/lisg/ - Life is Strange General #461

''Draw me like one of your French girls'' Edition

Previous Thread: Life is Strange is an episodic interactive drama from DONTNOD Entertainment. Set in the Pacific Northwest in the town of Arcadia Bay, the player follows the story of Maxine Caulfield and her seemingly newfound ability to turn hella gay and rewind time. At the prestigious Blackwell Academy, Max must prepare with Chloe Price for the incoming storm of returning to her hometown after five years. Available on Steam, PSN and Xbox Live.

>Official Website:
lifeisstrange.com

>Steam:
store.steampowered.com/app/319630
steamcommunity.com/groups/4chanlisg

>/lisg/ Permalink:
orph.link/lisg

>FAQs, Old Threads/Strawpolls, Soundtrack/Music & Leaks:
orph.link/lisgarchive

>/lisg/ Community Written Fan Fiction (Continuation WHEN):
orph.link/story

>Compilation of Fanfics:
orph.link/fanfic

>/lisg/ Content Producers:
imgur.com/a/DOAKn

>/lisg/ sings:
youtube.com/watch?v=pQJgF3NToUg
youtube.com/watch?v=WjPsOkijFh0

>Strawpolls:
strawpoll.me/11794775
strawpoll.me/11794798
strawpoll.me/11965358
strawpoll.me/12020327
strawpoll.me/12020353

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rhvZxmgLfNA
youtube.com/watch?v=uJnSjJbNnEE
youtube.com/watch?v=RRQDqurZJNk
youtube.com/watch?v=I-zQtYmFCb0
youtube.com/watch?v=Pf57e_soNO8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Getting this fanfic shilling out of the way

Yes
Sadly, no screenshot. Use google or maybe someone on YT who has played the game has a video.

Bae, all day, every day.

Damn right

Proposal in Paris (Mas won a contest and they get to stay in the city). Chloe is a cliche dork and asks right in front of the Eiffel Tower.
Married on the cliff by the lighthouse overlooking Arcadia Bay.
Honeymoon in Manhattan. So many sights for them to see and things to do.

100%
I made up my mind in Episode 3 that them being together was the only ending I wanted, or would have accepted. Still wish it didn't come down to a binary choice and that the ending itself would show nothing. But we've used that to our advantage.

I can see that happening.

Anything interesting happen while I was gone?

Not really

BFFs, Pirates, Partners in Time & Crime & In Love, Fellow Dorks, GFs, Wives.
OTP.
youtube.com/watch?v=rhvZxmgLfNA

Of course, you can also come up with your own ideas (As can anyone else). What matters is the end result that they are happy.
Those were just my own ideas.

Chloe is #1

This game has just been sitting on my shelf for a few months now (bought it on sale but had just begun Bloodborne so was playing that instead) and as much as I wanna play it I don't feel any need to.

Persuade me general, I want to play this. What're some of your favourite parts of the game and why do you like it so much?

It depends, how long you have been out?

You don't need us to convince you. You are just making excuses

Ok, so the game makes me sound like an angsty teen.

Back to the shelf with you.

The game starts out pretty slow, building the world, introducing you to the characters, but once you're at the end of episode 2 (or by the middle of episode 3) you'll feel hooked by the story, and in love with the rich characters.

However, that said, this is only a game for you if you like narrative driven games, since the gameplay is quite simple and not that deep.

Also sorry for the vague description, but don't wanna spoil it for you. But I can guarentee you that it's not "Tumblr/Feminazi: The Game" as some proclaim. Plus Chloe's VA is amazing.

I'd say 3 months.

I do enjoy narrative games. I've played through all the walking dead telltale games and pretty enjoyed it, as well as the Sam and Max series.

Yeah I originally heard about the game through tumblr, so thought I'd give it a go. Roughly how long is each episode in it?

I went into this game ready to hate it. The dialog was cheesy and I thought I wouldn't be able to relate or care at all about hipster high school drama.

By the 4th episode I felt fucking broken, this game had so many real moments in it, I grew to love all the characters and it was devastating seeing them go through so much hurt together.

