It’s a belief of mine that personal income shouldn’t be discussed among close friends unless under reasonable...

It’s a belief of mine that personal income shouldn’t be discussed among close friends unless under reasonable circumstances (e.g., cohabitation). It seems a particular friend of mine can’t help but make his and/or other’s income a topic of conversation whether during casual hangouts or blatantly in public. I graduated college about a year and make a modest salary— enough to pay my bills and save a little for myself. I haven’t told this friend how much I earn despite the fact hes asked on several occasions. I may come off as trying to be some sort of enigma business guy but, going back to my first point, friends generally shouldn’t talk about their incomes.

Am I on to something, or is my friend just a nosy prick?

Your friend is kind of a retard. Wonder what his motives are for trying so much.

Golddigger? Manipulator? Whatever. Just tell him you got everything in Bitcoin.

I've never had anyone ask me how much I earn.

if they did I'd probably tell them
>According to a 2015 survey by X trade magazine, people that work in Y field make an average of Z dollars.

who cares, I talk openly about my salary with people. Are you insecure? If they are actually your friend there shouldn't be many topics off limits. He probably thinks you deal drugs. It's the jew bosses who want to keep this a norm so people don't realize they should ask for a raise.

Why don't you talk about your salary? Embarrassed? My friends and I constantly talk about money. Not to show off, but because it's nice to get advice and guidance from your friends. If I make a bad investment, I tell them. Maybe they won't make the same mistake I did. Sorry to hear that you're so insecure.

Low level workers don't discuss salaries out of embarrassment.

Once you reach a higher level of income, people within that tier become pretty open about how much their salary and total compensation are since they are constantly trying to see if they are compensated "fairly."

When you get to C level, you try to hide your salary and especially your RSUs

It's a massive social faux pas to ask a friend what they earn. You're friend was raised wrong, is autistic or is more an acquaintance than a friend.
If you surrender the information voluntarily that's your choice. If you talk ball park or you're discussing work and he asks in a round about, general terms how you're sitting, you can respond with "im doing ok" or "middling, nothing special".

People form superficial judgements based on money and peoples perceived wealth. This is an indisputable fact. Friends and family avoid most of these judgements by removing wealth from the relationship. People who need to know this or repeatedly ask directly "what do you earn" are sociopaths who value relationships purely by what they can get out of them and nothing more.

That's why half the autists on this board will try and justify the behavior, they have no meaningful or functional relationships of their own..

Rich people dont need to show off.
Shoving your "wealth" into every ones face is massive poorfag behaviour.

Mentality's vary.

I think among friends it's not best to bring it up, but if asked, and looking to compare notes it's fine to discuss it with friends.

It helps friends keep a social idea of salary's, fair wages, and the cost of goods.

I think the old tradition of people closely guarding their income amount was based upon the rich keeping the poor from knowing how hard they were getting fucked.

What's wrong with it, though?

I know what my parents, boss, and friends make.

No they don't, at least in Europe. Money makes people jealous, that's why it's not discussed too much. As a person with relatives and family who are multi/millionaires and a close relative married to a person who is probably 20-50 mill away from being a billionaire. It's not discussed because it's not a big deal and money is more of a "Oh yeah I'm doing fine" and you don't care about what the other people make.

It's the same as they don't say "What do you do for living?" but, "So how do you spend your time?" as it's tacky to assume they do it just for a living. Most rich people spend so much time in their calling that it's not for living, it's literally things they ENJOY.

These.

i had a friend that constantly asked me about personal things but not in a friendly, moderate way.
that's what people do. if you are too quiet they suddenly ask you about income and gf. you just have to play it off and ignore their bullshit.

theres an unwritten rule to never ask people what they make, just like you wouldn't tell people randomly how much you make.

If aI have a friend who thinks money is a taboo subject, then I dont the

100% this

it's just a number, what's your hang-up?

in fact, the whole mystery about salaries is deeply artificial. it's a made-up concept by employers so employees have the weakest negotiating position possible. you can't compare or band together that way.

i realize it's super handy, i run a business with employees myself. but i tend not to be an asshole about it and pay people fair salaries even though it technically comes out of my pocket. negotiating raises individually sucks and tends to create a lot of discontent among the workforce so both sides have incentive to either keep salaries equal or very private.

i still feel everyone loses with private and unequal salaries instead of having open and honest relationships with each other. it creates this ugly cut-throat climate where everyone tries to stab everyone else in the back and where you end up overpaying shitheads and underpaying the loyal but timid workhorses. i don't want to participate in those games. back when i was still employed i used to go around and privately ask my peers what they earn before i had my performance review. it was usually fairly obvious where i was in terms of productivity so i knew exactly what to ask for and be entirely justified.
i try to do the same with my employees. if you're better you'll get a raise, not if you're sneakier, more aggressive during negotiations or if you give me a blowjob. i'm paying for work done well, nothing else.

you're salry shouldn't be a secret. you should proudly announce it as fair compensation of the work you do.

Wait are you guys shitposting or are you actually autistic?

The only reason that discussing salary became taboo was because rich business owners didn't want their employees to know how hard they're getting fucked.

If you allocate $60k per employee, and you can get someone to accept $45k for the same position, you've saved $15k for doing absolutely nothing. The only way that'll happen is if people don't know how much their colleagues are getting paid.

So, again, I'll ask: are you shitposting or just autistic?

And when I say "autistic" I'm not talking about the hurr so funny meme, I mean literally autistic. People on the spectrum have trouble understanding social interaction, especially more complex concepts like making a subject taboo so you can take advantage of people's ignorance.

i think income is an ok subject to talk about with very very close friends, like the ones you have known since childhood or the ones you hang out with all the fucking time for years and years.

The reason why i say this is because there needs to be competition in the world. thats why there are so many poor people because they all assume they make alot.
Another reason i say this is because sometimes good friend DO need help with financial situations.. so if they start talking about income and bills, im not gunna stop them and say... hey.. lets not talk about that. they are obviously in a situation and might need help.

Should you talk about money to random strangers? no.. FUCK NO.
Im a pretty wealthy guy, but i don't let ANYONE know, only my closest friends know my situation.. everyone else could fuck right off when it comes to talking about money

This is the ONLY acceptable reason for not discussing income. If you have your own business, if you're independently wealthy, if you aren't employed at the same "level" as other people, then it's fine to not discuss income.

But if you work for somebody else, you have literally no reason not to talk wages/salary with your coworkers and a *ton* of reason TO TALK ABOUT IT.

Unless you like being a wagecuck, salaries should be openly discussed if you're employed by someone else.

>Shoving your "wealth" into every ones face is massive poorfag behaviour.

Pretty common behavior in the Ghetto and among American blacks.

Here is the rule:

If you are poor yourself or you are around other people that make average or worse income, then it is socially awkward to talk about how much you make. If the topic is ever brought up around poor people be extremely vague.

Now if you are actually making a good amount of money for yourself, we're talking top 5%, you have investments, real estate, businessess, etc, then it is perfectly acceptable to talk to other high-earners that also have a complicated tax situation. But only with other rich people. Hide your power level from the poor normies.

I think you're forgetting that all wagecucks have the same mentality. They don't have anything themselves so everything is a pissing contest. Most people think they deserve more than their peers. So if everybody learns their coworkers' salaries, everyone except the person making the most is going to be unhappy.