K Veeky Forums convince me why my first non rental car shouldnt be a older subaru impreza wrx sti and not other options...

K Veeky Forums convince me why my first non rental car shouldnt be a older subaru impreza wrx sti and not other options ie truck/different companies/models. Note im a a calicuk so i dont really need a pickup or suv,All wheel drive vastly preffered bonus points for sportier vehicles and your idea of a decent city car capable off light/medium offroad and snowy terrain

AWD sucks

I can't really fault the STI. It's a great car but tends to attract a certain crowd of morons as fans.
Personally, I'd look for a Subaru Forester XT with the 5 speed manual, and swap in the STI's 6 speed manual. The Forester XT gets the STI engine, but with a different turbo so it's slightly detuned. It's less likely to have been abused like a WRX or STI, and the wagon body style makes it infinitely more practical.

not really looking for specifically sti wrx by itself is fine

If you have a choice, get the STI over the WRX. The STI is more reliable since the 5 speed manual and 4 speed automatics used in the Forester XT and the Impreza WRX are known to be made of glass, while the 6 speed in the STI is generally considered bulletproof.

Beyond that, just make sure the maintenance was done and that the timing belt and spark plugs were/are done at 100k like Subaru recommends. Trust me, you don't want to replace the engine if the timing belt snaps.

Not op but can someone tell me what I can expect from a used impreza and a used evo around the 17k price range? Looking to buy one of em

>used impreza
which version?
model years?

>Trust me, you don't want to replace the engine if the timing belt snaps.
Why did you mention that? Are the timing belts different to other makes/models, prone to break?

I don't know when my timing belt was change and worried it will break, but I've looked at it and it's not too bad, cars done nearly 300,000km should I be worried? It's only a gx 2.0

Expect to overpay for a higher mileage car that *might* have been cared for, or to overpay for a clapped out lower mileage car. Be prepared to fix things, no fault of the car but because of the shitty fan base.
They aren't particularly prone to break, it's just regular maintenance. If your car has a timing belt and not a chain, be worried, be very worried.

But are you saying this about all cars or just Subaru impreza's?

And I've looked at it there are no cracks, only sign of wearing is slight indentation on the flat side where the teeth are underneath

I should be ok for about 1000kms at least don't you think? I can't afford to fix it yet and hardly drive it

What I'm saying about timing belts goes for everything. You NEED to do them around 100k or you risk fucking your engine IF your car has one. You may have a chain.
Are you OP or nah? Because if you can't afford to maintain your current car then you can't afford a new car

I'm not Op, thanks. You are right a lot of people buying their first car need to know about timing belts.....

>You may have a chain.
All Subaru EJ engines, like those used in all 1994-2011 Imprezas, 2012-2013 WRX and STIs, and the 2014 to current STIs, have a timing belt.
Other engines with timing belts include:
Honda D-series
Honda B-series
Toyota A-series
GM LQ1
Ford Zetec
Ford CVH
Volkswagen I4's

Companies have been switching to timing chains which, generally, last a minimum of 300k before needing to be changed.

Timing belts NEED to be changed when the manufacturer recommends it. It is not something that can wait. On average, a timing belt is about $500-$750 to replace.
So what exactly happens if a timing belt breaks? The engines timing is thrown off. This is bad because most engines are interference engines, meaning the valves and pistons occupy the same space at different times. This makes timing critical. If the timing is thrown off, the pistons will hit the valves which causes damage that will fuck up the entire engine.
The average cost of a brand new replacement engine is 3-4k.

So yea, timing belts are important and NEED to be done on time when the manufacturer recommends it.

And Subaru's timing belt intervals are considered long. Most companies recommend replacing the timing belt every 60,000 miles.

> belts need to be changed
> cost $500

Get fucked, Volvo red block non-interference valves
Belts cost fuck all also

there are some non-interference engines that suffer no problems if the belt snaps, but the list of those is very small. Ford Zetec engines are non-interference.

And that is the AVERAGE price of having a MECHANIC replace the timing belt for you PROFESSIONALLY. Most of it is labor since most cars are FWD with transverse mounted engines.

Or you could be patient and wait for the right deal

>114k
>07 STI
>Clean
>$11,000

Had to get the timing belt replaced and do a bit of detailing (mostly small scratches)

Lowest im going for is 2004 but up to 2011 and im looking at some of their bigger options as well

What model year is that?

as a current STi owner, don't buy an STi.

Can confirm, unless you have deep pockets or are lucky enough to get one with low miles (even then it may have issues)

Op here im planning on buying one over 70k miles on it

Make sure you have service records and MINIMAL mawds

Dealer?

Meant to say not over 70k FUCK
No idea what mawds is
Havent decided on model or dealer but looking within 200 miles

Mods* buy from dealer where warranty is offered (you want one on this car)

You're gonna have a hard time paying for both the ridiculous insurance and the vape juice at the same time.

That's about it though, they're pretty good cars. Seeing as you're buying used, steer well clear of ones that have a shitload of mods done by the previous owner.

I'm a fan of the new wrx. Buying a used STI is pretty much a gamble on how the previous owner treated it. Where I'm at they are usually overpriced and the problems under represented

You can import one from Japan for around that price which is what I would recommend depending on what your import laws are like.
Cars imported from Japan tend to be in a lot better condition than ones outside of Japan just because of their vehicle laws and somewhat because of their culture (most vehicles are from original owners because it's looked down upon to buy used cars).

What are your goals with the car?
Are you just going to lolstancefag it or rally it or what nigger?

I don't think i've ever seen a post where i can spot who has never imported a car or worked on one straight from japan quicker than i did with this post..

2004-2008
The specific one in the pic is an 06-08 model.

There's about 100% chance that its been run hard with any older wrx