Driving Cross Country

Hello Veeky Forums

I'm a cityfag who's never owned a car but has plenty of driving experience. I want to spend 4-6 weeks driving cross country this summer. The route will be something along the lines of pic related. My budget for the car and trip is $8000, I'll probably sell the car shortly after the trip.

After some research I've decided I want a Mustang GT from model years 2001-2003, coupe, manual transmission. Can any Mustang owners or cross country drivers give me some tips? Should I go clockwise instead of counterclockwise around the country? Is a Mustang a bad idea? I am open to any ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

popsci.com/what-is-ces-and-how-do-i-attend
theverge.com/2014/1/9/5286380/this-is-the-real-ces
boxsterroadtrip.com/
roadsideamerica.com/tip/6241
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

An American car with a V8 is perfect for touring the country

Get an 05 so you can look at least semi cool.

That's not crossing the country that's circumnavigating it why don't you sit down and spend some time reviewing correct navigational terminology before posting you ignorant FUCK

You should get one of these.

Or these.

Your path appears to skip Utah. Ive driven cross country in an E-350 (highly recommend btw) and there are some crazy national parks to see there.

Best park in the country though is Glacier, it's like a hidden gem in Montana. Don't miss it. Going to the Sun Road is an incredible road to drive, cut out of the face of a cliff. Two lanes, no gaurdrails.
On mobile so I can't upload an image but google it, it's amazing.

I want to do something similar one day with my 99 Cobra. Good on you man!

>driving thru west Texas
>ever
My boy, you underestimate our power and reach

I really hope you take exactly that route

I'm leaving in late spring so I think I'd be better of doing the south first. After New Orleans I would head to Denver then New Mexico. I've been to El Paso and can confirm it's boring out there

I'm definitely interested in hitting Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota for National Parks. Will read about Utah. Thank you

Are they fun? I want a big American V8 to fly down those long straight roads out west

how does Veeky Forums feel about the 4.6L V8?

Been there. Done that. :)

I've driven from SC to CA like 5 times and I never want to do it again.

Make sure your seats fold down so you can sleep flat with your feet in the trunk.

stay organized. Make a list of what you're taking, and have a place for it all. You can put stuff in your sleeping space when you're driving, and vice versa. Summer means bugs, try to get out in the spring

got something against hawaii and alaska?

come to south florida m8 i'll buy you a beer and then steal your car

Rest stops on the Ohio turnpike are like the Ritz

CTS wagon

boat rv

Stop at wall drug

Not especially fun, just comfy cruisers that are cheap and easily repaired. Don't underestimate the possibility of needing a repair done at night on a weekend in the backside of beyond. With either a CV or a Mustang you could stand a good chance of getting it done. Maybe a Honda or Toyota. Anything from Europe, forget it.

Good workhorse. Not so good for power without power adders. And even then you'll need the bottom end reworked to sustain decent power. IMO just accept one for what they are. Maybe some free or real cheap mods but other than that leave it alone and enjoy the miles it lays down.

Yeah I kinda want to do what OP proposes too but I don't want to spend essentially 4 days crossing the plains states for exactly this reason.

I highly recommend you read travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. It's literally the route you described, but 55 years ago.

>y budget for the car and trip is $8000, I'll probably sell the car shortly after the trip.

get a pick up with a camper shell. preferably 4x4. most of the best places in the US are places where you are going to be sleeping out in the middle of nowhere.

also, your route sucks. you are supposed to do a figure 8.

>Plains are boring
You can always enjoy the small towns every 20 miles. Read a book, watch a movie, grab a beer, go on a jog!

I put 85,000 hard miles on 4.6L 3V, not a single issue ever.

If you take some scenic by-ways, you'd be surprised what you will see in states like Nebraska and eastern Wyoming.

I was already thinking that the southern east-west leg was going to be US50 which at least gives you a break in the monotony crossing the Rockies. I guess my entertainment will just be in having to figure out how to follow the fucking thing through a thousand small towns across Missouri and Kansas.

Still undecided on the northern east-west leg.

>misses cleveland
>misses new york city
>misses pittsburg
>misses chicago
>misses miami
>misses denver
>misses maine
>misses detroid

WHAT THE FUCK DUDE

ITS LIKE YOU HATE AMERICA

>misses cleveland
>misses new york city
>misses pittsburg
>misses chicago
>misses miami
>misses denver
>misses maine
>misses detroid
Not seeing a problem here

>driving in NYC
>EVER
>FUCKING
>EVER

Better off riding the rails desu, nyc traffic is a disaster.

Maybe take a 1 week trip first and see if you really want to spend 4-6 weeks dodging 18-wheelers?

Consider a series of rentals? You'll get newer, comfier vehicles.

while I agree he's missing some cool spots, I would ignore NYC like the plague. Great city for literally everything but driving.

