Car advice from mechanics

Why do auto mechanics insist on giving car advice and why do regular people listen to them?

1. They're so stupid they barely finished high school and couldn't get a real job
2. They're so poor that they'll own any of the cars that regular people actually buy.
3. Their own cars are rust buckets that they plan to "fix up"
4. They only ever see cars that have broken down.
5. They'll remember one or two problems from 10 years ago and extrapolate that to every current model from that manufacturer

Other urls found in this thread:

carbuzz.com/news/2016/12/9/Despite-Slow-Sales-The-Toyota-GT86-Will-Stay-Around-For-A-2nd-Generation-7736789/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because we're actually educated in the automotive field. We give the best advice in terms of what you should with your vehicle. Do you know how good it feels to repair a customer vehicle and get them back on the road? Or to save them hundreds of dollars? You wouldn't understand because you know nothing. And every couple of months your back in my shop because your car is making some fucking noise that you heard once like 6 months ago so you think your car is going to blow up.

We are the men and women that keep the world turning. With blood sweat and 1 busted knuckle at a time. Have some fucking respect.

LMAO WAT A FAG

Who do you get your advice from? Shitposters on Veeky Forums?

>XDDDDDDDD

>Why do auto mechanics insist on giving car advice
Where are you going where you are talking to a mechanic instead of a service writer? And why are you going there instead of fixing your own car if you know everything?

>We are the men and women that keep the world turning.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You're a mechanic not a machinist m8.

model specific forums with real world reviews

I was a mechanic for 12 years at a high end shop. I made good money, had 2 S4's and an M5 while working there. I didn't want any of my family bringing their cars to me. I didn't want people like OP bringing their cars to me. So it's all good.

>Do you know how good it feels to repair a customer vehicle and get them back on the road? Or to save them hundreds of dollars?

It probably feels real good when you charge them thousands for a simple fix and claim to save them hundreds.

>we're actually educated
>your back in my shop

wew

Who in the world would go to a female mechanic?

Are you a ranger yet?

Nobody on earth is as clueless about cars as posters from forums dedicated to cars.
>customer brings me 10 page print out from a forum
>it explains how engine timing works
>the poster suggested that mechanics don't usually time the engines when doing a major service on this car

I've NEVER had a customer that thought he had something figured out actually have any clue. Fortunately I almost never have to interact with customers directly except NVH rides but I can see in the notes on the repair order how proud of themselves they are that they have it all figured out from the internet to save you diag time. You did my work for me, thanks, I should pay you!

>replaces spark plugs and changes oil
>we're saving the world!

>customer brings me 10 page print out from a forum

kek, proving point #5 in the OP

>it happened once
>all car forums must be bad!

the question was about car advice. Actual owners of the cars are far more qualified to tell you about how the cars hold up than one high school dropout that only sees a car once there's a problem

Nope, Tacoma

Sorry, let me list every single customer interaction I've had in the last 10 years

> Actual owners of the cars are far more qualified to tell you about how the cars hold up than one high school dropout that only sees a car once there's a problem
>A sample size of one from someone that doesn't know how an internal combustion engine works is much more relevant than a sample size of thousands from someone who knows the cars inside and out

Then fix it yourself and stop wasting everyone's time.

>sample size of thousands

Yea I bet you work on thousands of every single car model out there. You dropouts are the least trustworthy people on the planet

Op sounds like his ex started dating a mechanic

I don't know if this is trolling or what... I turned wrenches to put myself through school and get my bachelors, then after some job searching I realized I was making nearly twice as much just working on cars. So I did it for another 7 or 8 years, now I'm a welder in a fabrication shop with a useless degree that I paid off years ago. What is it that you do that gives you such an elated height of self-righteousness?

I'm a mechanic

1. I agree with 100%
2. Some have quite a lot of money, most don't
3. This isn't true, most of our bags of shit are kept barely living due to being both poor and sick of working on cars.I just wanna drink.
4. Most cars I see run fine
5. This is exactly how old mechanics think, I'll be one soon enough

It's a shit job and I recommend none of you get into the trade unless you really love cars, in which case you should find something else to love like a woman or something. If my son ever decides to be a mechanic I'll beat him until he's so stupid he'll have no choice but to be a mechanic.

who gives a shit

Why don't you fix your own shit then?

You do realize that the technology we have today wouldn't be possible without the invention of the automobile? The modern computer may not have been invented for hundreds of years more. Without cars WHICH REQUIRES PEOPLE TO FIX THEM, we wouldn't be much further then we were in the early 1900's. The invention of cars has allowed people to travel immense distances on a daily basis to get to work, this alone created the ability for people to increase their daily productivity by MANY times. Cars allowed people to meet people they never would have before and along with that come up with new ideas. Cars were the driving force for technological innovation until the invention of the computer.

And cars would be impossible if not for machinists as well as literally any other mass produced part.

>You do realize that the technology we have today wouldn't be possible without the invention of the automobile

lmao now mechanics are taking credit for INVENTING the automobile.

>spotted the salty machinist's
Who invented machining? Obviously it was not the guy working the machine, this is the case for just about everything in the world.

