Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

So I got an old fox body to learn wrenching on. I got the car from an older gent for $100, what tools should I need and how much should I spend on them? I plan on just buying a Haynes manual and youtubing everything. Vehicle is an 88 Mustang LX hatchback.

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/Stanley-40-Piece-Socket-Set-STMT71648/21930756
homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-268-Piece-H268MTS/203541462
sears.com/craftsman-230-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00950230000P
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also I already own an engine hoist because shenanigans. So if I ever need to pull the engine to do something I can.

Get yourself a little socket set like this.

walmart.com/ip/Stanley-40-Piece-Socket-Set-STMT71648/21930756

That would be enough to take anything apart needed?

no. you are going to need wrenches and screw drivers, breaker bar, pliers and probably a few other things I cant think of off the top of my head.

Get yourself a tool set that has all that shit in it already, you will spend a fucking fortune buying a cheap socket set and then buying everything else individually. Look for 100+ piece tool sets.

Perhaps not the right thread to ask, but isn't Sears going out of business in the US? I'd figure it to be a decent place to get relatively good tools on sale.

Does the vehicle run?
If not you need work space more than anything. Get some folding tables up so you have a bench for tools while wrenching.You will also need good lighting so you can see what the hell is going on.

They just sold craftsmen so maybe those get less expensive but the company itself isn't about to do closing sales

>20 dollars
>a fucking fortune
Don't listen to this guy, kiddo. If you're working on American cars, you'll do fine with a simple socket set on most parts.

Not saying you won't need more tools, but don't skimp out on your socket and ratchets.

My bad. Dyslexia a shit.

homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-268-Piece-H268MTS/203541462

I would get something like this. I bought the $300+ Husky large set when I first starting working on cars and I've never regretted it. I had several sets like recommends and they were all wasted money. I had one tool break from my set in 18 years and Home Depot replaced it from shelf stock. This set looks like it lacks deepwell 1/2" sockets but for the $200 difference between the more complete set, you can fill that in separately.

From my experience:
>12-point sockets are useless weight and are added to make more impressive tool counts
>impact 6-points will save your sockets if you get an air ratchet
>U-joint wobble extensions are gold dust, Jerry!
>a complete set of Harbor Freight torque wrenches is cheaper than a month of phone service
>crescent wrenches exist to round off nuts
>individual screwdrivers are a time-waster once the tip wears
>you will be lazy and strip screws because you didn't want to throw away the screwdriver
>bit driver sets are therefore better

All of my Husky tools have been good quality, from my hand tools to my air ratchet. Lowe's equivalents are likely also as good. Snap-On is the tool equivalent of audiophilia. Your primary shopping consideration should be, can I quickly have this tool replaced if it breaks at no extra charge.

Get this. Honestly it will do everything you need to do. I've got a similar kit that I've used for 3 years now and it's great

sears.com/craftsman-230-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00950230000P

I was looking at those husky ratchets not too long ago. They seem well built, and remind me of some other brand, can't recall which. They're probably outsourced to the same manufacturer.
Also, a set of flare wrenches that fit bleeding nipples can't hurt.

I think they're made by Stanley, or were. My ratchets look the same as what they currently sell. They're comfortable and I recommend them. Craftsman's ratchet is also good quality although I don't care for the raised shapes on the grip.

No the vehicle doesn't run. My brother and I intentionally picked something that we could learn on. That way if we mess up we haven't lost anything except 50 a piece. Good news is it hasn't been in any accidents, the frame is pretty rust free and I'm sure there's plenty of mechanical work to be done we just have no idea what's wrong with it.

I appreciate the inputs guys. Here's to having fun when it gets warmer. Still haven't decided what we want to do as far as a build yet. I'm sure that'll come months down the road we don't even know how to do shit yet. Gotta let the chickens hatch first.

Oh and I forgot to mention we have an open air car port, and a pretty decent work bench already outside. My back yard is a privacy fenced in quarter acre so I have room.

Bump. Anyone else have a project?

>using a horror freight torque wrench
It's like you want shit to fall off.

>Haynes

Go to Rockauto and buy a Bishko reprinted Factory Service Manual. They're what the dealer shops used when the car was new.

This, I shopped around and got a kobalt one for like $10 more. Sometimes it's not cheap enough to be worth it.

I bought a 230 piece craftsman years ago. All I've bought on top of that is a real torque wrench and some socket/ratchet extenders.

>THREE fucking sets of Allen keys
>a few dozen bits that you'll lose or never use
>230 pieces

Yeah nah, that's a thirty piece set for a hundred damn dollars. Get the duralast set from vatozone for thirty bucks. Same lifetime guarantee, only useful tools included, there are way more stores to get exchanges, and those stores are open earlier and later than all Sears. Oh, and AutoZone isn't on the verge of going out of business.

You gents could be right. However, 10 extra dollars could also mean young OP doesn't bother getting a torque wrench at all.

In my experience, torque wrenches exist to keep young bucks from asserting their masculinity via maximum torque on every threaded object. I very much doubt anyone with a penis has ever undertorqued anything unless he was getting paid to go faster.

I carefully zero my HF torque wrenches immediately after usage and store them in their cases. If you gents care to pretend that some fancier Chinese factory made your Kobalt wrench, that's your affair. In any event, a torque wrench is considered precision measurement equipment and no warranty exists unless the wrench is periodically lab calibrated. I put my extra 10 dollars into another wrench.

OP, get the 1/2" and the 1/4". The 1/2" is always useful because tire joints will never, ever torque your lug nuts to spec and often not at all. The 1/4" is useful for when the factory service manual calls for inch pounds. The 3/8" is mostly exists for those times when you can't be arsed to adapt the 1/2" to the 3/8" sockets you've already got out at the car.

So from what I'm seeing maybe an additional 50 bucks total if I get half and quarter?

Depends on what you're looking at. I've seen the HF torque wrenches go for ~$13 each on sale. The ubiquitous 20% coupon may also be effective.

If you get another brand--and I by no means sneer at Kobalt or Husky or Craftsman--remember that calibration is usually only guaranteed for a year no matter what name is on it.