The year is 1913. Your recently deceased uncle has bequeathed you a whopping $5,000. However...

The year is 1913. Your recently deceased uncle has bequeathed you a whopping $5,000. However, he stipulated in his will that this money can only be used to purchase an automobile.

What do you buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

justacarguy.blogspot.com/2010/08/hood-ornament-identifiaction-guide.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Model T like everyone else

Model T is a couple hundred. Can the leftovers be used for a house?

Should'a said '35 or something. Not really many good cars until then.

That said... a Model T, Indian scout, and maybe a Doble? Then invest the rest in ford.

more like a dozen houses

I'd buy a horse. And have it shit all over cars

A horse like a real man, cars are for cucks

There are plenty of excellent Pre-WWI cars.

One of those second hand race cars. 14.5 litres, 120+hp

And for commuting, a brand new Delaunay-Belleville

I dont know how much shit costs

but Id terrorize the small town farmers with my German machine if I could

big body (pre-)benzs dulls the senses

>We had stayed up all night, my friends and I, under hanging mosque lamps with domes of filigreed brass, domes starred like our spirits, shining like them with the prisoned radiance of electric hearts. For hours we had trampled our atavistic ennui into rich oriental rugs, arguing up to the last confines of logic and blackening many reams of paper with our frenzied scribbling.

>An immense pride was buoying us up, because we felt ourselves alone at that hour, alone, awake, and on our feet, like proud beacons or forward sentries against an army of hostile stars glaring down at us from their celestial encampments. Alone with stokers feeding the hellish fires of great ships, alone with the black spectres who grope in the red-hot bellies of locomotives launched on their crazy courses, alone with drunkards reeling like wounded birds along the city walls.

>Suddenly we jumped, hearing the mighty noise of the huge double-decker trams that rumbled by outside, ablaze with colored lights, like villages on holiday suddenly struck and uprooted by the flooding Po and dragged over falls and through gourges to the sea.

>Then the silence deepened. But, as we listened to the old canal muttering its feeble prayers and the creaking bones of sickly palaces above their damp green beards, under the windows we suddenly heard the famished roar of automobiles.

>“Let’s go!” I said. “Friends, away! Let’s go! Mythology and the Mystic Ideal are defeated at last. We’re about to see the Centaur’s birth and, soon after, the first flight of Angels!... We must shake at the gates of life, test the bolts and hinges. Let’s go! Look there, on the earth, the very first dawn! There’s nothing to match the splendor of the sun’s red sword, slashing for the first time through our millennial gloom!”

>We went up to the three snorting beasts, to lay amorous hands on their torrid breasts. I stretched out on my car like a corpse on its bier, but revived at once under the steering wheel, a guillotine blade that threatened my stomach.

>The raging broom of madness swept us out of ourselves and drove us through streets as rough and deep as the beds of torrents. Here and there, sick lamplight through window glass taught us to distrust the deceitful mathematics of our perishing eyes.

>I cried, “The scent, the scent alone is enough for our beasts.”

>And like young lions we ran after Death, its dark pelt blotched with pale crosses as it escaped down the vast violet living and throbbing sky.

>But we had no ideal Mistress raising her divine form to the clouds, nor any cruel Queen to whom to offer our bodies, twisted like Byzantine rings! There was nothing to make us wish for death, unless the wish to be free at last from the weight of our courage!

>And on we raced, hurling watchdogs against doorsteps, curling them under our burning tires like collars under a flatiron. Death, domesticated, met me at every turn, gracefully holding out a paw, or once in a while hunkering down, making velvety caressing eyes at me from every puddle.

>“Let’s break out of the horrible shell of wisdom and throw ourselves like pride-ripened fruit into the wide, contorted mouth of the wind! Let’s give ourselves utterly to the Unknown, not in desperation but only to replenish the deep wells of the Absurd!”

>The words were scarcely out of my mouth when I spun my car around with the frenzy of a dog trying to bite its tail, and there, suddenly, were two cyclists coming towards me, shaking their fists, wobbling like two equally convincing but nevertheless contradictory arguments. Their stupid dilemma was blocking my way—Damn! Ouch!... I stopped short and to my disgust rolled over into a ditch with my wheels in the air...

>O maternal ditch, almost full of muddy water! Fair factory drain! I gulped down your nourishing sludge; and I remembered the blessed black beast of my Sudanese nurse... When I came up—torn, filthy, and stinking—from under the capsized car, I felt the white-hot iron of joy deliciously pass through my heart!

>A crowd of fishermen with handlines and gouty naturalists were already swarming around the prodigy. With patient, loving care those people rigged a tall derrick and iron grapnels to fish out my car, like a big beached shark. Up it came from the ditch, slowly, leaving in the bottom, like scales, its heavy framework of good sense and its soft upholstery of comfort.

>They thought it was dead, my beautiful shark, but a caress from me was enough to revive it; and there it was, alive again, running on its powerful fins!

>And so, faces smeared with good factory muck—plastered with metallic waste, with senseless sweat, with celestial soot—we, bruised, our arms in slings, but unafraid, declared our high intentions to all the living of the earth:

fin

Model T and as much land as I can buy with the leftovers, thank you.

Doing anything else would be really dumb both at the time, and in hindsight.

Excellent choice.

An Itala won the 1907 Peking to Paris rally so I'd have to consider them for durability.

Try not to be this guy 10 years later.

>Selling a brand new model t for $100
No wonder the stock market crashed

A Model T with a custom Ford script steering worth the difference between junk Model T and 5K worth of gold.

That's not a Model T you mong. Hint, look at the hood ornament! He REALLY lost his ass.

Shut up and buy a civic

justacarguy.blogspot.com/2010/08/hood-ornament-identifiaction-guide.html

I'd like a fine 1913 Willys Overland

A 1912 Fiat Tipo 56 Touring. This thing is actually being sold near me, and I was able to see it in person.

Buy a model T and trade it for horses.
>lose ALL of your money
>don't resort to crime
Shiggy diggy

I looked through the provided references but I didn't spot the emblem. I'm seeing it as two angled wings sweeping back.