Do you prefer push-button start or a traditional key?

Do you prefer push-button start or a traditional key?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tbhHcxscu4Q
cbsnews.com/pictures/25-things-you-still-dont-know-about-barack-obama/7/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Keyless go is actually pretty nice. Unlocking, starting and locking your car all while your key is safe in your pocket is p nice

Real key. Feels traditional and familiar.

key master race

youtube.com/watch?v=tbhHcxscu4Q

keylessfags btfo $1500 to FIX!

Why even bother with keyless? It cuts down maybe 0.5 seconds of your daily driving routine. Can you even turn on the battery without starting the engine with a keyless ignition?

the only one i don't get is where you have to turn the key AND push a button separately

WHY

So you can feel like you're launching a nuke very time you start the car.

Because racecar.

I don't actually know why

to be special

Personally I'm used to real keys and it feels out of place when I've driven rentals with them. I don't see how saving a split second is actually desirable, but I guess has a point if you live in a town with certain ""people"".

It just feels like a macfag feature desu.

both. keeps the normies out.

These guys gets it.

I've driven a lot of both. Keyless has its perks, but also its huge cons.
> - Easy as fuck to leave your key inside
> - Retarded electronics that are prone to failing
> - $300 key replacements
> - Some systems are finicky as fuck (foot on brake, hips to start, push 3 times to start, enter code to start etc.)
> - Can't turn the key to just on on some cars, must put the car in RUN to turn on power ( roll down windows, wipers, etc.)
> +/- No steering wheel lock
> + Pretty quick and convenient
> + Easy as fuck
> + No fumbling with keys
> + Can be used to find key (get in car, try to start, if it starts key is inside car somewhere, look for it. Won't start, you left it somewhere else)
> +/- Looks "nice"

You'd be surprised how convenient it feels once you own a car with full Keyless go. Rent a 2016 shitbox sometime and give it a try

It's not only the unreliability - I imagine it's a lot harder to wire anything to the ignition with a keyless, such as a dashcam, remote start or turbo timer.

I had the ignition barrel dismantle itself in my jaguar xj6. Was a fuckin nightmare sourcing a replacement. Also had the same thing happen in a 2005 ford. Was cheaper for me to buy a push button starter off eBay and install it myself than get someone to remove my steering column and fix the old one.

Such is life. Also feels cool pressing a button and hearing 8 cylinders roar into life.

Because pretend racecar

Not even. You can get full Keyless go as early as 2003 on some benzes, audis, Lexuses and Acuras.

traditional is noice

havent had many problems with barrel locks breaking but keyless its a PITA

>same thing happen in a 2005 ford.
Yeah i heard about that in the newer falcons.

AU and E series here never had a problem with that.

2001 commodore also no issues.

I am always paranoid the battery in the keyless fobs will go flat and it costs alot to fix properly.

A screwdriver

>Rent a 2016 shitbox sometime and give it a try
I rented a 2015 Fusion for a couple weeks this summer and wasn't impressed at all. It just feels so undignified and tacky, not to mention more problematic if something goes wrong.

>lift license plate
>flip switch for battery
>get in car
>flip switch for fans
>flip switch for fuel pump
>flip switch for coil
>put in 2nd gear
ignition switch circuit won't complete unless in 2nd gear
>flip switch for starter
>car starts
>flip switch off and I'm on my way
The best anti theft

I much prefer push button. My key stays in my pocket the entire time and it makes the experience a little more seamless. Some cars, like, Teslas, take it one step further and remove the start button altogether. Just get in and put it in drive.

I think it feels better in an electric vehicle, because there's no engine drama. Just a click and you're ready to drive.

In my dad's S Class you can pop the starter button off and use the key normally

I have smart keys so I walk up to the car and pull the handle, it unlocks, sit and push start. Since you can program which doors open with your touch i don't even need to take my keys out ever. Unlike fords, my smart keys make the car stop if the keys are not inside so no one can really steal your car without a flatbed or tow truck but who the hell wants to steal a civic?

German ingenuity

Mine refuses to lock if it detects the key inside

Pretty nifty because I always forget

What said is true for me too.

If I accidentally lock the key in the car, the drivers door unlocks and the horn chirps.

Coffman starter

wha...what
how can you forget your key? that's the last thing you take with you when you get out of the car
key in hand then lock car

>keyless entry
>cold weather
>key in pocket
>turn on car
>get out to scrape ice
>close door
>horn honks because car is on but key is not in it
>wake up neighbors at 6:00 AM

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

My miata is keyless, but you still have to twist.

It also has a thing where you can pop off the keyless part and insert a key if your fob dies

I love it

Why not just invent magnetic keys that you stick to the dash to start the car and pull out to turn off?

> Can you even turn on the battery without starting the engine with a keyless ignition?

