/civ4xg/ - Civilization, Stellaris, Endless and 4X Games General

>Civilization Resources
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) - well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums - - - - civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games - - - - - - - - - - - - - - civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 - - - - - play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) - dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter - - - - - - - - - - - - - georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding - modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop - steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods - - - - - - -- forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods - - - - - - - - pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>Stellaris Resources
- Steam group - - - - - - - - steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris
- Mod archive - - - - - - - -- mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations - pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual - - - - - - cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 -- - - - - - endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 -- - - - - - endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements - pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories - - - - mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/games/281990/announcements/detail/641035011376782852
youtube.com/watch?v=Z1m4lP5Nil8
games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blog/493-endless-day-stream-celebration
youtube.com/watch?v=P9V-tGUou-M
store.steampowered.com/app/415680/
store.steampowered.com/app/461800/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220412890
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-56-ascension-perks.994061/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I am fond of cheese

Who is ready for disappointment?
steamcommunity.com/games/281990/announcements/detail/641035011376782852

H-help !

which browser game is this?

They are trying to make it more similar to Civ/Beyond Earth when they should be going the Grand Strategy with more complex diplomacy and empire administration.

It'd probably still be fun, just not what I expected.

>steamcommunity.com/games/281990/announcements/detail/641035011376782852
>The Synthetic Path focuses on the replacement of biology with machinery. The first level allows you to turn your population partly synthetic through the use of cybernetics, while the second level replaces your biological pops with robots, turning your empire entirely synthetic.
I'm guessing organic turned synth leaders still die of "old"?

Reposting because the two lonely souls playing EL might not read the old thread
I've won three games in EL so far. Wildwalkers Domination on normal, cultist Elimination win on Hard and vaulters science win on serious. Now for the last two difficulties i wanna go for a diplomacy win with the drakken and an economic win with the broken Lords. Which one should I play on impossible, which one on endless? Also how much should I expand for either win? With the vaulters i didn't hold more than 20% of the regions but only fought one war and almost won diplomacy win bc of my alliances as my army was too weak to risk bad relationships.

>There are two ‘sequels’ that are partly underway. Aurora 2, written in C#, and Newtonian Aurora, which is in VB6. Aurora 2 has nicer graphics but in the end Aurora was never about graphics – it’s about gameplay. It’s really an old style wargame with many RPG elements that you happen to play on a PC. The computer makes playing easier but you could replicate a lot of the game with pen, paper, some dice and a calculator. The action is taking place in your head, not on the screen. So I guess Aurora 2 is on hold because I would rather add new features than spend time making the game look prettier.

>Newtonian Aurora is an attempt to create a version of Aurora based on real Newtonian physics, rather than the wet-Navy physics used in Aurora (explained away with the some techno-babble). Its a lot more advanced in terms of development than Aurora 2, a lot more complex than Aurora and has some very cool features. That is also on hold for the moment, mainly due to a lack of free time since I started my current job, but I am more likely to go back to that than Aurora 2.

Wow okay uh fuck off

No they confirmed that synths are immortal

Play Forgotten on Endless and add 1 Necrophage and 4 non-Necrophage races.

Watch Necrophages destroy everybody else and then just crush their capital with the use of 2x 3 moral decreases and 1x 100% fortification reduction.

Yeah boyo!

what the fuck does this faggot think he's doing that's absolutely not at all how you pet a cat this triggers me so much

Reposting from old bread:
If i want go full autist and have literally the best yelds/pops/turf in Master of magiv, what's the best wizard/race build?
I can't decide between Dwarves and Dark Elves for the title of "holy shit why can't o hold all this EVERYTHING".
Also, i'd want Myrran and Warlord, but i ALSO need the spellbooks in life and nature to get the town enchanents. Is it more reliable to get talents in wizard creation and spellbooks in the overworld or vice-versa?

Well, if you want to REALLY abuse some mechanics...
There's a white city enchant that removes unhappiness. Cast it and increase tax to max
Either that or a zombie-trolls.
You can also try a master-summoner build.

Well we are going to get species policies and eatable pops ~ so its a start.

>Grand Strategy with more complex diplomacy and empire administration.

But can we convert Albanians into energy credits?

I can do that too. See?

