What's Veeky Forumss opinion on electric cars? Is this guy right?

What's Veeky Forumss opinion on electric cars? Is this guy right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AAZ62tUtc0w
youtu.be/Az0rWc2W28I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Electric cars are great and elon is the savior we don't deserve.

not to mention the model s being one of the fastest accelerating production cars in history makes Veeky Forumstists sperg the fuck out

This. The Model S is literally as fast as a Veyron and the Model X beats a 911 Turbo.
Tesla is the greatest thing to ever happen to the automotive industry, since not only did they make electric cars viable, they made electric cars the most desireable cars on the planet.

They need to replace the battery with something that can be filled as quickly as a gas tank. Veeky Forums seems to think hydrogen is just a Hindenburg waiting to happen due to ignorance so I leave it to the collective to come up with a better idea than batteries to run the electrics.

Electric cars still got suspensions, brakes, wheels, and other parts which need to be maintained which the inept cant do themselves. This guy is full of shit.

Batterys get faster every day, modern LiPos can charge to 80% in less than 10 minutes, wich is about as fast as you can refill a tank.

And they fail that much quicker due to the fast charging. Batteries do not like heat or being charged quickly.

>being this retarded

Instead of being a cancerous tripfaggot, go to battery university and read up on how batteries actually work. Technology cannot fix everything.

You don´t need to charge the that fast every day, usually you charge in your garage in a slow rate.
Also even with increased charging speed, they would still last way over 500 full cycles before dropping to 80% capacity.

>N-no! It's not true!
Stay BTFO ICEfag, Elon will save us who are willing to embrace the future while you choke on your own exhaust gas.

Fast from a launch, what happens when the speeds reach three figu-

>being this retarded
There is no way you are actually this stupid. Quick charging doesn't effect battery life. It lasts just as long with it enabled.

Enjoy your GM quality car fires. The reason the Note 7 failed was due to poor battery design. What do you think is going to happen when GM and other cheap manufacturers start needing batteries at a high rate?

The slow charge overnight will help with the overall lifespan of the cells but it will start to lose capacity eventually.

Filtered for being a cancerous faggot who doesn't know shit but about battery chemistry.

>DURRRRRRR I'M GOING TO FILTER U
>CHARGING A BATTERY FAST GIVES IT BAD BATTERY LIVVESSS
>DURRRRRRRRRRRRRREEERREE
>i'm more smarter than people who have dedicated their lives to the topic
>durrrrrrrrrrrrr
>electric badds!
>gassy good!

Next paragraph

>I've found that my cuck shed is the perfect place to install charging points, especially as Deshawn and his gangbangers park their SRT8s and Camaros outside the front of the house.

>The slow charge overnight will help with the overall lifespan of the cells but it will start to lose capacity eventually.
Teslas usually drive more then 200.000 kilometers before they even lose 20% capacity.
Assuming the owner isn´t a retard letting the car park at 90% in the summer.

Cliffs OP, I ain't reading that.

I'm thinking of buying a small EV as my daily to run alongside my RX7. EVs are stupidly cheap second hand and cost nothing to run.

Nice projection.

it used to be that if you posted shit from reddit or facebook on here people would automaticlly know not to respont to the thread

so many fucking newfags now, the old ways have totally been forgotten

Trip back on retard.

why do ice fags always seem to project their fantasies?

tldr

HEY ELON

COULD YOU POST THOSE STANDING MILE TIMES

OH

WAIT

YOU CANT

BECAUSE NO TESLA HAS EVER COMPLETED THE STANDING MILE

EVER

NOT EVEN ONCE

IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD

ITS BECAUSE IT CANT

From an engineering standpoint, one should always assume the consumer is retarded and design the product to withstand the abuse. Tesla has done a great job getting the cars out there but they need to lead the pack in a different direction, whether that be a new battery chemistry that has a greater energy density than Li-Ion or Li-Po or going with an entirely different energy source all together.

What do you mean fantasies? They're already getting cucked by the big oil corps.

rotflmao

The Li-Ion packs used in the Tesla stand abuse better than moste ICE.
Think about forgetting maintainance at all and always floor the car after cold starts, it won´t last as long as a Li-Ion battery always charged at the Supercharger to 100%

The range isn´t much of an issue, if you compare it to ICE cars, wich usually have about the same range.
Charging with a Supercharger very 4-6 hours of highway driving isn´t a big deal either, after that time you have to pee anyway, so you don´t actualy wait for 20 minutes compared to about 10-15 minutes you would need at a gas station for refueling and paying.

>10-15 minutes to fill up with fuel and pay

What the fuck are you people talking about? I mean, I agree with you in principle, but who the hell takes 10-15 minutes to get gas?

I'm not arguing that a vehicle with fewer moving parts will fail more often. I like the idea of electric cars, I just don't like the power source.

Tesla is more or less the Apple of the car industry. They make a quality product that lasts a while (Or Apple used to).
The thing that worries me is what happens when the Gateway or HP of the car industry make an electric car? Companies such as GM have been caught putting profits over safety. What happens when the batteries they order are not designed or manufactured properly?

