I want to race in the 24 hours of Lemons but Im having a lot of trouble finding a car that is less than 500 bucks on...

I want to race in the 24 hours of Lemons but Im having a lot of trouble finding a car that is less than 500 bucks on craigslist in the LA area.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a cheap pile of shit?

A lot of people run e30s there but cant find one that isnt overpriced to fuck

Other urls found in this thread:

chumpcar.com
losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5975295767.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/5967839894.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5962026555.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/5938122767.html
humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/5965178938.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5977150744.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

e36 with wreck

look for cars with title problems, or wont pass smog, biggest problem is that CARB buys shitboxes for $1000 if you use the money to buy a newer car from a dealer

CRX

Only ones in that price range are completely trashed/wrecked

the other ones have no motor
meme prices

Tried, nothing good comes up

>finding a car good enough for shitbox endurance less than $500 in LA
Not even from california but that seems near impossible

I could get one for more than 500, only problem is it is considered "debt". Then I would need to sell all this crap.

Lets say I bought a car for 1000 bucks. I would need to sell 500 dollars worth of shit from it otherwise I get penalty laps and tapped to the roof of my car apologizing to all the other drivers

you have to haggle

look for listings that are old af and offer 200 bucks to come get it off their property.

Found 4 cars

>e30 Convertible
Needs more rollcage work. At least it doesnt count to the 500 dollars
>e36 Sedan
>chebby cavalier
>acura integra

Are these good or should I keep looking? Most of these cars have been raced at Lemons so im pretty sure I can build a competent shitbox

>chebby cavalier
this if six

Do what everyone else does. Buy a car for $1000 and write the sale price as $500

This, unfortunately. Does your race have the "buy it for 500 bucks" rule? I doubt it if the roll cage/safety equipment isnt part of the 500,otherwise even people who followed the rules would get ripped off for no reason.

Its just build a car for 500

Bought or built. You can sell parts and use the money made and put it into the car

Seems like it would be easy to scam.

How have I never heard of this before.
Racing with shitboxes, I fucking love it.

Safety equipment doesn't count, and I'm sure tires don't count, otherwise shit would be too dangerous.

They just make you do extra laps and shit. I just want to follow the rules so they dont strap me to the roof of my car and drive around the pits making me apologize while having people throw shit at me (thats a punishment kek)

24 hours of lemons. It's actually good fun, but I do lament that cash for clunkers has destroyed the pool to choose from.

Basically

>tires
>rims
>cage
Unless its fabbed by a custom shop. It counts under labor costs
>seats
>fuel system behind pump
>belts
>brakes
>all hoses
>racing suit

It costs around 2k for the entire deal
1.5k per race because of fees n shit if you use the same car for every race

They also do a rally driving across the US in shitboxes you build.

Always remember you can buy a car for more than 500 but you gotta part it and make money to put back into the car

>mexico

Since nothing has to be street legal, I could pick up something from there.
The money I'd have to spend to startup is a bit much for me, but it's anew goal in life.
And I could cover the car in /osg/ stickers.

There's also the ChumpCar World Series
chumpcar.com

Thats what Im planning on doing.

I need a team name that is inspired by Veeky Forums and an Veeky Forums approved shitbox

WAT Unlimited.
As far as Veeky Forums approved you'll never find one agreed upon.
I'd go with a bug. Easy and cheap to find in mex, with parts motherfucking everywhere.

I want to do this at some point. Real cost for me would be the safety gear, and I'd need to find people for a team, none of my friends are into cars.

I'll be on your team. None of my friends are into cars either.

Currently building two lemons cars. Got them both for $475 and am set to decimate all at lemons.

Now that I've heard about shitbox racing, I'm devising some plans.
I'll prolly come and ask Veeky Forums if anyone wants to do it, once I have the money.

Where you at anyway

Is that Ben Killing the Coons Carson?

He may be a brain surgeon, but he's still black, meaning he'll down a 40 with the homies.

I'm in Florida, you're probably 1000 miles away. it would be fun to get an Veeky Forums team going though

LA

So I would be racing in the western tournament

Yep.
I'm living Colorado.
Home is in the Calexico/Mexicali area.

>500 bucks on craigslist
>in the LA area

E36 + Cherrybombs

Texas here, where can race shitbox?

Spoiler for you OP, it costs a lot more than that. After buying it, getting a proper cage, all other safety stuff, tires, race suits and helmets, and entry fees, youre actually looking at like 6-7k all in

Fuck lemons and lie through your teeth during registration. All grassroots motorsports get fucked over by no-fun super teams with tens of thousand of dollars worth of technology in their car
>b-b-but it was only $1 worth of scrap metal even though i made it with 20 professionals on a $300000 machine

Check their website. They got races all over the is divided in regions

Ya I know.

But I'm pretty much fabbing my own shit so cost should be dropped by a k there.
Racing suits, entry fees, driver and pit crew fees will be pricey tho. But I plan on doing this often with the same car and team
>if I can find a car, the time, and people willing to do it with me :(

True, but most teams I see pulling that shit get hit with a fuckton of penalty laps for every 10 bucks over 500 dollars

you might want to check out chumpcar instead of price the do a vehicle perfomance index. If you go over 500 points you get a penalty.
a 1990 rx-7 has 350 points.
a 1994 rx-7 has 650 points

Try extending it to nearby areas and narrow the search down if you haven't yet, I found a running 97 Civic HX in Paso Robles for 300 that just needs a new head gasket, if you are mechanically inclined.

