itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110417
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110370
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/96395
youtube.com/watch?v=G3QpGzUdCGw&index=5&list=PL66FDF33954626D8E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

furste

>no demoday themed pic
ree

Reminder that I love every yesdev who submits to demo day!

how are you defining locations where your points spawn?

Is it within a specific radius or??

>mfw reading tutorials but still don't know what I'm doing

How do I work game development in when I've got gym, art class and full time employment eating up my time?

Everytime i almost shitpost here i feel bad and post progress.

Stop sleeping

post your demo itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110494

Cute art

>???/???
This is my fetish

Hello friends, I used to come here 1 year or so ago. Anyone from here made it big meanwhile? I mean besides ror and cavern kings

>cavern kings
You mean the game that is now dead and will never be finished?

Fuck off steamchat whodev, you never post progress here.

he still made it big tho

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/95189

nice metal gear rex clone, do you ever come up with anything original?

Everyone's posting their cool demos and I'm still just working on this one model.

And I'm not happy with any of the textures really...

who /laptopdev/ here

same webm as last thread because didn't record anything else yet
thanks!
regarding mouse aim, due to the fact you can't aim any weapon in more than 8 directions i feel that it would be a bit counterintuitive to use. it's the specific of the game - allowing more angles would loosen up a lot of positioning you need to do.
thank you
i get your point about holding fire and i'll try to do something about it when i get to tweaking the game again.

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/96210

Me

>furry game and a whodev shilling
As if we don't have enough here.

I don't think I've seen your game here before. Is this your first progress post?

>dev
WE DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH

He's one of the circlejerking steamchatfags that only show up for demo day.

worse yet we have a nodev shitposting again!

It's (you)
I've seen this guy post before, he doesn't post often but I recall them

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/84427

i havent posted in the thread for like 2 years

Its a case of finding a tutorial that fits you user.

Took me few days but I found couple small scale tutorials I can follow and they make perfect sense to me. One is a very basic vertical shmup and another one is kinda taking it further and making a shitty physics based spaceship flying about.

fucking whodevs

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110434

i'm generally very adamantly not proud of my own shit but i gotta admit even though it's fucking garbage i've been having fun while testing this thing, and ain't fun the whole point

i'm absolutely keeping this endless/arena/arcade mode when i move on to the actual game because it's so fucking fun to me

any of you have any plans for secondary modes for your games?

Unity?

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110306

do boss rushes count?

Speed that shit up, it's running in slowmo even without the hitstop because of the physics.

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/108609

nope, gms

absolutely
also, boss rushes are the shit

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110300

>unnecessary long hitstuns
Before you ask no I didn't make the sprite and just got it from a friend who bought it for obscure reasons

I don't have a demo too and I'm not even working on my main game. Nice btw.

Slow on purpose for debugging.

almost done with the large multimesh buildings

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/109754

thank you user, it means a lot

I think I can turn it into a game in an hour or two

One last crew member!

Damn, I'm productive today

then we'll have boss rushes.

>50 views
>15 downloads
How do you fix this ratio? It always seems to be around 3:1 for my games

Post a video of normal speed then.

Looks neat. Eyes could use a bit more definition though, both on the model and texture
Show us the wireframe and texture sheet please

So impressed with this work man, its fast paced but you can still see what youre doing, which is usually hard with run n gunners like this.
Few notes:
- Shield is too string, I feel like I can hold it and go through the level while shooting once or twice. Consider making it a parry only attack, maybe?
- I keep pressing jump in the air to hover with my umbrella. Maybe I'm just getting Kirby-like vibes from it, but consider using your umbrella in more creative ways - for example, jumping in it and spinning, catching bullets/rain in it and releasing it in one go, using it as a fan to make a fire stronger... just throwing ideas around here but seeing as its called Umbrella Warriors...
- When you parry projectiles it bounces off your player at a funny angle, presumbably cos the shield is a circle and its bouncing off that. Consider simply returning the bullet back to its original course.
- Also when you press shield, it should start big and shrink quickly - for juice, and for an easier parry. (edit : I can see it does it already, maybe make it more pronounced.
- Is storing 2 weapons possible? One of the good things about Contra is changing your weapons depending on the enemy.
- You can't drop through the monkey bars with down + jump!!
- Jumping shouldn't make you go slightly faster, I found myself hopping through the whole thing.