It's definitely worth a playthrough, there's a lot in the game that the trailers and screenshots don't show

The dialog is one thing that turned me off about it, the idea of high school girls and time travel just seems like it'd be really cheesy and awkward lines. If the voice acting and writing is good though I'll check it out.

The only thing I know about the game is that at one point you choose a breakfast item and that somehow is relevant later?

Is the game still interesting on the second playthrough?

as our friend here said nothing very relevant but we got this recent Vampyr trailer with some LiS references at the end
youtube.com/watch?v=uJnSjJbNnEE

It's been a while since I've played it, since there's not a ton of replay value, but I recall that it varied quite a bit from episode to episode, plus how you play the game can also easily add or subtract a couple of hours from your playthrough.

But If you just aim to rush through it from plotpoint to plotpoint, you can easily get through most of the episodes in just below 2 hours, except the 5th episode which (from what I remember) barely pass the 1 hour mark.

That said, at times it is quite cheesy, and a bit "2012 haha funny memes" but it's still a very believable universe, and definetely worth trying out.

>If the [...] writing is good

Hey, I just found a book cover for the copy I have on my Kindle.

You can see different choices. Not much changes but dialogue or a few small detials, honestly the biggest variation is if you save Kate you get to see her again (yay).
Going through different choices also allows you to see compare what Max says/writes, good for establishing who she is.

Chloe is back!

youtube.com/watch?v=RRQDqurZJNk

If you really want your moneys worth out of the game you should take your your time and hear every dialogue and do every possible action. This can lengthen every episode to 4-5 hours.

I replayed it a few days ago for the second time and i still love it. But that's just my opinion though

tl;dr
If you like telltale games you won't regret playing this one and joining us for the circlejerk in /lisg/ after your playthrough.

I'm so happy that Ashly Burch seems to be getting a lot of good work.

The game is still really good and it's only the ending that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Which is unfortunate.
It doesn't undo everything good about the game, but it leaves you with no conclusion. The story didn't end, it just stopped.

>the massacre was only the beginning
>who did this to us?
SHE'S COMING FOR MICHEL

Read

It's not that I don't like it, ever since all five episodes have been out I've had 3 complete playtroughs since then, what I meant was just that it isn't a game you can continue to play nonstop without eventually getting bored with it

Of course, taking breaks increase replayability. Kind of like how you'll watch a movie you've watched before after a while.

Reminder that this exists if you didn't see it last time
youtube.com/watch?v=I-zQtYmFCb0

I really cannot get enough of this.
I hear it and I think of Max and Chloe after the storm, showing the damage, survivors, and rebuilding. Then showing the two of them traveling around the country, taking photos of their trip.
With each photo fading in and out as the credits of the game roll.

I think the va is excellent, the writing faulters from time to time, mostly episode 5.

The atmosphere and music are brilliant. The characters are complex and well-developed and they're some of my absolute favorites in fiction. It starts out as a typical high school drama full of stereotypes, but pretty quickly starts to go off the rails. It's in my top three favorite games.
Keep in mind that it's a visual novel with a few puzzles in every episode, so there's not much "gameplay" to speak of.

Agreed. I still cringe when I hear "You're gonna die, Motherfucker!"

The actual dialogue is complete garbage, but I adapted to it pretty quickly. There are still lots of lines that I just can't get past, but "hella" and "wowsers" have practically become part of my everyday speech.
The voice acting (especially for Chloe) is brilliant, and somehow the characters really shine through in spite of the dialogue.

The one I remember cringing at the most was
>"You're right. We hella deserve it. Splish splash!"

The writing takes a noticeable dive right after they find the Dark Room.
It makes Max, Chloe, and others act really stupid for the sake of driving the plot forward. But it's so poorly done that it becomes unbelievable.
Sadly it never recovers itself either. It just keep diving down until it hits rock bottom with the final choice.

Mad Max was great. She didn't take Jefferson's shit.
Still wish there was an option after freeing her leg to kick him in the balls. There was SO much more that could have been done with Max staying strong, getting inside his head, and genuinely creeping him out.

