>Previously on /dbt/

Other urls found in this thread:

sportbiketrackgear.com/scorpion-sj2-leather-jacket/
youtube.com/watch?v=86sS0s041qk
youtube.com/watch?v=eVtUlzoeXzY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

honda a shit

You're all faggots

Anyone have a rough idea of what I should be spending on gear as a new rider poorfag? Here's my personal rough breakdown, but not sure how good it is:

Helmet: $150

Jacket: $300

Pants: $120

Gloves: $60

Boots: $200

Total: $830

Keeping an eye on craigslist for stuff I can get used, but those are my "new" prices. Am I over/under spending anywhere?

well if he's running his street tyres at 24 fucking psi for some extra grip then leaning barely at all it's a bloody waste isn't it? a bike with 43 hp doesn't need extra drive in a straight line, motards just wheelie anyway.

>Helmet: $150

you will probably hate this helmet for this price, maybe not, some people do some people don't. I wish I'd never bought cheaper helmets and just bought a shoei or arai or equivalent on day one, but I can see now wanting to drop that kind of money on a first helmet.

Just make sure all your gear fits well, try it on, do not buy sight unseen, get full length boots do not settle for anything less, and try and get as much leather and CE armour as possible.

If you have ANY doubts about the fit or a piece of gear do not buy it, we've all regretted a gear purchase in the past.

>Godbike
>4Stroke
Nice meme, pick one

Buy closeout new gear if you can.
Also in my experience it's worth it to spend a bit more on gloves. I bought some $80 leather gloves and they started tearing and popping seams withing a few months, then were basically falling apart within a year.

However prices don't directly translate to better quality or protection so you can't accurately measure by that.

This jacket has excellent reviews and is cheap af. I would buy one myself if I wasn't a poorfag or didn't already have a leather jacket.
sportbiketrackgear.com/scorpion-sj2-leather-jacket/

I'd probably spend less on a jacket and more on a helmet and gloves. you're gonna want a tinted visor, and nice gloves that fit well are important to protect your hands and also have a comfortable fit on the bars

Yeah, although I'm planning on buying most stuff from Revzilla because no sales tax, I'm planning on trying everything at my local shop.

For boots, I was planning on Alpinestar SMX5 or SMX6, but I've seen some reviews that describe them as sport boots for "spirited/track riding". They're not overkill for general commuting are they?

>tfw I want a full exhaust but $900 jesus christ

Can someone explain to me how kitkat has not killed himself yet?

i pick this one

his sister gives him good head and that keeps him goin

Fair price? I've been looking for one of these for a minute now.

well i wouldn't wear them to work or walk around in them for too long. you can get decent looking moto boots that are normal enough with good protection, just dont get the cortechs, they will fall apart

what's up with the single headlights?

>full exhaust
>$900
Shit user do it, full systems for my bike are $1500 minimum, Akra is over $2k.

not at all, they're quite floppy and comfortable, they're nowhere near actual track boots.

Oldschool endurance bike look

It's an M4

GSX-S1000, no full exhaust sold anywhere in the US besides M4

>alpinestars SMX
>nowhere near track boots
u wot m8

>trade for Grom

they're not really, they're not all that stiff, don't have that tighter inner sole with ankle protection or a hinge of some type, not that well ventilated in comparison to track boots.

I guess you could say they're "sporty" but they're nowhere near track boots.

>Helmet
If it has DOT and ECE 22.05, every buck past $100 you're paying for features, not protection. Check S.H.A.R.P., pick 4- and 5-star helmets, order from cheapest up.

>Jacket
A $100 textile jacket is good enough outside of track. Elbow, shoulder and back(!) protectors are a must, a smart thing to do is buy aftermarket protectors that fit the jacket, always almost better than the original ones.

>Pants
Same as above. Textile is enough, knee pads a must, hip pads a plus.

>Gloves
Leather with joint and palm(!) armor. Alpinestars has the nice "pinky-bridge" that may or may not protect your pinky in a crash. $50-$100 depending on preferences and local availability, Alpinestars SP-8 is a great glove for summer / warm climate use.