What exactly did you mean by this

>the best yelds/pops/turf in Master of magiv
>best yield/pop
dark elf
>best yield/turf
dwarf

Assuming you're not a nature wizard who can reshape the land you may have city locations that are very limited in population.
While a 25 pop dark elf city beats all other cities in yields, and a 25 pop high elf city beats all other arcanian cities in yields, both of them lack some infrastructure that puts them behind beastmen/draconians and highmen/nomad/orc/halflings at certain pop levels.

>what's the best wizard/race build?
5 Sorcery, 2 Life, 2 Chaos, Artificer, Runemaster as High Men

Neat. Guess it'll have a downside like -1000 diplomacy to spiritual empires or something.

So Dwarves would be extremely good rather than Dark Elves, giving the existance of this enchantement?
I was looking for tips in wizard creation: for example, what are the minimum life/nature picks required to cast all the town enchants?
Also, which are easier to find im the map, talents or spell picks?

youtube.com/watch?v=Z1m4lP5Nil8

>what are the minimum life/nature picks required to cast all the town enchants?

Well with 5 life spellbooks you'll be able to research 3/10 very rare spells, and there are 3 very rare town enchantments in the life school.

you need 10 spell books to guarantee that you get all 3 of them, and thus all 10 of them.

>So Dwarves would be extremely good rather than Dark Elves, giving the existance of this enchantement?
Dwarves may pay more taxes innately, but dark elves have access to banks and merchant guilds.

Also you get a buttload of money as high elves with the stream of life.

>Also, which are easier to find im the map, talents or spell picks?
Spellbooks are more common in any given node.
But Sorcery nodes can only yield Sorcery Spellbooks, not any other type of spellbook.
While you can learn Archmage from all types of encounter zones.

Drakken are a bit weaker than BL, so I'd say do them on impossible. As to expansion - with drakken you only need a few regions, BL on the other hand are extremely expansionist by design.

user my cat loved when I did that and absolutely hated when anyone tried to touch him with open palm.

Stars in Shadow coming out EA on the 19th anyone played it ? Is it any good ?

It's very simplistic, but it's good fun. Not sure if it's worh 25$, but is a decent game non the less. Still has better trade system than stellaris.

Thank you user.
EL is such a great game, I like it better than civ or stellaris, shame that It's not more popular.

I tested it a while back, and it was an unpolished Master of Orion 2.

It's okay, but I'm really surprised that they're releasing this early. Kind of simple and I do have some objections with the overall balance/mechanics of the game, but I've had fun with it. Enslaving all the weird shit in the galaxy and committing space genocide is kind of fun.

As the other user said it's kind of overpriced. I honestly wouldn't get it right now unless you're really craving for exactly this kind of game, and even then it's just kind of fun, not really great.

If there's interest, I can post about it on the 19th to see if the full release is a significant update.

Also Gremak Master Race.

It would get popular if it was marketed more like how they market Civilization.

The problem may be that a lot of people like the historical part of Civ and that its more casualized compared to EL which is deeper and the combat actually need you to plan it out if you have special abilities on your units.

DONT AUTO COMBAT against units with Stun, Beam attack etc...
The auto combat computer will do the same retarded move all the time.

I only Auto Combat when I have an overwhelming force.

Another tip, build military reguarly.

Heard there would be an update on the 19th.
But yes it seemed neat but not great yet.

Kind of suprised by the early release myself.
Would be appreciated if you could give a run down on the 19th

Oh, Event Horizon.

I'm psyched!

games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blog/493-endless-day-stream-celebration

Once in a while I consider making something like Aurora, because it's relatively easy to do this kind of development in C#. But I like realism, which means having realistic orbital mechanics, which means it's too much of a pain in the ass for the player to do navigation, which means the AI will end up doing it which isn't as fun.

Realistic orbital mechanics are pretty simple if you've taken physics
Just pretend relativistic effects don't exist, which is reasonable for most orbits that do not involve stellar remnants.

Which sounds better for an Earth-based Human empire?

Terran Pact, or Solune Pact?

Human space empires are hard to name; everything I googled was already taken.

Aurora 2 isnt the same as C# Aurora which is in the works right now by the dev

Soon. We will convert them to food first.

>Aurora 2 isn't the same as C# Aurora
>Aurora 2, written in C#,
?

>Ix'Idar star collective

God I hate those fucking worms! Its like a fast growing tumor.

>Aurora 2
a sequel written in C#
inactive since 2012 (?)