I know all of these are negative, but they're nitpicks compared to how good this thing really is. Well done man

I have each node spawn within a certain radius of it's 'source', if it isn't then it's deleted and the source node keeps creating one until one works

screwed around a bit more and got this, looks much better

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110393

Tried moving the geometry a bit to make the eyes less squished together.

Wireframe and texture coming up

There is no normal speed, I've just said that I used high values everything purposely for debugging.
I'll tweak the values only once I'm done with that part. Besides this is not a fighting game, just a small kung fu clone that I can finish fast for my personal satisfaction.

... somehow I swear that you're the same guy always replying to all of my posts with nothing but complains. Thank for the support I guess.

That's great user

I don't want to give it detailed pupils, because I though I might try adding animated polygon pupils later.

how do you keep motivated?

I saw that pic of the time you spent in GM:S and I gotta say that is one hell of a work ethic. it really makes me want to put more effort into my devving, do you have any advice?

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110417

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110370

So is remaking Doom a good exercise for a beginner dev? It's pretty old so it seems like it would be easy compared to jumping straight into Unreal 4's next-gen tech. So far I've only messed around in Gamemaker with GML.

Also, does anyone know how the Invisible Pinky demons were made? It looks like there's actual lens effects going on or something. It doesn't look like just a see-through sprite, but it actually seems to warp the background along with whatever dithering/noise effect they're using. It's pretty impressive for an old game.

Doom was rendered by raycasting and drawing vertical textured lines. So that effect is quite simple, you just draw the lines behind it with slight vertical offsets and one shade darker.

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/96395
Someone pls gib feedback on the casting

I like the creepyness, nice work m8.

I had very serious issues with the scaling of your game, i'm using a 1600x900 monitor and it kinda stretched itself to 2/3 of the screen very badly and filling the rest with a background color

Any Unreal games this demo day? I wasn't planning on doing any videos this time since I'm on hiatus, but I could make a few exceptions if there's something cool I haven't played the last few demo days.

I doodled a little thing earlier

qt wiz

Cast Ron Perlman

I've never even seen this game before.
I just figured that if there's a slow debugging build there's a non debugging build that runs faster?

Thanks!
I realize that I feel much more comfortable doing creepy textures, that cute and friendly stuff (like the Spyro-inspired stuff I've been trying lately).

i dunno, i just really like doing it. good music helps sometimes.

link related: youtube.com/watch?v=G3QpGzUdCGw&index=5&list=PL66FDF33954626D8E

well you can still make spiro like an have it creepy you can make your own atmosphere maybe, since its a strength you could play to that

more like medieval if you've played that for PS1

C U T E

used reference for more bust practice, i think the eyes and mouth a little better positioned this time? do fresh eyes see any glaring issues?

Bleh I don't know what's up with the menus not scaling properly. They were only temporary anyway, so I guess I'm gonna be working on proper menus for the next week. What was it like after you got past them? If you couldn't see the ok button, you just need to press down/S twice then enter/space

Cute! Thanks user

How much do you think he'll cost?

it's not just the menus famalamadingdong, it's the whole game

>concave eye
Explain, I see a lot of models do that

not him but concave irises help to give eyes the depth that they need without having to rely on shader or texture tricks

Misunderstanding.

That's not a slow debugging version, the values I put in there are for debugging. For example, gravity value is light, hitstuns are high, animations are averaged on 5~8 frames etc. Those values are what I meant by debugging values. I'm just going to tweak that after.

