Is pic related the best car for snow that I can get for 30k or less?

Is pic related the best car for snow that I can get for 30k or less?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9F5JJYC7s-g
youtube.com/watch?v=NQBdOnfTS9k
youtube.com/watch?v=sd6weZXYqcg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wrx

Jeep a shit
Subaru awd is shit compared to actual 4x4

That or a 4x4 truck, both better have a locker in the rear. 4x4 with a locker(s) beats even the best AWD systems in the snow. You can slam into a curb with a truck and keep going, Do that in a Subaru and you'll need a flat bed and new control arms. If you slide into a ditch in a 4x4 you might have a slight chance of getting out, good luck doing that in a Subaru with 3 inches of ground clearance.

A locker in the rear helps, but it ain't a necessity. An open diff is adequate, and an LSD is much more than adequate.
Agreed on the 4x4>AWD though.

Find a clean example of an early 90s f150 and spend the rest on mawds

Even my legacy GT has almost 7 inches, you'd have to have a stupidly low one to have that little clearance

STis have 3 limited-slips. Just lift one.

I had a '14 JK Sport-S manual (sold it last week) and the open-diffs bothered me even on wet pavement.

I had an STi while I lived in Flint, MI. I could easily drive normally where lifted 4x4s had stopped or spun.

This is bullshit.

Source: went from 4x4 pickup to AWD Range Rover. The Rover is a pleasure to drive in the snow, blows the pickup away.

A used FJ cruiser or any Subaru.

Trucks need a lot of weight in the bed to get traction. The RR probably weighs 2000lbs more which helps with traction.

It's so rare to see a Wrangler on anything less than 33s that this looks modded

No the weight is about the same, just googled it. You make a valid point about a pickup being light in the rear, although I had a QCSB so it wasn't too bad. Still I prefer a new AWD system.(real AWD like Land Rover, Subaru, etc.)

To be fair the pickup didn't even have traction control and I'm sure that would have helped a bit.

>Subaru awd is shit compared to actual 4x4

4wd Honda CR-V

My 03 Outback has 7 inches of clearance kill yourself

>part time 4wd with short wheelbase
>good for snow

Buddy has a 2010 forester.
Couldnt get out of my snowy driveway.
I have a light pickup with 4x4.
I can get out with no real effort
Subaru awd cant compete

1 - Subaru actually has several, very different AWD systems. Manual ones get the best.

1A - There is variability within the different systems, like some may have open rear diffs, some may have mechanical LSDs; many STi versions got the DCCD center diff.

2 - Traction control can really fuck up even a good mechanical system's best efforts.

3 - Tires are a pretty important factor.

>buying a heep wrongler when land cruisers exist
hoo boy

i would get a snowmobile

I'd take a 4x4 pickup (smallest I could find) over a Wrangler, just because I'd expect them to be better insulated... and single cabs would have less interior space, making them quicker to warm up inside.

Use some sandbags to compensate for the lack of weight in the back.

i'm from the snow belt. i've had three explorers all were awesome i the snow.

>short wheelbase
My TJ was horrible on ice, make sure you get a LSD

jeeps suck ass on ice and snow except at very slow conditions. their wheelbase is so short they are squirrely as fuck.

>born in raised in Alaska
>owned two jeeps

>never again

Something a good 4x4 & locking rear diff on proper winter tires is the best you'll get

You'll also want something thats quite heavy and that you can fit smaller, thinner wheels on for best on-road performance, while in the deep snow a Jeep like that on siped & studded MT tires will be a good pick

Just get yourself an Eagle.

>paying the toyota tax when it'll just rust away anyways

>slammed into a curb at the bottom of a hill with my 06 corolla in about a ft ½ of snow
>loud bang, aw I'm fucked
>steering wheel vibrating like a motherfucker and jumping around as i try to crawl up this big ass hill at an inch per minute
>get in garage, inspect car
>rim is slightly bent, that's the only damage
this thing may not be super cool and hip but damn its indestructible
>tbone guy going ~35mph
>leave with a cracked bumper and slightly pinched hood

Corollas are for some reason badass as fuck. Car has Hit and been hit several times and it's only a few scratches and dents while the other cars have basically been destroyed
>car rear ended me
>Corolla only has rear light broken
>newer Honda front bumper destroyed
>driver looks like Glen from TWD
>friends see drive
>my nickname is now negan cuz I murder glen's car

> drive up a high curb at 60km/hr
> CV boot tore and a wheel weight came off

2004 Volvo

jeeps are terrible in snow... they are good for snow wheeling yet, but as far as going from point a to point b in a snowstorm i would take any subaru first..

a jeep is too short wheelbased, suspension is too rough, and tires are too wide

>quicker to warm up inside because its smaller ....

where you driving... hoff?