How do I do that? Not too tech savvy when it comes to craigslist

Veeky Forumsregonian here

im down to help with whatever, this sounds fun

A Rusty S130 or Z31

NA L28 or VG30 will handle an endurance

Found a few that might work for you.
Integra
losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5975295767.html

Pre-riced Neon
losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/5967839894.html

Mustang with a typical owner
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5962026555.html

And a stolen Civic
losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/5938122767.html

Get the cheapest you find, strip it, and sell what you can on eBay. If you can hock bits off the car, you can put that back into the $500 price.

Dodge Neon.

You sell parts to bring the price under 500 ya nub. Then you bribe the judges. You think all of those cars are only worth 500?

No shit sherlock but I want a car that is less than 500.

why not start an Veeky Forums shitbox league with our own rules

who would participate

I would, but we all know the rules would be no rules.
You'd show up, sign a waiver saying no liability to anyone, then hope you don't die more than win.

I think it would be cool if Veeky Forums ran a car in LeMons/Chump Car and have /osg/ decorate it.

This, find a local roundy round track that runs enduros. Hell of a lot cheaper running $200 bone stock Craigslist shitters and a lot less work. Fun as fuck too, I run multiple ones every year.

I placed silver twice in a local rally and competed in a similar event in a third gen dodge challenger coupe with the 2.6l hemi. Bought the car for a $1000 with a spare 4g54, rolled it twice, put the entire drivetrain through hell and sold the car to a relative for $200 after everything.

>$500 car
>race prep

Basically they say find a shitbox from the 80's that is probably appraised $500 or less in the current market. Engine probably has to be stock though. Even winners can't fallow rules, like how modified classics are mixed in the "Classics" category of anything.

Do they include cost for tools and spare parts in the 500$?

Nope.

>get a 500$ RX-8 with blown apex seals
>sell interior
>buy new apex seals

for additional crappyness:
>DIY apex seals out of cast iron
>manufactured with a dremel and a micrometer screw

>500 dollar rx7

If you can find me one, Ill race it

Paying $500 for a car made of 100% rust

rx-8 not rx-7
A blown RX-8 usually is 400-1500 where I live.

>I want to race in the 24 hours of Lemons
>>>/reddit.com/r/cars

Roadtrip
>humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/5965178938.html
>humboldt: it's not just for weed anymore

There's a bullshit factor. If you show up in an M3, They are not retarded and know you're lying. It can cost more then 500, but if it's believeable that you got it for pennies, then there you go.

That's why you see porches on track. They are worth nothing when bought broken. A junkyard engine swap is doable on that budget, but it better look like ass.

My recommendation, go to last, not to win. Get something that will last the race, even if it's slow.
One good way to do that is to get a blown headgasket car. Just slap new ones on, they're only 50 bucks, and there you go.

Thats filled with faggots who are no fun

Its better here because the shitposting makes it godteir and knowing you guys, youd probably give me a good team name.

Borrowing a team name from ovg: TrapWorks

I was thinking something like
>BenchRacing
>WAT unlimited
>FrostyWeed
>Eurobeating

You know? Something that screams autism
>basically the whole point of Lemons

>not Ninjato Watini Racing by Pringles™

I should run my $3.12 DeLorean; too bad I don't want it wrecked.

Team names

>Egg&Spoon Racing
>Class Victories Don't Count
>Junkyard Engineering
>Unintended Acceleration Racing Team
>The Meme Crew
>GMBTFO (without actually ever explaining the acronym)
>Fresh © Handlers
>Bench Racing Endurance Division
>BlackIce Motorsport

Corvette VS. GTR Lap Times

Literally the most spergy team name.

top jej

- DNF Racing
- No Replacement for Displacement
- Turbocharging (and put a bigass picture of an alternator on the car)
- Fix It Again Team
- German Engineering Sailing Team
- Poor & Stupid powered by Vagisil (South park reference mocking NASCAR drivers for those who don't know)
- Backward Tires R&D

>people think lemons racing is literally just $500

lol

Go to mexico and buy 2-3 shitboxes for $500 and bang latinas for green a fake green card

WEW

I think theres a bring your own shitbox endurance race and they're capped at $500.

I know a lot of races where the vehicle cant have been bought for more than $500, but none of it is big name stuff

>not buying a brand new b13 sentra (tsuru)

HARDBODY

You missed out on joining the WAT Lemons team

>stolen one doesn't even have a picture
kek

I'll make it a two car effort then

Are you going?

did tech dock them for that anime pillow? it must have added at least $50 to the car.

Geo PRIZM
4AGE, manual, lightweight. Do it.

Of course he is fat as fuck and with a weeb trash pilllow

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5977150744.html

> The Timing Chain Tensioners
> Touge Engineering
> Vehicular Manslaughter Support Group
> The HP/L Benchracing Team
> Official Alphonse Fan Club
> Dyno Queers
> Too Intelligent for Actual Racing
> Cheap Engineering powered by Fuel Line Magnets
> Nitromethane is for pussies anyway

This. I've raced in Chump Car Daytona in a $350 Nissan 300ZX. Tons of fun and very cheap, as far as racing goes

>Corvette VS. GTR Lap Times
Bonus points if the team runs a V6 Altima and a turd gen with a 305.

Try finding a salvage car that got tboned or something that's just cosmetic

Nope, working.

>buy 1000USD car
>sell 500USD worth of parts
>document everything
>Get rollcage, tires, brakes that are exempt from the 500 dollar rule (see art. 4.2 of the LeMons rules)
There, you now have a 500 USD car.

>shop foreman trying to sell early 80s Toyota Corona for 500

So fucking tempted

PROTIP: Go to a dealership. Start asking the techs, foreman, manager, etc if they're trying to sell a car. At least four of them will be.

In my shop alone there's the Corona and a 626 going for 500, an S12 Silvia project for 1k, and God knows what else

The Wife EuroBeaters