Can insurance

I need advice from people that know about this stuff, long story short in a couple months I'll be getting quite a bit of money from my grandma to #1 buy a place to live and #2 to buy a car. After seeing the condo and adding everything, I'll still have a little over $60k to buy a car. My dream car is the Dodge Hellcat (challenger or charger). The insurance prices I've been getting is from $1k-$2k a month.. I really cannot afford to pay $12k-$24k a year JUST for car insurance.. This seems unbelievable to both of us so I was wondering if we did something wrong. I have no idea about this and she's even more clueless about this type of stuff. Another thing I was wondering is if it is that high can I possibly have my 27 year old cousin buy it under his name and his insurance? His are gonna be much much lower considering he's 9 years older then me. I 100% trust him with the car so is that possible? Or can I do something to get past the insurance price? I might be in denial and just trying to come up with solutions so that's why I'm asking you guys. My mom will not add me to her insurance because buying that car is "suicide" and she "will not help me kill myself" so I can't do that. Also please don't tell me the same thing. Thank you

Other urls found in this thread:

cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Dodge-Challenger-d894#listing=119453158
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tl;dr

This has to be bait. I refuse to believe people like this exist.

Buy a civic si, you can't handle 707 hp as first car

>My dream car is the Dodge hellcat

I said charger or challenger.. I can't decide

They are both shit cars

Underage b&

why would you post here if you are not a true car enthusiast and expect us to give a proper response to an idiot?

Buy a civic or something just as good and save your money you dumbshit

Buy something with 4 doors that is not driven by hooligans/often in accidents

>My mom will not add me to her insurance because buying that car is "suicide" and she "will not help me kill myself" so I can't do that. Also please don't tell me the same thing. Thank you
Okay, I won't. Instead I'll tell you to go ahead and kill yourself with the money your grandma gave you. When you're dead you don't need to care about your family falling apart because you mom is blaming your grandma for giving you the money to buy this weapon of a car.

>The insurance prices I've been getting is from $1k-$2k a month

That's because statistically speaking, your chances of totalling the car are extremely high, and insurance companies aren't charities.

Take the hint and get a car that you won't wrap around a tree instead.

I'm 38 and I wouldn't even buy a Hellcat because the temptation to goose it all the fucking time would be too great, and I'd either lose my license, wreck it, or worst of all, wreck it and cripple myself and/or someone else.

18 year old me would have been about 1000x less responsible.

If you absolutely MUST have some kind of sports car, get a cheap C5 Corvette and learn on that. That way, if you wreck it, at least you didn't flush 60k down the shitter.

I know you won't listen to this advice, but in all reality you should get a normal coupe or a pickup truck because at least they're practical.

I understand what your trying to say, I appreciate that your weren't calling it "bait" or being rude about it. I just wanted to see what my options were. Seeing how there's no way I'll get something else

>Seeing how there's no way I'll get something else

Then buy the car cash, and register it in a state that doesn't require insurance? Do what the Mexicans here do.

Jesus Christ almighty, is that 2k/mo for straight liability? Because if you finance it you'll need to get full coverage. Good luck with that.

But if you choose to drive it without insurance, God help you if you hurt someone.

I suppose from your perspective the money you're getting is 'free' so if you total the car nbd. You'd probably only realize how badly you fucked up 20 years from now.

>You'd probably only realize how badly you fucked up 20 years from now
I give him 2 weeks with the car before he realizes.

>18 year old kid trying to insure a shit-tier muscle car
Man, I wonder why your insurance rates would be high, that's absolutely nuts dude. /s

Seriously though, just get yourself a fun, reliable car for under 10g, do some research and spend some years learning how to drive and don't get in accidents. Get your dream car later, and set aside that leftover money for insurance, repairs, tinkering, and accidentals. You'll be way better off for it.

>seeing as there's no way I'll get something else
Never mind kill yourself fgt.

Seeing how so many people are telling me not to get it, I'm most likely not gonna get it but thank you, I'll look into it and see

Sorry man, I didint mean it like that
I meant "Seeing how there is no way, I'll get something else" lol

Whom mans is this

>The insurance prices I've been getting is from $1k-$2k a month

That would be a very normal insurance bracket for a teenager with a Hellcat.

Like said, take the hint.

That's a pretty substantial difference just from that one little comma.