>C# Aurora
rewrite of VB6 Aurora into C#
the current, active project

Fucking worms boxed me in last game.

Ah makes sense

Last game I started in insanity I had them spawn right next to me and they were advanced AI (2 planets ahead). Managed to make a defensive pact with some other faction nearby to put the cancer to an halt.

I was in Ironmode and tried a rush. By around 20 years after start I attacked with 2.2k and two fortresses (level1). Faggots had 3k and superior armaments. I lost.

Its impossible on insanity to rush an advanced AI. Too much power. The best approach is to box them, make an alliance diplomatically and expand passive afterwards to gain momentum.

Also that hive mind tumor is KoS. They turn against you sooner or later and spread like cockroaches.

Now that I think of it, maybe if I had upgraded the spaceport and placed the fortresses next to it I could stand a chance.

I was hesitant to buy it at first, because of the fantasy setting and I personally like sci-fi and history better but it's at least not your typical orcs and elves, sure it's similar but still unconventional. I kinda fucked up my production with the vaulters that's why my military was pretty weak. Might have to do with the higher difficulty.

>tfw no one to play moo2 online with

Just play MoO3.

>accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update
J E W S

>Moo3
There is no Moo3.

There's Moo1, Moo2 and then the remake.

Yeah the mechanics themselves are simple. The problem is that it becomes too hard for the player to do strategic thinking when the time it takes to get from Earth to Mars varies wildly depending on the alignment of the planets.

Let me know if you have any more ponderings and how your game is going if you've started.

I made a chart a while back where I could put in pop numbers, cryxs near the city and so on to see which race yielded the most power.

Dark Elves are superior at pop 9-25 and pop 9 cities aren't hard to aim for, even if you cram a lot of them in there.
You don't have to go soley with one race as well. Some races may have weaknesses you can't easily cover up with magic.
Like in my current game I'm playing as halflings and their strength is high figure units, which make them very weak against spells that affect effery figure in the unit like Flame Strike.

It can also be good to have different races even if you don't plan to use their units.
There's a trade bonus in the game that goes up to 75%.
A city can get 3% trade bonus per pop, and it can fill that trade from various sources.
The +10% gold you get from settling on a coast, is a trade bonus. You don't actually get +10% bonus immediately, the city has to grow up to pop 4 to make use out of it.
Rivers give +20% trade bonus.
Then you can get a trade bonus from roads.
If you have two cities that are connected to eachother by roads, they give eachother a trade bonus based on the race and the pop.
I think it's +2% trade bonus per pop if it's another race, and +1% trade bonus per pop if it's the same race.
So a large road network on a huge continent and you can probably bring the trade bonus up to 75%, but on smaller continents it may be a problem.
Nomads get +50% trade bonus so they don't have to rely on roads.

When settling cities I tend to prioritize power generation though so generally dark elves are fine.
Rule of thumb:
pop 7-25 = dark elves
pop 1-6 and coastal = draconians
pop 1-6 and not coastal = beastman

Beastmen don't have access to the merchant guild while, draconians do, and it requires the city to be on the coast.

I actually liked MoO3 but then again im an Aurora player so i dont mind excel spreadsheets.

Just what did MoO3 did that made it so fucking awful? I heard nothing but hate for 3 and nothing but love for 2. How did they manage to fuck something up that bad?

>pop 7-25 = dark elves
I meant 8-25
then 1-7

>I actually liked MoO3 but then again im an Aurora player so i dont mind excel spreadsheets.
It wasnt even a good spreadsheet simulator. KILL YOURSELF.
I can't find the article, but basically the head artist they hired for the 3rd game was butt buddies with an executive. He threw out all the old school art designs, and then proceeded to tell the designers how to do their jobs too DESPITE NOT KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT GAME DESIGN, all with backing by the execs.

Also, I can't remember which part of this is accurate, but either Quicksilver Software, Inc. never had anyone from the original 2 games working on 3, or the artist pissed them off so bad they left. Either way, it released with none of the previous people who worked on the other two games having contributed to the 3rd much at all.

Different user here.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your opinion on Nomads? I've been thinking of getting into MoM and they seem like a good starting race.

I think they're very good.
I think it's the favourite race of one of my friends who got me into MoM.

Nomads, Orcs, High Men and High Elves are among the "Advanced Arcanian Races", so they have most infrastructure.

