How long does it take to pick up driving a manual car?

How long does it take to pick up driving a manual car?

had my first manual driving lesson last week. felt a bit awkward because I kept driving like I was in an automatic car until towards the end of the session.

got another lesson tomorrow. think I should be right after that then start driving alone?

Also when gone into first gear its
clutch in
rev to 2kish and maintain
shift to first
find biting point to start creeping
then release clutch slowly

At least that's what the instructor says.

My bro says the process is more like
clutch in
shift
slowly release clutch for biting point.
release brake with right foot
car should start creeping
apply some throttle
release clutch slowly fully

also every gear you got to find the biting point right before you start to apply some throttle?

You must be special ed or some shit brah it took me like five mins to learn that shit not even haha dumb bitch

Your bros way seems to make more sense and that is also what i do

>also every gear you got to find the biting point right before you start to apply some throttle?

You don't really have to do it changing up but it certainly makes it smoother

>class
are you dumb? I bought a manual car and learned in about 2 hours

where did you go to learn?

A road around a lake later at night when it was empty.
I had someone help me test drive the car before buying then I just practiced in it.

Steps to git gud at stick Someone make a fucking sticky since this thread seems to pop up all the time
maybe even improve my directions because im drunk and typing this quickyl.
>You must read this in Dale's voice

Step1 (Learn bite point)
>let out clutch slowly till car starts to creep forward
>Get car moving on flat surface without using throttle
>Do this without stalling out

Step 2 (Throttle control)
>Now that you know where clutch grabs
>Same as step one but use throttle this time
>Slowly add throttle as you are letting clutch out (how much throttle depends car to car)
>Repeat until you can go from stopped to moving without being jerky as fuck

Step 3 (Hill Starts)
>Learn to do step 2 while on an incline
>This is pretty much the same as step 2 but you will roll backwards if you are not fast enough
>add throttle while getting to bite point quickly

Step 4 (Downshifting)
>Learn what the RPM difference between gears
>Learn to blip throttle for desired RPM
>Match RPM with gear you want
>Go down 1 gear (5th-4th/4th-3rd)
>Practice till you can do this not jerky as fuck

Step 5 (I'm fucking Daigumi now)
>Now that you can drive and are not jerky as fuck
>Heel Toe Dopwnshift
>Same as step 4
>Left half of ball of foot on brake
>While pushing brake either roll side of foot to blip throttle or twist and use heel to blip throttle (depends on car and pedal distance/setup) do whatever works for you there isnt a right way to do t his
>Get the gear you want
>foot off brake and onto throttle
>you now down a gear slowed down and ready to go WAT out of the turn.

Sticky this pls

If I'm in fourth and braking to a slow enough speed can i skip straight to 2nd gear for a turn or something

or as I'm approaching a turn do I need to slow down a bit then get into third then 2nd?

Also when down shifting do you need to find the biting point.

ie.
brake a little and clutch in
shift down 1 gear
start releasing clutch for bite point
give some gas and release clutch fully slowly.

See and step 4
you can go 5th-2nd if you can match the RPM. No reason to do it unless you are trying to be a race car man. Harder on all parts of your car but is possible.

How comfortable were you after those two hours?

> If I'm in fourth and braking to a slow enough speed can i skip straight to 2nd gear for a turn or something

>or as I'm approaching a turn do I need to slow down a bit then get into third then 2nd?

you can get from the fourth into the second gear without a problem, you dont need to ladder it all down through all gears.
of course the speed needs to match the gear, you cant shift into the second gear if your still going 60 mph.

and you dont need to give gas while downshifting. in theory it might be better for the engine etc. but practically no one is doing this.(maybe only if your synchros are shot but thats a other story)
the engine will rev up by itself mostly while downshifitng.

also while upshifting, you dont really need to revmatch. the time needed while clutching and shifting is mostly the right amount of time for the revs to drop, to match the revs you need for the higher gear. if it doesnt match 100% the engine will correct itself.

manual shifting isnt that hard as many americans think. at the beginning it is, but after a time its just something you do. you dont think about it.

>>Learn what the RPM difference between gears

how do I learn this?

>cousin promises me a car when I turn 16
>the day finally comes in 2000
>gives me a 1990 civic si
>giddy af
>open the car door
>shifter looks odd
>its a manual
In 3 hours I learned how to drive a manual. I did it in a vacant Montgomery Ward parking lot. It was a great feeling because I was so excited that I got a car so learning how to drive it made the experience even better. I love manuals.