Yes.

Dodge does this as well with their push buttons. My truck has a key and my car has the push start and I've come to appreciate the push start. I don't need to take my keys out of my pocket at all unless I want to remote start. Otherwise I just walk up, get in and go.

Fob slot and button. E90

My car locks itself automatically when I leave it, so I never need to take my key out of my pocket. If I leave the car without the key, the doors wont lock.

The worst case scenario is if my key falls out of my pocket before I get out, thus leaving an unlocked car with the key still inside that anyone can get into and start. There is a feature that can be toggled on or off that will chirp the horn if the door is closed with the car off and the key still in the car.

I either leave my keys in the car or I turn it off and turn it back on when I get inside again.

>touch screen control
I'd hate to be blind and drive that car desu

yeah I now leave my keys in the car but it's annoying because that's literally the only situation where the keys leave my pocket. There should be an option to disable the honk but I haven't found one

Soon Tesla will have full autonomy, and blind people will be able to drive themselves places with voice control.

I wonder how the law is going to affect this.

I've gotten used to turning my car off when I get out for a few seconds. It's easier than trying to reach into my pocket while sitting.

Jesus that screen is huge. It would be cool if you could remove it and use it as a tablet.

It's really high quality too. The black level is great.

I guess being able to remove it would be nice.

> - Easy as fuck to leave your key inside

No. They don't lock if the keys are inside.

> - Retarded electronics that are prone to failing

Not an argument. If that's the case you wouldn't own a car as the whole thing is 'prone to fail'.

> - $300 key replacements

So the same price as keys have been since the early 2000s?

> - Some systems are finicky as fuck (foot on brake, hips to start, push 3 times to start, enter code to start etc.)

Exaggeration. A huge number of non-keyless cars require foot on clutch/etc to start anyway.

> - Can't turn the key to just on on some cars, must put the car in RUN to turn on power ( roll down windows, wipers, etc.)

Which cars?

> +/- No steering wheel lock

I'd bet money that 99% of keyless vehicles have electronic steering column locks

>traditional key?
>manual keyfob?

I don't want keyless entry or keyless start. If someone is possibly going to mug you, having the car automatically open up when you get close is annoying especially if I am going to run away.

>I think it feels better in an electric vehicle
Obama said he's getting a Chevy Volt next.
cbsnews.com/pictures/25-things-you-still-dont-know-about-barack-obama/7/

Same in my integra. Still have to turn the key 2 clicks and then push the button to start.

My keyless car has steering wheel lock. It autolocks like 5 seconds after you turn off the car

It doesn't automatically open.

So much fucking disinformation ITT.

>fumbling with keys while the cunt stabs you
>running away and getting stabbed
>not getting the fuck in the car

These engine buttons are just stupid gimmicks car manufacturers have put in there. There was nothing wrong with a key. Now you have a more computerized car with a greater chance of breaking down; which means more money for car companies who service your car.

I mean that's cool and props to you for setting that up but that's gotta get fucking annoying. Is that your daily?

>These engine buttons are just stupid gimmicks car manufacturers have put in there

Yes... gimmicks, like EFI and starter motors.

>There was nothing wrong with a key

There's plenty wrong with keys. They work but there are better ways of doing it.

>Now you have a more computerized car with a greater chance of breaking down

Oh so you're just a luddite. Well I hope to fuck your car has carbs and drum brakes and you have to hand crank it to start.

> It doesn't automatically open.

Seriously. Do people think the car just senses the key is 10 feet away and unlocks?

Sometimes I wonder if I should've gotten the keyless entry and start/stop with my car, but then again I really really didn't want to pay $31,000 for it even before taxes and fees - it was like a $2,600 package.

What car fucking honks if you turn it on and take out the key? It just chimes

I love my push button start. I just leave my keys in my jacket/pocket all the time and it's makes for a pretty smooth experience but it's not really a game changer, it's probably down to personal al preference but pretty much all the problems posted in this thread aren't real for any decent car. It alerts you if you leave the keys in there. You can easily run the battery without starting the car and it's very simple to start. Foot on the clutch, press the button. That's it, it even tells you what to do if you are doing it wrong. Most people in this thread sound like they've never actually dealt with one before.

Don't forget it's Veeky Forums, where 90% of the people don't have licences or cars and think that ANY technology is bad even though they weren't alive to experience how fucking garbage cars were before EFI/etc.

True. Someone on here was saying the only car they would want was a muscle car from the 70's because they were so reliable back then. For a car forum, this place has a serious lack of knowledge about cars.

I never knew that.

jesus... you should have to prove you have a car/licence before you can post here

Mine does, but only if all the doors are closed after removing it, and only if the car is still on. It does three quick honks.

