Hey Veeky Forums, I ship out to the Navy Tuesday and I wanted to ask something

Hey Veeky Forums, I ship out to the Navy Tuesday and I wanted to ask something.

After basic and schooling for my job, I want to try and get stationed in Japan for some years (not a weeb, I just really want to see the country side and get away from America for a few years then go back) and I wanted to know if the 2016 Camaro SS is legal in Japan. I was reading about importing into Japan and looking up specific cars and it seems Japan has a fuck ton of laws around vehicles. I'm trying to find out if the Camaro SS would pass emission standards but I can't find anything on it.

Anyone here living in Japan think a big ass American V8 would pass Japanese emission laws?

What MEPS are you going through?

The Japanese already find American service members obnoxious, don't drive that monstrosity around their streets like some ignorant asshole making us look worse. Besides you won't get it out much when the base has to get shutdown every weekend because another Marine raped a Japanese girl.

It won't be my daily. I just want to buy it early so I can get it out of the way. My daily has always been my CBR.

Spend your time there waiting for the Z28

>Navy
>Japan
Pray for Atsugi or Okinawa. Yokosuka has a rule where you have to be E5 before you can own a car.

>Import a Camaro
Not worth it, as you're going to have to buy a US spec one, have the Navy ship it for you, then spend roughly $5000 for the testing and conversion to have the car be legal under Japanese laws.

If by some reason you get here (you probably won't) just buy a 23 year old sports car (Silvia, Skyline, JZX90, etc.) and have it imported to the US when you leave so you can sell it for profit and buy your boring ass Camaro like every other newb idiot military member who gets their hands on a steady paycheck and gets scammed into a ~15% APR loan.

This nigger gets it.

7 years in, 3 years spent in Japan

Save your fucking money.
Since you're enlisted you'll probably have more DUIs than a box of Alpha-bits.

This.

Just get a skyline like every other E-3 in Sasebo

Kek the loan thing. The air Force actually devotes class time during basic to tell your dumbass to not trust mr.goldsteins car lot and to wait to buy a car

Listen to this man.

based welfare queen

Army did too. It was promptly ignored.

>"LOL can't turn"

Top kek

And they still don't listen.

dont be like every enlisted retard and spend your enlisting cash/bonus on a camaro/challenger/mustang or big ass truck

buy a house or save your shit and invest it in something or when you get out have something to land on

mfw every retard does this

I'm glad I already had a Montero XLS I picked up for a grand before I joined. Super cheap to insure and reliable. Now I get to invest my welfare bucks into my TSP, and my other hobbies. Not dumping it all into paying off the car/paying for the yuuge insurance.

What about buying a new motorcycle? I'm thinking about picking up the newest CBR1000RR and selling mine that I have now. I can always wait awhile on a cool car I have no problem with that. I just want to get that one want in my life out of the way as fast as possible. I'm not irresponsible with my money, I planned to save for a good 4 years or so and take all the advantages I can to save money. Helps that I don't drink or go out to eat.

>I want to go out and buy a brand new Camaro SS on E2/E3 pay
>I'm not irresponsible with my money
pick one.

buy a shitbox and save. then decide if you want to stay in the military or not. if you do, great, go get yourself that brand new Camaro. If not, you have a nest egg to have in case you can't find work or whatever when you separate.

Wouldn't insurance on that rape the shit out of you?

Insurance is cheap on motorcycles believe it or not.

Whats your Rate.

If you really wanted to go to japan you should have joined the Marines.

Semi-related question. What kind of storage options exist for your car when you go on deployment?

In a few months I'll be going underway in a sub. I'd rather have someone drive my car once a week or so, instead of just leaving it in a garage to collect dust and dry out.

big cars in japan arent the done thing thats why so many are for sale and imported out.
most american cars there are the "poverty pack" (lowest specs) buy a KEI car and save your money.

being armed forces means you can buy new and get a discount on US soil. buying a foreign car into japan is a dumb idea. because then you will have to either resell the car before you leave or take it with you and more money leaves your wallet.

Marines are retards.
>
OP, you really should join the Marines.

>the yuuge insurance
That's what got me.

I found a Civic Si at a great price, picked it up, and just about fainted when USAA told me that I would be paying 250/mo just to insure the pig.
The car itself isn't incredibly fast, but ricebois stick an ebay turbo on it and make 400 WHP, and promptly understeer into a tree.

Learned my lesson with the insurance jew, gonna be selling it once the weather warms up.

>Since you're enlisted you'll probably have more DUIs than a box of Alpha-bits.

Hey hey we're not all retarde-
>navy
Never mind.

I wish progressive is semi fucking me on my bike

>he thinks okinawa is japan

What rate?
I got out in 2012

People actually rape in the marines?

they do sell these in japan......... try buying one there?
> holding back comment about how dumb enlisteds are

All the military bases in Japan kept getting locked down every other month because, invariably, some dumbass Marine/Sailor would go and rape some local or DUI themselves into a car and kill a family.

Sucked for the AF guys who generally keep their behavior to selling drugs and CP.

Seems like there haven't been any incidents in a while actually. It's kinda strange.

Why does every new stupid military faggot immediately spend their first two years salary on a brotruck or sports car. They don't even get to drive it very often.

Because they're retards who just got their first chunk of money and don't know how to spend it

There was the one in Okinawa. Unsurprisingly it was a black guy.

If they're PoGs it doesn't really make sense, but if they're infantry or some other high risk position then it would be a good idea to use some of your money on the chance that you get killed. On the other hand you're infantry so you have no transferable skills.

Even EOD would be better.

Options

Imagine you're 18 or 19.
You just completed 2 or 3 months at boot camp, a pretty stressful experience where you basically had no autonomy and little contact with the outside world.
All of the sudden, you've got a bank account with like 3k in it, no expenses, and a guaranteed check for $650 coming in every two weeks. This is not like anything you've ever had in your life.

You see cool cars, like a 2017 Mustang GT or Camaro SS, and realize that you actually have enough money now to drive one of those home.
You do the math, and see that your payments will be something like $550/mo for 6 years. No biggie, that's how long your contract is, and you don't have any expenses, so that basically leaves you with $700 a month to do what you want, right?

You go get the car, and it's great. Brand new, 430 HP, you're having a blast. Then insurance comes in. 19 years old, brand new sports car, you're looking a $300/mo easy. Ok, that leaves you with $400 a month. You spend money going out. $400 is nothing after a few nights out. You keep this up for a few months, not running any sort of savings. Money's tight, but you're doing alright.

Then something, anything, comes up. Plane ticket back home, accident, you name it. It's the end of the month, and something's not getting paid. Next thing you know, you're standing in front of the first sergeant, trying to explain why he's getting phone calls that you didn't pay your car payment that month.

>it would be a good idea to use some of your money on the chance that you get killed
The chances of getting killed as infantry are incredibly low. Being a miner or logger is much more dangerous.

doesn't EOD make bank ass money? I remember reading some EOD greentext stories from K. usually pretty entertaining

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Get a Japanese specific car and enjoy it while you're there.

Get a Skyline or something.

What the fuck?!

They get a pretty fat re-enlistment bonus, something like $75k.