Why this car and its DBW steering triggers every """car guy""" so much?

Why this car and its DBW steering triggers every """car guy""" so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2017/01/19/tesla-crash-rate-autopilot-nhtsa/amp/?client=ms-android-att-us
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i dont even know what you are talking about

but im sure that even if i did i really wouldnt care

because my own car is set up just the way i like it

and my next car will be as well

because muh road feel and electric anything is bad

like anyone can feel the road in some pigfat 4000 lb barge anyway

fake steering
fake power
fake news
fake dicks

Hi grandpa. Let me explain it for you. New cars are going full electric steering. There's no more power steering pump to worry about, one less drive accessory on the engine, reducing weight and increasing efficiency. At the cost of the driver no longer having no real connection to the road.

>no real connection to the road.
you're in a fucking 2 ton box separated from the road by a million pieces of rubber and metal no matter how your steering works ya dingus

>he thinks that DBW steering is the same thing as Electric power steering
how does it feel to be an actual mouthbreathing retard

It's a critical component that used to be a reliable, metal, mechanical part being replaced by electronics, which means it's manufactured by the lowest bidder by children being paid 20 cents an hour in a cancer factory in china. The wiring and servos will also corrode or wear out (respectively) far faster than a traditional steering rack would, so it won't last. It's also susceptible to not just manufacturing defects, but software problems. So if the code monkey writing this shit has been working for 32 hours straight and can't feel his heartbeat anymore because he's taken 20 caffeine pills, and puts a semicolon in the wrong spot, the software might test fine but then under actual use you'll be tooling along one day and the car suddenly steers you into an oncoming semi truck because some other part of the ECU confused the steering software in an unpredictable way. The first five cases will be chalked up to driver error until an insurance adjuster actually does his fucking job and finds the real problem, at which point the company will accept a relatively non-damaging fine and issue a recall. Just hope you're not one of the first cases that get swept under the rug. Or a case at all.

i am honestly suprised that not one fuckface thought to impliment this shit 15 years ago

that only now is somthing that is so common sense would only now be added to modern cars

This is the real issue. Reliability goes to shit when you complicate things like this

EPS is shitty right now so people don't like it. It's overboosted and makes the steering numb, like a videogame. Once manufacturers learn to have feedback from the road again, nobody will complain.

Wasn't GT-R already impossible to steer without all the computers onboard? While cornering it adjusts every 1/100 of a second because the heavy landboat won't turn otherwise.

Kinda like the B2 planes, etc, they are engineered so unstable that they need computers to fly them but that's the only way to get the unreal performance.

electric steering is fine as long as it's assisted and not overboosted.
Drive by wire is shit.

>Kinda like the B2 planes
also F16, F22, F35, you name it.

i have read somewhere that "joystick" in F16 prototypes didn't even. and pilots were furious about lack of feedback

every passenger jet you fly on has drive by wire controls

this shit has been figured out for a long time now, you are being paranoid

the X-35 had a similar issue, was fixed in software. now it can hold a slide angle better than any other non-thrust vectored craft

because they are trying to make every-fucking-thing in cars a delicate fucking computer just because >IS MODERNN!!!!1, when mechanical systems will do just as fine if not better and more reliably

>delicate fucking computer
>delicate
>computer
lol k

one sensor goes bad and you can:
>overheat because your cooling fan didn't turn on
>run rich because the sensor in the exhaust is dirty
>kills ignition at highway speeds because the main engine controller shits itself
all three have happened to me

feel free to go back to an air cooled, carbureted, mechanical ignition car then, i'm sure they never have reliability issues

Which happens rarely
>LOL wuts QA?

I'm saying that engine computers are designed for failure when the sensors stop working. why wouldn't you lock the fan on when the temperature probe is known not working?

so you dont burn your fuckin fan out genius

also the computer doesnt know when a temp sensor isn't working, it just interprets whatever voltage it gets and sends the signal to the gauge, which will usually be all the way cold, and if your car is at running temp and the gauge shows cold, you know something's wrong

fan is cheaper than the temperature probe, or engine parts when it overheats and welds to itself

>also the computer doesnt know when a temp sensor isn't working
depends on how it fails
total failure would read near zero resistance, which shouldn't happen in any engine condition

Feels like a good idea for a DD but not a sports car.

>car overheats
>steam spewing from under hood
>"well my fan isn't on, so my car must be fine!"
>keep driving another 15 minutes
>coolant boils away
>engine seizes

you seem retarded enough to do that i guess

>Wasn't GT-R already impossible to steer without all the computers onboard
Probably not.

Oh yeah, it's not like there are currently faults in existing cars that have slipped by QA before. It's not like people tell you to avoid first year models because they still need to iron out the kinks or anything.

Drive by wire is fucking stupid. You want to know why?

>>Driving
>>Start to make a turn
>>Power gets cut because of some problem
>>Steering no longer works
>>Fly right into the sidewalk instead of completing the turn

Even fucking Tesla's still have a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels for this reason alone. It's like some of you faggots don't actually know anything about cars or something.