Clearly non of these fags have driven through more than a foot of now. That criteria automatically disqualifies any low ground clearance car. Get the Wrangler.

I'll have you know, I easily tackled a good four inches of snow many times the three winters I had my Merc - I know what snow is all about

Don't skip HEIGHT day

>lies: the post

I had a 2005 base impreza that i used to park in the street all winter in chicago. When i needed to use it i'd start it up without even shoveling and just drive over the 24"+ of snow surrounding my car. Didnt even have snow tires. Fuck off with your lies faggot.

No you didnt

>Subaru awd is shit
On roads AWD is superior to 4x4 even in deep snow and especially in slick / icy conditions, off road is a different story

gotta love 95 hp engines

Excellent argument, thank you for putting me in my place.

You dont need awd.
It helps you take off. Which can be done in 2wd or by clicking a button into 4x4. Then once moving back into 4x2.
You did not just drive over 2 feet of snow you moron.

Except i did, and it was easy. You can go on youtube and type in "subaru in deep snow" if youre actually this ignorant of their AWD system's capabilities.

No

Even better. High power in snow is not a good thing.

no he's right. your buddy with the forester probably high centered his shit on a icepack. sub's can easily push through 24" of new fallen snow.

No.

youtube.com/watch?v=9F5JJYC7s-g
Da

4x4 fags on suicide watch

yeah, he did exactly what i said he did.

No
No

fuck off back to /ORG/
you jeep haters got your own containment thread. stay there.

Lol jeep a shit

youtube.com/watch?v=NQBdOnfTS9k

YES

You're alright for a tripfag. I only have a problem with all the 4x4/awd experts here who live in some faggy suburb outside of a shithole city.
This
Your fucking Subaru would never make it up here before plowing. Its why I have to shuttle my friends who bring their Subaru's and awd shitboxes a mile to my house if the road hasn't been plowed.

>and then there's a hill

>land cruisers exist
>is a burger
WHERE!?

No

youtube.com/watch?v=sd6weZXYqcg

"It's a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand..."

you can spam all the operator error pictures you want. the only difference between your truck and his forester in terms of snow driving is ground clearance, which is a function of tire size and little to do with the drivetrain.

l2drive

>$90,000.00

Thanks China

So youre saying the truck is superior.
And awd is shit compared to 4x4.
Thanks.
>stuck with studs on
Kek awd a shit

>This damage control

>this delusional

if you think retard proof is superior, sure.

thanks for admitting you're retarded.

>lol retard!
Not an argument.

Had an '89 Isuzu Trooper II that was pretty fucking good when it came to snow.

>superior equipment is retarded
Hahahahaha

Winter vs all season tires. Both of those vehicles look fucking pathetic. You shouldn't need to be bouncing off the rev limiter to do that.

>Superior Equipment
>Does everything a Subaru can do while costing more for gas and handles worse

>Subaru get stuck in 2 inches of snow
Kek
>doesnt even have low range
Pathetic

>training wheels on a bicycle make it easier to ride
>training wheels therefore are superior equipment

sure buddy.

>Needing low range to drive through snow

And i suppose you dont have electricity or running water then?

>cars make it easier to get placed
>therefor they are stupid
Subaru fags are this dumb

Like I said, they all live in suburbs outside of shithole cities and have never truly had to depend on their car in the most horrid conditions in the middle of nowhere. No, a few inched of snow and/or ice is not very bad.

I love the cognitive dissonance you have, all of the evidence is going against your opinion yet you still cling to it like a child.

>locker in the snow
you're special

An LSD is much more suitable.

I live in rural Canada friend, My Subaru has never let me down

What evidence?
Youll NEVER convince me or anyone with a brain that awd is better for anything significant.
Especially when i spend all day pulling awd vehicles out from being stuck in a few inches of snow with my LIGHT 4x4.
Thats all the evidence i need. First hand experience of awd being shitty.

