Can I get a quick rundown on how to sell a junk car that's no longer worth the money to fix...

Can I get a quick rundown on how to sell a junk car that's no longer worth the money to fix? I don't really have the knowledge to part it out but I'm willing to learn if it's worth the time for the extra money. The tires and battery are relatively new which I could probably sell for more than the 'we buy junk cars' websites are offering me.

It's a 2002 ford taurus with some minor rust, a leaking coolant reservoir, and a loose bearing on the ac compressor that's shredded the serpentine belt. The cost to repair the ac compressor was quoted as ~$1300 so the car is pretty much shot

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/A-C-Compressor-Bypass-Pulley-Dorman-34184-/171867118224?fits=Make:Ford|Model:Taurus&hash=item2804141a90:g:ZmYAAOSwHnFVsAq9&vxp=mtr
stockwiseauto.com/dorman-34166-a-c-compressor-bypass-pulley?gclid=Cj0KEQiAk5zEBRD9lfno2dek0tsBEiQAWVKyuHfpTomjQJQs5AcKJ6N091_1FRECKiPuxzvhjaEq6wgaAge_8P8HAQ&fit_id=10440&Year=2002&Make=Ford&Model=Taurus&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get a new belt
By pass the AC compressor
Post it on craigslist mentioning the AC is out.

You could still easily get 2k plus for this vehicle. The coolant resevoir leak doesn't sound like a problem worth mentioning.

I'm not sure 2k is reasonable, I'm seeing comparable cars listed in the 600-1200 range. I was quoted $575 for the AC bypass kit

>bypass kit
I dunno about a bypass kit, usually it's just a different belt routeing that avoids the compressor pulley.

But, I think 1000-1200 would be the low end haggle price for the vehicle, assuming other than the AC and resevoir leak it was well maintained and potentially had a transmission service in that time.

Literally 5 seconds, don't be an idiot my friend...

ebay.com/itm/A-C-Compressor-Bypass-Pulley-Dorman-34184-/171867118224?fits=Make:Ford|Model:Taurus&hash=item2804141a90:g:ZmYAAOSwHnFVsAq9&vxp=mtr

I had a 100k mile service done on it about 2 years ago, so yeah the transmission fluid was changed, etc. I was told a kit would be needed but I guess if the belt has enough clearance such that the ac bearing is in the way I can just use the shorter belt.

Boom. Only answer

>I was quoted $575
Oh, really, because they're $30 online.

Just get the pulley from O'Reilly for $30, ask $2500 for it, take the first $1750 offer but make it seem like a huge deal.

That part isn't compatible with my engine, the exact model is a 2002 ford taurus SE sedan with the 3.0L flex fuel engine

stockwiseauto.com/dorman-34166-a-c-compressor-bypass-pulley?gclid=Cj0KEQiAk5zEBRD9lfno2dek0tsBEiQAWVKyuHfpTomjQJQs5AcKJ6N091_1FRECKiPuxzvhjaEq6wgaAge_8P8HAQ&fit_id=10440&Year=2002&Make=Ford&Model=Taurus&

Do a little research yourself, you dumb piece of shit. I'll give you scrap for it right now since you're too fucking stupid to do the bypass pulley yourself anyway.

Calm down dude this is my first time fucking with this, I've been looking for solutions on my own for a few days I just don't know how to search effectively.

What tools would I need to install the bypass pulley? I have done minor repairs before but this would be the biggest thing I've attempted.

Outside looking in, but it's probably one or two bolts holding on your AC compressor. Toss that bad bitch in the trunk, then hook up the new mount right where the compressor was using the same hardware.

so probably a 3/8th ratchet, with a some various size socket probably like a 15 or something, and more of the same for the tensioner on your belt.

Well you haven't looked hard enough. Maybe use the information we've given you to form your own path.

>A few days

Doubt it completely considering the first google result when searching for "Taurus locked compressor" is instructions on how to install the bypass pulley.

3 fucking bolts.

Yeah as someone with little experience I don't know that the solution for a loose ac bearing shredding the belt is to bypass it entirely, even if it's the first result how should I know that it's the right solution. Thanks I'll go buy 3 bolts and screw them in with my teeth, cheers dude.

Yeah I mean it looks easy from what I read about the kit but since I haven't done it before its hard to know if complications would arise anywhere. It should be easy enough to access right?

...the bolts are already there, dude. Unless your AC is just floating and not attached to anything.

Its possible they are a different length on the compressor but they should come with the bypass kit.

People like you shouldn't exist. Nobody is gonna pay more than 1500 for a shitty car unless everything works anyways so I don't know why you're trying to convince someone they can still make a decent amount of money.

Yeah I agree I won't get 2k for it but if I spend $60 for a new belt and the bypass kit and can sell it for 1200 that seems worthwhile

Yeah, the best solution for a 15 year old car is to drop 75% of the car's value into a new AC compressor. What was I thinking!

Yep, just use your teeth since you're too fucking stupid to know how to get a bolt out otherwise. Seriously, the offer to buy it for scrap price still stands since you're clearly too much of an idiot to do it yourself and will ultimately fuck it up beyond repair.

>Shitty car
>Everything works
Pick one. Also, people pay $2500+ for Tauruses all the time, so I don't know why you're trying to convince someone they can't make a decent amount of money.

Or you could ask $2500 and accept the first $1750 that walks your way. Act like it's some huge inconvenience so the buyer things they're getting a good deal.

Here's a list of questions that need researching for someone unfamiliar with the process:

1) Is the problem accurately diagnosed-- do the symptoms indicate this problem or could it be something else?
2) What is the cost of replacing an AC compressor?
3) Does the entire compressor need to be replaced or is the bearing separate?
4) Do you need specialized tools to remove the belt?
5) Is the compressor essential to the heating function of the car or just the cooling?
6) Do other parts need to be removed to access the AC compressor bolts?
7) Do you need a bypass kit or simply a shorter belt for this specific engine?

It's a simple question if you know the answers but it requires some research otherwise. Stop being a dick because you know more than someone else

>2) What is the cost of replacing an AC Compressor?
He already researched that according to the OP

>3) Does the entire compressor need to be replaced or is the bearing separate?

If the compressor needs to be removed at all for any reason it's already costing more than it's worth on this age of car.

>4) Do you need specialized tools to remove the belt?

If you can't see with your eyes how to do it close the hood and sell it to someone who does know. It's a fucking Taurus

>5) Is the compressor essential to the heating function?
Yeah, it's completely necessary. That's why they make the AC delete pulley

>6) Do other parts need to be removed
Again, use your eyes.

>7) Do you need a bypass kit

Already been covered in this thread and literally Google if it hadn't.

He obviously did no research before making this shit thread. So far I'm the only one to give him any real advice in the matter, so I'll kindly ask you to fuck off. Excuse me for helping some moron who doesn't even deserve it turn a quick buck off of his POS Taurus so he can maybe get a real car.

Be honest. I buy shit cars and repair them. If they know what's wrong and are honest I'm much more inclined to spend the money and repair it myself. Just replaced head gasket and fuel pump on a 350 dollar 95 2.8 a6 with only 112k. BAM comfortable daily cruiser so now I can focus building my beast s4

This 100%. I just want to know what I'm getting into, that's it. Either way I don't mind doing the work

Exactly, bonus points if the DD/beater is a similar model to your project car so you can swipe parts in a pinch

Uh dude, the belt + the AC bypass pully are 50 bucks at Oreilly's.

I had do to that to my wife's car last years.