Looking to buy a winter beater tomorrow and have my heart set on a 1994 Subaru Loyale 4WD wagon...

Looking to buy a winter beater tomorrow and have my heart set on a 1994 Subaru Loyale 4WD wagon. Everything works good except the reverse is out, automatic transmission. The seller mentioned something about a possible vacuum leak in the car causing this. Could it be something that simple? Car is otherwise mint and for $500 obo it's tempting.

if it was that simple he would of fixed it.

Expect reverse to be completely fucked

Any suggestions to try and revive it as a last ditch effort? I can live with it one way or another, just curious.

this
Regardless, get it.

If one of the gears are fucked, a machine shop can make replacements

How much does that usually run?

better yet, anything to look out for when checking the transmission fluid? This will be my first AWD car.

Keep it full, I'd replace the trans and rear diff fluid when you do the oil. These cars like to leak every fluid they have. Another thing to watch is the temp gauge as it probably isn't accurate (when mine reaches 'normal operating temperature' on the gauge it's overheating) there's other little things that go wrong on loyales/gls but there pretty reliable and easy to work on

Buy it, you never really *need* reverse and you can fix it in the summer if you care that much.

It's not awd it's 4wd, if there isn't a button to put it into 4wd (or there's no driveline) it's fwd

Several thousand dollars. Are you serious? You really think someone is going to fix your shitbox AUTOMATIC trans for less than a grand?

So how do you get out of a parking spot without reverse? Do you carry ramps in your car to park on and then slide off of?

These cars give me a boner.
But im scared to buy one because of subaru memes

It will need a transmission. Can you afford to pay someone to put one in? Assuming you can even find a transmission.

Ah I see. Forgot this was right before full time AWD on Subies.

Wasn't expecting anything less than a grand, though given the condition of the car in this rust belt, it might be worth considering.

I would assume just put it in neutral and get out to push. As it sits, I can pull through parking spaces at work and park in my driveway without reverse. That's what I did for my CRX when reverse went out, though that was a manual tranny.

Why the christ would you spend several grand fixing it when you can go to a pick a part and get one for $50-$100?

As stated before, I'm in the rust belt. These cars vanished off the roads here 10 years ago.

Ah sorry, I missed that. Still, I'm sure you could find one somewhere. Maybe take a couple hour trip down to some dryer states and look for one there. Still, I really doubt you couldn't find one. I live in the north west and I was able to find some rust free mr2 rear quarters. That's waaay rarer than an auto loyale tranny desu

don't be retarded and get one

What are their main issues?
Can i easily swap in a newer engine?

Absolutely no clue. All I know is if you don't get a car because of "memes" you're being stupid. Do some research and you'll be good.

Minnesota sucks, unless Iowa or Wisconsin still have some kicking around a boneyard. Regardless, if everything checks out on the car tomorrow, I'll probably buy it.

Go for it. I'm sure you can find a trans if you look hard enough. Shouldn't even be that difficult I reckon, you'd be surprised.

>winter is halfway over
>buy a winter beater

Tends to happen when someone steals your original winter beater.

>reverse is out, automatic transmission
Oy fucking vey the responses in this thread.

It just needs a band adjustment (basically free) or a rebuild is all. That's a couple hundred bucks if you do the rebuild yourself.