The actual *writing* is pretty consistent throughout the entire game. It's the *story* that starts having issues after they find the Dark Room.

RELEASE THE KRA-CAN!

It's not the fact that Max resisted and fought back that I dislike the line. It's just the choice of words, plus the delivery of that particular line wasn't quite spot on... And so I cringed.

That's what i was saying. Coming back from time to time can give you hella nostalgia though. Heck, one guy i saw even had over 700 hours in the game.

The dialogue never bothered me much. I've found it to be believable enough start to finish. I guess that's a perk of being a non-native, but it's not like there hasn't been stuff I did think the dialogue was awful in. The quirks of LiS' dialogue are endearing, if anything, and the few really awkward lines have comedic/recognition value.

>RELEASE THE KRA-CAN!
I thought my ears dropped off the first time i heard it.

Yeah, I think the line is actually fine. Hannah Telle just isn't a flexible enough voice actress to pull it off. She nails the anxious, quiet Max early in the game, but she can't pull off the more confident, badass Max the writers were trying to do in ep5.

Fun fact: They gave her a water gun to hold to feel more confident. She's also talked about having confidence issues.

I do think her performance in the finale is not on par with the earlier portrayal, obviously, but it was never alienatingly bad or anything. It kind of fit Max actually, who herself always has had that awkward confidence, which on the surface could look and sound similarly awkward. But a few lines really do not work well.

>friendly reminder that turning off your game is the confirmed canon ending

It's one of the most adorkable lines in the game.
Max is a huge dork and even terrible things happening around her won't change it.
That innocence will never be shattered.

I thought Hannah did great as Max throughout the game. This was Hannah's first big role so as Max became more confident, so did Hannah voicing her.
Of all the things to say about the game, the VAs having any issues is not one I would say.

*sqeeze*

I love these so much. I wish there was a team effort from the best render artists to make a proper epilogue for the Bae ending. The best I've seen so far is our very own Renderanon's.

I didn't mean that in a negative way, it was just so unexpected.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.
But can we all agree that David's VA did an amazing job reacting to Chloe's death?
I litterally got chills all over my neck.

I love Hannah, I just don't think she pulls off the badass particularly well. Ashly Burch, for example, could pull off the "You're gonna die, motherfucker" line no sweat. I can imagine her saying it without even having to think about it.

I don't think we give enough credit to the actors who did motion capture. I don't know any of their names, but a lot of why we love the characters is in the motion capture, not just the voices.

The stunning nature of it is why it works. I didn't see Max as scared in the Dark Room (She was, but it didn't show). She was more pissed off than anything.
Someone she trusted betrayed her, killed Chloe, hurt her friends, and is acting like he is totally justified in doing so.
Like I said, it would have worked better if Max was fucking with him and getting inside his head. Rewinding after he spoke and saying his own words before he could, taunting him and calling him a shitty photographer, etc.
Then when he gets freaked out and asks what Max is, she replies "You're going to die, motherfucker."

I gave credit just a few theads ago!

And it's true. There's a pretty distinct physicality to the different characters that contributes to making them feel so alive. This was also pointed out when we had fun with those model swaps - it became apparent how their motions do not really fit each other.

They did do a really good job.
Everyone at DONTNOD did. Which is why it's even sadder to see how poorly the final episode turned out. There are no problems it other than the story. And those glaring problems drag down the episode as a whole, and overall game to an extent.
The problems simple come down to endings based on inconsistency because the story writers/directors did not check what they previously showed and established.

Jesus Christ, every single time anyone talks about the substance of the game, someone's just gotta jump in to talk about how bad episode 5 was.

Episode 5 never happened and I'm still waiting for it.

Hey guys, I have a unique opinion I'd like to share. The writing in episode 5 wasn't up to par. Did you know that: some of it didn't make sense, our choices didn't matter, the bay ending doesn't fit the tone of the game, the bae ending is too short, the nightmare sequence is too long, and Max and Chloe make dumb decisions in order to make the plot happen? These are unique opinions that I came up with all by myself and certainly haven't been repeated a thousand times without any variation or new insight

It can't be said often enough.

