Career reset

Has anyone pulled a career reset in their mid-twenties or later?

I am currently a software engineer in a corporate job and I hate every second of it: the people, the culture, the work. I want to quit and move into a high-paying trade with the eventual goal of owning a business and working on my own terms.

Has anyone done it? Were you successful, or was it a huge blunder?

Other urls found in this thread:

edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-electricians-angry-over-wage-deductions-1.3178412
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just quit fidelity to work as a navy nuke in the military. I'm 23. Corporate culture sucks balls, now I can be in a blue collar/engineer environment with white collar pay. We'll see if it was a good decision, but I'm gonna try to get F you money.

become an elevator mechanic

Yep. I've posted my story before.

College educated. I started working for a payroll company, at a cubicle. Pay was about $45k a year. I fucking hated it. Like nervous breakdown sadness and pain. Hated going, hated putting on a suit, HATED corporate culture and PC office talk, hated the fat bitch that always set the thermostat to 65, hated my boss, hated hearing that I wasn't meeting company standards, etc..

Anyway, I quit.

I started laying tile for a local guy, working my ass off for $15/hr. But I was actually happier. Overalls, working with my hands, being a contractor, I liked it.

Then I quit that faggots company and started my own. I work about 3 days a week and usually make $1k a week or better.

Godspeed fellas.

Go for it OP.
Just don't spend too much more money on re-education. Don't dig that hole any deeper.

Do like the other guy in this thread and just take a job and start at the bottom.

Did you already have contact with the local guy before he hired you or did you apply to the position? How long did it take between laying tiles and then starting your company?

I've done two. Once from a roughneck to an ESL teacher, and I'm in the process of becoming an engineer now.

I regret nothing.

Blue collar is an easy hire. Especially if you already work hard in some form of manual labor. One of my neighbors told me about his company and gave me his cell number.

1 year. I quit and 2 weeks later I was laying tile under my own name.

nice

>hated hearing that I wasn't meeting company standards, etc..

>"-user, I'm afraid that you aren't leveraging our company's hyperscale platform"
>"-I'm afraid you're not leveraging my cock"

how do you start your own company? I'm still in high school and want to start right away.

What specifically do you hate about the people, culture and work?

Learn something quick and lucrative. You learn by working for someone else.

ie: carpentry, tile, paint, etc...

You'll be an expert in under a year. Then just make some business cards.

If I had known then what I know now I could have about a million dollars right now I think.

I'll explain for myself.

In offices, no one says what they really think. It's all a PC game of looking like the perfect corporate robot, so they can get promoted and shit. People pretend like they are happy to be there. You're encouraged to take pride in what you do, even if it's making copies and updating software. The constant buzzwords and performance pushes drive you nuts. It really is like the movie Office Space.

In blue collar there is no pretending. There is no suit and tie. People say whatever they want whenever they want, as long as you aren't rude to the customer and get the job done. You don't really need to "put on an act". Just show up and get the work done then go home.

Also in blue collar you usually have a deadline for the day and once you finish you go home. In corporate, finishing something early just means your boss hands you something else.

I also found blue collar more tolerant of mistakes, then corporate environments.

But my experience was negative, others say there are great offices out there.

What trades would you recommend to start a business?

I can relate, I too work in the Office Space bizarro world.

I worked as a web developer until I was 25 and I hated every second of it. I hated the faggy nu-males and hipsters in the office and the buzzwords they constantly spouted, so I quit. I had some money saved, so I learned to trade on Betfair with some of it and I've never looked back since. I can take my job anywhere I like, and I've bought a couple of properties in the last few months.

Trade on betfair??? Is it that lucrative??

You trade on a gambling site?

That fat ones that set the AC to 65 are probably the cause of 90% of suicides.

Great story man, i did a similar thing, and never looked back.

Godspeed

I'm by no means a success story by Veeky Forums's estatting standards but I switched careers at the age of 33. Luckily was being supported by my partner so could afford to start again at entry level. Got my first major promotion last week, very happy with my future prospects and don't regret making the leap one little bit. My previous career feels like a different lifetime ago.

I hear the elevator business is up and down

65 is comfy but I'm comfortable in 68-74

No, but i'm planning on it.

Well some are easier to get into, but less lucrative in the long run. But the ones that are tougher to get started you can make a fortune in the long run.

The easy one are the basic crafts like wood, flooring, tile, caulking, driveways, glass, a few others

The licensed trades are things like Plumbing and electrical

Yeah she sat in the front near the stat and was about 300lbs.

I'm 6ft, 150lbs.

So I was wearing a fucking coat and scarf into the office so Jaba the Hutt could be comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans.

I'm 25, work a blue collar job and want to get a CS degree

Am I too old? I already went to trade school but can't find a job because it's too saturated here(Canada) so now I need to become a white collar cuck if I want to make above $20/h in my lifetime

What did you do and what did you become?

That's retarded as fuck. Stay in your trade and start a business. Realistic scenario you get your $80K CS degree, start out at $35K and will be making $60-70K by the time you're 65. Inflation excluded.

CS isn't a $100K starting anywhere I want degree. The people that actually get hired on at those places didn't get there because of their programming skills. My Cousin is a shit programmer but she got hired at Google.