Tesla isn't the apple of the auto industry because they actually innovate.

If you inlude paying etc. you will take about 10-15 minutes.
Tesla garants these packs will last at least 8 years.
If not, they will replace it.

You missed the point of the post entirely.
Tesla's packs are not the issue. The issue is when electric cars are made for the masses by the shit tier manufacturers.

Trouble is, updates. What if a manufacturer stops updating a car and someone is using autopilot and it hits a bug? Sure, for now, there will manual controls. But there might not be in the future.

Then people won´t like it and shit on the manufacturer doing this kind of shit, just look at Dieselgate...

Tesla is the only automaker that actually updates their cars for years. Fuck off with your fear of the unknown bullshit.

>not just upgrading every 3 years

VW took a big hit from that I agree. GM has made similar mistakes after knowingly building cars with a faulty ignition switch that caused the airbags to not go off. It was save a few cents per unit or save lives and they went with the former. What happens when these kind of decisions are on the cells of the battery? Instead of death due to a failed airbag, people will be roasted alive.

>people will be roasted alive
That is a retardet meme, a Li-Ion or Li-Po battery isn´t more dangerous than a fuel tank full of gas.
I´ve stabbed several litium batterys trying to get them to burn, it never worked.

Batteries are designed with internal safety features to prevent just that from happening. However if a battery is made cheaply or damage is great enough a thermal runaway will cause the battery to burst into flames.

youtube.com/watch?v=AAZ62tUtc0w

It is rare and requires significant abuse of the cell to cause on a properly designed battery.

I tried that with unprotected Li-Po cells as well, it dedn´t even smoke.

Tesla's Model S and X aren't even that old. But 15 years from now? Will they continue to update such an old car? Probably not. Fuck off you autist, it's a very real issue that will only surface later on, not now since it's in its infancy.

>meanwhile all other manufacturers stop updating their cars after 3 months
consider suicide

I usually keep cars for a decade and sell em. Could be different though with everybody saying that "ownership" will no longer be a thing. Fuck off, public things are treated like shit. The cars will be absolutely disgusting, ownership will continue.

You're probably a 15 year-old. I'm a software engineer and very much understand the issues that old, depreciated code poses. You will also realize when your hurtling down a freeway at 100mph in a car that is no longer supported.

>retard makes illogical arguments
>gets his points refuted
>i'm a technician so i automatically am right
>please shut up and stop using logic and reasoning
Veeky Forums in a nutshell

Don't reply to Alphonse you mong.

Not sure if you can understand my chain, probably can't so I shall reexplain in baby terms. In the future, when you're in a 15 year-old car. Will you feel safe in it with autopilot on but it's no longer updated? Yeah, that's what I thought. You would be terrified.

>would you feel safe with in it if autopilot is no longer being updated
Yes? Why wouldn't I? The system works doesn't it? If it didn't I would stop using autopilot if I felt unsafe.

You are a fucking idiot

Bugs are INFINITE. No system is perfect, but when the system is no longer updated, those bugs will surface. So you could be using autopilot, going about your business, but a bug surfaces and you're forced to suddenly take control. Would you feel safe using autopilot again? Knowing now that it could randomly hit an error?

The probability of finding a bug stays the the same if the system isn´t updated.

>using fear of the unknown as an argument
wow! you sure showed me!

As the Veeky Forums circlejerk goes. Guess you won't realize the real issue until you are in said situation. Oh well.

>stupidly cheap to run
Until you need a battery replacement that costs 8 grand kek

youtu.be/Az0rWc2W28I

This is how you people sound to me.

>Tesla has lower quality ratings than Fiat

Just let that sink in for a minute.

>STILL using fear of the unknown as an argument
>I WARNED YOU OOOOHBLOOBLOOO
>FeAR what you don't understand because it's Super sppooookkyy!!
do you guys have jobs at an oil company by any chance?

>Electric cars

My stance on them has always been the same, when the range is comparable to a full tank of gas on most cars (300+ miles) and the price is the same as a gasoline powered car or close to it (no more than $2k difference) I will consider getting one.

As it stands right now, I burn over 100 miles a day just going to my job and back and burn another 50-70 if I need to do any running around in town. A car that advertises having a 240 mile range in my area will get signficantly less than that because it is always stupid hot which kills the battery, the AC needs to run which kills it even more, and the likelihood of it getting the mile output for me to use it as legitimate replacement vehicle is made highly questionable for the high mile vehicles now and an outright impossibility for most electrics in general.

IF I lived in a major city instead of the sticks and got less than 20 miles of riding for back and to from my job and running around time, I would consider a long distance EV just in case I need to do extra stuff or a charging port isn't always accessible, right now though, they are a novelty with no real function for how I live.

>What about city dwellers who make up the bulk of drivers?

Go ham, you're the target market. The bulk of the people in the USA live in a major city, but about 100,000,000+ live in such a situation where EVs are fundamentally useless.

If you don´t change the system at all, the probability of an error/driven kilometer stays the same.

>price is the same as a gasoline powered car or close to it
total cost or initial price?