They have Rangers which is basically a unit of aragorns. They have pathfinding, a decent ranged attack and a decent melee attack, and they have 2 movement.
Most units have 1 movement, cav have 2 and some fast fliers have 3 basically.
Rangers are only 4 figure so I generally prefer Slingers and Longbowmen to them when it comes to ranged attackers.

Their Griffins is a top tier unit. First Strike and Armor Piercing like Elven Lords and Paladins, and they fly so they can initiate more and get more use out of the first strike.

The only thing I think they're really missing out on is magicians, but I don't always use them.

This looks pretty simple. What's good about it?

I liked MoO 3 as well, but shit is flung at it for good reasons.
It's awfully unpolished in its final (official) form and despite trying to make empire management comfy some of the mechanics like spying and ship design are an annoying chore.

>make sure to give us more of your money for something that should have been in our empty as fuck game from the beginning

Oh man, you should check out Paradox's other games. There's this whole subgenre of strategy roleplaying games called "grand strategy", all made by Paradox Interactive, all with 10+ DLC that add sprites, music, or gameplay changes that modders had already done.

I still can't over how they made Sabaton DLCs for EU4 and HoI4

Sabaton has the best music. It really makes me feel like I'm Renaissance Hitler.

youtube.com/watch?v=P9V-tGUou-M

Don't get me wrong, I love their music but I don't exactly listen to metal while playing grand strategy games.

Outside of some Iron Savior or Mechina while playing Stellaris, that is.

Wasnt the dlc for HoI4 just 4 songs of which 1 is actually new/made for the game?

>Sabaton
What?

retarded heavy metal shit for historical strategy games

5 songs and nope.

store.steampowered.com/app/415680/
store.steampowered.com/app/461800/

>heavy metal
>for historical strategy games
Huh.

There's ship design and turn based combat, some population mechanics that are okay. Oh, and combat is just stupidly brutal, where wars can depopulate a galaxy fast.
Personally I like that terraforming and the like is fairly late in the game, and population density is very important, so there's a very tangible benefit towards "acquiring" and distributing species across you empire, either as members or as slaves.
Trade is hugely improved by having good diplomatic relations with other empires, since you always want to expand your maximum number of active trade lanes, which means that aggressive empires lose out on profits (though it's unfortunately still really easy to make a fuckton of cash even if you're isolated). While easy, I enough of an easily pleased retard to enjoy planning out and building fully optimised planets with high pop density and no wasted/lacking labour force.

But it definitely is simple, and I get the impression that it isn't ever trying to be terribly complex. It just kind of works.
There's not a whole lot of micro involved, apart from fleets I guess. You can play it fairly quickly.

I like SiS, I've had fun with it, but it's not something I'd unconditionally recommend.

Paradox is horrible when it comes to DLC. CK2 has more than 60 DLCs by this point.
The game came out five years ago and they just announced another DLC. Making a badish base game and then adding DLC for at least half a decade seems to be their business model.

It was honestly a disgusting shock when I heard retarded metal screaming and chanting when I went to war in MEIOU & Taxes
Like seriously what the fuck

Could someone please upload steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220412890 this mod somewhere? It's literally the ONLY mod that doesn't work with the Steam Workshop downloader, and it's by far the most important one for me. Would be greatly appreciated

New blog!

forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-56-ascension-perks.994061/

Paradox deserves to go under.

Man, I'm a Sabaton fan and their music isn't exactly the kind of thing I'd listen to while playing a fucking grand strategy game

The Lion From the North sure goes well with watching two giant guys shoot at each other while a bunch of numbers go down. In fucking Bosnia.

>Paradox is horrible when it comes to DLC. CK2 has more than 60 DLCs by this point
I´m still wondering who has the shittier DLC policy: Paradox or Overkill or that Train Simulator game with like 4k€ worth of dlc

>Oh, and combat is just stupidly brutal, where wars can depopulate a galaxy fast.
As in planet cleansing that people have to re-populate later? Have you had a game where peace was declared and both sides had to recolonize and rearm?

Sounds bolo-esque if so.
>so there's a very tangible benefit towards "acquiring" and distributing species across you empire, either as members or as slaves.
No bio-engineering your own people?

Does AoW3 even HAVE dlc? I thought there was just that one expansion.

Honestly I liked Shadow Magic better. The new system where explored tombs give stupid bonuses to city irritates my autism because I feel like I have to settle next to them.