Buy something fun and used. Put only liability on it. Pay 200/month or less, probably. Stay away from 2 doors and boi racer type cars. Set aside whatever you don't spend, wait 3 years (or 7, after 25 rates drop pretty dramatically and more companies will insure you, more competition=lower rates) and buy yourself a helcat with the money you'll have made after investing the 35-45 grand you DIDN'T spend today.

I'm a pretty big fan of dodge so I'll probably get a charger (4 door) r/t. Not much excitement for now but what's the rush

Gee, I wonder why car insurance companies would be wary to insure an 18 year old nu-driver with a 707hp engine on a platform that's about as easily controllable as diarrhea.

You're retarded, OP. I thought that buying an FD with the $60k my grandparents were planning on using to get me a new BMW when I graduated high school (it's old prohibition money) and putting the rest into insurance payments (nowhere near as bad as you're talking mind you) and college tuition was bad enough, but this takes the fucking cake.

I was only paying $250, 6 years later now it's dropped significantly.

Tell you what, why don't you just give me that $60k and I'll use it to pay for grad school, and we'll both be better off as a result.

5 ?

Don't buy a v6 muscle car. >300hp is a shitload to someone like me who has only owned integras and 300zxs but it will still put you into a tree. Then on top of that you will have massive badge envy and v8 muscle car drivers laffin at you. 200hp is enough to double the speed limit with ease, I lost my licence when I was 19 in an integra type s. Buy a civic.

Why wouldn't you get an E class or something instead?

It's a fucking dodge do you think that interior is going to be worth anything? Jesus.

I'm going to do you a real fucking solid here instead of troll (which was my first instinct).

Take that extra money and instead of buying a car, buy a larger house, OR a duplex, OR a triplex.

Rent the extra rooms in the house or rent out the other units. Learn how to manage property. There are courses online for this.

The extra passive income will pay for a nice car for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Literally you can lease a new car every couple of years and the rental income will pay for it. Not only that, the property will most likely increase in value in the long run.

Fuck the Hellcat. Get a Challenger with the Scat Pack and go to racing school. Like A LOT of racing school.

Once you actually know how to drive, add a Whipple Supercharger to the Scat Pack and now you have a Hellcat.

Yeah after doing more research, fuck everything.. I looked up "most expensive places to insure your car" and OF FUCKING COURSE Michigan was #1.. I'm done. Ill buy a motorcycle for $10k and just fuck it, insurance is way cheaper, doesn't waste shit load of gas. I'm actually really pissed Michigan showed up #1

Take it from someone's that actually test drove these. The Scat Pack or regular SRT is way plenty for the platform. You burn rubber, drift, get loud and obnoxious all the same. Way cheaper and the insurance is too. Later you can supercharge it and it'll make the same power at the hellcat

What the fuck? I have a hellcat and my insurance is 130$ a month.

How old?

I'm not a fan of motorcycles. People drive like total assholes and you will face death every single day. Plus it's fucking cold in Michigan.

If I were 18, I would get a Challenger with the basic V8 and one of their cool upgrade packages that improve the look visually, or even the V6.

You will have plenty of fun. IF you learn to drive that V6 is more than enough to whoop other people if you have the skill to do it.

But honestly if you want to have a shitload of fun and drive fast get the Fiat 124 Abarth or a new Miata.

Are you an 18 year old?

>Waste $30k on a 164hp "sports" car

I've checked out a 2014 Dodge Charger srt which has 470 hp and the lowest I found insurance for is about $850/mo which is not as bad but still too much

Oh fuck. Been drinking and was just taken aback by that fucking rate. That said, I did insure a Grand National at 19 for like $200/mo.

Dude, you seriously need to take that money and stash it away. Buy yourself a shitbox, something in the 2000-2005 LeSabre range will run you 3-4k in good shape and will run for ten years until you can buy what you want and pay piss in insurance.

>piss away 35-40k on a pretend muscle car that will be slow as shit rather than spending half that on something a few years older with actual performance

As for the idiot OP who is probably baiting, a brand new car will have high insurance for anyone, even more so for a newbie driver who thinks they need a $65k car to crash within 6 months. The prices you listed are a bargain tbqh

t. Bus Rider

Insurance guy here.

Be honest with me, OP.

What were you looking at? There's no way I'd write this policy, even between $1-2k.

You were looking at bare minimum policies with little to no coverage for the car itself, weren't you? $1k is absolutely lowballing it, and you'd be extremely lucky to get $2k under any decent policy not intended for wetbacks and niggers.

You're a rolling liability.

