What is the best 4 cylinder for modding/power? What is the SBC of 4 cylinders?

What is the best 4 cylinder for modding/power? What is the SBC of 4 cylinders?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t5Dbp_SuMHE
youtube.com/watch?v=y-IEpoD32Ho
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

F22

3sgte

S14

950sbc

WHAT THE FUCK

damn

>What is the SBC of 4 cylinders?
toss up.
You'll end up choosing between the Honda K-series, Mitsubishi 4G63, and the GM Ecotec.

However, I would like to point out the GM Ecotec was actually referred to as the next generation small block Chevy at one point because of how modular it was, how easy to modify it was, and how much it loves to be modified.

top keck.

this, even the pistons are forged from honda. Only downside is high compression which can be fixed with a headgasket.
That being said, I just realized you didn't mention F/I vs NA, in which case this is one of the worse engines for making power N/A.

If we're talking about replacing internals, then there's not much point to this thread because at that point, budget permitting, you can make any engine do what you want.

delete this and go away.

BMW M10

You mean "not necessarily the best but fucking everywhere and fucking cheap with massive aftermarket support"?

VW 1.8T, used in both longitudinal and transverse applications and takes boost like a champ. Just make sure to change the oil in time to avoid sludge.

but the 1.8T is nowhere near as reliable as the SBC.

4G6

youtube.com/watch?v=t5Dbp_SuMHE

>What is the SBC of 4 cylinders?
I don't get it, you want a LOLHEUG push rod, outdated, OHC 2V example of a 4 cylinder?

>Volkswagen

>Try to drive it
>breaks
>Butterfly lands on it
>breaks
>Look at it wrong
>breaks

It also doesn't make 12HP for each 1.5L cylinder either. The SBC is only "reliable" because it's so underpowered.

That's why the DZ302 exists. Look it up.

>memeing this hard

>using an extra thick gasket to lower compression

they're all the fucking same. blocks dont make power heads do.

>they're all the fucking same

>What is the best 4 cylinder for modding/power?
>posts an inline

Hello nocars

Lmao, even in the bike world v4 are SHIT

Boxer, cunt

Honda K Series or Nissan SR20

>>using an extra thick gasket to lower compression

>not filing down the rings to modify compression

Heh pays to have a G1 ASE and actually know wtf the fuck im talking about. You got to when you wrench for a living....

>Boxer
>Good
AHAHAHA

LMAO, EVEN WORSE!

Enjoy spending 10k to make an extra 100hp, subarufag

>boxer

unpopular but most honest answer is probably the GM ecotec when trying to find the sweet spot between reliability and making power that said k24/k20 are far more popular

I hope you're joking. You really can't tell with this board.

itt everyone thinks their favorite engine is the best

>boxer
>boxer
>le boxer XD

you kids mean a Kontra, right?

Not sure what the best is, but I've always had a soft spot for the 4AGE in its different versions. Had the 20V and a turbo small port and loved them.

first post is in reference to the F22c btw

K20

>Pushrod
>OHC

Pick one

Simple answer is a K series but I watched a B series beat a GTR in a drag race at Import Face Off by 0.178 seconds so the B still has some serious balls with enough work.

youtube.com/watch?v=y-IEpoD32Ho

>Civic 10.720 @ 148.63
>GTR 10.898 @ 125.15

Thought it was just a bad GTR driver but stock ones do about that time in a quarter mile.

a citation less forum post is no different to screen capping what user says on Veeky Forums

Mazda FE3 Built really strong to take boost yet it's NA

Honda K series.

Any other answer is wrong.

It's in every car Honda makes, so there are literally millions of them in cars every year around the world.

Which is partly what made the small block chevy so popular. Easy to find parts and work on. Easy to get power out of. And sounded great, which the Honda does not sound great, at all.

GM L850 was built for boost

I know the ford pinto engine is not the best 4 cylander.

but it is practically better than everything else.

The Ecotec is in that same category. They're in small trucks, family cars, luxury cars, and sports cars. All with various forms of inductions and displacements.

Fords ecoboost four bangers are getting 600hp out of those rallycross fiestas.

Saw a video on YouTube with a 1000hp Subaru sti. I believe it was still using an ej25. Maybe it was a custom made block, I don't remember.

4g63 stronk

KEEP YA CRANK WALK STROOOOOOOONG

Look honey, I don't know if you're mentally retarded or not, but better engines have been posted in this thread.
See that Ecotec 4 cylinder? That thing make 1400 HP and does 7 second 1/4 miles. The block itself is unmodified and the engine is only 2.0L

is that an american ecotec? the opel ecotec engines are pure shit and don't even hold up at stock power

yes. The American Ecotec. You Europeans did get versions of it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

volvo b230

You clearly dont have a clue what you are talking about. They might leak some oil but power is something those are pretty good for.

Are there any decent websites to pickup engine blocks other than ebay/CL?

BP can handle 250hp on stock internals when done properly. Built in oil squirters for the pistons too. Upgrade the rods and see 450hp+ safely.

