3rd time this year a neighbor's car rolled away on its own

HANDBRAKES, MOTHERFUCKERS.
THEY ARE THERE FOR A FUCKING REASON, FUCKING DAMMIT.

There's a reason if things like that happens only in the Usa.

Think about it.

Satan gets it.

>trusting a tiny little rod in the transmission to brake your whole lard ass barge on a hill instead of actually using something that was developed and put inside the car to hold it on a hill

>HURR, P IS FOR PARK WHY USE THAT HOMO PENIS THINGIE

The only case I've ever seen of a roll away car involved a geo tracker that was parked in neutral, and the parking brake failed.

Looks like a car boner.

congrats, you got the joke

how do manual cars shift into park

i mean obviously cant, but what if your handbrake fails

you put it in first or reverse instead of leaving it sit in neutral and then additionally pull the handbrake

e-brake and leave it in a gear. basically the engines compression can hold the car in place should the ebrake fail.

>basically the engines compression can hold the car in place should the ebrake fail.
please don't give car advice to people in person or on the internet

?

Not that hard, americucks.

explain then whats holding it. have u ever tried to push start a vehicle? that force you have to overcome is the engine

he's not wrong. the pumping resistance and general friction of an engine combined with low gearing in either 1st or reverse will be plenty to impede a vehicle from rolling. automatics are different and just rely on the parking pin holding up.

Pwned!

i have low profile tires and doing something like that would curb rash my wheels

no thank you. I'll stick to the handbrake and leaving the car in gear

>if your rim manages to contact the curb, even with the wheels turned, you're doing it wrong

i just learned this the other day from my ex boyfriend:

whenever you park a manual car on a hill regaurdless of how you park it YOU MUST ALWAYS turn the wheel towards the curb so that in the event the parking brake fails the car will roll to the right onto the curb and stop

its such a simple thing but ive never seen anyone actually do it before

Perhaps next time you should take your own intelligence into consideration before you act the cunt

that would only happen with stretched tyres you shitting stancefag

i would much rather curb rash a wheel and scratch my bumper a little than have my car roll downhill and rearend some greedy fucker

My office is on a pretty steep hill, of the 15 cars that park on the hill only two of us turn our wheels in.

t-thanks for gettin my back br/o/s

go find steep hill, park facing downwards, put the car in first and leave the parking brake down. then see how well the compression holds your car there.

implying my e brake works or theres hills in the midwest

That's why you put it in reverse if the car is facing downhill.

He's just too fucking retarded and we should give up. He's one of those kids with autism that just can't accept that they're wrong.

by putting the car in reverse you are not using engine compression to keep the car from rolling forward

>arguing semantics

Yes, on the steepest streets in SF using the engine's compression to hold the car in place will end badly, but up until a certain angle it will work.

>whenever you park a manual car on a hill regaurdless of how you park it YOU MUST ALWAYS turn the wheel towards the curb
>a manual car

??????????????????

you should do this with EVERY car.

and technically a manual car would be a tad safer on a hill with engine compression+friction+low gearing than with automatics and their lil blocking rod somewhere in the gears when on P. on some cheaper cars that rod can break quite easily.

in ANY case if the hill is a bit steeper, you definitely should also use the parking brake.
you aren't cool if you just quickly shift into P or leave your car in first and leave, you're just a lazy fuck and if your car rolls away you're also an embarrassing display of idiocy.

>towards the curb
Only if you're parking downhill. Also I thought this was commonly taught in driving school? My instructor used to make me up/downhill park all the time when I was learning.