I love these two
youtube.com/watch?v=Pf57e_soNO8

Thank you for your valuable opinion user.

Like it or not, it's the most recent thing we've seen. The last taste of the game players got.
Of course it's going to be in the minds of everyone.

Oh dog. My heart.
They are so cute, I think they really are in love. Can we place get them to be the Max and Chloe for the series (If they even appear in it) and can we please send the Chloe a proper bullet necklace?

3 1/2 episode of the game are still awesome!
We can't undo a crappy ending but we can re-write it here and in our minds and also focus on the good parts of the game.
Which is still a large majority.

the bae ending doesn't need to be rewritten, just fleshed out imo. for the rest of episode 5...well...

if the live action series really happens and it features max and chloe i would like them to do the hospital ending with a consistent build up.

Both endings suffer from fatalism, thinking something has to be destroyed/killed. Even though Max has Chloe in the Bae ending, and that's a good start towards a proper ending, the writers still gave up and didn't let them try to help others.
The true ending is Max saving Chloe as she does in the Bae ending, waiting a few days, then going back to earlier in the week (Through a photo like Max's photo from the bedroom in Episode 3) and telling Chloe they need to warn people. Maybe also writes down instructions in her journal for herself and Chloe to use.
So that when she rejoins the present after the photo jump, she's with Chloe still and they saved more people.

I want to be hopeful for the series but I have the feeling that it's just going to be the same crappy storm plot as the game.
But there's no news out about it so I cannot really make any claims or form opinions.
Best not to think about it and get my hopes up yet.

THIS GAVE ME DIABETUS.

HELP

I fapped to a private moment between max and Chloe by afterlaugh. I'm so sorry Kate

I'm sorry, there is no cure for cuteness-inflicted diabetus.
It's a disease that becomes an addiction. Once you are infected, you need more to survive.

That's messed up.

If you're a girl then I forgive you

What picture was it?

You don't need to ask Kate for forgiveness, though she would tell you go pray.
You should apologize to Max and Chloe.

This one

Hot damn.

I-I mean, FOUL DEMON.

shame on you.

While i agree with you, the Bae ending as a concept seems fine to me. The problem is that they didn't make it seem like Max was out of choices since they never cared about explaining how her powers work or putting any limits to it that are not plot-convenient.

Also, even i find the notion that bittersweet endings make storys more mature absurd i believe that a plain happy ending wouldn't have fit the theme of the story.
That being said, it could be that it doesn't even matter which choice you made in the end because both could have happened if you interpret Max's powers in certain ways. But that is just one of my half-assed evening thoughts.

As for the series: Hope for the best, expect the worst.

It was just a bad fan mod user. You can tell because of how low the quality was, and how they kept reusing existing assets.

REWIND THESE

Prepare for your ban, reports are quick to come in this thread! I know what I'm talking about

Holy shit! Afterloughs really outdid herself this time
I don't mind

I don't know man, it's been 15 mins and the lewd in the last thread still didn't get deleted

Luckier than me. (not that I'm complaining)

Stop posting their private moments! (We don't need to lose anymore posters)

>I believe that a plain happy ending wouldn't have fit the theme of the story
Even if they saved every single person in Arcadia Bay from the storm that's still not a plain happy ending: Rachel is dead and Chloe saw it firsthand, Chloe still has abandonment issues, Max was drugged and tortured by someone she looked up to, Max has had to see terrible things that will stick with her for the rest of her life, Kate still has issues and even if she's no longer suicidal she has to accept what happened to her, other characters also have their own issues that don't just go away.

It can never be a "perfect" ending but if Max thinks the storm is not related to her (or entirely related, and always going to come) then there's nothing stopping her from going back to try to help who she can.
If for whatever reason that result is even worse, she can do like she did with saving William and undo the change. I don't think Max would want to go back in time again, but if things turned out to be really shitty (Joyce, David, Kate, etc. dead) then she would have to: for their sakes, for hers, and for Chloe's.c