How do turbos handle for long stretches of high speed highway driving...

how do turbos handle for long stretches of high speed highway driving? say 8 hours at 80-10mph only stopping for fill ups and piss breaks.

do they overheat little 4 bangers?

Thats an alternator

Holding your shitbox at highway speed will not generate enough load for the engine for the turbo to spool up.

They do alright in endurance races.

How's your first day on Veeky Forums been so far?

>meanwhile an evo is constantly at 4k rpm just to highway cruise

Just because it is high in the RPMS does not mean that the turbo is making max boost or any boost at all.

A good turbo with and a proper installation should be fine.

They run turbos on semis user.

>what is duty cycle for 500

My 4th gen SHO handled it just fine, coming west through Montana. Set cruise at 90.

No problems.

this is the kind of operation they love best, cruising on the highway at less than 50% throttle
just make sure when you take your piss/gas stops that you let the car idle for a minute or two to let oil and coolant flow through it a little so you're not shutting off a red-hot turbo and then starting it 10 minutes later
>source: my owners manual
they do overheat, but i'd worry more about that when airflow isn't as optimum as a highway

This. My owners manual also states before turning off to let it cool down for a minute

ITT -plebs who have no idea how turbos work

RPM only dictates how easy it is to make boost. Throttle decides how much air goes in and gets compressed.

i really dont get this meme
if ur turbo is running, lets say at 100°C on the highway
then you turn your engine off and it starts cooling down from 100 degrees
but isnt it than in abetter state if than keep driving fast?
i get it that with turned on engine it cools faster
but it doesnt get hotter than it is already?
if yes how?

has the oil been changed recently?
turbos love clean synthetic
if you're putting more than 1k miles on it in a week consider a preemptive oil change before you leave

that is an alternator but some guy got a tattoo of an alternator thinking it was a turbo

Two things kill turbos:

>oil starvation
>overspeeding

Turbos on big articulated trucks and busses run at full boost for 100s of thousands of miles.

Most trucks use journal bearinged turbos which provided they don't get starved of oil can run at full boost for hours on end.

>turbo
>100 degrees

Try closer to 1000 user. The issue is heat soak and as the oil is no longer flowing through the turbo it will turn to coke; a carbonised sludge.

at 100mph your engine might be making 100hp.
if that's enough to cause it to assplode then nothing of value was lost

>this post

r u a engineer?

how cud u tel?

If it stays hotter longer without fresh oil flow it can coke the oil in the bearings up, resulting in dry starts which wears it out the moving parts faster and can even warp impellers and bearing surfaces
the cool down is only recommended for after highway or hard driving
if i'm driving around for a few (5+) minutes under 2k RPMs after getting off the highway i don't let it cool down, it's already cool enough

I drove halfway across the country in my fiesta st going 80 most of the way without any problems.

I would drive about 12 hours at a time too. The only time it started getting a little hot is when I drove through arizona/nevada. It was over 100 degrees, the car was loaded up, and I was driving up an incline. Still got nowhere near overheating.

turbines are actually designed to operate at steady state. spooling up and down is what causes them to break.

aaaaaaaaaaahhh
now i get it

>if i'm driving around for a few (5+) minutes under 2k RPMs after getting off the highway i don't let it cool down, it's already cool enough

i got a biturbe diesel, highway cruising is at 2k-2,5k rpm
what about this?

it depends on throttle, not just rpm

>Falling for the short gearing and no torque meme

Just don't spank it cold and drive low load for five minutes before you arrive

turbos can handle sustained temperatures for long periods of time. in fact i used to rebuild diesel engines that ran water pumps and generators that ran 24/7 for months on end at full load. The only reason we replaced turbo's was because they either started leaking or the air filter failed and destroyed the impeller( and the rest of the engine).

Turbos are very simple devices, a spinning fan that floats on oil. the oil cools and lubricates the turbine/impeller. Even though the average cruising temp of the exhaust on a diesel is around 5-600 and upwards of 1000 at full load the impeller is cooled fast enough to keep it below its ductility threshold.

i would be much less worried about the turbo than the engine itself. the turbo will probably outlast the motor as long as its well cared for and a quality piece.

Just got a new car, first with atarbo, smokes a bit at the tailpipe when cold but it goes away. Should i worry? Mind you the weather is around 30F. I think I'm okay but still a bit worried tbqh

Further explain? I mean it's spinning 4000 times per minute. Surely that extra heat and wear can't be good

W E W
E
W

>extra heat
Nope

i mean, the turbo isn't going to produce boost (or not much at least) without some load, so it's not going to be very hot.

then again, i'm not an expert so feel free to ignore me

Yes, and semis cruise at high throttle and are usually on boost.

yeah, that

wtf are you talking about the engine or the turbo? The engine won't really wear much faster at 4000 rpm (at 25% throttle), then it will at 2000 rpm (at 25% throttle), and won't be any hotter. The cooling system is closed loop and maintains a relatively constant temp (unless you drive a 370z or corvette...). Even at 6000 rpm, the turbo won't be spooling if the throttle plate is closed.

You're correct. The other guy's an idiot.
If it's not under any load, it's just free spinning. That's not going to make a measurable difference when taking EGT into account.

They're fine. Intercoolers are there for a reason and do their job perfectly.

t. 4 banger turbo driver who drives roughly 12h with only piss and lunch breaks every half year.

Why are turbo timers a thing? Why do industrial engines idle down too cool off before they shut off?

Already been answered

Your owners manuals are wrong for anything remotely modern. To keep from cooking engine oil and to avoid big thermal shocks you should stay off boost at least 5 minutes before shutdown while driving. Emphasis on while driving because most cooling comes from moving air. Idle will not help because you aren't really cooling down the oil. The only time that advice makes sense is when you drive the car hard and stay on boost but suddenly stop driving. If you immediately shut down the engine then yes the turbo will cook the oil.

Basically that advice is pointless as long as you take the time to drive carefully before shutdown. Then no turbo timer/idle is needed. If you keep load low there won't be enough exhaust gas to spool the turbo and it will stay in vacuum and stay cool.

>he believes a certain driving style is achievable in all conditions
>he thinks coking is just a stupid way to spell cooking
wew lad

I'm aware of what oil coking is. And it's absolutely possible to stay off boost during cruise conditions unless you're driving a 1L shitbox.

Even then, it's not hard to avoid overly loading a 1L shitbox. The guy you're responding to is just a nimrod.

>stay off boost
stop, my sides
>you wanna do some marijuana guys?

>acts like an authority on turbo 1L shitboxes
please renew your bus pass