I give him half way home from the dealership. He would have absolutely no idea what to expect out of that car and would take a turn at half throttle on cold tires and be wrecked at best, dead at works.

I'm not a fan of bikers either, they drive like complete retards but I'm assuming everything that has the words "srt" or "V8" is a automatic rise in insurance cost, V6 doesn't sound bad at all tho, I'll have to look into that and see what prices they give me

>inherit money
>piss away $75k or so on a brand new car at 21
>even more on insurance
>sell car you can't afford anymore at 23

Stop being an idiot. Take $15k of that and find something with some performance. Put the rest to work for you making you more money so you can retire early

No, anything that says
>Mustang
>Challenger
>Camaro
>coupe
>letters indicating performance model

Are an immediate price hike, because idiots such as yourself go out and buy a brand new one that you can't afford as your first car and then do a sikk skid into a traffic light with it.

High insurance was why I wouldn't pull the trigger on a 2014 RT. It was $250/month. I went with a first gen CTS-V that was cheaper in price and insurance while having better performance.

So how can it be your fucking dream car if you can't decide between two different cars? If your dream car is just whatever is fastest, then ok, but you can't have your dream car be spec that is shared by two separate vehicles.

If this post is serious, then my idea is just wait until you're older. If you realize your dreams before you're even 20, life gets boring really fucking quickly.

>dream car
>somethings that is barely a year old

Easiest way to spot someone who doesn't know shit about cars

Um hey buddy sorry to inform you but that car came out in 2015. And before that my "dream car" was a 2014 Dodge Charger srt8, and before that a 2013,2012,2011 ext. My point is I like muscle cars and especially dodge so please shut the fuck up

>My point is I like muscle cars and especially Fiat so please shut the fuck up

FTFY

That last sentence is deep

ur a fagit

I agree

>buy condo
>invest the rest of the money
>buy both of them
e-zeeeee

You're an enormous faggot for the following reason
buying new
$60k on a dodge that's not viper
not buying a house

I can only dream of a viper, they go for 100k+

new

>invest the rest of the money

Yeah, because your average Joe knows how to diversify his portfolio and pick and choose the right investments.

JUST INVEST IT YO

fag

You can easily just pay a jew to do it/help figure it out and continually make recommendations.

I don't have anywhere near the amount of money cunt OP has, but I've still been able to do this.

Nigger, if he took 5 k, bought a beater, and put the other 55k in decent mutual funds, in ten years when the insurance would actually be reasonable, it'd be worth about 130k with a modest 9% rate of return. With the S&P average RoR of 12%, he'd be closer to 170k.

Look bud, on the off chance you're not a troll I'm going to give you some advice. Specifically from a financial standpoint since from what I skimmed, plenty of people have already told you how bad of an idea a Hellcat is for an 18 year old's first car. If for some reason you want even more of that piled on from someone who tracks cars and has driven a Hellcat (and other higher powered cars), I'd be happy to.

Now, you're getting a chunk of money from your grandma, which not a lot of people get to use as a launching point for life. Take advantage of it.
Assuming your condo that you're talking about is bought, great, you get an asset to your name and don't have to pay rent. The downside of a condo is that you're going to probably be paying maintenance or building fees so you're still going to have costs. If you're also renting the condo, then you may want to consider something else like a house. Either way you're not bad with that aspect.

With that $60k if you spend it all on a car, then it goes into a depreciating asset that will become worthless, or worse when you consider insurance costs and how much you may end up sinking into it in maintenance. Best case scenario, you sell it after 3 years and only lose half of that money.

Let's take $50k of what you have left over. Let's assume annualized return (CAGR) of the S&P is 7% (it's 7.7% over the last 10 years, 8.35% over the last 20, 10% over the last 100).
In 10 years, you double your money.
In 25 years you have over a quarter million.
In 50 years (or when you're around retirement age, you'd have almost $1.5 million).
If you locked it into a Roth IRA until retirement, it would all be tax free earnings.

If you have any questions, ask away, but I hope that illustrates how powerful $50k invested at a young age can be.
A nice car will be fun for a couple of years, but being smart with an opportunity like this can give you a lifetime of financial stability and peace of mind.

Have fun being poor.

