What is the point of an oil pressure gauge? What is the driver supposed to do with that information?

What is the point of an oil pressure gauge? What is the driver supposed to do with that information?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CfipRXooCTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

To ensure proper function of the oil pump

It gauges the oil pressure.

If you have no oil pressure, it can result in catastrophe so it can be handy to have that info.

To keep track of the oil pressure in the motor. If it starts reading lower than normal you may have an issue.

>What is the point of an oil pressure gauge? What is the driver supposed to do with that information?

To see oil pressure
What an idiot.

>OH no, my oil pressure has dropped to zero. There must be no oil.
>Oh no, my oil pressure is spiking out of control.
There must be a problem with my oil pump or a blockage causing pressure buildup.

To be useful though, it is necessary to determine if the gauge is reporting wall pressure or total pressure.

/thread

Oil pressure can have huge effects on an engine weather its too high or too low and can tell you of current and upcoming issues regarding the oil system and various seals. Nonexistent means turn off your fucking engine right goddamn now and tow it.

What is the ideal range?

>What is the point of an oil pressure gauge?
Gives you an idea of the effect of the oil filter. If your oil pressure has a sudden change one day, then perhaps the filter bypass triggered or there is a hole in the filter.

Depends on the engine

I have both oil pressure and oil temp gauges in my car. Both are extremely handy for knowing how long it is until my engine explodes.

cars dont have that anymore. kind of stopped in the 90's
and fords always had FAKE ones with no numbers

If you don't like gauges you should get a Ford Ka. It tells you how fast you're going and how much fuel you have. Fuck you.

An idiot light only tells you a problem when it's too late, with a real oil pressure gauge, you can monitor what your engine is doing in real time.

my 2003 monte carlo ss had one

also had TPMS which is weird for a 2003

My Camaro has pressure but no temperature. The pressure tends to fluctuate between 40 and 60.

>someone got this triggered over an oil pressure gauge

your fun stops when the pressure drops

It tells me if my oil pressure sending unit still works or if I need to knock it around a bit.

>What is the driver supposed to do with that information?
You can see how different oil filters affect your oil pressure.

Can confirm, I have one in my car that reads in real time, I glance at it every now and then just to make sure everything is kosher. It's breddy Gud to know what's going on in there.

this. I've had my oil light come on, but the oil pressure gauge indicated that I still had good oil pressure. turned out to be a sensor problem.

without an oil pressure gauge, I'd just have to turn the engine off, get it towed, and then inspect what the problem is, or risk potentially blowing the engine up.

Old rule is 10psi per 1000 RPM but no less than 30-40 depending.

I was just curious cause the miata I bought had one and it's always maxxed out at 90 when I ride it hard without warming it up

colder oil generates more pressure compared to hot

Nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=CfipRXooCTM