Yeah, it's very easy and seamless, made better without the start of an engine.

idk i just like keyless.
Its nice pushing a big start button, makes it feel like a plane.
I'd like key plus start button tho.Both in centre console.

I don't understand why some people don't like technology. I love reading about and experiencing the newest technology. I always have. Our quality of life from cavemen to now is thanks to technology and the people who engineer it. Thank you, engineers.

Haha, I have to jiggle the key like hell in my SIII XJ6.

The key presence switch for the seatbelt warning is busted too, so I have to do the seatbelt back up after I take out the key or it will sit there going REEEEEEEEE forever.

It's one of those things where you don't think you really need it (and actually you usually don't NEED it) but then you try it and it's actually kind of cool.

As for me, I wouldn't have minded having push button start and keyless entry on my car if it weren't such an expensive option...

>but I guess has a point if you live in a town with certain ""people"".

thats stupid though. the tech that lets the keyless fob tell the car you are in it to allow you to use the push button ignition, can easily be put into a normal key. In fact, before keyless go became the meme of the decade, most cars did exactly that.

it's just another unnessecary "high tech" feature that means more electronic bits that can break.

its like electronic parking brakes. unnessecary and unjustifiable

there is just something satisfying about turning a key and hearing the engine turn over, something that push to start will never fulfill

Not an argument.

how?

it's true.

if you can make a keyless fob or card you take with you that lets you and only you use the keyless ignition, then why not just put that same thing in a key? Hell, why not just use a key. having push button ignition just adds an extra middle man to the equation, which is the electronics that detect the fob and let the button work. and of course whatever is in the fob itself.

that is an added liability. something extra that can go wrong, much like electronic parking brakes. Instead of just pulling a lever that makes a cable go taut, you flip a switch that activates a motor that pulls the wire for you.

not an argument is itself, not an argument

Electronic parking brakes are easier to set (eliminating the chance of a parking brake not set fully enough to prevent the car from rolling) and in some cases, release automatically when the car is shifted into drive or reverse.

Some cars had a feature where the key had a special signal that the car would read and allow the car to start. I think a push button start does the same thing, just with added convenience. Why read the signal from the steering column when it can read the signal from your pocket? Inserting a key becomes an unnecessary step.

Push to start is nice if you also have keyless locking and unlocking of the doors. Otherwise it's stupid. I wonder how would push to start performe in cold weather. Few weeks ago it was minus 28 where I live and I made few cycles of heating before I tried to start the engine. Could you stop starting proces once it's pressed and trying to start.

Many luxury cars are still key. I think the 463 is still key and keyless is an option in lexus.

The fuck are you talking about?

You dont wire most things to the fucking ingnition lock you wire it to the fuse box or relays

>Our quality of life from cavemen to now is thanks to technology
are we really happier than we were 10000 years ago?

probably. but try 40 years ago

We've made our lives as easy as possible, and therefore removed all the obstacles which formerly gave them meaning.

What if you could teleport to your job instantly? What if you could write a book in 30 minutes using an MCI? Convenience and progress is good, right?

>get in
>push clutch
>push button
Didn't think I'd like it as much as I do.

My car has a keyless start that you have to turn like a traditional key.

I prefer it this way, because it's easier to get to the unstarted modes.

There's Technology!

And then there's "technology" that's actually a minor novelty gimmick we had ages ago but didn't like because we didn't have sci-fi TV shows/movies to convince us that it was an essential part of the futuristic lifestyle.

This. I used to think it was shit until I bought a car that had it.
Comf as

The only ignition barrel I ever broke was in my VR Commodore.

theres no fun in that you stupid fuck

>Badly tuned corvette buring oil.

Holy shit.

fully agree

My problem with keyless go is i dont keep my key in my pocket and it causes me to have to store the key in the cup holder - taking up storage.

Yeah I can put it in my pocket but I generally lock it with the remote so doesn't make much sense.

Push to start generally only activates the starter for a couple of seconds before it stops trying and you have to hit the button again. You can hold the button to make the starter run for longer than the default max time though.

gotta twist it in when she gasps

Keyless Kia's will lock with the key in if you hold the lock switch down for 3 clicks

Push button with proximity unlocking is the tits.

This is so if the fob battery is completely flat, an inductive coil in the ignition slot can power the fob to allow the engine to run.

I like keys more, but I wish they didn't always put them on the steering column, it's like auto makers think we like keys dangling on our legs while driving.

It's my personal vehicle. My daily is a company truck

There's nothing wrong with the hand crank. It feels good to be physically connected to the engine when you start it.

>Do you prefer standing or sitting down for peeing?
>Sitting down, it's so comfy! And I don't have to put the toilet seat back down so Stacey doesn't get upset.

Literal autism

Went from push button start on my last two cars to a key in my 2017 wrx.

Pic related

Feels like i went back to a dialup modem.