Also I am in no way a mechanic, I only fix my cars as a hobby.

>Who invented machining? Obviously it was not the guy working the machine
Holy fuck you're retarded. Yes, machine tools were invented by various machinists.

Good auto mechanics are usually smart as fuck.

>auto mechanics are usually drunk/high as fuck.

fixed that for you

Why do doctors insist on giving advice to people who have no idea how the human body works and why do regular people listen to them if they know their own body best?

>Politicians are usually drunk/high as fuck

Fixed that. See how that works?

I have noticed that mechanics that are more specialized are the only ones worth listening too. But overall, I've learned that no one knows anything. Only I can help myself.

Has the thought ever occured to you that no mechanic worth his salt doesn't want his fingerprints on your trainwreck?

No, because I own 4 cars, and I can guarantee he would want to work on my others.

So... we're pulling out our dicks here? I own stuff, too!

?

kill you are self

It's a belief that doctors are infallible even though there is significant evidence to the contrary. Doctors also tend to overestimate their expertise outside of their specialty. A 2nd or 3rd opinion is always useful before making any major medical decisions.

>I own 4 cars, and I can guarantee he would want to work on my others.

Your statement is also true

If you realy want to know something about your car, ask one of the engineers who constructed it.

>works like a charm, because I designed it!

what great advice

Engineers on average know even less than the average forum tard. The days of a team of engineers designing a whole car is long over, it's subteams and subteams where each individual engineer is designing a clip for a dome light or determining what kind of urethane to use on the rear window.

>?

>Engineers on average know even less than the average forum tard.
I talked with one of the leading engineers of the OM 654 Engine a few days ago.
spoiler alert: There will be a higher powered version since this engine can take significantly more boost.

>can take XY boost without any troubble
>can rev XY rpm without valve floating

That is what these guys know about...

I remember when one of my spark plugs blew on the 401 west bound and a tow truck vulture tried to offer towing at a rate he wouldn't disclose. I open the hood and he start's squeezing the coolant hose and saying that it's low on pressure and that's what's causing my issue.

I point out the fucking empty sparkplug socket and the new dent in the hood and ask him how the fuck he managed to figure out how to suck a cock to get his job

The only people that think things like this happen on a regular basis are people incapable of understanding what is actually going on. For example, I work in the HVAC world, and fix ice machines all the time. Certain brands charge hundreds of dollars for simple parts, and I get accused of ripping off customers when a fucking water pump costs $900 to change.

>saying a mechanic wouldn't want work
Wew lad

and who cares about that shit?

Why are you here?

Everyone whonts to increase the engines power...

To talk about automobiles

Why? To run up expensive gas bills?

If you want to modify your engine, you have to know its limits.
If you increase the compression ratio for example you would gain fuel efficiency, torque and power.

If you increase the maximum boost pressure on a turbo, you just gain power.

Some people want that...

>If you want to modify your engine

Why would I want to do that? I'll just buy a car with a good engine in the first place

>buy car with good engine
Why not make it even better?

>Spend more money on a newer car with a "better" engine.
>Get beat by someone in a shitbox with a modified engine and a turbo charger.
Why are you even on this board.

>order nice meal at highly rated restaurant
>take meal home to "modify" rather than just enjoying it

I don't get into fights with people nor do I engage in road rage behaviors. Why would I expect to get beaten?

>Comparing food to a car.
>Being this retarded.
You got me twice, shame on me.

>not spicing up your food

Nearly all of the shit we are, have, and do, is thanks to warfare and those who have waged it. Every time you cut a piece of meat with something sharp, do you think; "Damn, if not for me, I'd never have the freedom to do this!" Every time you've shot a gun at a range, do you think; "Thank God people like me are defending liberties and freedoms!"

That's your fucking logic right now.

because usually when modifying a car it doesnt get better.... if a car got better with a turbo and 400 hp.... then if would have had that from the factory... sure you might like it more, but is it actually better if it burns twice as much gas, its way more likely to break down, needs more oil changes. threatens to damage the rest of the drive line etc

>what is a turbo miata?

>food analogy

Fucking retard

>what is making things to a price
lmfao you is reel dumb m8

>over-seasoning food for the sake of seasoning

Was it too complicated? Head over to Veeky Forums

>not making your food perfect

yeah it makes way more sense to custom fit a turbo... the added cost to the factory would be pennies on the dollar of a custom setup

> why not cut a hole in the roof of your car and nail some plexi on it... no need to buy a car with a sunroof from the dealer

That has nothing to do with the manufactuer.

For example, according to your retarded logic, the Toyobaru shouldn't exist. But it does. And it sold well.

>And it sold well

They're actually not selling well

carbuzz.com/news/2016/12/9/Despite-Slow-Sales-The-Toyota-GT86-Will-Stay-Around-For-A-2nd-Generation-7736789/

But it was already good. Like what's the point in modifying a well sorted sports car? You're only going to make it objectively worse even if you convince yourself it's better

You're autistic.
Why mod a rotary to be more reliable?
Why make the better cooling for a car that runs hot from the factory like a corvette?
Why ever improve the aero on a car?

If you can't appreciate or even understand people modding their cars why are you even here?