>nyc
>chicago
>maine
>detroit

why ever

Going to assume that's not your route, because you're going to be missing out on some of the best parts of the country..
There's some awesome mountain roads and parks in Vermont/New Hampshire, most of Utah/Colorado is amazing for driving, Florida, while it has it's issues, is pretty sweet too, and you're missing tonnes of awesome cities in the south east..

Also, Mustang should be alright, wouldn't be my first choice..

Just a word of warning though, $8000 for car+Trip is kinda low maybe, depending on how you plan on doing it. Assume every hotel is going to cost you $100/night and hope it averages out, gas will cost more than you expect in some places, food, will be very expensive unless you have some way of cooking for yourself while on the road. (Like, EXTREMELY expensive.) You're looking at $10~15 a meal unless you want to risk getting the shits from eating nothing but junkfood the whole trip.

If you're going to camp with a tent/cooking setup, a Mustang should have enough room as long as you pack light, and buying stuff at a grocery store is going to cost a hell of a lot less than fast food/restaurants.

I've taken a few road trips from Maine~Florida~back and Those alone are generally $1200 round trip for just gas/lodging/food.

And one last thing, you will be putting a fuck load of miles on that car, you're going to have to make sure you've got new tires to start out with, and you're going to need atleast one oil change on the road.

Not trying to deter you from going, it'd be a seriously exciting time, but you sound like you've never done something like this, and costs add up so much faster than you will expect. I seriously wouldn't do this in a sub-4-5k car unless I knew how to fix it myself with minimal tools/parts

>I want to spend 4-6 weeks driving cross country this summer.
If you join AAA, then they can provide trip advice maps and notations of scenic places to visit. It would take me 6 weeks just to cross from one side to the other because I want to check out places or do things along the way. Just driving through is no good. Every meal stop should be amusing and not some standardized restaurant like Applebees which you can get the same food wherever you go.

Lots of commercial places and even some factories have tours. You should figure out some detours and add that to the AAA destinations list. They will mark down on the maps some optimum path for you. For example, it looks like you are using I-90 across the north. You are ending in Seattle and then going south on I-5. While in seattle, you should tour the Boeing factory. Make the reservations ahead of time for this summer's target. Set your arrival time to be 2 days before your factory tour date. That way, you have leeway and if you do happen to get there early (probably not because long driving trips often fall behind schedule), you will then have time to drive north to Vancouver British Columbia in Canada. Have your passport or other proof of citizenship ready for a border crossing. Oh, if you have bench warrants or other crimes, don't go on a border crossing since the computer will tell them to detain you.

Local libraries typically have free internet, so go to those and look up the local sights on the city's promotional webpages. The local librarian can tell you which websites. You'll get a much more full experience than simply driving through each state. How else will you visit the ICBM missile silo tours for example? You also need to book reservations in advance for that. But since summer is a ways off, you have time hopefully. Don't wait. They may be full already a year ahead of time (I've had problems like that before).

AAA and its tow service is peace of mind.

Take more time.
Take more money.

Don't skip Tail of the Dragon

>decide it's a nice day in winter in the middle of the week
>let's drive Highway 1 at irresponsible speeds! Surely there won't be a whole bunch of touri-
>it's jam packed with Mustang's doing 30 under the limit anyway
Man you guys fucking blow.

PS, the california central valley is a shithole and the I5 is west texas levels of fucking empty. Unless you want to live out some Australian Outback mad max thing you should avoid it and take the 101. Just stay off muh big sur.

>I5 is west texas levels of fucking empty
I-5 is the main north-south freeway between canada, washington, oregon, and southern california. So it is sort of meant to be fast until you reach the southern central california area. Freeway planning means the design of freeways such that commercial trucking is able to utilize the roads without gridlock until they enter the urban freeway system. I-5 was not meant to be part of the urban set although cities like portland and seattle use it as part of DD, but they pay extra taxes for that purpose. And seattle has no choice since it is cockblocked from having more north/south freeways by ocean, water, lake, and mountains.

OP will simply branch off I-5 for a dose of tourist traps. Oregon is remarkably boring and many of the tourist sites are hyped up in order to get visitors to end up staying at highly taxed motels or B&B. I found that the case driving up from San Diego to Seattle. Oregon felt like a tourist desert.

But surely, if OP is driving by, he should not miss stopping at both Disneyland and DisneyWorld. And if OP is a university graduate, he might contact his alumni office about an alumni parking pass if he wants to re-visit his campus again to see how it changed since he was last there. Even if he wasn't a student, some campuses are especially notable as campus parks.