This.
Subaru fags dont know what real shit conditions are.

Almost every youtube video in this thread? proving that Subarus can and do go through snow everyday. I live in the sticks, lots of people have 4x4s here and i see tons in the snow just the same as corollas and every other car. You can't fix driver error not matter what vehicle you drive.

All we're saying is, for deep snow, more ground clearance is a necessity. You're just getting butthurt and taking it as a personal insult to your car of choice.

Subaru's are superior for on-road driving with some ice and light snow; not climbing hills with a lot of snow and other offroad obstacles.

I can post just as many youtube vids of stuck subarus.
Your point is invalid.

Tyres>diff>drivetrain.

You don't want your tires spinning at all in the snow, which is partly why Haldex awd sucks dick. I don't see people driving in the arctic with LSD's or setting altitude records with LSD's.

You've probably never driven in snow...

Look all im saying is you don't need a 4x4 to drive on the road in winter, I have driven through 2 feet of snow on roads with no problems and have gone up hills (roads) with snow no problem. 4x4 really shines in the bush crawling over rocks and logs and 5 ft deep snow etc but for day to day daily driving it is unnecessary and no better than an AWD car.

Youre delusional

Jeep owner here
i drive an 01 wrangler, and its terrible in the snow
the 4wd can only be used in super terrible road conditions, so like blizzard snow with more than a few inches, since its part time 4wd
the car itself is rear wheel drive, and I'm fine driving in the snow, but awd would make it a hell of a lot easier. my all terrain tires help a lot though
in my opinion, the newer jeeps are shit. while they are much more powerful than my jeep, with a 4.0 straight six, and they are a HELL of a lot better on the road, and much more comfortable to drive, they, in my opinion, aren't fun to drive.
id recommend an older jeep, 2006 or before. they suck on the road, get awful gas mileage, and i mean are just vehicular jokes, as an actual car, they are awful, but thats the thing, older jeeps arent cars, they're jeeps, and thats what makes them awesome, and fun as hell, plus girls love them.

TL;DR wranglers suck as practical on road vehicles but thats the charm, buy a subaru or something with AWD

pic related, my jeep

>Youll NEVER convince me or anyone with a brain that awd is better for anything significant.

yeah, you are straight retarded. there is almost no functional difference between AWD and 4x4. the only thing that 4x4's typically have is ground clearance due to larger tires.

and if that extra ride height is the only thing keeping you from getting stuck, you need to git fuckin' gud.

a set of winter tyres and muh diesel

>there is almost no functional difference between AWD and 4x4.
Spotted the retard

Stop running hard ass AT mud tires in winter dumbass. Jeepfags and Brotrucks do this and wonder why they get stuck or wind up in the ditch.

>AT mud tires

They can do just fine with some siping and perhaps a few studs. BFG AT is passable even in stock form, although nothing special (especially on ice), Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac can be quite good on all winter areas while proper MT tires eat the shit out of deep snow

Hardly, you can't seem to believe reality

>best car for snow
so ah, if you mean winter driving on well maintained roads that have some snow and ice on them.... then I'll say that Subaru's AWD is relatively idiot proof - you don't need to know anything about transfer cases or differentials. Of course with PHD (press here dummy) technology comes lots of hidden complexity and much higher maintenance and service cost.

If you actually have to drive on poorly maintained roads or have to drive in snow so deep that you can't tell where the curb or sign posts or mail boxes or rocks are, then driving a Subaru (or really any car that says it has AWD but is still basically a car) is asking for trouble.
In that situation I'd get a dedicated Winter Beater 4WD, and put on a very mild lift so that you have an honest 10" or 12" of ground clearance and let you use some deep tread all-terrain tires. I'm thinking something like a 1990-1999 Toyota 4Runner that you can shift between 2H - 4H - 4L and a center and rear locker.

My point really is that in deep snow conditions your car IS going to hit stuff you can't see, and that's why I'd rather drive a BEATER 4WD Truck slowly that have some fancy-ass Subaru Audi whatever car that's going to get $10,000 damage the first foot-deep sink hole or hidden rock I drive into.

I'm running AT-S 315/70/r17s. It makes driving through deep snow boring.

/thread

Geolandars?

Yes. I thought they would at most be mediocre for snow use but they've exceeded my expectations. Late last year, Yokohama made them more "highway friendly", but I got the series before that.