Will automakers attempt hydrogen ICE engines again when fossil fuels become outlawed...

Will automakers attempt hydrogen ICE engines again when fossil fuels become outlawed? They can have the same fun and feels of gasoline engines, but with zero emissions.

>hydrogen lacks energy density

Can be solved through sheer displacement. It doesn't matter if your engine is a 1L 3-cyl or a 10L V8, it's making zero emissions all the same.

Other urls found in this thread:

carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/mazda/mazda-rx-8-hydrogen-re-2007-review/
youtube.com/watch?v=oOUjqxec4bA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

we need a 3 rotor diesel engine that can run on corn oil first

It doesn't matter if you fuel a ICE with unicorn cum, it's still inefficient as shit. ICE's are literally a bunch of metal scraping together.

Also most places would need fossil fuels to produce Hydrogen, soooo yeah it's retarded.

Not until we master fusion power.

>not using fuel cells via water
K then

Fusion power would be literally no different from driving a Tesla, except the car would weigh 15 tons, start 5 million $ and have well over 100,000 HP.

Read up on that car user (I'm too lazy to post all of it's shortcomings)
Needless to say it was fucking shit.

Fuel cells would make sense if they weren't 3000lbs and putting out 5kw. Also most states and cities need their water shipped in. Using drinking water for "fuel" is pretty fucking stupid.

Where does the premix oil tank go?

>Not living near the ocean
What are you? Gay?

the only thing keeping hydrogen off the road is storage and safety. the tanks you need for these things are crazy and kind of dangerous.

Some of the warehouses here use Hydrogen forklifts. It feels a little sketchy standing beside 10 000 psi of flammable gas but you get used to it. The stickers on them pretty much say "run away" if you hear a loud hissing noise, eek.

If they can solve the problem of how to safely store enough hydrogen to go a few hundred miles without needing to refuel, then they might. Even then, if you get in a collision you're shit's gonna explode.

You need electricity, not fossil fuel. Hydro, wind, solar, etc.

67% of the US's electricity comes from fossil fuels. Not many places have the rivers needed for hydro and wind and solar are memes.

>costs as much as a bugatti
>but has more than 50x the power so the truck weight feels like fucking nothing

sold

The only real problem about hydrogen is storage.
Tanks need to be pretty fucking sturdy (either by being heavy as fuck or being made of expensive composite materials), the gas being stored is extremely volatile and flammable and the pressures involved are several orders of magnitude higher than the most conventional automotive gases used today (CNG and LPG).

This contributes to the perceived dangerousness of driving hydrogen powered cars and it's the main reason why this kind of propulsion will never really become popular.

Also almost everyone is dumping billions in automotive electric technology and this says a lot about the direction the market is taking.

Isn't Toyota the only one with a working hydrogen vehicle? How did it sell?

I think hydrogen is gonna be the way of the future someday.
Electric cars are a meme, People are gonna be like "member those electric cars back in the 2010s and 20s?"

>They can have the same fun and feels of gasoline engines
>same fun and feels of gasoline engines
>same fun and feels
>same

'no'

carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/mazda/mazda-rx-8-hydrogen-re-2007-review/

>Despite its volatility, hydrogen releases less energy at equivalent volumes than petrol because it has a lower density than petrol. This impacts on performance – power drops from 192bhp (in the low-power petrol version) to 107bhp, while torque drops from 162lb ft to 103lb ft.

>The hydrogen is stored in liquid form at a very high 350bar pressure, in a 24 gallon tubular aluminium and carbonfibre tank. Which unfortunately takes up the entire boot, and you only get a 60-mile range out of it, too.

>The RX-8 RE is a lot like an RX-8, but slower, less practical and it needs filling up twice a day.

Honda also.

Anyway, I would love to see what happens to an hydrogen car in a really bad crash, tank being compromised and all.

Not much, just like you don't see CNG/LPG powered cars burning to the ground from the tank cracking when they crash.
Tanks are extremely safe under most circumstances (direct hits, chemical corrosion, exposure to fire, etc)

Autogas is stored at 3600psi.
The Honda Clarity uses two 5000psi tanks, the Toyota Mirai uses a single 10,000psi tank

So you can expect the tanks to be pretty fucking durable if they have to hold extremely flammable gas at that pressure.

Considering how very safe CNG/LPG tanks already are, I'm quite confident they can make the same, if not better, with hydrogen tanks once you start adding composite materials to the mix.

I thought it used two

Man, I want a 10,000 psi tank for my airguns. That's the kind of pressure shotguns operate.

Hydrogen is LITERALLY liquefied autism

>when fossile fuesl become outlawed

thats a pretty big assumption dude

>exposed metal fuel line near the wheel
And I thought my return line spraying fuel all over my rear axle and exhaust was bad. I can't wait for the explosions when people on the east coast let these things rust to shit.

nice trips

USA will continue sucking oil out of every other country, be the first developed country to outlaw fossile fuels due to new technology then sell it's domestically produced oil to shithole countries at an exorbitant rate.

We're going to be sultans in 50 years.

WE

>WE
THE PEOPLE

youtube.com/watch?v=oOUjqxec4bA

Say what you will but they seem to be well made af.

>hydrogen rotary engine
yes pls

Batteries suck at supplying and storing a large amount of electricity.

We're going to keep using ICEs, but we're going to run them off pure alcohol fuels. You know, because not only can we recycle random organic waste into fuel, but we can now make it from atmospheric carbon dioxide. It's cheap and it requires very little extra engineering. There is no way we're not doing this unless the government forces us to rent electric cars and swap vehicles or batteries to get around charging times and battery degradation.

Bmw and many other car makers have already brought hydrogen ices to market.

The problem with them is the same problem as electrics, the infrastructure isn't there.

>We're going to keep using ICEs, but we're going to run them off pure alcohol fuels
now this I could get behind

shame about older carbed vehicles, but eh, we can make it work with enough stabil

What is that supposed to prove? I skipped to the part where they install the tanks and lines and it's still raw metal hardware like I said. Unless it's a rustproof alloy, it's gonna fucking rust. Are all their lines stainless? Nobody says so in that video. So what if it's well made? Even olympic athletes get cancer. Show me a test where they bathe it in brine for months and it comes out unscathed.