How do you merge onto a highway on a manual car...

How do you merge onto a highway on a manual car? I'm concerned about this because you need to take your foot off the gas when you clutch in and shift so you slow down a little momentarily while the automatic behind you continues to speed up. It's just asking to get rear ended. Or if you successfully merge and you need to go from, say 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th, because you emerged from the merging lane in a lower gear because you needed to speed up faster. The soccer mom behind you is on her way to Costco and she's speeding and tailgating you. You try to shift gears and get booty bumped.

Obviously I'm not planning to go straight on the highway until I've had a few weeks practice, but I'm a little nervous thinking about it because I can't imagine the dynamics of driving a manual in that kind of environment.

THE SAME WAY YOU MERGE ANY OTHER TIME YOU FUCKING RETARD

DONT FEED THE TROLLS

GUESS YOU WERE TOO FUCKING STUPID TO TYPE YOUR QUESTION INTO GOOGLE

YOU HAD TO COME HERE SO WE COULD DEMEAN AND BELITTLE YOU

YOU FUCKIING KEK

Very informative, thanks.

RIDE THE BUS IF YOU'RE TOO SCARED OF HAVING CONTROL OVER ANY ASPECT OF YOUR LIFE

do all underage b&'s overthink driving as hard as you?

You didn't know? You rev up high, and shift from 2nd to 4th when around 65. Some cars might need to be put in 5th gear.

>what is inertia

Thats because you are granny shifting not double-clutching like you should.

>you need to take your foot off the gas when you clutch in and shift so you slow down a little momentarily while the automatic behind you continues to speed up
Hardly. Sounds like you just need to git gud.

How long do you take to shift????
I've literally never had problems merging onto the highway with my slow peace of shit 2004 honda civic. If you're losing enough speed to get hit on the highway while shifting you're a fucking retard.

Well whenever you shift near the top, all the unburnt fuel and all 24lbs of boost go to your str8 pipes and mix to create a 50 foot jet of flame.

It always makes tailgaters back off.

just accelerate like a man
speed up until 1500 rpm before redline and then shift into next gear
You'll be relativly quickly beyond the speed limit

Double clutching is not necessary in a synchronized transmission.

Die.

>user is so retarded he takes 10 seconds to shift
Protip most autos lag for a fraction of a second when they up shift too.

>It's just asking to get rear ended.
It's the following car's responsibility not to crash into you. It's not your task to race away from them.

This isn't Fast and Furious, buddy. There's objectively no reason to double clutch in modern cars.

Since when is merging onto highways difficult, or at least, merging in a manual?

The way I was taught, for I was taught in a manual car, is to know the speed you're at and calculate what gear you need to be in. Then, only keep an eye on that and concentrate on the traffic around you and see when is the appropriate time to merge.

Yes, you'll meet the usual idiot who will overtake you no matter what but if you have constant obversation, you can react appropriately.

In other words, stop being such a pussy and confused by the third pedal.

You fucking tool lol

OP's question is retarded, but I have one that is legit.

As someone interested in buying his first standard transmission car soon, what are some things that may not be very apparent, but are notedly different when driving a manual car vs an auto that are less than common knowledge and good to know before before heading out and learning to drive a standard?
Basically, what are some things that are good to learn that you wouldn't necessarily learn on your own just by driving and learning your car?

All these threads about downshifting, double clutching, manual transmissions in general and now this really make me almost glad that manual is dying. Because holy shit if it's THAT FUCKING HARD to you people then I don't wanna share the roads with you preoccupied with every single movement you make. Talk about overthinking, Jesus Christ.

NOTHING YOU RETARD

THE WORLD DOESNT CHANGE BECAUSE OF THE TRANSMISSION IN YOUR FUCKING CAR

STOP BUMPING THIS SHIT THREAD YOU MOTHERFUCKING NEWFAG

One thing I would have liked to know and would have set my mind at ease is the fact that the gearbox is notchy and guided. There is no uncertainty about shifting into gear or the direction you're supposed to go. It's very intuitive and easier than I anticipated

Rev match downshifting is really the only thing not inherent to practice. Some idiots just use the clutch to spin the engine up. Better for the car to just blip the throttle before releasing the clutch. Also practice hill starts in a safe place before you have to do it for real. Superior method is to push both gas and brake pedal with your right foot instead of monkeying with the parking brake.

obviously you put your accelerator to the floor and dump the clutch to merge onto the highway

I'm most likely going to get the new Si when it's released which will have hill assist to help while I'm learning.
My buddy let me learn a little on his camaro in hs and I had to drive my buddys standard cobalt home in uni when he was too drunk, so I have some limited experience, just don't know much in the way of advanced things that maybe I take for granted in an auto

You won't be shifting that much on the highway.
If anything, you can stay in 5th or 6th and merge like an auto.
It's really not hard you're over thinking it

He's asking about merging into highway trading from an in ramp.
Not that it's anything special when driving a standard.

Reach 60 on third while on the ramp. Shift to 4th and merge in. The car won't slow down when you're in overdrive.

Look at what, an actually useful piece of advice rather than a meme or an insult.

This a thousand times.

It's incredibly hard to shift in to the wrong gear.

>muricans

If you're slowing down to the point where it becomes an issue during shifts you're taking too damn long to change gear.

Seriously, a gear shift should take no longer than three seconds, and that's pushing it.

Also I doubt anyone would tailgate you to the point where any loss of velocity would cause them to bump into you.

Here's your (You).

Are you retarded? The shifting should not slow you down to any significant extent if you are competent.
Give it gas, shift at 3000rpm or whatever is optimal for your gearbox.
You can do a block upshift if necessary.

He's making a joke and informing op that you can shift relatively quickly. You don't need to wait 5 seconds to change from one gear to the next. I fell for the bait

I'm somewhat new to the board and I'm a new driver so I didn't get it. I guess I will need to practice my driving more. I think the reason I slow down is because I try to come off the clutch very slowly to avoid the car jerking forward. I think if I drive more I'll get confident enough with the clutch to let off smoothly, faster.

Are you crazy? I hope you like paying for new transmissions. Like, how lazy do you have to be to granny shift even though you know it's going to make your tranny a total write off in a couple thousand miles. Get off Veeky Forums and learn to drive, idiot.

You can go up to the biting point pretty quickly, the let it out a bit slower the rest of the way and roll back on the gas at the same time.

When merging in a 5 speed, at highway speeds, you go one gear above your highest, so 4th. This is your highway passing gear. You'll feel a small pull on your body if you out the pedal down. You could also merge in 3rd gear and get a real fast pull and it's loud. I bet everyone here does it in 3rd because it's obnoxiously loud and more fun.

Practice your redlining at night on a big highway alone. Take 2nd close to redline and remember that speed. Do the same for 3rd. Watch for cops in 3rd because mine will go up to like 85 or so before it redlines. 4th you probably can't redline it. I've never tried, too fast senpai.

Tfw top out in 4th gear at 126mph

>like this
rrrrrrrrrrrrVRU-k-chk-ROOOOOOM

>posts a pic of some normalfag shitting his gay 3/4 chinos
How fitting

Stay in second and redline it. Even if you shift to third you will most likely be close to peak power, so you just press the throttle if you need more sped.

Do you really think the almost imperceptible loss in acceleration when spending one second switching gears in a manuel will slow you down enough to cause an accident?

What is this nocar shit