Lately I've seen a big talk about the new Fiata and the new Miata

Lately I've seen a big talk about the new Fiata and the new Miata.

This made me wondering Veeky Forums: what's the deal with roadsters? Who are they targeted at?

>they're small
>they're expensive
>they're not very flexible

The younger part of the driving population might be the one that might desire such type of car more strongly, but at the same time it's the one that has less financial power, and roadsters ain't cheap, especially when there are hatchbacks that cost half as much and offer way more than just two seats and no trunk space; sure hatchbacks might not be as fun to drive as roadsters, but you might want to get something more out of your investment than just some fun and a charisma boost, especially when you can afford just one brand new car (let's ignore the used cars market, because car manufacturers don't profit out of that with their newest models).

>Who are they targeted at?

Employed 20 somethings who still live at home with disposable cash.

Professional 30 somethings that want something sporty, fun and have zero need for anything practical.

Hairdressers.

Men in their 40's and 50's who want to pretend they're in their 20's and 30's again.

Housewives in their 40's and 50's who no longer have kids living at home and their entire existence is getting their hair done and yoga.

>Hairdressers.
Nice meme.

>Employed 20 somethings who still live at home with disposable cash.
The point remains: why not a sporty (?) hatchback?

>Professional 30 somethings that want something sporty, fun and have zero need for anything practical.
Do they actually exist in such large numbers?

>Men in their 40's and 50's who want to pretend they're in their 20's and 30's again.
>Housewives in their 40's and 50's who no longer have kids living at home and their entire existence is getting their hair done and yoga.
Makes sense, although it's sad.

>the want a brz badly but don't know if I could live with the mediocre head unit/center console and impracticality
>tfw will probably get the new 2017 Civic Si when it comes out, which will be faster, with nicer interior, and more room for less, but won't be rwd or as fun to drive
>tfw no perfect lightweight sports car with Lexus tier fit and finish and interior quality, cayman tier handling and agility, high reving NA vtec engine with power delivery and torque curve of a Porsche twin turbo flat six, with a usable trunk and back seats that fit Peyton manning for under 30k

Fiat?

>The point remains: why not a sporty (?) hatchback?
This is purely anecdotal, and just for myself, but I'm a 20-something year old with disposable cash (although I don't live at home).

I had a Focus ST (until last Thursday when some DICKHEAD ran a red light and T-boned it). It's an awesome car, but now that it's wrecked I'm seriously considering a Fiata. Why? Because as practical as the ST was, I never really had a need for the practicality. Sure it was cool to be able to throw some stuff in the back, but was it worth the extra weight? Not really.

At this point I desperately want something that corners really well and doesn't do much else. Is it practical? Nope. But fuck it, I have no significant other (which is a given), no kids, no real responsibilities except carting my dog around once in a while. If it's truly a burden after a month or two I'll go buy an older CR-V or something like that.

>Do they actually exist in such large numbers?
When you put all those groups together it's a big enough base of people that the cars sell, although I suspect there's not a market enough to handle more than one or two examples (at least in America). I sincerely doubt you'll see a Ford Miata-esque thing, or a Chevy, etc etc. Hell, I think the only reason Fiat got into is BECAUSE they could just build off the Miata. Who cares if it's a low sales number car, they didn't exactly sink a TON of money into making it, Mazda already handled that for them.

Forget the back seats and just get a first gen cayman.

They're marketed at anyone who wants their driving to be an experience. That's not something you get with a hatchback. Also as far as new enthusiast cars are concerned the miata is as cheap as they come. I'm not sure there's a car built from the ground up for enthusiasts which is cheaper than a miata. Maybe there's the hotted up versions of regular appliance cars but I can't think of a car designed with enjoyment as the primary value that costs less. And really that's your answer. People who want to enjoy their time in a car buy these things, and they buy them in huge numbers. I know Veeky Forums likes to throw stereotypes around but I see all kinds of people in miatas, older dudes, younger dudes, girls of all ages. Douchbags and genuinely awesome human beings all drive miatas.

>fix it again tony

I love roadsters and currently drive a NA MX-5 but I would never spend $30,000+ on something like a newer generation MX-5 or Fiata.

I would strongly consider a Porsche or BMW roadster as a hobby car to own but I agree with you for the most part I don't know who the fuck is buying these things

Because I can't slide my Si and the Miata was even easier to work on.

Reasons to Si over Miata:

>safety
>reliability
>better visibility
>no gay soft-top
>better quality interior and paint
>less bodyroll
>better in the winter

The Fiata is built by Mazda in Mazda plants with Mazda parts in glorious Nipon. It's fine.

Also re practicality. Plenty of people in places that aren't America live without cars day to day, so it's perfectly acceptable to have a car with two seats and little storage space, if you've gotta move something big it either gets delivered, you hire the appropriate vehicle or you have a friend help. Other than that the only downside is a lack of seats which isn't really a problem unless you're the local taxi for all your mates who don't have cars. Of course children are the only real practicality exception, it's never really feasible to have one as an only car when you have a child.

>The Fiata is built by Mazda in Mazda plants with Mazda parts in glorious Nipon. It's fine.

No worries m8, fiat will find a way to exert its influence...

