Well my car got t-boned today by a jackass running a red light. I'm fairly certain it will be totaled

Well my car got t-boned today by a jackass running a red light. I'm fairly certain it will be totaled.

I've always wanted an s2000, and I think I might finally get one (I've always had hot hatches and boring SUV's so they're "practical"). Is it a bad idea, as a single guy without kids, to only have a 2 seater roadster?

Well not really but an S2000 isn't a good daily driver, a Boxster would actually be better

But as a second car there's no reason to not get it

>an S2000 isn't a good daily driver
Not disagreeing or arguing, but what makes it any worse of a DD than you'd expect of a roadster?

>high strung engine with next to no power under 6000rpm
>burns oil
>ride isn't the greatest for your every day roads
soft top is utter trash and doesn't insulate you from the cold or road noises
>soft top also rattles
>hardtops are all stupid expensive and/or don't fit properly
>cruisin' at 6th gear at 4000rpm just to keep up with minivans
>literally every cop has it out for you, in a car where you're going to chirp the tires

good luck finding an S2K for a decent price.

Those are all fair points. Got any other roadsters you suggest other than the Boxster? Just not a huge fan of them looks wise.

What would you consider a decent price?

OP here again, let's change gears completely. Maybe not a roadster specifically, what about a GT style car?

Two doors, two (useless) seats in the back, nice trunk, comfy, good on the high way. Would make for a good commuting car as well as some fun in the mountains, yeah?

Lol that's the thing, the only roadsters I have some experience with are notamiata's S2000 and my Boxster

But I've heard Z3Ms and Z4s are also pretty good too, if a little soft
Regular Z3s are trash though, avoid those

You could probably get a C5 Corvette for the price of a good S2000

So it's your Boxter that got totalled? Because if not my question is why you want a second 2 seater sports car.

Hah, well I appreciate the suggestions. I'll definitely consider it at least!

Honestly I hadn't even considered the Corvette, but it's not an unfair suggestion.

I'm not OP

Honestly, the C5 Corvette is a hell of a lot of car for the money if you can live with the Fisher Price interior

>entering the intersection without checking to make sure it was clear
you dun goofed.

As much as i love the S2000 finding one that isnt modded to shit or has a shitload of miles is damm near impossible here in SoCal. Corvettes tho are a dime a dozen.

>Well not really but an S2000 isn't a good daily driver, a Boxster would actually be better
A reliable car that has some minor problems is a HORRIBLE daily, get an extremely unreliable and expensive to repair porsche to make sure when you have a problem you'll be riding bus for a week!

you're a fucking retarded

I've been daily driving my Porsche for years now, I sure am retarded

You don't know anything about cars do you? I want 16 year olds off this board

I DDed a S2K for years and it was fine, boring as fuck like a Civic or a Fit. What it actually sucked at was road trips. The roads here are just too shit for it to be comfortable for long, and when I got to unfamiliar twisties, I wouldn't go that hard because it's easy for the shit roads to fuck the sketchy rear up enough to cause trouble, and on longer trips being on red alert all the time gets tiresome. The shit stereo system, wind noise, and buzzy engine were annoying, but that's what earbuds are for.

Other problems include being paranoid about having your seats or your entire car jacked. S2Ks are a big theft target, and if you don't have secure parking for it, preferably at both ends but definitely at home, don't bother. A lot of people's S2K ownership experiences have ended with the police finding their car in a ditch, stripped and occasionally even torched.

What you should do instead isget an Alfa

#
>high strung engine with next to no power under 6000rpm
Nature of the beast. But there is plenty of usable power for casual driving under 6000.
>burns oil
Some AP1s do consume oil. Burning oil is a misconception.
>ride isn't the greatest for your every day roads
It's a sports car. Quality aftermarket coilovers will drastically improve the overall ride.
soft top is utter trash and doesn't insulate you from the cold or road noises
It's a convertible. But far from trash.
>soft top also rattles
It's a convertible. But my OEM 00 softtop is still solid. Plastic window and all.
>hardtops are all stupid expensive and/or don't fit properly
Yes, OEM hardtops are expensive and for good reason. They fit properly. Go OEM or don't buy a hardtop at all.
>cruisin' at 6th gear at 4000rpm just to keep up with minivans
There's another 5000 left in her when cruising at 4k.
>literally every cop has it out for you, in a car where you're going to chirp the tires.
Don't drive like an idiot.

>There's another 5000 left in her when cruising at 4k.
How the hell is this even an argument

>muh 9000 rippums bro
And a 30 year old Honda bike can rev to 20,000k rpm, what's your point?

Holy shit man. Nissan is worse than BMW. I never thought I'd see the day.

Nissan only sells rebadged Renaults now, so it shouldn't be shocking.

Lel I completely forgot about that, most of the Honda community is absolute trash

Yeah, I was really disappointed to see Nissan cucking themselves out like that to the Frenchies. I wonder how long before they're out of business?

>halo car is a decade old, price has doubled
>affordable sportscar is over a decade old, costs as much as a V8 Mustang for the same performance as the V6
>normal cars are all fugly and depressing shitboxes with the worst CVTs in the business
>redundant cars in their line up
They can't die soon enough

I would love to own a S2000, but its already too late, they are way too expensive now, not worth the money people ask for them.
For the money of a used S2000 you can buy a new MX-5, and it may not be as good as the S2k but at least is new.

3000gt vr4. Don't let that "it's pigfat" shit dissuade you. They handle their weight extremely well

Get an eclipse Spyder gt

S2000 is a cool car but I would not buy one to be honest. It's overpriced. I see them selling for around $15,000 which is completely ludicrous. You can buy a Z4, 350z, 370z, and even approaching Porsche territory which are all arguably more luxurious and powerful vehicles.

Either get a Miata or one of the cars above. Don't get a fucking s2k unless you're rich as fuck and want to collect one.

Lol my roomate has one of those. Not a bad car. OP could always go the Frs/Brz. Not a convertible though.

>inb4 slow piece of shit

I don't know what is up with those transmissions man. I've known people that have went though five of those. Fuck the CVT.

Well, youre on Veeky Forums so one seat should suffice for your daily activities. Consider a crotchrocket

> mfw OP probably meant to total his shitbox so that he can finally get an s2k
> mfw I have no face

Wut. A new MX-5 approaches $30K, while a decent AP1 is in the mid-teens. And a clean AP1 will probably appreciate from here if you find a low-mileage example and keep it low.

Dunno about AP2, especially the MY06 and newer, because you know how purists are.

I got a z3 and it works great 99% of the time as a DD. if you need to haul shit go throw in an extra 1000 on a shitkicker ranger or something. you'll at least learn about ferds that way.

>buy a car
>spend money maintaining it
>don't drive it
durr muh investment

OP here again, thanks for the advice and suggestions on other cars. I'll look at some of the other options. I fucking love the s2000, but you all bring up a lot of good downsides to consider. I'm heavily considering the Corvette, based on their price and the like.

Honestly I'd prefer it if it wasn't a convertible. Don't get me wrong, I like the roadster look, but a hardtop (or better yet, targa top, hello Corvette) is definitely where my heart lies.

Already have a bike. And yeah, I'm foreveralone so whatever, I'm not concerned about seating arrangements.

Nah, I really liked my car. It was a '14 Focus ST. Awesome car, and I seriously almost cried when I saw it going on the flatbed.

That's probably what I'm going to wind up doing. DD whatever fun car I get, and buy a cheap beater Jeep, Blazer, Ranger, whatever for the really bad snow days and when I have to haul shit around.