Most of the Paradox DLC is cosmetic stuff and I'd rather pay 10 bucks for an expansion that add a bunch of new mechanics than 7 bucks for a single heist, a gun that's either OP, a reskin or dogshit and a melee weapon that I'll never use.

Thanks fuck for the DLC unlocker

> militaristic Civ starts near me
> they attack me so I can't build shit and have to deal with them but I can't actually kill them
> militaristic Civ starts on another continent
> they take it over and have enough resources so I can't possibly outpace them in science or culture
How am I supposed to deal with these assholes without kamikaze level military investment? My last games were all ruined by Alexander, China, Caesar, or Napoleon. Even when I can defend myself just fine and not lose cities, weaker civs fall to these guys and make them more powerful and annoying.

>that add a bunch of new mechanics
In the new EU4 expansion, all features are in the free patch...except Splendor, which you need to not get shit on by the AI since the AI gets Splendor anyway.

>Does AoW3 even HAVE dlc?
Deluxe Edition DLC
Adds a Scenario and the OST

How will becoming completely synthetic work with the EVIL ROBUTTS REBELLION 'crises' at the end game.

maybe we will be able to join the rebellion.

You become the rebellion

Normies vs Robot Autists

>As in planet cleansing that people have to re-populate later?
As the Gremak in particular, my standard strategy for mid-to-late game wars against enemy empires is to orbital bombard the planet until all inhabitants are dead or the survivors rebel and secede from the enemy empire. As far as I can remember, the first option is more common.
I might make a exception if there's valuable species there that I don't want to drive to extinction (like the one race in the game that can naturally survive without oxygen).

You can do this in the early game too, it's just less efficient. It's one of the reasons I consider getting a planetary defence grid to be such a high priority, because even if it's not a mach for an actual fleet it is a hindrance to smaller groups of enemy light ships.

>Have you had a game where peace was declared and both sides had to recolonize and rearm?
That's often the case, although the AI generally wants to conquer rather than exterminate. Which is understandable, seeing as bombing destroys all infrastructure, making a potentially valuable planet worth much less. Also if the AI wants to fight you, do not expect any peace to last.
All the grey system names in pic related denote empty systems that I have depopulated and not bothered repopulate.

>No bio-engineering your own people?
Not that I can remember.

>19th?
its still unfinisfed and totally not balanced
also somewhat briken
ai also cant handle basic mechanics
wonder if i can still refund if i dont bought it on steam

Your empire is renamed "Cybrex" and start construction of a ring world. Now you know the rest of the story.

Yes please, buildable rings when.

looks comfy except that god awful font (fleet name)
what the hell

Oh boy where to start. As says the art director was in bed with the execs and shit on basically everything sensible to the point that the original designer from MoO1 was forced out of the project. The original guy actually wanted some really cool stuff in there like governmental corruption, religions forming and spreading along with a more traditional approach to the game with it more like MoO2 than the abomination that followed. The retarded art director on the other hand wanted absolutely insane needless complexity which at one point resulted in a build with over ONE HUNDRED GUI SCREENS to keep track of everything.

The high level of complexity was supposed to be offset by high amounts of automation which would let you focus on the big important things like expansion combat etc. Except the automation is coded like absolute shit which means you not only have to micro everything, you have to repeat said micro every turn as the automation tries its hardest to undo your work. The game also released during the massive piracy scare times with DRM so draconian you literally couldn't install the game if you had a CDRW drive.

The game had some cool concepts like the gasbag aliens who live in the upper atmospheres of gas giants which makes those planets not actual useless trash for everyone till late game and the Ithkul who are a bioweapon that literally eat other races and are justifiably hated and feared.
It also had some awful shit like the orion senate which you have a 50/50 chance of starting in unless you actually spend points in race creation to choose, it gives you instant coms with every other faction in it but this includes the resident super faction and this is a game with a "hate the human" AI so you get bombared with sabotage spies from turn 1 if you start in it. Including super race super spies

Eh the train simulator DLC policy is actually fine. It's an autistic game for top tier autists and you're only supposed to be buying the DLC that has the train/lines your particular brand of autism really likes. They're just catering to a lot of different flavors of autism.

>you have over a dozen systems
>the AI has one
how have you not won.

also, that's a small map

>how have you not won
I had, I was just waiting around to get all the end-game tech I hadn't seen before.

>also, that's a small map
Yeah, I generated a really small one.