Combine that with having your own place that you aren't renting and you save what people your age spend in rent.
Some more math... Let's assume rent is normally $1000 a month where you live. If instead you took those extra $1000/mo that you're not throwing away in rent and invested it instead, you're looking at adding $12k/yr into your portfolio. Here's what that looks like:
Adding $12k/yr every year for 10 years = a bit over $175k (you've put in $12k*10=$120k, profit is $65k aka your Hellcat)
Doing that for 25 years, it's a bit north of $800k (on $300k invested)
Doing that for 50 years, you're looking at $5.2 million. $5,200,000. Again, all tax free if you do this through a Roth IRA.
That's potentially retiring with nearly $7 million without accounting for any money that you make in your career.

Compound interest is a powerful thing. Take advantage of it.

Well about the hellcat, I love the car and all but yeah your right, 3 years of fun is not worth the $$ losses. As for the money thing I don't have the patience to keep it in a bank for 50 years. 10 I could do seeing how much profit comes from it without risking anything. I could also try investing or like how other suggested "hire a jew" to invest it but I need to look into it more

Also I really appreciate the people that don't automatically assume that every post on Veeky Forums is "bait" and that actually try helping out. Thank you

The r/the is the shitty 5.7 that's about as fast as a v6 camaro or mustang

Despite the fact this seems like a troll post, let me impart some knowledge.

You dream of a Hellcat? Cool. I own a 2012 Challenger R/T. I love my car. I love it more than I love pretty much anything in my life.

That said, you're a retard if you just out and buy a Hellcat.

The 5.7 Hemi has more power potential than a Hellcat. It has bigger bang for buck. You want a fast Challenger? Buy an R/T. Throw a Supercharger on it. Stroke and bore.

You wind up with more power than a Hellcat is capable of.

Get a modest apartment. If you really want a good car, do not just blow your entire wad at once. Hell, I wouldn't even throw cash down on a 20k used R/T. Make payments. Save the money and build the car with excess income or wait until it's paid off.

Don't be retarded. Don't get your dream car repossessed because you can't into financial security.

>I don't have the patience to keep it in a bank for 50 years
The idea is that it doesn't require patience, you just sort of forget about it and if anything live off the interest. More on that at the bottom.

You're also 18 and 10 years now feels like an eternity, because at this point it's more than half your life. I was the same way when I was your age and I'm watching a girlfriend go through the same thing with how she sees the time left in her enlistment. Once you get to 28, 10 years is going to seem like nothing. At that point it'll be easier to keep the money in another 15 years, and when you get to the end of those 15 years it'll be easier to look at retirement and decide to keep it in until then. One step at a time. It also helps when you see your money grow like it will.

Now, keeping it in a bank is not what you're doing because that's dumb because low interest rates. What you want to do is invest it, and investing isn't as hard as it's made out to be. All you need to do is put your money in index funds or low cost mutual funds like products from Vanguard. No need to hire a jew.

Now moving on to living off the interest or off dividends. One way to do it is to invest in stocks that pay dividends, or a distribution of profits based on how much stock you hold. Also available as dividend funds which are funds that invest in companies that pay dividends but will have built in diversification. We'll say the average dividend paid is 3%.
Lets fast forward 10 years and say you've got a combined $300k in investments from that leftover you invested + your invested savings from not paying rent. At that point you're MAKING $9000 a year just by having money invested, not including the growth in your investment that we talked about in the previous posts.
The longer you invest, the more your money grows, the more your money grows, the more you get paid in dividends.
It's much easier to have patience with your money when you're being paid for letting it grow.

For many people that money would be a once in a lifetime gift. I agree with posters who say invest most of that money.

But you need a CAR FIX and here's what I would do. Go to some high performance driving schools and drive their cars on a race track with professional instruction. Get some legit driving experience without risking your own car or endangering others. Also the certificates from some driving schools can lower your insurance.

Your first car will likely get curb rash, parking dents. Get a used car with a low blue book value, this will reduce the comprehensive (collision) part of your insurance. The other parts of your insurance, liability, medical, are determined by your age, driving history (none), and other factors (student, employed, etc..) I suggest your first car be something like a ten or fifteen year old Toyota Tacoma. After three years of accident free driving your insurance will drop a bit, but the big reduction usually happens when your over 25 years old, sorry.

Damn, you seem to know a shit ton about all this stuff, you remind me of a teacher I had for Building Wealth (type of investment class) that knew a lot about investments. Is this stuff everyone is required to know or do you have a interest in investments?

If you are really wanting a Challenger. you can get a used R/T with low miles for well within your budget. (Around 17k)

cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Dodge-Challenger-d894#listing=119453158

Save the rest of the money for doing other fun, stupid shit

>my 27 year old cousin
>he's 9 years older then me
So, you're 18? Yeah, assuming this isn't a bait thread, no way in hell are you going to get cheaper insurance at that age. You're a massive liability. I drive a C6 and I pay $115 a month, but I'm 33 and have a flawless driving record.

