>freesound.org/browse
>incompetech.com/music
>freemusicarchive.org
Surely we could do without this

when your spaghetti code goes so right
not sure what to do about camera rotations though
Not sure if I shouldnt have em on minecart levels
they fuck up the controls

Carnwennan deals more damage from behind.

Nice fucked up engine links OP

Neat

Any feedback on the animated intro sequence is appreciated.

Viewable here:
my.mixtape.moe/kygkve.webm

Going with the popular feedback, time to make the UI more accessible

Hows your progress user?

I want to make a similar game to yours. Don't take this the wrong way but your progress seems really slow and I'm concerned making a game like yours would be way bigger of an undertaking than I appreciate.

Gay OP pic. No need to try and immortalize a weak 2/10 shitpost.

No thanks.

I'm done reviewing for today. Have 3 videos uploading, first one should be done in about 20 minutes and the rest should take about that long to upload.
Here's a playlist link. The videos that are listed as deleted are actually still uploading, so check back in an hour or so to watch them all if you want to.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmFlFUB8IEGYcS9j2FD_JHCJ4rLmLzpuk

List so far:
Aliens Go Home Run!
Bloodworks
BombFriends
Bonelord
Card Tactix

I'll do some more tomorrow.

why no demo?

what would your father think of this?

Well that depends on how "like ours" it is. Our design is pretty large scope for 2 people, but we also haven't shown half of what's planned. You can make a metroidvania that doesn't have all the design challenges Clarent does. If you haven't already made simpler games I would recommend aiming for something smaller.

He'd commend me for not being a nodev.

It's spelled "futher."

another day, another bust practice. happier with how this one turned out

Cute

>bust practice
I'm just waiting for the REAL bust practice if you know what I mean

it's spelled "führer"

show me progress OR ELSE!!

Does anyone mind if stupid questions are asked here? Because I've got one stupid question about getting started, then I'm off to the races.

Hello this is my page, you can play game though it's not done

tiledbattle.com

Go for it. If no one answers just state it as a fact later and a bunch of people will yell at you and tell you while your wrong.

You other devs better step it up.

Ask away user. I will try to help.

You might get shitposted, but you'll also find help.

Monthly reminder that I do read the feedback and suggestions form submissions on the information repo site, so if you want something added or changed just let me know.
People keep asking for a collab tool but that sounds weird I'd rather work on my game probably.

Ask away

Sounds like a good strategy.
Simply put, I'm looking to make a game, 2d platforming, skill-based arena type game, local/online-multiplayer supported. Similar to nidhogg, but the combat mechanics themselves would be very different.
There are SHITTONS of ways to get started, from scraping shit together from the very start using C to using Game Maker.

What would be the best engine to learn and begin project? Perhaps it might be helpful to mention that in the future, I want to make RPG games with non-standard mechanics if I manage to complete something for once.

You really have to ask yourself what your looking for. MonoGame is great if your familiar with C#/XNA. If you want something bulkier maybe try Unity. Ask yourself what resources you need and what language you want to use, then go from there. Ease of use and documentation should also be taken into account. I personally recommend MonoGame.

Game Maker might be fine for that kind of thing but I really don't have experience with it. Otherwise I would recommend unity. There's definitely reasons to dislike unity but there so many resources out there for any question you'll run into and if you make just about any kind of game with it so learning how to use it wont go to waste.

All that being said, I'm a scrub too so ..

got a zelda 2 / duck tales / shovel knight -esque down stab working. really need to get some props and put together a test map besides this default UE4 one, its getting really old

cute! cute!

Looks functional.

Might want to add a more dramatic vertical motion. When you contact, to drive down vertically a bit before pushing back up.

Lack of vertical movement makes it kind of boring, but it should be a FUN game mechanic.

I am pretty comfortable with Javascript, I can work with Java and I've just learned the bare basics of C#.

I guess that's as good of a starting point as any. I'm massively concerned about how live multiplayer works, programming-wise but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Time to start googling. MonoGame or Unity might be a good place to start.

youtube.com/watch?v=REhiN59JSCE

Thats fucking nuts

lol not the usual response but I'll take it

you mean like a squash in on hit? makes sense I'm down for anything easy that can make stuff look better

If you are comfortable with Java the basic JFrame and Swing(?? It's been a few years since I used Java) capabilities should do the trick.

Made a few tweaks like nerfing Reece. Would love some feedback!

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12/rate/110782

More dramatic motion. It looks like he's just kind of hovering at the same height.

Not going to act like I know anything, but last time I checked, wasn't JFrame and Swing notoriously bad or at least annoying for some reason or another?
It felt like every time I mentioned it to some programmer or dev they would groan or give some cautionary tale about why it sucks ass.

I’ve ported my love of the humble Unity Cube over to Unreal.

>Space Carrier Ops: youtube.com/watch?v=OpZhCrExS1g&index=4&list=PLQOFZ7Uvt6WxxHirNVAJWIgo6Gxp1vNst
Wow, 17 minutes is a long video. Going to watch this now, thanks for playing and posting something user. Whether you loved it or hated it, I'm glad you took the time to try it.

It worked pretty well for me for game jams, but I never used it for a large-scale project. I'm not too fond of Java in general (mainly bloat), but it can be pretty /comfy/.

working on the submenus
the code is a bit of a slog

Paper Bug, when finished will reach obscene levels of popularity at least as much as Undertale did, possibly even more. When it's still in the indie scene, /v/'s gonna love the shit out of it, but once it gets popular, it'll become a meme and everyone will pretend to hate it for the sole reason that it's popular.