Until the camshaft wears out in 75k miles

>BP can handle 250hp on stock internals when done properly
so can the N/A Ecotecs.

>built in oil squirters for the pistons too
The 2.0L Ecotecs have this. The squirters bolt right onto the N/A blocks.

>Upgrade the rods and see 450hp+ safely.
upgrade the rods and pistons in the Ecotec and you can see 500 HP safely before having to look into a forged crank.

Is that an air filter on the PCV? It's not going in a Starlet is it?

Saab B204

Huh, those apparently came in the first gen Kia Sportage, which is shit, but it's AWD or RWD, which points to longitudinal engine placement.

>before having to look into a forged crank.
Check mate. BP comes with a forged crank.
>so can the N/A Ecotecs.
the Opel Ecotecs are nice, but you're comparing two different engine displacements. Besides, 500whp isn't even impressive for a stock NA 2.0L, let alone one with rods/pistons.

Mazda B engines were developed in the 80's vs. Ecotec's 00's technology. BP's are easier to swap into various donor vehicles because megasquirt. You can see upwards of 600hp with fully built ones.
Eco's are great engines too though, especially the DI variants.

Actually Ecotecs are based on a engine designed in the 70's.

>Besides, 500whp isn't even impressive for a stock NA 2.0L, let alone one with rods/pistons.

In real life it is.

Let me rephrase that
>It's kind of impressive, but nothing new.
>It's entirely unimpressive with custom engine internals.

Could you please make a list for me with 2.0 stock NA engines that can hold more than 500whp with stock internals? And those stock NA engines you could call impressive?

I could, but..... nah.
>t; at least 2 were already mentioned ITT

3S-GE

There are a few different ecotecs. GM reused the name for at least two different engines. The l850 ecotec has little to do with the pre2000 ecotec.

bump

It doesn't matter if it does a 4 second 1/4. Honda inline 4's are hands down the worst sounding production engine. That generic high pitched rasp is horrific.

it came in the 4 gen mazda 626 in Europe . it comes 120HP stock but can apparently take up to 600HP with forced induction.

3rz-fe

Vw AP

K series is bretty good. Honestly your not going to find anything that compares to the SBC or LS or even Ford modular for aftermarket Lego status. Truth is 4 bangers either get boost or don't make teh big numbers.

Why you want a 4 banger anyway? I'm a v8 rwd fag myself...that already 300+hp stock f-body for less than a ep3...that power before 5400rpms...what is avg hp not peak? All the 4 banger guys go on and on about fuel economy but are you into preformance or appliance? Also my 4th gen gets 22mpg avg and if your honda could keep up it wouldn't get 28mpg avg anymore either. Takes fuel to make power.

>thread about 4cyl
>talks about 8cyl

Yeah, but the Kia ones are the ones you want to swap into a Miata. You lose nothing of value and the block is the same except for lower compression, which is ideal if you're gonna boost it anyway, and it's set up for FR layout already.

OP specifically refrenced SBC...a V8 if you're under educated. I also voted for a k series as best current 4 banger imho...that's a Honda inline 4 if you're unaware. But good job contributing to the conversation.

I think number of cylinders is least important when choosing a car. Engine and drive layout being what you want is most important. Just about anything can make 3-400whp which is more than enough for street fun and easily beating 97% of what's on the road.

Go away japfaggots.

It is and has always been the Cosworth YB.

OP was asking about 4 cylinders that were easy to modify you fucking monkey. The SBC was only mentioned because of its aftermarket.

2.3/10 troll. Try harder.

No need to be embarrassed by your retardation. Its an anonymous board.

I can shitpost too.

Well this can only benefit OP. Come at me bro.

Come at me when you can reach the pedals and the wheel at the same time. Seriously go troll b. Some of us where actually hoping for car conversation in here. Hard for you to contribute when you've only ever driven your dad's shit box on a dirt road in his lap and have no automotive experience.

>tries to derail a thread by talking about V8s
>hoping for a car conversation

pick one faggot

>Helps me derail thread by wasting each other's time. And starting teh trolling.
>contributes nothing.
>acts superior.

>yfw im OP

So you asked a stupid question then contribute nothing further. Best 4 banger is the one you got cause you're clearly not gonna be swapping anything.

Superior four banger coming through.

>Honestly your not going to find anything that compares to the SBC or LS or even Ford modular for aftermarket Lego status.
Yes you will.
It's called Ecotec.

>2017
>pistons
>cylinders
>heads
>cranks
TURBO KEK

>1975+42
>apex seals

>Thinks the Ecotec has the same aftermarket as SBC. Modular...maybe.

Cute.

Except Ecotec is shit performance compared to the K-series screamers.

>aftermarket
Looks like we got a credit card tuner over here

>3S-GE
>holding 500whp on stock internals
You must be an American, with those funny reading dynos.

Ecotecs don't scream but they love boost.
Not being a screamer doesn't make it a bad engine or make it a shit performer. The Ecotec is honestly the closest competition the K-series has.