It's part of what I do for a living. I sort of reevaluated what I wanted out of life at around 22 after I decided I didn't want to be an engineer anymore. Investing (alongside my business ventures) is the path that I decided was going to get me to where I wanted to be, so I spent the last several years building knowledge and capital. Now I get to drive those fast/fun cars without getting into crippling debt or turning my financial situation into a trianwreck to do it.
Spoiler: Even though I could buy a Hellcat outright and not really feel a dent in my pocket, I still always think in terms of what a large purchase is going to cost me in opportunity cost down the line.
e.g. the "true" cost of a Hellcat to me isn't $65k... it's ($65k+$5k for TTL)*(1+7%)^x, where x is a number of years I determine. In my current case it's 17. So in other words, before I buy a Hellcat, I ask myself if buying it is worth not having ~$220k when I'm 45.
Having that mentality about everything will do wonders for your financial stability and future.

Nothing of what I've mentioned in this thread is anything that would only be expected from someone that works in finance though.
At your age you should be starting to figure out how basic investing works and how to take advantage of it. With just that type of knowledge you'll have a massive advantage over your peers, and an astronomical one armed with that knowledge as well as a sizable nest egg you can grow from such an early age.

So what we know from this is you are getting less than $100k. And you are gonna spend 75% of it on a car. Have fun being broke in a few years

This. Never spend a dime you don't have to, that way you can die with the maximum possible money and make sure you did not have any unnecessary fun

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of fun.
In the last 6 months I've taken a month long trip to South America and bought a new car, and in the next 6 months I'm heading to mainland Yurop and Iceland for a month and 2 weeks respectively.
I also routinely date girls 5-10 years younger than me.
10/10 would recommend.

v a n g u a r d i n d e x f u n d s

done

That's a smart way of thinking about things

Buying that car is suicide. I'm not going to help you kill yourself.

Not at all true, I'm trying to avoid doing exactly what you said. Why the fuck would I spend $140k on a viper when the condo I'm buying is only about $160k and that's the place I will live in. I'll have a little over $60k for a car and or other shit after buying to condo. If I got the viper I would spend $140k on a car and have $80k for a place to live and I can tell you right now, you can't find too good of property for $80k where I live and spending almost double your house worth on car is just plain retarted. I like what said earlier about easy safe investments because that will actually help me out in the long run.

This is either a great troll or you should stop sucking a faceless corporation's dick.

Dodge and most of the American manufacturers have been utter dogshit not even worth a single look for the better part of 10 years or so from 2000 to 2010.

Every time I have been in an American car I'm reminded of why they nearly collapsed.

You're a profound retard if you do anything with that 75k other than invest and spend as little as possible. I still drive what my parents don't want anymore and pay for it with parts and maintenance. I won't be buying a car for another 5 years at minimum.

It's funny because both my parents hate American cars too. We are European (don't wanna say exact country) and they think they are better then everyone or something. My mom likes some jeeps and some Cadillacs but my dad despises everything American. Sometimes I think it's ONLY because its American. I don't know why I did too for a long time, I think it's because of them telling me their bad over and over. Only a few years ago my friend bought a 2009 Charger r/t for a pretty good price and I started driving around with him, that's when I really started appreciating the car. Dodge in general gives a lot of muscle power for its price.

Fucking jews running insurance companies

>Dodge in general gives a lot of muscle power for its price
That's Dodge's game. Claim a ton of power on a spec sheet and not worry about how much of it is actually usable or the real world performance of the car.
The ZL1 has "only" 650hp, but it squeezes as much use out of every single one of them as possible, which is why it's so much better performance wise. Nevermind that the power to weight ratio is in the ZL1's favor because the Hellcat is so heavy (and still manages to have a very hard time putting that power down), it also doesn't sacrifice any comforts to do it.
People see 707 on a spec sheet and eat it up though.

>doesn't sacrifice any comforts

2 doors is a sacrifice over the charger. But more or less true.. However they don't sound as good in my opinion, and the ride quality isn't as nice. 67 less horsepower, which I agree the camero puts down better, but the charger would be better for those mid-speed highway pulls. Plus, automatic as standard compared to a few k$ option on the camero, which is what you want for a 700hp cruiser.

And that hemi is quite possibly the best engine currently in production, period.