last sentence.

This. Sonic never had lore, and frankly it doesn't really need it. Sonic is best when it's simple. I don't get why say, the Zeti need more explanation than "They're evil aliens, go stomp them". Or why Shadow needed that whole backstory when he could just be a guy that wants to be the best

>rivals
What's that?

>challenges
Like, the same stage but with different objectives?
I don't like that to be honest.
Seems cheap.

>fuck, we can't be bothered to make more stages
>just recycle and make some shit up real quick, they won't notice

Fuck, you guys summoned him.

>stopped reading at the end
Well duh

9 stages, 2 acts each, boss fights, sub bosses, separate challenge gates for both classic and modern. The main 'story' might be short but there's plenty there.

>Like, the same stage but with different objectives?
Yes. Just like every sonic game.

That sounds boring as shit and only interesting/useful to wikipedia people with the [citation needed] mental illness superpower

'i'm running through green hill zone ... but WHY am i here???'

Rival battles are basically bosses that can be unlocked within the hub world.
Also, how far are you in the game?

It's the everpresent "gameplay vs. story" debate, and we shouldn't continue discussing it unless you're all okay with sacrificing over half of the thread while doing so.

>That sounds boring as shit and only interesting/useful to wikipedia people with the [citation needed] mental illness superpower
Exactly. Nobody cares about why you're going through the levels. Just give them the levels and enemies to beat up and you're fine

Snively is the Jack of Clubs in the first one user

Don't reply then, stupid.

That goes against the fundamental design of any video game. If you aren't attached to the object you're controlling (meaning you don't care if it dies or loses the challenge it's presented), you in essence are just performing a very bright and colorful chore and the "game" aspect is lost. Sonic has an interesting design and great controls, but if there isn't a good reason for him to complete the level or defeat the enemies, nobody will want to play his game. "Just because" isn't a good reason.

Granted, but let's just take a fucking breath here. The plot summary for Sonic series is neatly summed up on the back of the fucking game box; otherwise if it's not in the instruction book (how do rings float in the air????) it's not important.

But the first 2 games gave you that without giving you a ton of lore. They just told you "Hey, Eggman is doing a thing, go kick his ass" and I think that's enough for a simple platformer like Sonic

>"Just because" isn't a good reason
at some point you have to ask even though it's impolite, do you have any imagination. why are you playing the game in the first place. what mood does playing the game put you in. basic hindbrain stuff.

Who here's ready for AGDQ this week?

I'm not too excited about the Sonic Block, but the SA2 run seems like fun

Last year's sonic block was much better by the lineup already

Just finished 3rd theme, unlocked challenges.
I'm really enjoying the classic 2D parts, 3D parts not so much, they feel kinda awkward.

Just quite sad it seems it will end so soon. Replaying stages with different objectives is just not my thing. Never liked that in platformers.

Sonic 1's Japanese instruction manual explained the setting, South Island being an island that moves across the ocean because of the Chaos Emeralds power flowing through it, and how Sonic and Eggman have a long history, and that Eggman's current plan is grander than the previous plans that Sonic stopped before. Sonic 2 explained Westside Island being an "Island of Illusion" with an ancient civilization that had the Chaos Emeralds but things went wrong, and how Sonic and Tails met and became friends, and that Eggman followed Sonic to the island because he knew Sonic would lead him to the emeralds, and that the Tornado is Sonic's plane and that Tails is a technological genius and loved the Tornado when he first laid eyes on it.

that feel when your emails to [email protected] go unanswered and you'll never learn whether Knuckles is aware of the Super Emeralds and whether they're distinct entities seperate from the Chaos Emeralds (and whether the Special Zone is a tangible Zone or a meta dream-like manifestation of the entrant's own internal reality re. Chaos being a higher power)

Yeah, but how much of that is really necessary. Besides, it's not in the game itself so it doesn't matter that much

no, that's wrong

Well, they're not going to return to the non-canon lore stuff like Chaotix and Tails Adventure, that much is certain.

>Yeah, but how much of that is really necessary
It depends on how much the person playing wants to know. You effectively aren't the ultimate judge of that seeing how hundreds of thousands of people play the game and have a different opinion on video game stories.

>the SA2 run seems like fun
Yeah, until those fucking autists ruin the music by singing to the vocal tracks with their cracking squeaky voices

What other sonic games do you have or have played or is that the only one?

I couldn't ever imagine playing Sonic 2 and, instead of thinking 'this is fun, i'm enjoying being the fast blue guy' thinking 'who built the TV, who placed it inside an active waterfall, how is it powered, and how does destroying it imbue the violence-doer with increased speed' instead

According to Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Knuckles Chaotix, and other stuff from that era...

The Rings generate a strange time-dimensional space linking each of them, which is the Special Zone. This dimensional space is also connected to the Master Emerald Altar, hence why the Special Rings on Angel Island can send you directly to the Hidden Palace Zone, and supposedly (according to what Eggman says in the K.Chaotix JP manual), the Special Rings can be used to summon the Master Emerald.

As seen in Sonic 3K, when Sonic and Tails went through the glowing Special Ring in Mushroom Hill and were warped to the Hidden Palace, the Chaos Emeralds in their possession rose out of their hands and onto the seven pedastels around the Master Emerald. And when Sonic and Tails stepped on the larger-sized emeralds and went through a Special Zone challenge, they awakened their power as Super Emeralds. And once all 7 Super Emeralds were awakened, the Master Emerald started glowing. So it seems to me that upgrading the Chaos Emeralds to the Super Emeralds served to strengthen the bond between them and the Master Emerald.

You're right, user. That's why no one plays Tetris. No one wants to stack colorful blocks together "just because".

GDQ's get worse every event, but I still watch.

Exactly. It's really baffling why people think there needs to be all this lore. Again, the classics did fine with a "Eggman is building a thing to take over the world, go stop him" story. If only the Modern games followed that too
Again, what's the point of all of this stuff, would the average kid playing it really care?

[looks at set of five Rings floating in the air above a wooden log bridge straddling a waterfall] this seems implausible and, yet, there they are, rotating. sigh [flips notebook open, scrawls a line below the rest]

well i watched sonic x, and, you're wrong.

Bump

Nigga, Tetris isn't in the same ballpark as Sonic. It's more of a puzzle-oriented game rather than a character-based game, and if you want to argue otherwise, ultimately the person you're most concerned about losing the game is...yourself. That argument doesn't really apply here.

*glares at spindashing tails* he's doing it again. how the fuck is he doing that *tails dies in lava, helicopters back onto screen* WHAT THE FUCK

Sonic X isn't a source, it's an alternate media piece that's been dead for 10 years.

no, i watched it, and you're wrong, they make him stronger, and powerful.

Well, you know, if Tails is a mystical kitsune like many theorize, then everything odd about him is automatically explained.

Watching it or not is irrelevant, it's not game canon.

A few levels of the first one on emulator, with save states.
A few levels of rush on DS, stopped because I couldn't beat a level or boss, that was some time ago so I can't remember which.

That is all. Generations is the first I'm playing seriously, really.

For the love of god at least play 2 and 3. And the Advance trilogy