Screencap this.

If my game is functional but I have a load of shit to redo while still in a very early stage, would I be better off going back to what needs fixing and rewriting those specific things, or start from scratch with the changes in mind?

I DID IT
I finally got Godots multimash/-instances to work!

Heres the shortest possible code if anybody wants to use them too:
pastebin.com/tmvYceqd

I wonder if anybody here could have told me if I just had asked.

Anyway, now for a celebratory fap...

You're not some kind of genius. Everyone knows that /v/ is comprised of contrarians who hate everything popular

you are a real bro for making those, thanks mate

I like the style and art. Simple but nice looking. Got any tips?

If you want to use Java then look no further than LibGDX.

Who does your art assets? Is it just you?

>picture
maybe there right.....
that some times video games,
DOES CAUSE violence

how do I join the old nost pvp horde guild?

Nice and edgy. Just needs to be faster.

>using a game engine
ahahaha

ty
icons mostly came from the artist i had on board a while ago, but the rest of the gui is me. Picking colours is half the battle, and adding a shadow is the other half
posting and getting ripped apart by agdg is very helpful too
pic is the actual game btw

what? I just played the game and made that prediction, I'm not the guy who made the game

Depends how much damage rewriting those systems will do. If it's something fairly self-contained then it wont' matter, but if it's got it tendrils everywhere then it may be worth restarting
If you do rebuild from scratch, make a plan first and have the major features written down. That way you'll have to rewrite less this time. I didn't with and it gave me a lot of headaches

ok

Thanks for your input, user
Yeah, one of the reasons I'm considering starting from scratch is the fact that a lot of key features are built on sticks and if I take them out and rewrite them carelessly I'm gonna ruin other shit

I guess I'll just start from scratch and get something clean for DD13

tomorrow

If I show you guys my game and it's not very visually impressive will you bully me?

yes

if it's inoffensive you'll get ignored at worst

Skylarks guy here. I rewrite shit all the time. Right now I'm in the middle of reorganizing ALL my components and systems after changing some of the fundamental parts at the heart of my engine.

On the one hand it's critical to have experience in game development you can learn from, and if this is your first big project then this is the first time you can make the necessary mistakes. On the other hand you don't want to be caught in a perpetual death spiral of infinite rewrites. It's just a tightrope you have to walk while leaving the animal behind and becoming more than human. Or something.

yes

There's 3 tiers.

It looks good so need to bully.
It looks shit so you get bullied.
It's beyond shit and it loops back into no bully because people are too amused.

This is the current version of my game, beat me

i wonder what happen to the dev making the game with the brown Samus look-alike in red armor on the 2d plane?

Could be interesting

All three cubes are Gods, you are a man under them. That's all i got

Hey I know the basics of Java, if I open unity and start fucking around how far will I get before I hit a roadblock

Nice minecraft clone, nerd

About 2 seconds

Around 23 units

Depends how fast unity loads on your machine

there's 4 tiers.

it looks really good so you'll be complimented.
it looks mediocre/copy of another style, so you'll get bullied
it looks shit so you'll get ignored
it looks so shit its good, so you'll be complimented

Stop right there bully scum

I promise this is not a shitpost and is a legitimate question. If the sprites in my game are diaperfurs will I be run out of here?

that you had to ask should answer your question
but please post at least once, I need a good laugh

Yeah, you can fuck right off with that faggotry

> if it looks so shit its good, you'll be complimented

Examples?

When you're playing an FPS game and you look up, there's a point when you're looking straight up into the sky where your character stops going any further. What is this called? It's also used when looking straight down as well. I'd like to read into it.

If looking straight forward is 0° and exact up is 90° and exact down is -90°, then I imagine that implementing this is just a matter of limiting the Y-axis to just 90 on both ends.

Thanks!

Actually I try to make something terraria in 3d which will be nothing like Terraria.
Ill have a demo ready for demoday next decade, just you wait!

Thanks, Y-you too.

Did you see my post about the disappearing bug?

alright, placeholder sprites it is

Yeah, you clamp the angle while looking straight up or down. Be careful of gimbal lock, though.

do they look good?

I did, thanks. I haven't been able to recreate it, but I did find that the boss can push you off the screen if he walks into you. Never got it to transition to the next room. If you happen to have any more information about it that might help us to figure out how to recreate it I'd really appreciate it.

Yes, I think they do.

I don't know, I keep getting people saying this shit should come back when I'm working on something else.

I was on the left side and I think he did some sort of attack that pushed me backwards or walked into me and then it just transitioned to the next room so it might be just like you said.

Character was invisible, could not interact with anything other than moving around so I couldn't open the chest that was there.

> boss can push you off the screen if he walks into you
Wouldn't it be a cool mechanic when the boss could punch you a room back and follow you?
Maybe as an desperation attack which deals a huge amount of damage if it connects but can be avoided

fantastic glide run

youtube.com/watch?v=rcq-TZdDSlo

avant-garde as fuck

not only does this mother fucker whip out wolverine claws to properly manage drag, he pulls his arms back out briefly a second time to help slow down to the exact speed he wanted. I can only imagine the inner workings of his parallax scrolling engine