Comparing two things ? [Help]

Hi anons,

I have a research paper to write as a mechanical engineer.

I'm looking for a car related subject:

>The key is that I have to be able to compare two things [they can't be too general]
>I also need to talk about three criteria when it comes to comparing those two things.
Ex: fuel economy, weight reduction, etc.
>Finally there has to be lots of prior research about those two things.

If anybody can help i would really appreciate it.

Some guy is already talking about carbon fiber chassis compared to steel [ he won't be discussing cost that's for sure ...]

Thank you.

Maybe be able two talk about two rival engines ? or two sorts of rivaling engines

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-qhVOW--QSs
youtube.com/watch?v=LK54bySPAXA
yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/V6-Offshore-4_2L/features
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_2300_engine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Imp
ngfglasscord.com/en-gb/news/latest-news/nsg-glasscord-belt-in-oil-features-in-new-ford-ecoboost-engine
superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1006chp-cylinder-head-port-design/)
scarbsf1.com/valves.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Big block V8s versus small block V8s? I dunno.

Answers in the pic bro. Compare belt driven cams to chain driven.

can you give me the cubic inches. also how drastic did car companies change them when in use ?

I'll look into that it honestly didn't come to my mind.
but what would be the three criteria that i could look into to compare these two ?

not much to talk about though, belts only last x miles, chains have more unsprung mass. etc.

OP would be better off talking about how mazda is able to push 14:1 compression ratios using 87 octane fuel or something. tons of different science in there. or why certain cars are considered more "reliable" than other cars (what makes a car reliable)

OP Here,

So in general i guess i can talk about reliability since one needs regular tensioning and changing...
anything else...
need two more criteria.

Hi notamiata,

So assuming i do take this subject, what would i be comparing it to ? The issue is i need to compare it to something, with a minimum of three criteria. finally concluding which is better ...

Do it on Iron vs Aluminum blocks.

They both have plenty of info to drone on about. Hell you might be able to write to the automakers and get technical info from them. It will be enough to make your teacher/professor hang himself.

Chain driven cams vs. Belt driven cams: durability, cost to replacement, ease of manteinance.

There you go.

I think user you have hit the spot.

by any chance can you give me three criterias that can be compared quickly.

1.Weight reduction
2. Cost would be a negative for aluminum
3.aluminum non magnetic
4. i believe "iron will be more durable"

What points can you give me so that i may defend aluminum. I tend to want to defend the less used and sportier solution... also since it would make it slightly more controversial.

Thank you,

but the issue with that is I have two write a 8-10 page research paper, which has to be backed up by lots and lots of modern research. I doubt i can have enough substance.

Thank you.

Thank you

If anyone else has any ideas please keep them coming.

>Maybe be able two talk about two rival engines
>Big block V8s versus small block V8

unless OP is in highschool he's going to look like a total retard.

You could investigate how the shape of a combustion chamber affects things like heat dissipation into the surrounding head, force exerted on the piston per stroke, gas flow, resistance to knocking/pinging, mechanical wear to the head etc...
then to conclude you could propose suitable applications for all types you investigated

How about novel valve actuation techniques? Compare DOHC to a valvetrain operated by hydraulic/electric/pneumatic actuators and research feasibility, how it could affect performance, heat dissipation from the cylinder head, MTBF, systematic efficiency etc....
then to conclude you could propose suitable applications for each valvetrain type

plenty of things to research. lots of interesting mechanical challenges on cars m8

sorry, was supposed to link to OP

some chains have self tensioning links
also there are alternate types of tensioner not in automotive use
youtube.com/watch?v=-qhVOW--QSs
youtube.com/watch?v=LK54bySPAXA

OP here,
Thank you very precise info and I'm loving it.

However, the main issue with the first one is i need to compare two specific things so when it comes to pistons, i would need specific sizes or else i can compare rotary/wankle piston to the regular piston[ assuming i give specific size]

As for the novel valve actuation technique it sounds even better.

So just to summarize:
>Subject: Valve Actuation Techniques.
>Comparing: DOHC V/S Valvetrain operated by [hydraulic, etc.]

>The three criteria:
1.Feasibility
2. Preformance increase
3. Heat dissipation from cylinder
4. MTBF [basically which is more reliable]
5.systematic efficiency [i would connect that two feasibility.

However, in the end this is a persuasive research paper. So i would end up concluding one to be better.

>user which would you suggest i defend in this research paper ?