Another thing is that OP should pay attention to various events so that he can attend some. I don't mean things like that motorcycle meetup in the dakotas or wherever it is, or some national miata Meetup, but rather those official events industry or business have for the public. It's too bad CES isn't open to the public anymore, but I'm not suggesting OP set CES 2017 as a destination event. But he should check convention event calendars.

popsci.com/what-is-ces-and-how-do-i-attend

theverge.com/2014/1/9/5286380/this-is-the-real-ces

>tfw just finished driving from west Michigan to Dallas and back in this beast

Really you don't need a camper, a topper on an 8' bed will do. Just put some thick blankets on the floor for padding and bring good sleeping bags because it WILL get cold no matter where or when you go

Honesly if you are trying to cruise fast, you would probably be better with an older BMW 5 Series or even a 3 Series. I mean those old 'Murrican V6 and V8 engines are sturdy for the most part but they aren't the greatest if you want to cruise at 90mph through North Dakota unless you do a bunch of suspension work first.

If you want to cruise at 55mph, go with the 15+ year old 'Murrican car if you like it.

If he parks in some isolated place, the dindu could jack him.

>buying a beaten and abused 15 year old mustang for long distance driving

The car you're looking at is a terrible choice. For your price range, I promise you that you WILL have issues and it WILL ruin your trip.

I agree with the other people in the thread that a V8 is the way to do this trip, but you need to look at older cars.

Since you suggested a Mustang, I'd point to the older Fox bodies as they tend to be equivalently priced, but better maintained.

Personally, I suggest a truck. An older F-150 or Ram 1500 is a much safer bet.

Just keep in mind that V8s will universally be more abused than smaller displacement cars. You don't want to cut your trip a quarter of the way because you have a massive mechanical failure.

stop being a little bitch and man up life is full of challenges stop sticking your head in the dirt and hiding from experiences

nah, dindus never stray too far from their urban habitat, also, this is America, if you're that scared of getting jacked just get a gun

New York/Jersey is an absolute nightmare traffic wise. One time I went to New York and was taking I95 through Jersey. Out of fucking nowhere tons of cops appeared and blocked the road off at ever single exit. I95 was completely shut down. From one end to the other. After sitting on a frontage road for two hours I found a hotel and spent the night. Next day I saw on the news that an empty box truck flipped over on an off-ramp and some fuel spilled out of one of its tanks.

The complete length of I95 in Jersey was shut down because of a bit of fuel that wasnt even on the interstate.

BosWash should be avoided by all means possible. If you want to go there fly and then take the train.

>wanting to go to any of those except maybe Maine and Denver

What the fuck dude, it's like you hate yourself

>man up life is full of challenges
There has to be a reward for the challenge such as self-improvement. Otherwise it is not a challenge but unnecessary expense or avoidable danger. Life is full of those "LOL look at stupid person" stories. No need for OP to be one of those stories especially since he is new to driving this way.

sounds to me like you are a massive pussy who doesnt know how to account for traffic

i bet you voted trump and make minimum wage

fite me faget irl

This

>let me account for a fucking truck flipping over and spilling fuel everywhere
You fucking faggot

This guy did a road trip across 48 states in a first gen Boxster. I kinda want to do the same one day

boxsterroadtrip.com/

>bus rider detected

I've driven around the country multiple times (both for work and pleasure)-- Not sure where you are starting from, but do a path more like this. Also get a convertible... driving around the country is pretty much the only time it makes sense to have one.

I'm in Pittsburgh, he's driving THROUGH America, Pitt is the kind of place you need to spend a few days and chill out.

Cleveland a shit, Ohio is a forsaken land.

new york city to pittsburg to cleveland to chicago is an awsome trip

stop spewing hate

I had an 02 v8 mustang. They are nice but when shit goes south it goes fucking SOUTH. Something will go wrong and you'll be trapped in the middle of nowhere Arizona by fucking knife city. Go for a Toyota, either a Tacoma if you can get it since they will NEVER quit on you (it's what I used for my East coast to West coast trips 10/10 no problem ever) or something like a 4runner. Dependable, not too hard to work on, and enough room to keep your shit like supplies/clothes/big knife/blowupdoll

In the summer time, there isn't much of anything in arizona or new mexico due to the heat even at night. There are some car museums in Phoenix though and northern arizona has that giant meteor crater.

Sounds fun opie.

This, stupid nigger

If you go through Arizona make sure to check out Sedona.

>If you go through Arizona make sure to check out Sedona.

Not much in that town other than they required the one McDonalds to not have an ostentatious trademark logo such as the Golden Arches. So McDonalds used Teal Green.

roadsideamerica.com/tip/6241

Instead of Sedona, it would have been better to spend more time at the city south of it known as Phoenix. There's a restaurant in Phoenix serving desert fare such as rattlesnake. Amusingly, there's a small incorporated city next to Phoenix full of mexicans and it was created as a sanctuary for illegal immigrants to hide. As such, the city prohibits all cameras, filming, patrolling by outsiders, driving around by outsiders, looking around, etc, and will arrest you for it if they can cobble up the legal reasons. When I was in phoenix due to a business trip, I stopped at the mexican bakery there since they had great quality mexican bakery goods and even had lard ingredients for that authentic mouth feel.

