With all the talk about electric cars and hybrids these days, why hasn't anyone talked about just improving gasoline...

With all the talk about electric cars and hybrids these days, why hasn't anyone talked about just improving gasoline? The big draw of electric cars is that they produce no emissions themselves, right? Couldn't someone develop a gasoline that burns perfectly to produce no emissions? So the engine would have a perfect burn mix in the cylinder and nothing would come out of the exhaust manifold - the gasoline burns perfectly and there's no exhaust generated.

I'm trying hard to restrain myself here.

...a perfect combustion reaction produces emissions. It is just a byproduct of the chemical reaction - not the product of an imperfect process.

I'm trying hard to restrain myself here.

...a perfect combustion reaction produces emissions. It is just a byproduct of the chemical reaction not the product of an imperfect process.

okay, but why can't they make a chemical reaction that doesn't produce anything in the right-hand side of that equation?

>why hasn't anyone talked about just improving gasoline?
This is literaly what the automotive industry has been doing for the past two decades. We thought EVs and hybrids were definitely gonna kill ICE two decades ago but then the automakers started pulling a lot of ICE improvements out of their ass when we thought that gasoline engine technology was already stagnant and maxed out.

because that's not how chemistry works.

It has to be a different fuel

Is it because we're not willing to break the rules, or is it because people just can't think of a way to bypass them?

No it's combustion. So it combines with oxygen to burn. You can't have something combine with oxygen and end up with nothing. That's not conservation of anything really. Look up vapor carburetor s and fuel injectors if you want a big oil company to murder you in your sleep

Perfect oxidation is impossible. At best, the consumed fuel byproduct could be collected inside the vehicle, siphoned out at some point, and buried.

Unless you have some method of violating physics, no.

>Is it because we're not willing to break the rules, or is it because people just can't think of a way to bypass them?
I'm pretty sure you're trolling, but if people could break the laws of physics just by trying really hard, somebody would do it, and the world would be a very different place. But we can't. The laws are what they are.

this has to be bait.

>break the rules
That's like saying that we haven't learned to breathe underwater because nobody has tried hard enough

Hydrogen ICEs meet your criteria. I don't know much about them, but I guess they're not so good since you don't ever see them.

Why can't they make a car that runs on coal and produces diamonds as it's only emission?

You couldn't sell them legally, the all the soccer mom's would bitch about you driving around hard as diamonds.

The problem is that there needs to be a network of hydrogen refueling stations. That network in the US is starting to be built out from socal, but it'll be awhile.

One thing that kinda sucks about H is that it has to be kept compressed and chilled, so you can't keep a can or two of the shit in the back for when you're out in buttfuck nowhere.

Hydrogen only makes sense if you have access to large quantities of water and clean energy (eg not dirty nuclear or coal/NG). California has neither of these so it's really pointless.

Because the laws of fucking thermodynamics

>tfw no hydrogen wanker

Hydrogen is expensive to produce I believe a lot of energy is required and lost from production to use in an automobile.

>Look up vapor carburetor s and fuel injectors if you want a big oil company to murder you in your sleep
How about you take a basic chemistry course first? A """"""vapor carburetor"""""" isn't going to fundamentally change the chemical reaction that is going on and reduce emissions /increase fuel economy beyond what you get with direct injection. Your """"""vapor carburetor miracle cars"""""" got 50mpg because they made like 15hp not because of a magical device that an enormous and impossible conspiracy covered up.

Honestly if you were fucking shit at 7th grade physics and chemistry you have no right to talk about cars.

Hydrogen production and storage is massively inefficient. Before hydrogen is even close to viable there need to be massive and extensive networks of clean electrical production as well as a big technological advance that makes it easier to store long term.

This is a side tangent but why haven't we developed artificial gasoline? Sure it would hurt the environment (so the government won't fund it) and it would devalue oil (so big business won't fund it) but I feel like it should be easy if we know the process and want a specific outcome to then be able to synthesize a perfect replacement

thats what biodiesel is

its just the stuff thrown into a compost bin refined into ethanol

Pretty sure everything that burns has to release chemicals

>you share the planet with this person

It's been done.

And its really good.

But for obvious reasons not a whole lot of funding has been thrown at it.

What about a car that runs off of water? It's got both hydrogen (explosive) and oxygen (combustive), so why not figure out a way to use those?

Ken M is this you?

After over 100 years of development, gas engines are pretty much maxed out.
We already have engines changing their cam profiles depending on rpm and load running compression ratios up to 1:14 and exaust gas threadment good enough to get the the exaust almost breathable, if it wasn´t full of CO2.
There isn´t much more you can can improve on gas engines.
Look at the F20C for example, it is a late 90s engine and there are still no better NA engines around.

The last things coming are NA VVL/VVT engines running Atkinson cycle in low load/rpm and otto in high load/rpm.

That is what you call a battery.

A "vapor carburator" isn´t the reason for ggod fuel economy, just ask the hypermilers, they do crazy shit to get good mpg and don´t use these.

If you want to improve your engine eficiency, change your intake cam profile to a atkinson cycle one and increase your compression to 1:15-20 and get a kammback for your car.

Using hydrogen isn´t that good, it is way to inefficient to produce and usually produced using oil and gas.
Also the range sucks even more than electric cars due to heavy high pressure tanks.

Postmodernism does not apply to physics.
Are you the same guy who started a couple threads asking why we don't make self-powered cars that do not require any fuel?

>2017
>Implying the solution isnt compressed air cars

Same picture, I think so.

>implying their range doesn´t suck more than electric cars

Is this a troll or were you homeschooled by chimps?

DARK MATTER YOU WANT DARK MATTER

Their range is only limited to the ai pressure contained within their tank, the technology necessary to increase rigidity of them in order to contain 6 digit psi already exist

Imagine an engine fully made out of carbon fiber since there is no thermal energy

Compressed air are the futire, fuck heavy batteries making cars pigfat as fuck

They will never det as good as electric ones and are extremely ineficcient.

The theoretic perfect engine process is 40% efficiency by calculation, but gl with that

Fuck you fag battery cars are shit

Hopefully we will run out of minerals soon and memelectric cars die out

>running out of lithium any time soon
Won´t happen, even seawater contains lithium in significant quantities.

>get in car accident
>tank ruptures
>car is propelled to highway speeds from air jet and causes a chain reaction

>Postmodernism does not apply to physics.
We live in a post truth society and apparently we "have had enough of experts"