260z SBC

Was scrolling through craigslist. Spotted this. Very tempted to buy it as a weekend toy. Or turn it into a track toy?

Thoughts on a SBC 260z? I'm going to go check it out this weekend. What should I look for? I've owned old cars before, but never a datsun, nor a SBC.

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5962169080.html

"260z early build...has 350sbc with 220/212 .440 lift cam refreshed rods and pistons 10.5.1 comression..holly double pumper carb.vortech heads..new radiator.new starter....new oil pan...car lowered wit tokito regular shocks up front and adjustable on the rear...and is very light weigh...15x8 and 15x9 0 offset rims with Muncie 4 speed m20 with r200 lsd with rare 4.11 gears... the car 0 rust i reapeat 0 rust...the floor boards have been replaced had rust originally all the lights work.has a hurst short throw shifter.......the car makes 280whp...fast and ready for new home...9.5k $ "

>350
>280whp
Jesus did a blind man put that carb on?

280hp isnt a lot

also unless you have another 9.5k to throw at it you dont have enough money to turn that or frankly any car into a "toy"

I do have another 9.5k and more.

Where do you think I'll be spending money on this car besides suspension, brakes, and tires? What does the motor need?

the embodiment of Veeky Forums shitposting

Aus LS nerd here he is indeed a fucking huge shitposting faggot but anything below 300rwhp for a LS1/350+ cam is dogshit carbies are no excuse

It probably just needs a dynotune and that's it.

Looks gr8 otherwise offer him 9k and get it then you can join the SBC shitposting master race

What should I look out for on the SBC?

new radiator makes me think its been overheated. pics look like it has coolant splatter on the inside of the hood

It has a mild, low-lift cam and probably doesn't rev as high as it could with better valves and springs (though it doesn't really seem to have the duration and heads to support more than 5k revs anyway).

so you have a total of 19000 dollars and instead of buying a DONE CAR

you wanna buy a half finished car missing all the creature comforts and finish it for another 9k PLUS all that wasted time in doing so

do you feel that your time is worthless?

my time is near priceless to me

Don't track it or fuck with it you stupid neanderthal. Let someone who will actually preserve a classic buy it and find yourself a piece of shit fox body to destroy.

found the person who's never done their own oil change before

Check battery tray, front fender walls, behind front wheels on the fenders, rocker panels, the floor pans, inside the hatch, bring a magnet make sure the rear fenders haven't been bondoed on.

Check the doors. People put the wrong seals on. It needs to close without slamming. If it doesn't check every inch of the doors and rocker panels with a microscope.

I know nothing about 350. Check the rear end. If it is an r180 you are going to blow that up unless you have no traction.

Have you driven a 240/260/280z with 280 hp. I assure you it is fast.

I have a turboed L28 on mine and it is fast and it is only at about 250.

Are you retarded? I'm buying it as a toy that I can wrench on.

It's not about money, creature comforts, or wasting time. I have other cars.

Come in asking about SBCs or old Zs and Veeky Forums tries to organize an intervention.

can gurantee this is a boomer

only... boomers... do this....

It is already ruined it has a 350 in it. It is a track car now.

thanks for the info ! Its got an R200 with LSD in it.

Should be better. If you want to go more than 400 hp with good tires is when you need to look at ford rear end conversions.

I'd see when the swap was done. The u.s. 260z was pretty aweful. Carbs were shit and it had a long stroke and just not very good.
This swap could be 20 or 30 years old, so if the radiator has been replaced that isn't too surprising. If it's an iron block iron head 350 I would. It worry about heat damage.

I would check it out, look for rust, test drive it, do a few hard pulls.

I've gotten in touch through email. Current owner bought the car already swapped. he said the sbc is a pre 78.

r200's are pretty strong, I doubt he would have to go with a solid axle unless he plans on exceeding 400ft/lbs.

does it come with the qt in the pass. seat?

the shitty paint, shaved look and molded in spoiler makes it look like a plastic toy

I'd buy it and fit all of the above, 280whp is actually a lot for a car of that weight

>priceless time
>on Veeky Forums

>needing more than $1400 to get power out of an SBC
Spotted the retard

Nah just old rad probably split as these V8 run Bretty hot.

Do a compression test a kit is like 30 bucks

Only thing to look out for with 350/SBC LS is oil leaks and that's pretty much it they are very reliable and take alot of abuse however if it has signs of oil starvation walk away. A simple test is to take the rocker covers off or the filler cap and see if the valve train is lubed well enough.

But mainly I'd check for rust if I was u

It looks so ruined.

The paint is beyond awful.
The fitment of the door looks sketch as fuck. It could even have frame damage.
It looks very unfinished all around.

Looks like it's worth $500 plus whatever the engine is worth. It needs $5000+ of body work alone.

Why don't you buy from a seller that isn't crazy, asking $9500 for a completely ruined car? Just get a shell of a car that you can do properly instead of having to redo this shitty work.

>280hp isnt a lot

Confirmed benchracer.

Southern California. All the z cars are overpriced here.

So go buy one out of state. It's worthwhile to travel for an old car if you have the time to spare if you end up not buying it.

Seriously that car is a piece of shit and I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for it.
The only thing it seems like it might have going for it(assuming the chasis isn't bent) is that it looks rust free.