That's a decent starting point, but he skips a lot of landmarks worth seeing, and roads worth driving. Just tagging every state is kinda lame.

YOU WILL FUCKING DIE IF YOU DO THIS IN A NEW EDGE
The seats are awful bro. Possibly the worst I've ever sat in.

>Great city for literally everything but driving.
more like great for literally nothing

t. Upstater

Drove my GT across country, loved the experience and memories on the road. If you have time to stop by some cities get to know some of the local places, the local people around are different in every city. It can be a cool experience

The point of the trip is to see America in a fast, loud American car. Because America. So if you can recommend a more comfortable or reliable car without giving up the muscle I'm all ears.

The route's not definitive, just an idea. I've seen every state in the northeast already. The goal is to see the south, the mountains, and the west coast while hitting small towns and important landmarks on the way (Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, etc)

I'll stay in some motels or Airbnb here and there but I have lots of family and friends spread out across the country too.

I'll probably end up putting 10,000 miles on the car before selling it. Willing to spend a bit more for a newer car that might hold its value better, what would you suggest?

American design or American made?

Because the new edge mustangs are hecho en mexico.

The bluffs and buttes and shit in the scottsbluff/torington area are great.

Maine for the sunsets and lobsters, boi.

What is your goal, scenic stuff like National Parks, or cities? Because if you want parks, skip Kansas and Oklahoma, go through Texas, into New Mexico and see the Carlsbad Caverns and then go up into Colorado then into Utah. I live in Kansas, it's fucking ass. I've been from here to San Diego, California on I-70, and I-15 then to South Dakota, then to the southern border of Texas near New Mexico and into New Mexico for the caverns. I've also driven to and from upstate New York a few times. I drive a 95 Bronco with a 351 Windsor, it's got 291,xxx miles and it runs okay, needs massive amounts of work, but it works. I'm taking it to Wyoming in March over spring break. (in college for aeronautic engineering).

TL;DR Skip Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Arizona. As long as you have the money, the mustang will be great, but make sure it's ready for that kind of thing.

Pic related is a stock 2003 GT with 33000 miles, fully loaded. They're asking $9,000 would Veeky Forums buy?

The goal is to see as much as possible, including cities, small towns, and some wilderness. I plan on taking the occasional scenic state/county roads.

I'm trying to break the monotony of my life, reflect and figure some shit out. This has been a dream since I was a kid. I have a shitload of vacation days and money put away, now's the time.

Why do people dislike new edge mustangs so much? I've always thought they looked pretty alright

I saw a 2017 'stang while I was out shopping today.

Thought it was a 240sx until I got a good look at the ass end. Not precisely a bad thing. The car was black, and it was getting dark, it all kind of looked like the 240's hatch until I drove by on the way out of the parking lot.

I'd try and get a

I prefer the new edge over the 05 styling. It's just a styling as the two generations are extremely similar.

>I want to spend 4-6 weeks driving cross country this summer.
You are circumnavigating the country. So divide your time in half for each half of the trip. That means 2 weeks to cross west, 2 days to go south, 2 weeks to cross east, and 2.5 days to go north back to your new york.

In those 5 weeks, you will have seen very little of the country as all your time was spent inside the car. INSIDE the car. You would spend more time seeing the country if you stayed at home and watched travel TV shows. How much new knowledge did you get from your drive? Very little. How many people did you interact with in a fun time? Not many.

The math I did was based on 10000 miles driving about 4 hours a day. That's how I arrived at 4-6 weeks

wowo 90MPH driving speed on the whole trip is pushing it for a beater car with beater tires? will you survive?

Will AirBnB housing be cheaper than motels? OP probably isn't raising up a sweat, so along the way, he can simply wash his hair every day and have a motel for showers every 2 days.

I like the new ones. Mustangs between 1973 and 2004 are hideous though.

Averaging 4 hours a day at 65 MPH = 260 miles a day
10,000 miles/260 = 38.46 days or 5.49 weeks

I'd say 4 hours a day is very doable while still stopping to smell the roses and get lunch in random small towns.

I'm here for advice and appreciate the feedback

Will you be blogging about your trip each day on Veeky Forums??? It would definitely be original content. Or will you put something up on blogspot?

I'll be posting here and on /trv/ but mostly on my Wordpress. Stay tuned OP will absolutely deliver

It should be easy enough to visit the public library in each area and ask the librarian if there is a local website describing local places to visit as well as other tourism activities since you are visiting the area. The librarian should be willing to help you find such sites.