>Boots
$100 and up. Ankle protection is a must. If the basics are covered all extra dosh is features and comfort, not protection. Read user reviews. TCX is a great brand and not expensive.

You can buy everything other than helmets used without compromising your safety.

They aren't high end track boots but the SMX series is one of the most popular boots at the average track day...

There is always something.
Because of how good the protection for your ankles is on MX boots they can actually snap your knees for an example.

i'd agree with this. most of this will be protective enough for an accident, while the main compromise will be style and comfort. cheaper products are likely ugly and heavy.

or i guess the SMX plus is the version most people have at the track. i wear SMX but i think they're kinda old

>order from cheapest up.

absolutely don't do this, go to a store and try them on, and buy the one that fits you best. the safest helmet won't do shit if it doesn't fit right. wear it for at least 5-10 mins around the store to make sure it's a good fit.

100% this
A cheap helmet can offer better protection than the most highly rated and expensive helmet if it fits your head better.

I know, I have a pair and I wear them to the track. They're not really track boots though, they're just sort of all rounders with a "sporty" leaning to them. The SMX-5 in particular I'm referring to.

You can do anything in them, including walk around shopping centers and doing the daily routine and such but they're not as safe focused as real track boots. Ideally you'd want both, SMX-5/6 for just chilling and general riding and some supertechs or whatever for track days and twisties runs.

yeah but even track road boots aren't as stiff as MX boots.

i dont know exactly what SMX version i have, but i never wear them around town, only wear them on track. they are pretty stiff and clunky

"Order" as in "order the list on the SHARP website from cheapest to most expensive after only selecting 4- and 5-star helmets". Not "order" as in "order online". I would never order helmets online without trying.

why don't you look down to your feet and let me know, if it's SMX plus that'd make sense because they're hinged. SMX-5 is basically sporty touring boots.

has /dbt/ ever had a touge battle?

not really, road is for fun not for battle, not safe to overtake and what not, just let the faster rider go in front.

Had some dogfights on track days though.

well im not wearing them right now otherwise i would

but they have ratcheting side straps, lower zipper, and a drawstring. they squeak when you walk.

youtube.com/watch?v=86sS0s041qk

a few, best was with a ve hsv gts

this is the state all those people on /dbt/ claim they'd rather die than live in?

sour grapes m8

California honestly wouldn't be all that bad if it weren't so fucking expensive.

Other than that it's fine. Everyone whines about the politicians but realistically they don't have much bearing on actual day-to-day life.

who remembers this?

youtube.com/watch?v=eVtUlzoeXzY

siq vid thx breh

I had a sex battle with ur mum last night fagget!

yes, I had the number 21 on my childhood dirtbike as a reference to this.

>no cute motosis to fug

you're a transexual?

no but I am a homo

I was planning on moving out of California ASAP until I started riding. Now I don't know what to do. Be poor and enjoy the best motorcycle riding in the country, or have money with slightly worse riding elsewhere.

kys fagget

there are also a lot of racetracks in CA

Are you sure you will do better financially elsewhere?

for someone in cali, almost any other state sucks and is cheap as fuck and you will live like a king

rewatching this and noticing its so mysoginistic, ugh

IF you can somehow keep your income up to Cali standards.

>for someone in cali, almost any other state sucks
Is having freedom really too hard to cope with?

>freedom
>cant lanesplit
lol

they're phaggots who like city life

plus the weather and the mountains are great--there are free states that can compete on those grounds, but you have to look for them

plus like hints at geographical variation in nominal wages > geographical variation in real wages

>geographical variation in nominal wages > geographical variation in real wages
which is actually good for people moving out of california and taking a pay cut. but the point is, you will most likely take at least a nominal pay cut, especially if you're leaving the Bay, LA, or SD.

True. Plus, in CA, unlike every other state I've lived in, the whole town doesn't have it's nose in everyone elses' business.

The price of housing varies with location. The price of food too, but not so much. The price of a new motorcycle, or computer or phone is the same everywhere. Amazon doesn't care where you live.

Enjoy your poverty shoes, friends.

/dbt/ Help me.

I like super motos, I like the light weight, I like the mid size engines, I like the option to put knobbys on and go off road, I however haven't seen a single one that isn't completely hideous. Like fucking obese mosquitoes with wheels. Are there any not ugly super motos/enduros/etc made more recently than 1977?

