Can we get a Subaru thread going. Picked up a 2017 Impreza today, last vehicle was a 2002 Outback

Can we get a Subaru thread going. Picked up a 2017 Impreza today, last vehicle was a 2002 Outback.

no thanks

How do you like it?
I have driven a few during pre delivery inspections. The same old disgusting cvt is gutless

What trim did you get? People keep buying the base model in my area

>1998 GT Foz

>300,000 km's

I love it dearly, but I feel like i'm driving a ticking time bomb.

I'm starting to wonder how long my car can go before I need to rebuild the motor. I'm hoping it will make it to at least 250k, but for all I know it'll make it to 300k

If I own an FRS I'm technically a Subaru owner.
rrrrrright guys?

I kinda want one of those

Frs is to angry looking for me

Subaru vaperace

>VIN starts with JF1
Sure, because Subaru did all the engineering.

Frs looks retarded. The only reason people buy them is because it says GT86 on the side for
>m...muh Toyota feels
The only thing Toyota about the brz is the fucking air filter and the key. (2013-2014 only)
2015 and up it's a Subaru key
The brz is arguably better looking and always will be not to mention the interior is miles ahead of that Fucking- Ricer- Shit--frs

>paying more for the same car
lol both are underpowered pieces of shits, you fell for the jew comfortable car meme if you actually bought a brz over a frs.

Bought a 2004 Subaru WRX but don't know how to drive manual.

I have taken some lessons. 3 to be exact and it felt like everything was clicking in the 3rd lesson where I kind of just knew when to shift gears and stuff.

what I'm mainly scared of is driving in 1st gear or reverse twhich I feel I don't have good control over. feels like I have poor control.

What is the manual equivalent of lightly releasing the brake to keep moving very slowly like I am automatic.

also when downshifting do I keep my footy on the brake during the whole down shift process. ie. if I'm in 3rd. brake+clutch in, shift to 2nd, slowly release the clutch and the brake then foot back to throttle?

I want to try just around my streets bit the guys a few houses down are a bunch of dudebro hoons who work on their own cars who I feel would give me shit

You're retarded, driving a manual is so easy, stop over thinking

When you grow up in the UK and you learn to drive in a manual it's easy to forget how hard it must be to learn when you've already been driving for years.

I guess everyone is scared they'll accidentally slam it into reverse or 1st on the motorway (highway) but it never happens. Just relax and don't overthink it.

And to answer your questions.
>Do I brake when downshifting?
No, keep your right foot on the accelerator, depress the clutch and select the new gear, keep the accelerator pressed enough so the revs are a little higher than before and then release the clutch. Only touch the brake when the car is in gear and clutch is released.

>How can I edge forwards like feathering on my brake in an auto?
Start moving by revving the engine to 2.5k or something and place it into first. Once there just release all pedals and you will edge forwards. You'll want to put a little pressure on the accelerator to make sure you don't stall.

ALso here in Spain (I don't know in the rest of the world) SUbaru BRZ is like 2000 Euros cheaper than the GT86, even if the specs are the same, and the 2000 Euros difference is the same in all the different versions. Toyota is just getting all the money while Subaru did all the work just because Toyota is a more popular brand and can even sell the same car more expensive and sell more.

>You'll want to put a little pressure on the accelerator to make sure you don't stall.

how do you slow shit down if the speed you are going at in 1st is too fast. cos if I release the accelerator and brake a little I tend to stall.

How badly am I going to fuck my car up while learning?

Also if I'm on a downward sloping hill in somewhat heavy traffic. is it bad to just keep it in neutral and just release my brake and let it roll down naturally without going into gear?

The brakes gain power from the engine when in gear and also the engine naturally slows down the car (with engine braking) your not damaging anything but its best to stay in gear while braking.

>What is the manual equivalent of lightly releasing the brake to keep moving very slowly like I am automatic.
Just release the clutch slowly?

So long as your are careful with the clutch while practising you'll be ok. WRX clutches are fairly hard wearing.

In the case you want to go slower than crawling in first you can either just hold the revs up and slowly feather the clutch (really bad for your car) or just stop start abbot (uncomfortable but worth it in the long run)

>cos if I release the accelerator and brake a little I tend to stall.
Press clutch and brake?

>Abbot
Idk where that came from

How is Subaru for reliability?
Considering buying a new wrx but want something to last 10+ years without any major issues.
Also have heard bad things about the paint.

is holding the clutch down all the way for longer periods bad for the car?

Just been practicing trying to move the car with just the clutch in my driveway

ie. putting it in 1st releasing clutch until it starts going forward. same thing whilst in R to reverse

is that bad for the car?

What is considered "riding the clutch?" and how can you tell if you are doing this?

Holding the clutch down is not bad for the car.

When the clutch is neither fully up nor down its is wearing down, one side is spinning faster than the other. When you do this for prolonged periods of time it can cause damage.

When we talk about riding the clutch we mean putting the revs up so you have nice power and then just holding the clutch part way, this effectively allows you to comfortably move at any speed you like (only useful for travelling slowly) the sad part is that this is wearing your clutch.

If you are really struggling I'll go against all my sense and make a video for you.

>Holding the clutch down is not bad for the car

Except it is.

OP, you need to stop worrying about breaking the car. If you're scared that every move you make is going to break it, you'll never learn.

The car will be fine, you'll get smoother with practice. Just be patient.

Wait not OP, this guy

Long time /k/, first time Veeky Forums
A local dealership has two Foresters I'll be looking at, an 05 and an 06. Both are X model, the 06 has the premium package (included LSD among other things). Both are manual, both have relatively low miles (06 has 68k, 05 has 52k). I know there are differences between those years besides cosmetics. Any idea what else I need to know?
Thanks

thatfeelingwheneverythingsjustright.jpg

They're fine reliability wise if you keep up with them. Bought a 04 WRX brand new and still use it as my DD today. The paint is garbage, like all jap cars. It's fine if you garage it but otherwise you'll want to get it covered.

Go find an empty parking lot with a slight slope on it and practice letting the car roll back until you feel the clutch engage. Easy peasy. Then ten minutes you'll be chirping the tires like a vapepro

God, fuck the paint on my STi.
they literally used crayons for the paint so expect it to get scratched easily and flake from road debris etc.
Reliability is great in these cars so long as you know how to maintain a car.

BRZ has a performance package that improves brakes and doesn't use the exact same rims that Prius has

>doesn't use the exact same rims
So they have same faces? or the same barrels?
They're called wheels you fuck

I have a 2017 wrx and can confirm paint is still shit. I have way more little chips and nicks than is normal for a car with 7k on it. Still love it though.

i drove off the lot with only watching youtube videos i stalled 5 times then got going i went to an empty lot and practiced all day leaving a stop on a small incline. then did rev matching down shifts on a back road get up to 4th then go down threw the gears you can learn pretty quick in a week the basics to get around then it's just a year of getting smoother as you learn the car and deal with the rev hang from first to second. and try to stop watching the rpms as quick as possiblw and liaten to the engine

Would a 2008-2012 stock Impreza be a decent choice for a first-time manual car? Seems pretty reliable and durable.