I don't know how Europe does it

50 year old design, 490 horsepower stock from the factory, Naturally aspirated.

How did Europeans sleep at night back then? Or its it worse now seeing how they can't even reach that with modern technology?

youtube.com/watch?v=8JfkpyzlGxw

Other urls found in this thread:

formulajunior.com/marque/cooper-t59/
rmsothebys.com/mo12/monterey/lots/1961-cooper-t-56-mark-ii-formula-junior-racing-car/1052818
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't be a dolt. That was an SAE gross rating, and plenty of European sedans make that kind of power.

It's because of the engineering behind that engine that they can sleep at night with out flying an SS flag on their lawn.

>tfw your 30 year old truck makes 650 NA horsepower with $2500 HCI swap

They didn't know it existed.

Watch the video.

It was rated at 425 gross when new.

He built it and dynod it, and made 490 net horsepower on his engine dyno.

It was sand bagging to an extreme.

>European sedans make that kind of power.

Yeah $200k super sedans that need a 6l TT V12 to make that power. These came in $30k family grocery getters.

>plenty of European sedans make that kind of power.
have a few examples? Also they were producing about 390bhp net.

Not watched it but it's highly unlikely to be built to the exact factory spec.
Also if you took something like the new Mercedes 6.2 V8 and put it on an engine dyno you'd get 700hp out of it.

>These came in $30k family grocery getters.
More like $3k when they were new.

Which is ~$30k in today's money.

That is a nice turbo.

To be fair, the cars were barely faster than a V6 Camry. Probably slower, actually.

Something like a Hemi Charger would probably weigh the same as a modern V6 camry, and apparently make 490/490. The only thing saving the Camry would be if the Charger ran on vintage rubber.

He had to bore it over .030 because there was rust on the cylinder walls and the closest compression pistons he could get was 10.6:1 compared to factory 10.25:1, also a .003 deck to true things up. Stock ignition (points), manifolds, carbs, it's pretty much just a refresh, no speed parts.

Which considering, still doesn't add up to 65+ HP.

But you're a fucking idiot for not watching and still posting an opinion.

They lied about the power it was making. Just like Nissan and their Skymemes.

>To be fair, the cars were barely faster than a V6 Camry. Probably slower, actually.
some where, but a hemi was around 5 seconds to 60. that was with the tires of the time.

all of that combined with a perfect tune and jetting it wouldnt have in stock form

I think stock theres no way they made over 400 net

>muh tires

still a retarded argument when modern dragsters run 9s on Polyglas (late 60s performance tire)

2012 V6 SE Camry does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, with shitty stock tires.

Face it bruhs, the Hemi is good, but HP isn't everything.

It was a good engine for its day, but its really nothing special by today's standards.

The only people who buy new Dodge products are niggers and faggots, and that's just a fact.

You guys still worship the shitty barra straight 6. I don't think you get an opinion on anything modern.

fuck i think i want a v6 camry now

>spending 40k on a old people transporter.

hell stock V6 Camry will pull a low 14

few simple mods and it would be a top tier sleeper

What part of torque and fun factor do you not understand? It's about wild somewhat untamable but relatively legal fun on the street. People like dicking around with that shit. Fuck you for being ignorant of that. Drive an SRT challenger, it's not even that fast at 500hp due to weight but it's FUN and affordable

The point of it is fun. If you wanted lap times you'd get a GTR or just 0 to 60 you'd buy a Supersport bike.

Hemi chargers etc are for the enthusiast who can't afford a separate racecar that has a family and wants something decently fun while he runs errands. They also make decent touring cars since highway passing power is entertaining on long trips and is easier on the engine overall.

Can't go wrong for roughly 30k

Don't fall for it. They have good specs and are very reliable but have zero character and aren't fun at all. You will die in unimaginable nothingness if all you drive are camrys.

>still a retarded argument when modern dragsters run 9s on Polyglas (late 60s performance tire)
Good point, there would be absolutely nothing gained in 40 years of tire technology.

>Hey let's compare dragsters to street cars
>Hey let's call people retarded
So you cherry picked the fastest time for a Camry. That is still a .9 second slower than the fastest cherry picked hemi powered car from 45 years ago.
>In before a second isn't much

>he forgot that smog restrictions exist in the US too and a bare bones engine like this on the street would be illegal anywhere there's emissions testing

Only in California and other shitty states. Nobody gives a fuck about them anyways, they're all just waiting for them to sink into the ocean.

they only smog newer cars. anything pre 75 is exempt

nah kicking ass in a Camry sounds fun to me

go ahead and point out where I said anything about tire tech not advancing

pic related is a drag car

it uses Polyglas
it runs 9s
it can run on the street too

>HP isn't everything
Sounds like something a faggot would say.

so not where i live aka not los angles or new york

this was a good meme but you fuckers have played it too far. you don't have to comment on that shit every time you see a picture with an alternator in it.

