How do grocery stores manage to make any money when they have to throw away a lot of their inventory?

How do grocery stores manage to make any money when they have to throw away a lot of their inventory?

EBT

Because they buy at wholesale prices and mark up. Any produce item you can buy probably costs them pennies on the dollar for whatever they're selling it for.
You should know this.

They sell more than they throwaway

/thread

>You should know this.

I didn't. That's why I asked

dont bully pls

>You should know this.
This! I swear to god, in the last week Veeky Forums has become full of those dumb questions you ask your father when you're 14.

>Dad, why are mountain tops cold when they are closer to the sun?
>Why are there still poor children in Ethiopia, they're Christians too, why doesn't Santa just make them presents to last all year round?

Because what they throw out is a small percentage of what they sell??? They buy shit in ridiculous bulk quantities, they get food for so cheap you wouldn't believe.

this lol

>Mommy are index funds a meme?

They account for a degree of wastage when pricing their goods so they still have a profit margin.

>I am tired of working so I decided I want to become rich
>I saved up all year and now I have $46.72
>how do I turn this into 6 billion dollar so I can retire in three weeks

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

you forgot
>how do I dodge taxes and not get caught??
>so this meme stock crashed, did I get scammed?
>so I'm going to start a business combing cats anushair, any tips?
>so i just inherited a house and sold it to buy 100 000 lottery tickets

Too real!

>so i just inherited a house and sold it to buy 100 000 lottery tickets
kek.

Oh and the perennial
>How rich do you think you have to be to get married to this whore?
You have to admire their optimism though: clearly they can't get laid with achievable girls otherwise they wouldn't be obsessing over these models, and yet still think they can make millions of dollars to somehow buy the love of even less attainable women, hmmmm

Lol. This pretty much sums up Veeky Forums.
I'm glad there are others who are above the fray.

>stop asking questions
>you should feel stupid for learning

Oh go fuck yourselves.

Are there stupid questions? Yeah. Can many of the posts on Veeky Forums be answered with a google search? Yep.

But that doesn't start discussion.

And for the other questions, like "Grocery stores have to throw out a ton of stuff, how do they remain profitable?"

Those are legitimate questions.

Wanna know how I know each and every one of you fuckers is either unemployed or a wagecuck? You're a bunch of fucking crabs in a bucket.

Fuck them, OP. People who think like this will *always* be small, invisible nobodies. Period.

Oh and I am a business owner, and I developed my own product. So yeah, fuck you and your pure shit mentality. Go back to /r/atheism or wherever the fuck you belong.

They don't throw away as much as you think. Typically, it's only the produce department that actually suffers. That is followed by the bakery. The bread department (separate from bakery), meat department, and dairy departments all run a pretty tight ship so there isn't much loss. Some of the loss is mitigated through the discount rack. I worked in all of these departments (except for produce) so I am familiar with it.

The bakery honestly throws away the most food from what I have seen. All the store made cakes, muffins, cookies, etc... are disposed of if they don't sell.

Bullshit. You've never looked at wholesale prices. Shrinkage in milk alone is less than 5%.

OP you want:

i work in a food store stocking goods. theres a sticker on every box of goods that says what the store paid for it and how much they recommend you sell it for. as an overall rule they make about 40% on what they sell. stuff like baked goods comes frozen as dough and is cheap (like 22.00 for like 30 pounds of onion rolls) but has to be baked. i personally throw out the out-dated goods but its very little- definitely less than 1%

>But that doesn't start discussion.
There has been no discussion! Half of the posts are about how stupid the question is, and the other half are just answering the question directly because it's so elemental that there is no where for the conversation to build.

There is no evolving, permutation on opinions and thoughts as each person brings the summation of their individual knowledge of the topic, nuances and all.

No body on this board actually THINKS through their questions anymore. They think they're fucking geniuses because they think no one has ever thought of a leveraged buyout before or think that huge infrastructure projects can be achieved through the wave of a magic wand. Things that take only moments of introspection. And that pisses me off - thinking for yourself isn't hard.Reading a wikipedia article, or browsing through a summary of a topic isn't hard, and more to the point it gives you a better launch point for discussion.

Stupid questions set the bar low - are you such a contrarian that you actually want a race to the bottom, increasingly dumber and less sophisticated discussion of topics just to satisfy your need to be 'different'? A constant outsider?

>just to satisfy your need to be 'different'? A constant outsider?

legit have no idea how this was extracted from that other user's reply. made sense until that point

I work in produce right now part time cause I fell for the college meme. Produce specificily isn't supposed to make money. it's to get people in the door and push them to the deli, bakery or meat department. That's where the money's at. A lot of the shit they sell is honestly 400-500% mark up at the lowest.
As far as the actual grocery side with brand name stuff, the shrinkage is already built into the price, so there's no worries.

>are you such a contrarian that you actually want a race to the bottom
he's not a contrarian.

stupid people don't appreciate complex thought, it excludes them.

It was a stretch: but like you usually see this happen. there's a thread, there's cohesion in opinion up until one user has to chime in with a polar opposite opinion. I always suspect that it's insiscre written out of a desire to be different rather than a genuine consternation that their long held believe is not shared by the majority.

Guess I just got a bit to key-banging happy. I rescind that part.

well, we could maybe follow /g/ and instate a "stupid questions (questions that dont deserve their own thread)...its true that people must learn, but also true people can take the initiative to learn for themselves some basic facts

super markets profit margins are low like around 1%