I thought these cars engines were supposed to be as powerful as they are volatile

I thought these cars engines were supposed to be as powerful as they are volatile.

Why would someone want the performance and power of a k20 series with 1/8th of the durability and v8 fuel economy?

Other urls found in this thread:

rx8club.com/series-i-major-horsepower-upgrades-93/414-whp-esmeril-racing-turbo-rx-8-a-159170/
rx8club.com/series-i-major-horsepower-upgrades-93/13b-rew-swap-finished-161226/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because doritos

also because it's still fun as hell to drive, supposedly

Because revs and they're basically 2+2 hardtop NC miatas.

Because a man can lift it up by himself

>they're basically 2+2 hardtop NC miatas.

no the NC is a short rx8 with reliable engine

The engine is fine unless it gets treated like shit.

Plus, the car has really good handling with semi-usable backseats.

>The engine is fine

>unless it gets treated like shit

I know, right? If you can deal with the fuel consumption just get a Vette so you at least get some actual power, and if you want revs just get an S2000.
And if you're fine with unreliability maybe get a BMW or something.

and a broken clock is right 2x a day

The fact that it's unlike ANY OTHER car on the road, was the big selling point and reason to get one. The world isn't a fucking bench race where you throw specs and numbers at each other. STFU and drive one and tell us how they are.

I mean shit, have you ever fired a black powder gun? Completely inferior to modern guns, cost a bit to load and shoot, slow to load, a pain in the ass, but man it's worth it.

Unless it's digital.

Vettes get better mpg, especially on the highway.

unless whats digital

The broken clock.

Shit I wasn't expected 27-28 MPG. Why aren't Vettes more popular??? Some of the hot 4 bangers struggle to get 28-30 mpg highway

>unlike ANY OTHER car on the road,

but it was like the FD and the NC

you retarded?
the rx8 was the MOST half assed car to ever exist

>slightly update AWFUL engine design
>lengthen NC miata chassis and shove the renesis in
>add hatch
>lmao1back door

the black powder gun is a worthless analogy, kid

i dont understand

A broken digital clock, like the one in the pic, is not right twice a day.

I just mean wankels in general dude why are they so weak when they're supposed to be so powerful?

>everyone shitting on the 8

Evidently none of you have driven one and you've all missed the point entirely.

Hey that helps keeps their prices down low, shhhh

but the renesis a shit

Respond

>Why doesn't a 1.3 liter that weighs less than my mom make more than 200hp?
Stop being a retard.

Rotard delusion.

No engine configuration is "powerful". Engines are powerful, depending on how you define the cutoff point of "powerful". But configurations? No. They don't exist, they're design paradigms.

the rx8 was not wankel powered...?

If you treat it like shit.

Good ones aren't, at least.

Glad to see some people here still have common sense

the rx8 rotary is the renesis
fucking LSposting children

Wankel refers to the specific rotary design used, named after its inventor Felix Wankel. Not a name like Renesis.

Kek

I lucked out and happened into one as my first car when I was 16. Long story short, it was free, cool, but a ton of trouble. The guy who had it before me had a nice stereo system in there too. No powered amps or anything, but still nicer than anything Id really seen before. It was cool as hell being 16 with a car like that. Definitely enjoyable, besides the whole drinking gas thing.

There was always something wrong with it. A lot of it was the fact that I didnt take the best care of it plus I had to learn to drive the 6 speed in it. The rest was that the guy before me lived in a place they would salt the roads in winter, and he hadnt properly protected the undercarriage and it rusted out badly. I had it about 3 years until it became more trouble than it was worth. It was fun while it lasted. Not many teenagers get the chance to have a car like this as their first car. My gf and I felt cool as all hell going to prom or homecoming dressed up all nice in a nice car.
If nothing else, I got the opportunity to learn to drive stick. That's something most 20-something year olds cant say.

I don't know why they thought putting a torqueless wonder of an engine in a pigfat chassis was a good idea.

That Mazda hasn't put a tuned R4 in a production car is a travesty

The brilliant thing is with how much hate they get there will be thousands of teens who pick one up for double wishbone master race

Well, the RX-8 13B Renesis is a pos. No one wants that. The 13B REW is where it's at. Single turbo REW can handle a lot of power stock, the same cannot be said for the Renesis.

>super lightweight NA 1.3l engine that makes 230hp
>people still call it weak

3000 lbs is not pigfat user

For a car that small with a supposedly light engine it is. That's Corvette tier.

C6/C5 is 200 lbs more

Also 4 seats and 4 doors.

Depending on transmission type and trim, an FD can weigh anywhere from 2700 - 3000lbs.

Rx8 is not a miata chassis, is not a hatchback and it has four doors.

What fucking car are you talking about.

Rotaries save weight and can make huge gains in hp per rotor.

Rx8 should have been 3 rotor. With the ability to turn one off to "save fuel"

vettes get better mpg when you're driving it on the freeway like the average 50-year old in a vette

> add hatch
> 1 back door?

it has two smaller reverse backdoors and no hatch

Rx8 actually is based on the NC Miata. Suspension components are the same.