I am 23 years old and I will buy a an MX-5 because I am looking for a lightweight car that is fun to drive and inspires confidence.

I don't care too much about practicality because I am alone. It has enough space for my groceries and other things.

Fiata > MIata

It combines Japanese engineering with Italian aesthetics. And if you have spare money you can buy the Abarth version wich is probably the best looking car ever made.

it's actually not very confidence inspiring when driving quickly

it rolls like a boat, feels like the car is going to flip while taking hard corners

I guess I will also test drive the Toyota GT86 and the Fiat 124, just in case.

What Miata are you driving? Or are you just a pussy? Try to check the suspension or try other Miatas because what you are saying it's not normal.

Hatchbacks are ugly and you can't get that open air feeling or hear the roaring engine sound with a hatchback.

That is true strictly for an NC with stock suspension. And seeing as no one who actually care about taking hard corners will leave the suspension of ANY miata stock, you're a fucking retard

You forgot the fact that the engine is made by Fiat.

ND rolls like a boat.

GT86 has limited grip, honestly just go for a decent condition AP2 S2000

Unlike a miata you don't really need to spend any money on mods for it to be fun.

>Employed 20 somethings...

Yea sounds about right. Got pic related out of college and into my engineering job, preowned of course. Chose this over a hatchback because I didn't need a bigger car as my family already had an SUV so if I ever need one i can swap it for the day.

The cars pretty fun to drive and prevents me from having to give multiple people rides as it's not possible.

Bonus points if you can figure out where the photo was taken. Live in the same city as some car YouTuber and this is always in his backgrounds.

tiger jones hunter?

Bingo!

Yea I live super close to that area and I noticed it in the videos

i like his vids but i wouldn't tell anyone irl that

His vids are honestly terrible. YouTube keeps recommending his videos.

Im going to wait a couple years to see how these Fiat 124s hold up. If they seem to hold together well Im going to definitely pick up one. Those Fiat 1.4s can be modded to deliver serious fucking HP.

Compared to the Miata/124 a Turbo Camaro is

>Faster
>Cheaper
>Better looking

Is Mazda even trying? They realize most Miata fags are poor as shit and wont be able to afford them until they're 20+ years old, right?

i like his vids mainly because of his entrepreneurial spirit (since I'm aspiring to run a business one day as well)

>Who are they targeted at?
Women and homosexuals.

You can't argue with that. I'm trying to do business too. Once I get set up might try to get in contact with him for a plug

Test drove a Fiata. It's like driving a road legal go kart. It was comfortable enough to where you can use it everyday. You can floor it all you want and still get good gas mileage. They're way over priced though. I don't see them worth over $25k but for the Abarth its $30k. Fuck that

>Camaro
>better looking
Shit taste pleb

>good gas mileage
The Fiata does 11km with a liter, that is NOT good.

>11km
>liter

bruh your country isnt relevant

Okay, Burma

9.XL/100km in a sports car is pretty good mate.
Not for a turbo 4, yes, but for a sports car it is.

Assmad Miata fangirl detected.

This.

If it was meant to be a sporty DD it wouldn't be a fucking convertible. As much as we all want exactly a fucking miata but with a fixed roof and a ittle more trunk space, it's not going to happen because that's such a small market segment.

i usually see older people driving these things

The Fiat 1.4l multi air is probably the best engine they've ever made, and it's widely recognised as a great reliable engine.

>Camaro
>good looking
>16 year old transformers fag detected

assmad Miata fangirls on suicide watch when a base model 4cylinder Camaro blows their doors off

Will Mazda EVER recover??????

Don't you have a ditch to slide into?

no cause I don't drive a noodle chassis Miata

>says the horse carriage chassis fag

Is it opposite day?

And I thought Miatas were for fags?

Turns out you can be a faggot no matter what you drive.

>talking about one of the most award cars known "for fun"
>>"NEEDS MODS TO BE FUN"
Nigger just shut up already
>pic related, my miata

assmad Camaro fangirl on suicide watch when a base 4 cylinder Miata can actually turn around a corner without flying into a tree

Will Chevy EVER recover?????

You know what the difference between a Mazda and a Chevrolet is?
One of these manufacturers has won LeMans... The other one will never recover xD

>insert ecoboost meme here.

>Chebby fag realizes no Chebby can turn, is reliable, or the fact that Chebby doesn't care about it's customers
>>"b-but LeMans!!!!"

Mazda has won Le Mans, the other is the one "that will never recover".

Stock Miata looks pretty gay.

I hope the Fiat/Mazda partnership is fruitful enough that Fiat has enough income to resurrect the Coupe as an RWD FR-S competitor.

Saw a Coupé yesterday as I was walking by the beach. That thing has aged well.

All miatas are gay

You're gay

>Veeky Forums in a nutshell...

I think most Bangle cars age well. This, the Ford Cougar, the E60 5-series, the E65 7-series. They are all handsome looking cars

>Bangle cars
>google 'cause I'm ignorant
>find out he designed the Z4
Makes me think: why nobody here talks about that car? After all it's a roadster: it should be a direct competitor of the Miata.

The Z4 is in a completely different price range than the Miata.

Not used ones.