IS THE 1993 CHEVROLET LUMINA AUTOMATIC WITH AESTHETIC COLUMN MOUNTED GEAR SHIFT A GOOD CAR?

IS THE 1993 CHEVROLET LUMINA AUTOMATIC WITH AESTHETIC COLUMN MOUNTED GEAR SHIFT A GOOD CAR?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bUddD-e0y-M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

worst car I ever owned and column shifts suck

Seriously?

They're pretty damned reliable, Just make sure to inspect 2 things. Have them put it on a lift to inspect it.
While you're under there, look for rust. If there's rust, walk away.
The second thing to inspect is the rear suspension. The rear independent suspension uses a transverse fiberglass leafspring instead of 2 coil springs. Check that leafspring for cracks, fractures or signs of stress. If that leafspring snaps, the entire rear suspension will collapse on itself. Pic related

you can't into maintenance. They're bulletproof

then this guy goes on to try to make you go into a mistake

enjoy your leaky garbage that will inevitably overheat and die

Stop blowing things out of proportion. The only known problems beyond what I listed are the intake manifold gaskets and you can do that in your driveway in half an hour with basic hand tools...

But if, by some stroke of luck, that has the 3.4L DOHC V6, walk away. Not a bad engine, but when things go wrong, it gets expensive quick.

The lumina is based on the W body platform, which had a number of cool benefits to itself over other GM platforms of the era. Unlike the cars slightly larger, and slightly smaller, the 3.1L V6 was actually pretty alright, and didn't suffer the same coolant problems the 3.8L did, or the antiquated design that GMs 4 cylinders of the time had.

I does have the downright ugliest interior I've ever seen though (pic related). Personally, I would go for the Century, the car's buick twin. Easier suspension, better build quality, and usually driven a bit less hard than luminas.

>Personally, I would go for the Century, the car's buick twin.
No The Buick Century of the time was on the A-body. The Lumina's W-body twins were the Buick Regal, Pontiac Grand Prix (not the Grand Am. Completely unrelated car), and the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

Learn something new every day, thought the regal was on the A body until it's mid 90s redesign.

Still would suggest the Century over the lumina though, all things considered.

The Century was on the A-body until its 1997 redesign when it switched to the W-body.
of the first gen W-bodies, the Oldsmobile and Pontiacs are my favorites. The coupes especially. So fucking sexy.

Is garbage, why would you want this?

I don't like cars with lots of electronic shit, which unfortunately seems to be literally everything from 2000+

I would look into 1996+ cars. In 1996, OBD2 was standardised, which makes it easier and cheaper to diagnose a problem when something goes wrong. 1996-2001 Luminas should be good enough.

I get that, but you could buy innumerable better cars than this within that stipulation.

If you want a midsize sedan, get a V6 Camry. They even come in coupe form apparently.

I'm looking at old cars (max. year 2000) on autotrader in my city and they're all either 100k+ vintage ferraris, or $600 "project cars" that are unfinished.

why would you willingly restrict yourself to garbage just because

>muh electronics

B-b-but I thought they don't make them like they used to.

old cars are shittier than new ones almost universally in every category

Are you a jew shill?

just a logical thinking human

You're not jewish though, right?

no

Well that was boring

I'm starting to reconsider buying the $1200 beater and just getting a 2012 civic...

looks like something a nigger would love to drive

I'm white but other white people don't talk to me because I'm an adult with the body of a little boy (very small frame, narrow clavicles, small ribcage, tiny wrists). Most white guys, if they talk to me, they make fun of me for how small I am. The women ignore me entirely.

iktfb.
Fortunately, I'm gay, and the gay scene tends to like that.

Do you drive a Miata?

nope. Can't stand convertibles. I don't feel safe in them.

You'll feel safe in me bb

other way around. I bottom. contemplating maybe getting a Beetle. Worried about being a stereotype though

>column shifts suck
you fucking take that back nigger

Luminas were like Neons. You couldn't go a day without seeing a dozen of them. Five years later, a week would go by before you saw one.

Not the cars fault that it attracted scum bags who could only afford them and not maintain them

THIS! This was the ultimate fate of 90% of any popular car model.

Sure, they could be a hidden sleeper gem that sold millions of units and then disappeared faster than a Millenial's dignity.

Or they were the utterly nondescript parts bin car that they appear to be.

were the Lumi's true IRS like a corvette or did the rear spring just make them a funky swing axle car?

Both the Lumina and the Neon were around for many years, most of them probably got junked because the owners didn't perform any maintenance, or in the case of Neons, shitheads bought good condition ones and riced them to shit and didn't maintain them

Being parts bins cars has nothing to do with it

Torsion beam

Yes, if it's mint but if its mint it'll be too expensive and you could get something newer and better.

That's not true
Mint with low miles would still only be $3300 max

no.

Yes.

See:
The picture is from the Lumina's sister car, but point is still there. It's an IRS. 1988-1996 first gen W-bodies used that transverse fiberglass leafspring stolen from the Corvette.
Gen 1.5 cars (95-99 Monte Carlo and 95-01 Lumina) switched to coil springs, but retained the IRS. All gen 2 and 3 W-body cars use a similar IRS to the gen 1.5 cars.

Which would get you a clean civic that's 10 years newer and obd2 and more fuel efficient and more reliable.

that car is an ugly piece of shit.

>2003 Civic
>OBD2
Who cares, he's not trying to tune the fucking thing
>More fuel efficient
Slightly, those fuckers with the 3100 got great mileage
>more reliable
Not if he maintains it like he should

i own one, i fucking love it

she's a shitbox without a doubt, but shes never failed to start and i've driven her around and around and around with just basic maintenance. suprisingly quick if you can mess around with it a bit, and comfy beyond comfy.

cost me 200 shekles, best deal of my life

The one I was looking at is low mileage. Only about 100-110k km. However, I got the VIN checked out and it seems like maintenance and certification/emissions records end after 2012, which leads me to suspect the car has not been used since. This could be good or bad guys.

meh, just have an oil change, a coolant flush and the transmission fluid and transmission fluid filter change aftergetting it and it should be good to go. Those 3.1's are pretty bulletproof V6's

>Sure, they could be a hidden sleeper gem that sold millions of units
They are.
youtube.com/watch?v=bUddD-e0y-M

>column shifts suck