Kneel before godbike.

>price of a new motorcycle
>new

well there's your problem

(and yes, prices in used markets are higher in higher nominal cost areas, though maybe not enough to make up for higher wages. dunno.)

what about a SL1000 Falco, user ? it's reliable as fuck, the V990 engine is fantastic, and it's original !
(the TL1000S is not common too, thought)

>tfw met up with random squids at local bike meeting place
>squidded around town
>had fun

Sometimes it's fun to be a hooligan /dbt/
Webm related, me showing I haven't learned a thing since my wreck

Will probably be buying first bike soon. Would I be a retard for getting a 1980 Yamaha SR250 and eventually slowly making a little cafe racer out of it once I move up to something else, or should I just go for a Ninja 250?

Or something else entirely?

That ugly beak, headlamp, terrible proportions... I could never own that.

wr user do you play rs?

>and eventually slowly making a little cafe racer out of it

Don't get an 80s bike, man. I'd look around for a cheap mid 90s to early 2000s jap standard to start out on

Not seeing any wheelies there senpai

only pussies go that small. 600 or better. get yourself a nice zx-10r or a ducati 821 all the way up to 1299 panigale.

Eh, I like the look and mentality behind them, and it would be fun to have a personal project like that. Probably just a pipe dream though.

Yeah, the rational part of me is saying that. I've been wanting to go up the sportbike chain so I know I should go with the safe bet and just get a ninja or something; I'm just always the type to get excited over random, less-than-practical ideas, but never really end up acting on them.

k

Just be sure to always have your gopro on so when one of you does something stupid, we can get it on youtube and maybe you'll make one of those compilations

DBT hates cafe racers, because hipster cuck cafe owners actually have sex on occasion. With women.

For a first bike, I would suggest something with radial tires EXCEPT the Yamaha SR bikes are super sweet, so you get a pass.

>pipe dream
DB, where dreams are crushed everyday.

>With women.
ewwww

women are gross, I prefer traps

t. café racer owner

Case in point

I suppose I can understand the stereotype. I just like them because I like the minimalist styling and the personalized aspect of it, of making something uniquely yours with your own two hands.

what colour should I get lads? can't decide

for reference I'll be commuting into uni in london

I was thinking of getting a lego man visor so yellow would go well with that

that's not the ninja 300 we told you to buy instead.

but its £1500 more

So buy the SR250 (I take it you already have one available?) and start modding, but also get a 90's something to actually ride around.

The secret to successful building is to control costs of the donor bike and parts, for example, a $300 runner and $100 parts bike is a great combo.

Also, building a cafe (or a chopper, or tracker, etc) is much more fun if taking it apart means not riding until it's back together.

well don't buy new then.

Get a second hand 250 or 300, simples.

>best state
>best riding
You mean Florida?
Friendly drivers and curves as far as the eye can see

im talking second hand. at new the price difference is £3000

tfw rust innatank

got a POR-15 kit, should I double up on rust remover like that one guy on svrider forums?

also, do I need to get a heat gun or hairdryer that I'll never use again, or will a compressor be enough for the blow-drying?

There's one for sale near enough to me, yes, but I'm not too sure on the asking price for what it is. Honestly I've already had my endorsement for months now without a bike, and even if I really can't ride much until warmer weather, I'll probably do the smart thing and get something that I can reliably ride (and can take on the highway if need be) and put the cafe racer thing on the back burner.

>curves
that's not what I hear. and not what I would expect, given how flat florida is

Oh and I'm only looking for the ABS versions because I'm a pussy.

gaaaaaaaaay

it's really not that hard to learn to brake, just set up and progressively squeeze.

ABS is really not a big deal.

might be hard to find one, but could save ya. nice to have a safety net

No.

Use a phosphoric acid preporation like pic related. The phosphoric acid converts the rust into an inert layer of ferric phosphate. The home depot stuff also contains chelating agents and detergents. It's the same formula as "naval jelly" just not in a gel.

After you treat the inside of the tank, put one of those cheap see-through fuel filters in line to the carbs, and enjoy your bike.