>Drive 40mph in 4th look at RPM
>Drive 40pmh in 3rd look at RPM
>What is the difference

>the beginning it is, but after a time its just something you do. you dont think about it.

How long is this time?

Because I have only driven automatics for the past 10 years it feels like I was just driving as I usually do without thinking about. like I was there to learn manual but then I was forgetting to even touch the clutch and gears sometimes out of habit.

think it's harder to learn after driving auto Matic because you have the easy mode driving ingrained in you

>How long is this time?
depends on the person. How fast you git gud is just how often you drive. the more you drive it the more it becomes muscle memory

a few weeks to some months depending on how much you drive/focus/learning ability

> hillstarts

What? You use your hand break to do them (on anything more than a slight rise)
> stopped, clutch in, 1st gear, foot on break
> use handbreak to prevent roll back, break foot on accelerator
> ease clutch out, accelerate and let off hand break
> zoom zoom

>accelerator pedal to the metal
>pop clutch
>make the hill my bitch
YEH BOI

Handbrake is for bitches and people with gutless cars. However if that what it takes for you to do a hillstart by all means use handbrake

Donna about that, I know a old guy who has trouble driving autos as he goes to clutch-change gear and ends up breaking

I DD an auto, but it only takes me a few mins to get used to a manual after not driving it for a few months

well, how long did you need to know how you need to brake, which speed do you need to use while driving through cornors, or how to park properly.

and stuff the other fags said.

>how to park properly
It's okay to ride the clutch when parking or while in a parking lot. I mean, you could shift but that would be a major pain in the ass.

Maybe you guys just don't have big enough hills or something?

No way in hell you can take off without rolling on most of the roads around here without using a hand break or revving the shit and popping the clutch

> my manual is a '88 Volvo 2.3l NA, so it's not a gutless shitbox

I think you just aren't fast enough. my old 95 sonoma 4banger could do a hillstart without rolling backwards and that car was gutless.

it took me about two days to learn and a month to perfect it.
i had zero experience with cars before this and it was a bit of a struggle at the start (i looked at the gearstick when i first started) but repeatitivness of going through the gears and figuring out when the car stalls etc etc taught me pretty quick

A couple of days.

And then a year or two to realize that it's a waste of time and that you gain ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING OF VALUE by having a clutch pedal or a physical link to your gearbox. Clutch kick drifts and burnouts, maybe, but that's stuntman garbage in the same class as keybangers

"tricks you can do with shitty old slowfag technology"

hopefully i get to Daigumi one day

got to step 4 tho

>took me about two days to learn
just driving all day? in an empty parking lot or more quiet streets?

Also what's the best way to hold the shifter? hand horizontal like holding bike handles. or hand vertical like when holding your dick to Jack off

easiest guide op:
from a stop no hill degree
clutch in
put it first gear
release clutch slowly while giving gas

to stop is to clutch in, brake, shift to neutral
my honda civic doesn't seem to mind me braking while in gear, but I have heard it rumored that it bogs the engine when you brake while in gear

source: i have been driving stick shift cars for almost 4 years
it becomes easier after a week or two.
challenge yourself and do start and stops. find an empty parking lot with no speed bumps, get it into first gear, then come to a stop. repeat. that's how my dad taught me.

Oh I forgot, insecure losers can prove that they have average or better intelligence and coordination without having to collect genuine achievements.

Which is why it's so popular on Veeky Forums.

I'm at 11years so far and this has not happened to me yet. Maybe someday this will happen.

lol get a car with a CVT and kill yourself

Depends on the car and the shifter pattern, i tend to be somewhere between vertical and horizontal

Just whatever's comfortable

about half a day each in my backyard which is pretty big, learnt the basics and the next day got my l plates and went to the straightest least busy country road to go through the gears so if i fucked up it wouldnt matter. once i could do that comfortably i drove 2 hours to another city and back which made me less scared of driving and other drivers while not having to worry about driving the car that much as it was in 5th gear cruising all the way there. of course if you drive an auto you wont need to do this if youre learning manual after

personal preference really, doesnt actually matter its whats most comfortable. unless some boy racer wants to correct me on how to get the quickest time at the lights

probably like jacking off another dude since you seem to be so used to that

u should practice in stop and go traffic. youll want to switch back to auto.

i learnt that shortly after, i dont think its too bad actually, keep me more alert looking at the lights checking when to put it back into gear to start again.
also with that being said ive only driven an auto though traffic once. was easier but im a p plater so at this stage in my life driving is still fun no matter the circumstance

It's not that bad.