BUT WHAT IF????? TESLA'S ARE DANGEROUS!

i'm totally not a paid shill or anything

>If you inlude paying etc. you will take about 10-15 minutes
Maybe if you go into the store and buy something each time.Pay at the pump and it adds about 30 seconds to the fill time.

>pay at the pump
That is a verry unusual type of gas station...

Initial price.

Like, show me a total electric sedan that cost $1,000 more to buy than the gasoline version. It has a range of 400 miles. Both brand new.

When that situation happens, pretty much everyone is gonna start going electric, but that is pretty much what it is gonna take.

That won´t happen in the next few years, but the costs for the first 2-3 years will get get in that area.
You have to consider that fuel won´t stay that cheap for ever.

>Fuel won't stay cheap forever

What the fuck do you thinks makes the power to supply those electric engines? Sure, maybe hydro-electric, geo-thermal, or what have you is used in your particular area, but non-renewable resources will be used and the extra output needed for the swap will just cause extra prices for energy consumption reducing the price advantage as well.

Normal here in 'murrica. There's a credit card reader on each of the pumps, so you just pay for it there and then fill your tank and drive off.

>what do you think makes the power to supply those electric engines
Nuclear power and many different types of energy?
Why do you think electric cars get astronomically better mpg in cities that use renewable energy?

Where I live on average about 30% are renewable, the other stuff is coal and nuclear(only for a few years)

He's not wrong, but he's so self righteous I want him to be.

Electric cars are great for routine, but horrible if you ever try to break routine. Once someone comes up with a fuel cell that gives electric cars the same range as ICE, I'll try to get one, but until then, no.

Hopefully they won't have banned driving by then.

>Why do you think electric cars get astronomically better mpg in cities that use renewable energy?

bait or retarded?

Well, I see them taking a big, big bite out of the market once they figure out a way to make them run far enough on a charge to support most of population aswell as making charging a lot quicker

Also; find a way to make them not lose insane amounts of power just by sitting in the cold without being plugged in. This'll be a huge problem to solve

My friend could give a fuck about cars and said as they come along she'd get an electric city small one and then rent a car for long trips. We live in a city so renting is fast and available.

I think a lot of people are already willing to work around the long distance stuff

Actually Teslas get pretty much the same range as normal ICE cars.

You can get 430 miles on a charge of a tesla on the highway?

No. He's full of shit.

Electric cars do not very well "fit into your life" when they take twice as long to charge as they can feasibly be driven for without stopping. What if I want to go somewhere in the middle of the night? What if I find out I need to go to the grocery store, but the battery's too low to get me there and I'll have to wait 10+ hours until 4AM when everything's fucking closed until it's ready to go anywhere?

Shouldn't I just be able to make a

You don't have a grocery store within a few miles of you?

No, everything's 15 miles or more away.

If you were diagnosed with prostate cancer and were going to be treated with brachytherapy, would you want your oncologist determining the placement of your internally implanted radioactive sources using a current treatment planning system, or one that was 15 years old and no longer supported by its developer?

>now resorting to false equivalencies

Almost, but my ICE car usually gets that far if I try to use as little fuel as possible.

Where are we gonna get the fuel to produce the electricity to charge these batteries?

Well, in the US, it's mostly from 100% CLEAN-BURNING COAL WOOOO HELL YES I LOVE FREEDOM

>solar
>offshore
>hydroelectric

Not the same guy, but it's a fairly equivalent situation. New data is added to software all the time, and patches are needed when bugs are found.
Computer vision isn't simple, and idk why you would operate a piece of equipment that weighs a few thousand pounds when it's running on software that isn't current or even supported by its developer

Lol

Wind power, nuclear power, water power

Trust me, when the oil starts running low we'll see a massive boom in R&D for renewable energy sources

Because you can still disable autopilot if you don't feel safe you utter fucking moron. Holy shit, are all you shills this retarded?

Oil isn't just used for fuel, though. It goes into a LOT of shit we use every day.

Don't know enough about the viability to come to an informed opinion.

I do know I like internal combustion and mechanical engineering. This was the domain of good blue collared people. These were our grounds. I feel like it's forthcoming demise is also mine. Like we're becoming redundant.

t. the same guy

>Wants to save the planet
>Has kids

Dropped

holy fucking same

also, even though there's no historically necessary reason that electric motors have to be bundled with various kinds of tiresome electronic nannies, I suspect that's how it's gonna go down. potentially a big blow to human autonomy.

hold me breh.

>cars as an investment

I can already assume he's retard and has no clue wtf he's talking about.

It's a lot simpler to modify and upgrade batteries, ESCs and motors then it is to upgrade ICE parts

kek

>Store energy in huge capacitor in your home
>Tesla has two massive iron rods coming out of either end of the battery
>Touch the two rods across the capacitor
>Refill almost instantly
>Totally safe because the rods are thick so they have huge resistance so low current, which means you won't get dead

Fixed that issue for you, you're welcome

>Totally safe because the rods are thick so they have huge resistance so low current, which means you won't get dead
you have no idea how electricity works.

I thought Dragonforce was the hardest metal