>Stay in your trade and start a business

I can't stay in my trade, i'm not even in my trade, I can't even find an apprenticeship despite looking for 2 years and applying in different provinces

CS grads here make 60k starting, I could've already been finished a degree in the time I spent 2 years in trade school + 2 years trying to find a job, not to mention as a intern you would be making as much if not more than an apprentice(unless they work a lot of overtime)

Trades have been a waste of time for me there's no point on continuing this path

What's your trade

Two friends of mine did industrial electrician and neither have had a problem getting apprenticeship

Multiple times. Went from EMT to a stint in the Navy to electrician to industrial mechanic to power plant operator. Now I'm moving into day trader so I can lose all my money and become a hobo and at last have true freedom and pick my own working hours.

Instrumentation and controls technician

Where do you live? Here in Alberta the electricians union just cut wages $8/h due to a lack of work

edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-electricians-angry-over-wage-deductions-1.3178412

God speed

>white collar pay
>enlisted

HAHAHAHAHAAH

>tfw going from assembly worker to industrial maintenance tech to some sort of engineer

>getting 2 year mechatronics degree atm
>going to work 3 days a wk for $20/hr while finishing my bachelors in mechatronics
>only need to take 2 additional classes for ECE bachelors alongside my mechatronics

>don't know what to do after that

>end game is to be a production engineer atm but my plant doesn't pay enough
>could go to autoplant and make 27hr starting as maintenance tech

>hour commute

>don't think its worth it for the commute n fuck moving to BFE

*****SHE****** no shit women get whatever they want in STEM it's a charity and big corporations and government jobs

fuckin eh bro as soon as oil went down our trades went to shit. 4th class power engineer here. can't get a job. just applied for a "entry" beer plant one and 25+ people applied.

Shit's fucked

I hear even 2nd class guys are having trouble finding jobs now, I know at the trade schools they stopped offering summer work experience because no company would even hire students

is this how it is Canada

Canada is completely fucked

I work as a labourer, my coworkers include 3 engineering degree holders, 2 engineering technologists, and a few people with science degrees

I don't think the jobs are ever coming back unless Saudi Arabia gets btfo.
=( Yes.

that sucks. I have been very fortunate in the automotive industry though

nafta fucks you guys in that regard too, you guys should scrap it

People here think Donald Trump scrapping NAFTA will somehow collapse our economy as if that already hasn't occurred and we've basically resorted to becoming a money laundering pit for rich third worlders

>work at circus in high school
>spend some time as a fishmonger
>became oil rig roughneck
>got engineering degree
>became mud engineer
>move to plastics manufacturing
>move to drafting tech
>tired of engineering, become math teacher
>teach 7th/8th math to little niglet shits for 4 years
>get tired of micromanaging and state test bullshit and egos and dumbass parents
>go work for boutique manufacturing plant
>just got laid off
>thinking of going back to construction, maybe bartending cause im a handsome devil and good with people, or maybe killing myself

I went back to school at 22 for EE, I'm getting ready to graduate now and the job prospects are significantly more sunny than they were for me before I went back. Honestly, I wish I did CS because EVERY tech employer wants coding experience. Aside from that I would suggest Civil Eng, but the material is literally the most soul killing thing you'll ever see.

But the way the world is going you could always start a career in politics favoring Canada's natural resources and wonderful people, and shunning all those refugees your libertard government is vacuuming up.

can't you just learn how to code, an EE degree can't possibly hurt your opportunities in tech.

You're welcome.
-A Trump voter

You can, but in order to have the same level of ability as someone who studied it for 4 years takes a bit of time. Then again, as long as you understand the concept of a logical process, the syntax can just be looked up.

If this is the case, why is CS considered a meme? Everyone always says they don't even spend that much time coding.

I wouldn't really say its a meme, a lot of jobs look for developers. Also, nobody spends time doing anything they learned about in school at their job from what I know, a degree is more of a rite of passage I guess.

so why the fuck does it matter

I hate corporate life, unfortunately I have no out, my only out is paying off a house with my wife by the time we are 35

If we can do that we will never have to worry about the rat race ever again

>am 28
>have EE degree
>work salaried position for a railroad
>semi technical running around yards maintaining trains, semi office stuff sitting around waiting for stuff to break and taking calls
>non union so not protected

It's not hard and I don't feel any pressing need to leave but I always like to have an exit strategy if things go south. I've been here a few years and I'm slightly worried I'm sort of typecasting myself, this stuff doesn't really apply anywhere else. But I only took this job because I fucking HATE regular engineering work and traditional office jobs, I nearly wanted to kill myself during my internships. Maybe I'll just look into something else on the railroad, I do like the culture here. Very uncucked and un-PC.

A CS degree might help you get your first job. A lot of programming and web dev jobs have nothing about a degree in their requirements. Degree is useless for programming after you get your first job unless you are going to be a fucking professor or something.

Any Canadians speak to home inspectors?

I'm in the GTA and looking for something else to do with my life. I don't want to go back to production tech and leaving retail management and my friend (real estate agent) suggested looking at home inspection. Looks like work that I would enjoy and there is possibility for expanding to different areas, I just have no idea how saturated the market is.

I know, in my area at least, houses are selling like no fucking tomorrow from the Asian market and it doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. I learn and absorb knowledge really quickly so I figure I can learn/get certified in 6 months while still working and then just quit.

So yeah any experience?