Yes, I looked into it as soon as i saw the subject of timing belts V/S chains. Nevertheless the tension-er would only help in defending the reliability case. also some belts have also added a external tension system... so they are kind of balanced. [other than the fact that one needs changing.

>less used and sportier solution
yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/V6-Offshore-4_2L/features
this boat motor has and alloy head with no iorn cylender lineings
insted the surface is harded with plasma

>here are some alloy blocks known for contributing to failure
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_2300_engine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Imp

oil submerged belts are a thing now too
ngfglasscord.com/en-gb/news/latest-news/nsg-glasscord-belt-in-oil-features-in-new-ford-ecoboost-engine

Talk about turbo charged versus naturally aspirated
Then you have a very wide difference, and you can choose which one you want to side with because they both have their pros and cons

>you can choose which one you want to side with because they both have their pros and cons
>taking sides in an investigative paper
are you 10

I was going to say compare turbos and superchargers, but if you're going to use timing tech, I'd say compare reliability, temperature performance or friction, noise?

>However, in the end this is a persuasive research paper. So i would end up concluding one to be better.
Lol know your shit before you make an autist of yourself

Cast Iron block vs forged aluminum block.

Thermal expansion and tolerance issues
Manufacturing differences
Crash safety effects
And from a design perspective, doesn't the inherent strength difference mean that an iron block engine would be overbuilt compared to an otherwise aluminum engine? Choosing to use iron might allow you to make a different smaller block with the same structural integrity, mitigating some of the weight disadvantage right?

No worries, l'm just trying to help. However, when you say:
>in the end this is a persuasive research paper. So i would end up concluding one to be better
is that the objective? Because an investigative paper just examines two approaches and concludes whatever the findings are - whether one is outright better, they are both the same, both are suited to specific applications etc...
the focus is less on being able to say that one is better than the other, but rather determining what exactly each option is better at. sorry if i'm going on a bit here but that just confused me.

regarding what you were saying before:
>i need to compare two specific things

using my first example, you could perhaps compare two combustion chamber shapes (like hemispherical vs cylindrical) against three criteria (read this article, about halfway down a guy talks about three key factors in cylinder head dynamics superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1006chp-cylinder-head-port-design/)

using my second example, you could perhaps compare a traditional valvetrain to a hydraulically actuated one:

You could assume a 6 cylinder engine operating over a 6000rpm range. To investigate the feasibility of a hydraulically actuated valvetrain, you could examine:

1) Additional equipment size and cost (so, total engine packaging)
2) Potential performance increase (maybe it could be tunable for optimum lift/duration/timing for every point in the 6000rpm range...)
3) MTBF

Using these you could argue the pros and cons of each system.
You probably will find out that you'd need a huge hydraulic powerpack to actuate all of the valves, but you'll have at least done some original work which would get you marks.

OP here, sitting in my ODE'S Class.
Wanted to thank you all for your help.
I'll be writing my research proposal tonight and if the thread stays alive i'll let you know how it went.

Thank you once again

So, what did you decide?

Also if you haven't decided yet, regarding the hydraulic/pneumatic valvetrains i talked about earlier - Renault used pneumatic valve actuation in F1 in the 80's and it was great. Also, a lot of the MotoGP bikes now use them.
As for hydraulics, I think MAN are currently developing stuff.
The other option is electromagnetic which would be god tier as it would be completely frictionless actuation thus eliminating a huge heat source from the engine.

I have just finished writing and will be submitting my research proposal.

The wankel engine vs the boxer engine.

comapring the fuel economy, weight reduction, oil use, MTBF, etc.
Lots of content.

OHV, DOHC, SOHC could work

I also wanted to add that this is my first year in Mech Eng, second semester. This course is basically letting us know on how we write research papers. That's why the subject I chose was something that already had lots of info on.

Personally I wanted to write about optimizing fog lights however the Prof. said "You can't optimize you can only work on comparing...". Which kind of pissed me off, since I wanted to bring something new.

Why not do an inline 4 vs a flat 4? It wouldn't be that difficult and you can probably find engines with the same compression and displacement around the same age to eliminate variable. You could measure
1)handling effect (center of gravity)
2)weight
3)performance
4)cost (reliability/matinence)

Seems much easier than a material difference as with Iron and Aluminum as it's more of a technological advancement vs two conflicting technologies.