>but don't you know it's a 1.3 litre
kys senpai

They share the front sway bars, and camber arms for the rear suspension.

So literally nothing at all.

People have reported getting 300 RWHP+ from boosted MSPs. Not bad at all desu from a motor not built for FI.

rx8club.com/series-i-major-horsepower-upgrades-93/414-whp-esmeril-racing-turbo-rx-8-a-159170/

A tuned 1.3 'busa motor puts out that and weighs less. The rotary is a useless boat anchor.

>tuned

Busa motor is about 200 lbs without airbox and throttle bodies

Renesis is 260 lbs fully dressed

Wait what? Im advocating for the car not bashing it

Basically exactly what happened to me.
Delusional memers keep the prices down. Its wonderful.

You dumb little cunt

>giving stupid, dumb, tripfag scum attention
>ever

I'm fucking retarded. That was meant for
Not sure how that happened.

All is forgiven

For its time, it did have one thing going for it:
30nm/deg torsional rigidity. It was one of the first cars designed with serious use of computer aided design. Most 4 door cars at the time had half that rigidity, and only today, more than 10 years later, is that rigid of a chassis standard in a four door car. It was much stiffer than most two door cars of the time, and for many years after, as well.

While it's not powerful, it's still got a 0-60 time similar to the FR-S, S2000, and so on. It's still fun, revving it up so high. Its interior is driver centered and nice. It's seats are crazy comfortable for a sportscar, without compromising feedback. It's shifter is really amazing. So on, and so forth.

For the price at the time, it was too much for its power to weight not being good enough. But with how much they've appreciated, they're amazing deals. You can't get a car less than 8 years old (a 2009+ model that is, as I'd avoid the older ones) for that money that is that well engineered and designed. You can't get one for that much money that is as much as a drivers car as it.
And while the Renesis is hard to tune, the chassis is fantastic and gives you a lot to work with if you want to do a serious build.

>dorito
>powerful
lel notorks

Emissions, friend...

>powerful
In the scheme of rotaries, getting as much HP out of they did with a 2-rotor setup and no turbochargers was alright for cars limited by the gentleman's agreement (about 110-115HP per rotor, beats the pants off 13B or 12A when naturally aspirated, though comparing to engines made 20 years earlier or more is silly).
>volatile
Yeah, early engines from the RX-8 are actually less reliable than the 13B-REW. Fucking nips reduced the amount of oil squirted into the engine, making the apex seals take more abuse than in the FD.

As for OP's question, I don't know why anyone would want an RX-8 if they weren't a 19 year old girl or had some other reason for thinking their sportscar just had to have a backseat. The FD does everything the RX-8 does, better, aside from being a comfortable commuter vehicle.

>engine burns a maximum oft 1.3l of fuel per ignition cycle
>not a 1.3l engine
Please enlighten me to the mental gymnastics it obviously took to arrive at this conclusion

Not him but I don't see how you got that out of what was said in his post.

You should stop fighting windmills, Don.

The 8 is said to be significantly easier to handle at the limit than the FD was.

And maybe some just like the look of it? I personally really do.

I've seen 500rwhp on e85.

>a tuned motor makes more power than a non tuned motor

who fucking knew, a tuned motor puts out more horsepower than a stock motor! try again, retard

Stupidly tall final gear

It's not really a stock engine after being rebuilt 5 times. Most duritofags upgrade their shit during the bi-monthly apex seal replacement.

A properly maintained engine requires a rebuild every 100k.

I don't know of any rotaries with over 500k miles.

Vettes have 3 overdrive gears and stock they force you to shift from 1st to 4th by locking out 2nd and 3rd if you're too high in 1st gear, a light on the dash actually lights up and shows 1 -> 4. That is why you see people farting them through first gear and then driving them lazily after they shift.

This is perfectly fine with me because there is a shit ton of torque and it's nice to skip the gears, you can get 40mpg on the highway in a vette doing 55mph and a few mods like an underdrive pulley and lightweight titanium exhaust.

under rated post

> 1.3L of fuel per ignition cycle

Even ship diesels probably can't do that.

Yeah, I appreciated reading it but I didn't have anything intelligent to say in response.

>aside from being a comfortable commuter vehicle
There's your answer

Some people do more than attack the toe gay at night with their lives

>go to black powder expo
>shoot rifle
>sparks fly into my face and burn it

Glad we have smokeless powder nowadays

They are insanely powerfull, but mazda refuses to put anyting over 1.3L in their sports cars and the RX-8.
If it was a conventional engine of that sieze, it would have even less power.

You could build a 2.6L version of it and it would have doubble the power.

Oh, and I meant to write 30k nm/deg torsional rigidity, not 30, obviously.

So user I'm actually interested in a "serious build" per se and there's a 2010 RX8 R3 for sale nearby.
Could you give me an idea of my options? Will I have to swap the renesis out completely? Pic related, has 112,000 miles and I can literally pick it up tomorrow

Busrider

>Could you give me an idea of my options? Will I have to swap the renesis out completely? Pic related, has 112,000 miles and I can literally pick it up tomorrow

Yes. You will need to do a built motor. Otherwise you can spend $10,000 just getting like 10%-15% more power out of the Renesis.