But anyway have you played the kung fu games on NES/GB (originally called spatanX)? They're not that fast either. I'm just adding SNK mechanics because I want to.

>I've never even seen this game before.
gothica dev just taking a break from game because needs art and don't want to work on that now

>Switching from Monogame to GM:S
>Everything's easier to prototype, but I have no idea on best practices for anything, or what data structures GML supports, and there's tons of magic global variables everywhere

Oh god..

nice game man, died at the big ol mouth boss and had a blast playing it too
please please please can you make some enemies drop health though. or maybe drop 1/8th of a heart that gives you a heart if you get 8, like in Wario Land 4. A lot of the time I just wanted to beeline to the boss because I knew there wasn't much point in doing extra rooms cos I knew I'd get brucked up

>tfw people have downloaded my game but I have 0 feedback from it
>I don't even think that any of the people that played it were from aggy diggy
man

Oh yeah that game, I don't really recall complaining about that.
Finish it, she's cute.

Those who played for the first time, would I be right saying that the Tutorial was more "fun" than the Campaign?

I'm considering merging the two into a continuous story-mode with heavy present tutorial like narration (then maybe adding an endless mode on the side later).

I would give you feedback if I were able to actually play your game, i'm getting an error right out of the bat whenever i select any option in the menu

I wish I could help you out by suggesting what may be happening but shit man I'm just a dog

why not allow selecting characters with 1-4 so you don't have to be a starcraft player to play this?
posted in a ded tred

there's random drops on room clears, including health. if you explore rooms you can find shops that sell health, weapon tanks that give +1(+2 with ugprade) hp on pickup, or terminals with upgrades, one of which is a full heal. also secret rooms, they usually have hp too

Platform and error message? Is it a generic "has crashed and needs to quit"?

Just so you know that image is giving me major altered beat vibes

if you type var something then it's local, else it's gonna be global for the object you typed it in or if it's in script it's gonna use the variables from the calling object.

Tell me agdg
How does it feel to know that your thread is used as a hosting ground for demo days and game jams ran by a chatroom full of normies who don't even post here?

Windows 7 and yes.

You can do that, you just have to setup those keys yourself. Click on a unit, then press CTRL + a number. Then whenever you press that number you'll select the unit. The tutorial covers this but the tutorial is shit.

That's another thing
>Give an object a few variables
>There's no autocomplete for those variables if I reference the object somewhere else

>From what I can tell there's no "this", I have no idea how reference passing works, oh god what the fuck
I'll spend a couple days getting acquainted with GML and then it'll be fine. I have a feeling I'm going to end up having a half-dozen generic objects and then instantiate them with all sorts of different scripts to put in rooms.

I've had problems with 7 before - will setup a build just for it to see what's up, but that will take a while. Thanks for letting me know.

>Finish it
Well. Right now I'm in the phase where I need to add props and new blocks, but :
- the stock assets I'm using has run out of blocks, and kind of looks like meh to be honest
- I have no idea what kind of art I should add or even what artstyle I should use
- everything after relies on the 2 points above

I was at some point wondering if I should just use the minecraft textures but I doubt that the license allows you to do that, as in use the art outside of minecraft, even for prototyping. Just like the Rpg maker assets. Even more now that Microsoft has started a minecraft texture pack business from their win10 version.
And from experience I know it's always a bad idea to even suggest modders/artists from a community if it's ok for you to use their assets.

As long as I don't figure out how to solve that issue this game is probably not going anywhere.

>yfw all successful devs are discord normies

You should post more, your game looks really good, I'd love to see more progress.

:thinking:

Yeah, currently trying to imagine a good setting to fit creepier stuf

Only dummy animations but the logic/architecture for enemies is pretty much set up. Got an abstract default enemy controller whose mesh and animation blueprint is set up individually on construction (from a table).

So you basically just pull that blueprint into the world, give it the right enemy ID and get ready to get fucking knocked out.

Input is given by a general behaviour tree used for all melee enemies.