I also wanted to Thank you very much for your help and support.
Personally I would have invited you for a beer and brought you with us [my friend and I] to the auto show happening this week.

Nevertheless. Thank you very much user.

OOOOOH. Just finished writing my research proposal.
Comparing Boxer to Wankel.

If i cant get info. I will switch to that. If you only spoke earlier. Its cool since I'm allowed to change subject if things go sour.

Inline vs. V configuration?

too many inline and to many V's

so it would have to be specific.

That's a good idea too, just more complicated with more variables.

Flat vs inline you might be able to get down to just one variable, piston orientation.

Best of luck to you m8! I'm an Aerospace Engineering Major in my Sophomore year.

Petrol vs diesel this isnt hard guys

I'm hoping i can get my masters in aerospace... I hope it works out.

too vague.

No worries mate, I had fun pondering it. Sorry if my suggestions were ill defined - I'm an EE grad so my mechanical knowledge isn't particularly refined.

As for stifling professors: get used to it. I found uni incredibly stifling. Unless you work on your reputation as a good student from day one, they are unlikely to let you wander from their strict briefs. Remember that they are primarily hired as research fellows so lecturing is a secondary objective to them, hence setting strict briefs to make for easy marking.

Personally if you haven't made too much of a start, I'd definitely consider this user . Information should be plentiful, it will make for a much more relevant comparison and should be a genuinely good read. I'd be interested in reading your final piece even if it is just a 10 page research topic.

Anyway whatever you decide to do, have fun with it. Chasing a grade is so much easier when you're having fun with your subject matter.

Your suggestions were very well put and organized. I simply stayed away from them in fear that i might not find enough info. The citation have to be recent.

I will most probably switch to the inline 4 vs boxer 4 cylinder, since i'm allowed to do so . I just have to hand a research proposal before 12 tonight.
Personally I'm not the sort of person to leave things for last minute. As i previously mentioned i had written one about fog lights but when i asked the prof in class she denied it.

If it goes well i will post it online and leave a thread by the end of the semester on Veeky Forums.

Out of Curiosity, what country are you from and what uni did you graduate from.

Im from Canada.

>pneumatic valve actuation
how do they stop moisture build up in the air lines ?
some of the more high pressure systems can also form ice

Throwing my hat in here; look at the performance differences between turbo and super charged engines. You can compare fuel economy, cost, and general performance in daily and race situations

i was very close of doing that... but i felt it was a bit of a meme...

My bad I only did a quick googling - the pneumatic systems actually in use are just pneumatic valve 'springs'.

scarbsf1.com/valves.html
This link has good info on it. It also details the prototype hydraulic valve actuation, which is camless.

Nice, I look foward to reading it.
btw i'm from the UK and graduated from the University of Nottingham

Miata Vs FRS?

Talk about suspensions, as a mech engineer it should be pretty easy to get into the details of the physics involved.

You could compare front suspension design. McPherson vs double wishbone for example.

Just a few pros and cons to get you started:
Mcpherson pros: cheap, lightweight, good compromise between handling and cost, minimal horizontal space required (doesn't get too much in the way of the engine bay or the luggage compartment if it's a rear suspension), reliable, gives more freedom for engine bay design, less parts involved.

Cons: it's a compromise so it won't shine in any particular field (it lacks camber compensation, for example), lots of vertical space required, little to no adjustments possible, high scrub radius.

Double wishbone pros: much more customisable (pretty much every race car today uses this layout at the front and the back), has much better handling characteristics, less vertical space, struts and springs can be placed where you want (road cars usually have them positioned diagonally between the lower control arm and a mounting point on the chassis, race cars usually have them somewhere in the chassis, operated by pushrods and rocker arms)

Cons: more expensive, more horizontal space required, more parts involved

>university of Nottingham

You poor cunt. I live here and I wish I didn't. I hope you fucking drove to the other side of the country once you got out.

Just do the differences between the Corvette Z06 and the Nissan GTR.

Three criteria: the company ethos behind each car and their resultant differences in character, the manufacturing differences and choice of components, and why one is always being BTFO where one is always BTFOing.

Living in Bristol now.
I kinda miss Nottingham in a strange way. I had a lot of fun at uni and housing there was ridiculously cheap.
I had a two bed flat in the park estate for the last year. shit was so cash.
Which part of the city do you live in?

>3 more torque
>400lbs heavier
great win that one

8% better power to weight ratio
2.2 seconds a lap seems quite convincing.