>people actually responded to this

>It was a good engine for its day, but its really nothing special by today's standards.
You can only judge it in the context of its time. That makes a big difference to what it is.
Otherwise you look at something like a contemporary supercar and because you know a supercar in 10 years time will be better declare the contemporar supercar as shit.
What's the point?
Why not then compare the 2026 supercar to one from 2126 or 3126? You see how this goes?
In the end you just end up saying everything is shit (except my logic), which of course is the Veeky Forums way.

>Not knowing a basic refresh

>Tuning was impossible back in the day.

>F.A.S.T. exists, so a factory car should be able to keep up with the likes of a stock eliminator cuz it was set up around shitty bias ply tires

I get it that you're trolling, but you could be more smart about it.

The mods he did probably added 10-15lbft through the curve. If I followed the video right the extra hp you're seeing is from increasing the rev limit.
So it seems Chrysler's figures were pretty accurate.
Although it lacks the entire FEAD so that would be worth a few horses too.

in the context of its time it was a heavy temperamental and expensive anchor that got dusted by the less glamorous 440 on the regular

sorry it was tuned

not factory stock

F.A.S.T are basically lightly modded cars with heavily modified engines

they run on old style tires so its not a valid excuse

I know youre a fanboy and want to defend your old shit by any means but you should be less ignorant about it

most things have an egg shaped semi hemi now
but this sort of intake charge swirl does not work at higher rpm ?

Those vintage tyres have modern compounds. And back in the day it made similar hp/litre as a Lotus Twin cam. It was a good engine, stop being a contrarian dickhead.

Looks like a BMC 1275 combustion chamber, and those revved to 9000rpm in race spec.

because the v8 was always superior

merricans knew they where onto something special and europoo's have been playing catchup ever since.

even jap v8's are better

You're correct about that.

This.

yeah we should all just worship everything due to the mythos and hype surrounding it and not seeing it for what it really is

>And back in the day it made similar hp/litre as a Lotus Twin cam

yeah and it weighs 4 or 5x as much

they werent that great outside of just numbers either theyre benchracer engines

sure theyre great if you want to tune it every time you drive it

sure theyre great if you dont run into a 427 454 or 440 with a competent driver and you didnt tune the shit out of it that morning

why are engine dyno nerds remind me of /g/ ?

as much as i like them the true test is a real dyno rwhp haha

he also had an o2 sensor on the exsuast
and also has 40+ years of esoteric engine preparation knowledge
.eg things not in the manual

>yeah and it weighs 4 or 5x as much
because they were 4 or 5 times as big and made 4 or 5 times the power
>they werent that great outside of just numbers either theyre benchracer engines
I'm not even sure what this means, if it has a cancerous fanbase it shouldn't stop you from being rational about the engine still.
But no, it wasn't a benchracer engine, quite the opposite.
>sure theyre great if you want to tune it every time you drive it
Yes they were more termperamental than a 440 but not as bad as you make out.
>sure theyre great if you dont run into a 427 454 or 440 with a competent driver and you didnt tune the shit out of it that morning
Maybe, it depends what the engines are fitted in. Obviously.
I'm sorry you're too cool to appreciate nice things that aren't current year spec but hey, others still do and life goes on.

>13 miles and half a kilo of co2 to the gallon
I know exactly what they were thinking while driving their porsches: "wunderbar"

a 426 Hemi makes about 300whp

they arent worth being appreciated

overrated pigfat garbage

its that engine you got when you got more money than sense if you wanted to fast or you bought it for the image

believe me I can appreciate a lot of old shit but this isnt one of them

aah you let the mask slip. never mind. stay tsundere

there is no dere just tsun

most likely as people do prefer the 1275
but some of the cooper formula junior were putting out around 100 to 130 hp
hard to find reference for all the different engine sizes and tuning but there are some good books about this

formulajunior.com/marque/cooper-t59/
rmsothebys.com/mo12/monterey/lots/1961-cooper-t-56-mark-ii-formula-junior-racing-car/1052818

now days they have computational fluid dynamics for getting better charge mixture and flame propagation
but I do wonder if some old concepts can be modernised

No camry. I daily one and it's killing me. So slow. The engine is incredibly unresponsive and the handling is super numb. It's not worth it, even for the sleeper status

426 Hemi was a pig heavy meme engine. The best engine was the LA 340. Power and can actually turn a corner