Btw, there are THOUSANDS of passenger aircraft and there are like... 5 of them and only 2 of which make like 50-100 planes each a year. Jets and Fighter Jets are also tens of millions of dollars. Those companies also shit bricks every year trying to make sure everything works perfectly down to a 'T' because one fuckup = hundreds of people die and billions of dollars in suits, fines, and legal fees.

By comparison, there are a fuckload of auto manufacturers that make tens or hundreds of thousands of cars a year that cost tens of thousands of dollars each. They're also constantly trying to find ways to cut costs and maximize margins.

There are companies that can't make basic pieces of a vehicle last more than a few years, why the fuck would I trust them to make a fool-proof drive by wire system where I have literally no control if something were to go wrong? At least with a steering rack I can always resort to using manual arm strength to get me out of harm's way.

>Driving
>Start to make a turn
>Power gets cut because of some problem
>Steering no longer works
>Fly right into the sidewalk instead of completing the turn
wow that sure is a scary hypothetical and completely made up situation, i'm sure all your years of technical expertise on the subject went into creating that scenario

>It's like some of you faggots don't actually know anything about cars or something.
oh the irony

>Those companies also shit bricks every year trying to make sure everything works perfectly down to a 'T' because one fuckup = hundreds of people die and billions of dollars in suits, fines, and legal fees.
And you dont think the same goes for car companies, you fucking moron? Something goes wrong with one of their cars and they need to recall them or face a lawsuit, that is a monumental fuckup and will cost them big time. You think the airplane manufacturers have to answer to authorities, but car manufacturers don't? Are you even thinking about what you're writing?

Not to mention the fact that these computers are sealed boxes that don't have to interact with any kind of third party hardware or software, it's not like you're going to use it to go look up whatever hentai and get a virus that makes your car crash.

Also, P.S., drive by wire technology has been around for decades, even in passenger cars... it's not like it's a new cutting edge technology that people haven't figured out

If you remove 600 lbs from it, the car becomes slower. It's that overengineered.

If you removed all the computers micromanagering the suspension it would steer like a 90s Caprice wagon.

>2 ton

lolcanturn detected

>I believe everything I read on carthrottle
>micromanagering

get out

>all these people ITT afraid of drive by wire like it's going to just show up in the 20 year old honda civic one day

They didn't have to. CAFE standards were lower.

>Not to mention the fact that these computers are sealed boxes that don't have to interact with any kind of third party hardware or software, it's not like you're going to use it to go look up whatever hentai and get a virus that makes your car crash.

Wired magazine featured that Jeep Cherokee that got hacked while on the highway.

>There's no more power steering pump to worry about

Electric supply dies and steering becomes heavy. At least with hydraulic steering, nothing else got connected to the pump (headlights, heater fan, boom box) that would fail and take the system down.

Won't compile with a semicolon missing. *smug as hell look right now

>sensor == computer

this

Huh? This would be a failsafe mechanism, not full-time. Check engine light could flash to show you it's serious, and at least you're engine wouldn't overheat.

Not if the sensor defaults to hot when it's not working. I'm not saying that's the way all cars are, but it's not like there isn't an elegant solution that has a good failsafe if it's designed properly.

or this

good point about volume and cost of planes vs. cars

which cars?

ha

Planes are substantially more rigorously inspected and maintained than cars, though. Come on, user. Everyone knows what a pre-flight check is, and they're done whenever a plane is scheduled to leave the ground.
Plenty of people do fuckall to their cars other than put gas and MAYBE tires on them.

planes are safer than cars because more people notice when one of them crash, not because the technology is better. that was just something that had to happen to keep the industry rolling

a sensor is a computer's aperture

It handled fine even without all those "computers" just like the Evo.

People underestimate the effect of decent rubber and half-ass decent suspension geometry.

As a person who's driven several because it lacks feel, its too light, feels artificial, etc. Its great for a luxury car (and comparable to say, Mercedes/Lexus) but horrible for a sports sedan (comparing to BMW or Cadillac).

On that note Cadillacs impress me, but it feels like they're still at Infiniti/Acura level of fit/finish/desirability but keep trying to charge BMW/Mercedes money (at which that point I go to the Mercedes dealer).

I believe the new Infiniti does not have a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the rack.
A column is there as a failsafe but everything is normally done electronically, by wire.
So all feedback is 100% fake.
It's the difference new cars that pipe in engine noise through an adjustable valve and cars that just play engine tunes through the speakers.
It's 50% fake vs 100% fake.

that was using the tire pressure sensor, not fucking drive by wire steering

The same reason people don't like self driving cars. They think they can drive better than a computer.

Tesla's crash rate reduced by 40% since the introduction of autopilot.

google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2017/01/19/tesla-crash-rate-autopilot-nhtsa/amp/?client=ms-android-att-us

insurance claims lawyer here. hall of fame quality post, gj.

When the electric supply dies your car will just stop

ICE death soon

Yeah I know what you mean. I walk into an infiniti dealer and see the sticker prices on the vehicles and I just don't get the feeling that the cars are worth that much. It's not even that they're much more expensive than their competitors, it just seems like they should be cheaper.