There are tons of swap options.
-13b-REW in the FD, which is good from anywhere from another 50% to 200% more power over stock and way more torque in a streetable car.
-3 rotor, whether NA or turbo. Usually people cut the firewall for these to mount them deep back, to keep the 50/50 balance when rear seats and such are removed.
-Renesis/GSL-SE hybrid. The GSL-SE 13b had a different cooling jacket to the other 13b engines which matches up to the Renesis fine. This gives you a crazy amount of exhaust area which is especially useful for turbo. But it's not straight forward. Usually you'd use Renesis rotors since the side seals line up, but then you need longer apex seals.
-Built Renesis with a custom periphrial exhaust port. Like above, except you keep to keep the short Renesis Apex seals which are far more durable and it doesn't come with a lot of other problems that come with a Renesis/GSL-SE hybrid. I'd like to try this one day. The new problem that comes up is if the work is shoddy, and you get a crack in that added port. Since you know, you have to drill a hole, then fill in the water jacket. Oh, and for the love of god, don't just drill a circle and put a pipe in there. You want something more rectangle shaped, with the chamber side opening down a bit low for less overlap, and the size of a stock 13b-REW exhaust or half the size, really.
-Pistons

You also can't use the 6speed in the RX-8 because it can't handle enough power. It's basically the MX-5 transmission with an extra gear.

rx8club.com/series-i-major-horsepower-upgrades-93/13b-rew-swap-finished-161226/ Here's an example. All the factory equip still working. Cost is "a lot".

>v8 fuel economy
v10 fuel economy.
I know of 5.3 LS Chevy trucks that get better mileage.

So not driving 130 mph in the carpool lane. ok

>130 mph
IsnĀ“t the RX-8 capble of 147 mph?

Really? From what I've seen folks get 300 RWHP with just a bolt on turbo.

Unless the dude wants 500 WHP I don't think a PP is necessary

Even 300rwhp in a Renesis with a turbo tends to seriously hurt reliability unless the motor is fully built, from what I've seen.

Backpressure hurts the engine a lot. It can already hardly get exhaust out quickly enough on an NA engine.

So to open up the motor to port/polish, plus adding alcohol injection, new exhaust, new ignition coils, new fuel injectors, the turbo obviously, and so tends to be around $15k to get 300rwhp on a Renesis.
I could be wrong (I know more about the older engines), but from the bit that I've seen those turbo Renesis seem to last significant less than an equivalent higher powered 13b/13b-REW.

For that money, you can pretty much do a 13b-REW swap and get 100k+ miles reliably at 400+rwhp instead.

And I figure if you're going to do a built Renesis, you may as well semi-PP the exhaust while you're at it both for reliability and the performance ceiling available.

I would figure, though, that using the lower compression Renesis rotors, short apex seals, so on and so forth but with a semi-PP exhaust, a slightly lower redline, and low boost would get you well over 300rwhp while still getting ~200k+ miles on the motor.
But.. 300hp is on the edge of what the RX-8 transmission can handle, anyway.

yes

There's actually a shop in miami working on a renesis/13brew hybrid.

All it involves is using the renesis front plate on the rew and a custom counter weight.

Allows you to keep the rx8's electronic power steering instead of the normal FD rack swap, stock ecu is retained so everything still works after the swap including a/c.

Then just tune with a decent piggy back ecu.

They never finished it, tehir last video on that was over a year ago.

but's already a 3.9L.

It's pretty easy even if they don't release their counter weight, it's just clearancing an rew counterweight to fit the renesis front cover.

Quite a few people in puerto rico have done it already.

I don't know about a Miami one.. I know there is Petit Racing near central florida, but I'm not aware of them doing that.

Mazdatrix in California has done it.

A few people have done it just in their garage.

But no, it's also not so simple as you describe. As I already mentioned, the tips of the rotors have less clearance in the Renesis which calls for shorter apex seals. Those shorter apex seals are also more durable and using longer ones.

The best option would be to cast/cnc custom side rotor housings since fabbing a semi-pp creates problems. But that'd be expensive.
Stuff like that is getting cheaper by the year, though.

No, it is a 1.3.

>16541931
They really are. I drove one of my friends a while back, and I love how you have to bring it up to like 3k RPM to get it in gear and it'll sit at high revs FOREVER.

Plus yeah its like a miata but more practical and just as much fun (except no convertible)

I think he wants to imply that ist says 1.3l Rotary is just for one rotor. Each rotor adds another 1.3l.
So on Paper the RX 7 (FD, FC) and the RX 8 have 1.3 l Engine capacity but in reality with two rotors the have an Engine capacity of 2.6l.

Nope, every rotor on the 13b engines has 649cm3 chamber vloume.

Yeah, this is the guy that doesn't understand how The industry calculates Wankel Displacement. Weird guy. Pretty autistic especially considering the fervor he has towards being wrong.