I'd rather have a DCT. Having to choose between shifting really quickly and gearbox lifespan is hell, and a DCT is your only option if you don't want/can't get a literal racecar transmission with shift dogs instead of synchros.

>Taking driving lessons to drive stick

Jesus. Just get in & drive it, pussy. Start in your neighborhood to get the hang of it. I never drove one in my life & got the hang of it in 10 mins. No stalls.

In a similar vain, I have a civic with cvt, and am thinking of trading it in for the new Si when it comes out.
My only experiences with a standard have been in high school in a parking lot and around the neighborhood with a buddy's camaro, and in college with my roommates cobalt.
Stalled the camaro a few times but got the hang of driving it around the neighborhood. That buddy was shit at teaching though, just said to slowly let out clutch while giving more gas as you let clutch out
Roommate did a better job explaining to find the bite point and whatnot.
My only worries are a few hills in my drive to work
Tl;dr: should I buy a new car with standard transmission with only an hour or so total time behind the wheel of cars with manual transmission?

Nfs doesn't count sperglord

I could easily do hillstarts on 20% gradients in my old 1.4 shitbox without handbrake and without rolling back. It's just a matter of knowing where your biting point is, nailing the timing of switching from brake to accelerator and letting off the clutch, knowing how much throttle you need to move off a given hill, and enough practice to do the whole motion smoothly. It takes a bit of practice to master it, but you can do it in any car without needing to rev the engine and dump the clutch.

cvt is absolute dogshit

Manual=DCT>Modern triptronic Auto>Older Auto>dogshit>satan>cvt

Ophie: Try to understand the mechanics of the whole operation:
>>Why doesn't the car move when I'm in neutral?
>>Why must I use the clutch to get it in gear?
...and so on and so forth.
It'll help a lot.

BRRRAP BAP BAP BAP BAP BAP BAP *CLUNK* SCURRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ive been driving manual cars for roughly 5 years, ive been trying to better myself as a driver since i first learned and ive only just mastered rev matching and the heel and toe technique in my car (more just using the width of my foot to contact both pedals because they are close together) its only recently that I can flow utterly smoothly up and down the gears. it does take a lot of practice to get it perfect, but can still be beneficial even when done slightly wrong so dont be afraid to try.

I get asked often why I bother driving like that, let it be known that this will increase the life of your vehicles components

It took me about 5 minutes to get the hang of the clutch.

>also every gear you got to find the biting point right before you start to apply some throttle?
No. You just apply throttle once you start pulling the clutch up, and you'll get a feel for how much and when. The synchros will do the rest.

The secret is to practice enough so you can do it without thinking about it, and then practice some more so it's entirely automatic.

Professional instructor.

makes the ride smoother

usually you have to pull a bit on the shaft of the stick

Just shift up and slowly off the clutch. Synchros will raise your RPM up to the correct level. Go a little above this when you rev match

Find a multi-lane highway at night and just practice different speeds for a few minutes if there's no traffic. Go from 5th to 4th and see the RPM raise a little. Hold that speed and go down to 3rd, RPM will probalby go up about 1000.

With my 4cyl I can do 40 at 4k RPM in 2nd gear. So if I'm downshifting down to 2nd I just pick whatever RPM is at my speed. (I'm going 34mph, so I rev match up to about 3 and a half smoothly without jerking).

If anyone's learning stick shift don't even bother with rev match. Just release the clutch slow and the synchros will do it for you. Rev matching is for old men and racers. You don't need to do it when you clutch out slowly.

>B-B-BUT YOU'LL WEAR UR SYNCROS AND CLUTCH

who cares quit being a poorfag and get it fixed

4 cyl? Then gas the FUCK out of it. When I started driving a Honda manual I was amazed at how hard I had to whip it just to keep up with traffic.

>your 4 cyl shitbox now has a broken transmission that costs more to replace than you paid for the car
>scrapheap.jpg

On most cars, the clutch/gearbox/engine usually determine the lifespan of the car. When one of them goes in a major fashion, the car's no good for fixing unless you can do the work yourself with scrap parts.
And even then it's only good for another 50-100k miles.